Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIES OF FRANCE  (Read 90909 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:FRIES OF FRANCE
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2005, 12:00:35 PM »

Hmmm... Now what to do until the Emmys.. ??  Hmm...

I think I need some chocolate... Hmm...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2005, 12:01:21 PM »

DR Jason, elmore, TPunk, Rodzinksi et al - Dinner tonight?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2005, 12:08:23 PM »

She said boom-chicka-chicka-chicka-fu...erm...afternoon, all!

Today is quite loverly and here I sit in my apartment. Oh, well...I'm off to the theatuh in a couple of hours to see THE LION KING (or LE ROI LEON for DR Francois). That'll be fun provided I don't get a nosebleed up in the stratosphere. :)

My roommate is annoying me today. I don't know why - she just is. She announced to me that this week she will be eating only PB&J for lunch. Am I supposed to do something with that? It makes no difference to me what she eats for lunch, and PB&J is a huge improvement over what she normally eats. Then she proceeded to speculate on what it must be like to be Paris Hilton. How awful it must be to never have to work for a thing in your life. "What kind of life is that?," she asked. Um..the one most of us dream of?? Then, after she left the room, I changed the channel from "Extra" to a biomentary of Ernest Hemingway on PBS. When she came back in the room she asked in disbelief, "Is it over!?!" Apparently she's more interested Ms. Hilton than Mr. Hemingway. Que lastima.

TOD: I was a huge video game freak as a kid. I played Nintendo for days. Super Mario Bros. 1-3 were my favorites. Now I love Mario Kart on my Nintendo 64, though I rarely play it.

These days I find myself playing strategy games on my PC - "Age of Empires II," "Zoo Tycoon," and "Rollercoaster Tycoon II." Basically you have to build things and protect your investments. It's great and I have been known to play for (literally) 5 hours or more in one game! I wish I had a laptop so I could play it on trips and such... It's a great waste of time when I haven't the money to go out and do the things I'd really like to do.

Jason

« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2005, 12:09:01 PM »

DR Jose: I'm doing the LION KING thing from 6:30-9:30. I'm up for it if you want to do an early dinner...

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2005, 12:11:05 PM »

DRMBARNUM how is the Hammer Horror DVD set.  There are a lot of complaints about defective discs!

Ya, I have heard about those defects with many of the Universal DVD sets. So far so good, for mine...but then I have only watched one of the movies! LOL!

However, my ADAM-12 dvd did pixilate and then freeze up during one episode that mom and I were watching this week. Very frustrating! And it was during a rather tense scene of Kent McCord getting grilled by Jack Hogan.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2005, 12:12:02 PM »

Der Brucer and I have a very large, bone-in pork shoulder to roast tomorrow.  We're planning a family dinner at his daughter's, the only time that family really sits down to eat together, and the only time the grandlads get drilled on proper behavior at the table.

Now we just have to figure out what to serve with the pork.  That family is so picky, and out of control when it comes to the "You don't have to eat it if you don't want to" rule that Mommy has imposed.  Dammit, sometimes kids DO have to eat things even if they don't want to.  Eight-year-olds have no concept of a proper diet.

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »

I've checked out each of the transfers on the Hammer DVD.  None are what I would call world-class and one is truly awful (Phantom of the Opera) - however, it's nice to have them all in one set, and the other transfers are decent.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2005, 12:15:09 PM »

However, my ADAM-12 dvd did pixilate and then freeze up during one episode that mom and I were watching this week. Very frustrating! And it was during a rather tense scene of Kent McCord getting grilled by Jack Hogan.
Did Hogan give McCord a quarter-turn after a few minutes, so McCord could sport those nifty grill marks?

:o ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jason

« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2005, 12:16:18 PM »

I just received an email from my friend (and Broadway megasuperstar) Bryan Batt. He and his partner own a high-end retail store in the French Quarter of New Orleans. In his email, he indicated that the store suffered a minimal amount of hurricane damage (though he didn't mention anything about looting), but the store will be closed indefinitely. They hope to re-open as soon as they're able. They're still taking online orders, including Christmas ornaments that are being sold for hurricane relief money for the City.

Here's a link to the store's website. The ornaments are beautiful, and I know Bryan would appreciate any business, so please feel free to pass this link on to any of your friends/family who might like to help out.

http://www.hazelnutneworleans.com/

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2005, 12:17:10 PM »

DR Jose: I'm doing the LION KING thing from 6:30-9:30. I'm up for it if you want to do an early dinner...

That actually might work.  I want to be back in time for the Emmys.  Let me jump in the shower - finally - and then I'll give you a call.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2005, 12:18:16 PM »

Or just leave call me and leave a message if you want to get a head start on heading into the city.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2005, 12:18:56 PM »

Of course, by this time, I could have called you... Ah, well...

At least that was good for a post or two.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »

What time would be good for you? 5-ish somewhere in the Theatre District? I have to be at the theatre by 6:15 to pick up my ticket...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2005, 12:27:42 PM »

Yesterday, I think it was, our esteemed BK commented on the limited menu at In-N-Out Burgers.

Well, that's not exactly true.  There are ways of ordering what's known as "the secret menu", which they've even published on their website.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2005, 12:30:34 PM »

I forgot the Emmys are on tonight.  How jolly.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2005, 12:52:14 PM »

What time would be good for you? 5-ish somewhere in the Theatre District? I have to be at the theatre by 6:15 to pick up my ticket...

Yep - Calling you momentarily.

DR FJL - Care to join in on the fray?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2005, 12:53:44 PM »

Yesterday, I think it was, our esteemed BK commented on the limited menu at In-N-Out Burgers.

Well, that's not exactly true.  There are ways of ordering what's known as "the secret menu", which they've even published on their website.

Hmm...  Now I just want to know how to order their fries with the extra toppings... And just how many extras you can get.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2005, 12:57:02 PM »

DR Jose - Normally I would, but we're having company for dinner.  Thanks for asking, though.

P.S.  Have you chosen a place for the dinner on Oct. 5th yet?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2005, 12:59:55 PM »

DR Jose - Normally I would, but we're having company for dinner.  Thanks for asking, though.

P.S.  Have you chosen a place for the dinner on Oct. 5th yet?

You're welcome.  Someday soon, I hope.

As for October 5th... The questionnaire/poll will be going out tomorrow morning.  Stay tuned.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2005, 01:00:00 PM »

Speaking of people named Miles, does anybody remember Miles Chapin, who had made such a splash in the movie FRENCH POSTCARDS?  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2005, 01:04:45 PM »

Yes, DRJOSE, Professor Auer is still on faculty at the School of Music at IU Bloomington.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »

Excellent Sylvia Miles stories.  

I got back into bed at nine-thirty and just woke up.  I needed that.

Re Black Narcissus - there is a new region 2 DVD coming out next week in the UK that apparently blows away the Criterion.  I've got it on order and will report on it when it arrives.  Also, I believe A Matter of Life and Death has finally been announced for DVD here in the US.

I want a restored TALES OF HOFFMANN!  Criterion announced one about three years ago.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2005, 01:17:33 PM »

We've had Vera Miles stories, Sylvia Miles stories, now let's have some Miles Davis stories, Miles Malleson stories, and any other Miles we can think of.

I was once in a production of Miles Malleson's veddy British translation of Moliere's THE MISER.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2005, 01:20:13 PM »

Hmmm... Now what to do until the Emmys.. ??  Hmm...

I think I need some chocolate... Hmm...

;D

DRJose, I'm trying to spend no more money before I leave on Wed.  I've got so much cash coming, probably not until after Oct 1, and next to nothing right now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2005, 01:22:52 PM »

My roommate is annoying me today. I don't know why - she just is. She announced to me that this week she will be eating only PB&J for lunch. Am I supposed to do something with that? It makes no difference to me what she eats for lunch, and PB&J is a huge improvement over what she normally eats. Then she proceeded to speculate on what it must be like to be Paris Hilton. How awful it must be to never have to work for a thing in your life. "What kind of life is that?," she asked. Um..the one most of us dream of?? Then, after she left the room, I changed the channel from "Extra" to a biomentary of Ernest Hemingway on PBS. When she came back in the room she asked in disbelief, "Is it over!?!" Apparently she's more interested Ms. Hilton than Mr. Hemingway. Que lastima.

I suspect at least one of our DRs feels the same way.  Your roommate sounds like the Dorothy Parker quote "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think."  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2005, 01:23:31 PM »

Thank you, DR Danise, for reminding me that I also play Mah Jongg on the computer quite a bit.

I like games that can be played fairly quickly. I usually have so many other thigns to do, so a quick game of Spider Solitaire or Mah Jongg is sometimes just the thing!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2005, 01:24:06 PM »

You and your mother watch S&M together?  You're becoming much more fascinating, DRMBarnum!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2005, 01:25:15 PM »

I will have to set my VCRs to tape the pre-show Emmy stuff (I want to see Kathy Griffin...I loved her show "Kathy Griffin:  My Life on the D-List) because a friend (and former co-worker) of my mom's is starting a new business and we're all going over to her house to find out what it's about.  My parents said that they thought that it has something to do with lawyers and Catherine (the business owner) said it had something to do with identity theft...so I have absolutely no clew as to what any of it's about.  We were asked to be there before 3:30 (PDT) but I still have to take a shower and eat and all that pre going-outside-for-the-first-time-of-the-day stuff. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2005, 01:25:39 PM »

I just received an email from my friend (and Broadway megasuperstar) Bryan Batt. He and his partner own a high-end retail store in the French Quarter of New Orleans. In his email, he indicated that the store suffered a minimal amount of hurricane damage (though he didn't mention anything about looting), but the store will be closed indefinitely. They hope to re-open as soon as they're able. They're still taking online orders, including Christmas ornaments that are being sold for hurricane relief money for the City.

Here's a link to the store's website. The ornaments are beautiful, and I know Bryan would appreciate any business, so please feel free to pass this link on to any of your friends/family who might like to help out.

http://www.hazelnutneworleans.com/

DRJason, I love Bryan!  Tell him hello for me.  I glad he didn't lose everything.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2005, 01:26:53 PM »

I haven't watched the silent CAMILLE yet, but one of these days for sure!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up