Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIES OF FRANCE  (Read 91081 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:FRIES OF FRANCE
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2005, 01:28:35 PM »

Speaking of people named Miles, does anybody remember Miles Chapin, who had made such a splash in the movie FRENCH POSTCARDS?  

I'm very fond of his brother Ted, and I adored his mother Betty, who was a wonderful lady.  She died at far too young an age.  The last time I saw her alive, she was getting ready for Miles' wedding.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2005, 01:30:31 PM »

A Criterion Collection DVD of TALES OF HOFFMAN is due by the end of the year. I was just reading about it this week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2005, 01:31:31 PM »

A Criterion Collection DVD of TALES OF HOFFMAN is due by the end of the year. I was just reading about it this week.

Thank you!  That makes my day.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2005, 01:31:53 PM »

I watched PSYCHO II this afternoon. Looked good for a film more than 20 years old now (yikes!) And the sound was much richer and more enveloping than it was at the theater when I saw it. Another good Universal transfer.

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2005, 01:32:37 PM »

Thank you!  That makes my day.

I'm looking forward to it, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2005, 01:33:41 PM »

DR JRand, you MUST watch BLACK NARCISSUS all the way to the end. The ending is one of the most harrowing and haunting conclusions of ANY film of the 1940s.

Matt H.

« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2005, 01:34:46 PM »

And to think this was the year Loretta Young won the Oscar for THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER, a perfectly pleasant but far from mind-blowing performance.

Deborah Kerr's work makes Young's performance seem negligible.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2005, 01:36:31 PM »

After I finshed with PSYCHO II, I put in HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN. I have seen it probably ten times or so, but it's just so magical. I'll continue watching it right up to the Emmys.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #158 on: September 18, 2005, 01:37:03 PM »

As for video/computer games, in the late 1970s (I think) my parents bought some kind of Pong game.  I'm not sure if it was Atari or some cheap knock-off, but we had a lot of fun with it...it was the very first computer-type game that we had ever owned, and the only game that my parents owned.  When I was in high school, my best friend Andrew and I would go to the local Pietro's Pizza and play Jungle Hunt.  We both loved this game.  It was a pretty simple game, of course.  You just had to jump over logs and alligators and swing on vines avoiding other obstacles and enemies...but what I now think was unique about it was that you moved from the right to the left.  Just about every other game that I can think of moves from left to right, but this was backwards.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2005, 01:37:24 PM »

And, of course, I'll be recording the fourth episode of HBO's ROME as well though I probably won't watch it until tomorrow.

George

« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2005, 01:41:53 PM »

Since then, the only real video/computer games that I owned were either Game Boy games (I only got a regular Game Boy and a color Game Boy...I never got the Game Boy Advance) and Super Nintendo.  Super Mario Brothers (the free game that came with the Super Nintendo console) was my game.  I played that for hours!  I spent literally HOURS trying to learn how to fly once I got the cape and the feather.  But I learned!  On the island are 96 (I think) different little areas and four Switch Palaces.  When you (very easily) get through the switch palaces and jump on the giant switch, outlined blocks in other areas would turn solid and help you get through each area (if my explanation makes sense :-\).  Anyway, I got so good (if I do say so myself) that I could go through the entire game without switching any of the giant switches.  A couple of years ago, I played it for the first time after several years and, even though it took a little time to remember where everything was, I was still able to get through it without much trouble at all. ;D

The only role-playing game that I ever got into was The Legend of Zelda for Super Nintendo.  I also played that for hours on end.

I never got Nintendo 64 or any of the Playstation games or consoles or the X-Box or anything that advanced.  I'll stay with Super Mario Brothers, thank you very much. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2005, 01:46:24 PM »

DR JRand, you MUST watch BLACK NARCISSUS all the way to the end. The ending is one of the most harrowing and haunting conclusions of ANY film of the 1940s.

That's the plan, DRMATTH!  ;D  If I can stay awake.  8)

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2005, 01:47:38 PM »

I'm very fond of his brother Ted, and I adored his mother Betty, who was a wonderful lady.  She died at far too young an age.  The last time I saw her alive, she was getting ready for Miles' wedding.

And postcards also featured the lovely Blanche Baker - daughter of Carroll B & Jack Garfein.....

Blanche favors her mother in a lovely way.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2005, 01:48:38 PM »

DR RODZINSKI we had the Magnavox Odyssey game, but it didn't get played much since the MAG was the BIG tv of the house.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2005, 01:49:49 PM »

I haven't watched the Emmys in a decade.  But, this is haineshisway.com, so let's have a complete Emmy report as the show happens.  Let's hear about the winners, the losers, the fashion, and the facial work, both female and male.

Michael

« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2005, 01:54:28 PM »

Whenever you saw Miss Miles in public, she was with 4-10 men.   I've never seen any female star with that sort of ego-feeding mania.  I have a memory of Anne Bancroft in a film doing a parody of a star surrounded by and dancing with a lot of gay men.  I've always wondered if she was channeling Sylvia Miles.  My friend Lorraine Serabian was in RUTHLESS with her.  I don't think they liked each other too much.

And sylvia was playing a gay man in drag and her/his name was Sylvia
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2005, 01:54:44 PM »

As for actual games on my computer:  I regularly play Free Cell.  I bought "Bicycle Solitaire" that has over 50 different solitaire games (Scorpion solitaire is my favorite), and I have several different versions of Mah Jongg that all have different options.  My computer also came with Pinball, but I haven't played that in a while.  I also got from my local library something called "After Dark Games" (which has absolutely nothing[/i] to do with the magazine :o).  It has 11 different games (including a solitaire game) and is really geared for kids that aren't too young.  One of the games is called Zapper and you just have to answer questions either yes or no and sometimes it gives you an explanation of the question.  For instance, one question is something like "Was ancient Troy as large as modern day San Francisco?"  The answer is "No.  It was only seven acres big."  The question writers also have a sense of humor.  Another question is "Is Jerry Lewis funny?"  The correct answer is "No." ;)

Michael

« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2005, 01:59:49 PM »

I just received an email from my friend (and Broadway megasuperstar) Bryan Batt. He and his partner own a high-end retail store in the French Quarter of New Orleans. In his email, he indicated that the store suffered a minimal amount of hurricane damage (though he didn't mention anything about looting), but the store will be closed indefinitely. They hope to re-open as soon as they're able. They're still taking online orders, including Christmas ornaments that are being sold for hurricane relief money for the City.

Here's a link to the store's website. The ornaments are beautiful, and I know Bryan would appreciate any business, so please feel free to pass this link on to any of your friends/family who might like to help out.

http://www.hazelnutneworleans.com/

You mean Bryan is gay? What's the world coming to. :)
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2005, 02:03:22 PM »

DR Elmore - I hadn't realized when I had posted that question that Miles Chapin was Ted Chapin's brother.   I remember having seen Miles at DAS LUSITANIA SONGSPIEL a generation ago, right after the movie had come out, and he seemed very pleased about having been recognized and seemed to be a real doll of a person to the fans.   (That was also the night Sigourney Weaver hit me right in the head with some sort of vegetable that she and Christopher Durang were throwing into the audience, in the course of their Brecht parody IIRC, so that night is etched in my memory.  :) )

Has Miles basically left show business?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2005, 02:07:55 PM »

Well, I just ordered the tix for Jed and I to see Sweeney Todd at the 5th Avenue in October.  It's my birthday present to him...along with dinner and dessert...so it should be a great day for us.  But I must say, Ticketmaster charges obscene amounts of extra fees!  

Michael

« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2005, 02:09:03 PM »

DR Elmoore

saw this cartoon and I thought about you.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2005, 02:12:28 PM »

His mother was Betty Steinway of the Steinway Piano fame
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2005, 02:16:53 PM »

Blanche is the mother of three and divorced.  She lives in LA where she exhibits her sculpture under her married name Blanche Van Dusen.  She won an Emmy for her performance in the mini-series HOLOCAUST.

Brother Herschel Garfein is a composer.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2005, 02:18:13 PM »

I do not watch the Emmys.  Haven't for years. Probably the last time was when my pal Larry Drake won two back to back for best supporting actor in a dramatic series, for his portrayal of Benny in LA LAW.  That was also probably the last time I really watched any network TV with any regularity.

I'll be watching ROME tonight, not the Emmys.  ROME ain't I, CLAUDIUS yet (though Polly Walker is a lucious thing...particularly in the nude), but it's more interesting than most of the stuff on TV these days.  And its history so far is pretty solid.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #174 on: September 18, 2005, 02:20:42 PM »

Steinway?

I love to stop right
Beside an upright.
Or a high-toned baby grand!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2005, 02:21:54 PM »

DR CP - did you see NORTH BY NORTHWEST yet?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2005, 02:31:11 PM »

Jed and I had what I believe is the single worst experience in a restaurant that I've ever had....period.  

After the show last night we decided to head to our neighborhood Shari's (a Denny's clone) for a late night snack.  We decided to split some nachos, and we each had a drink.  From the time we got in to the time the guy showed up to take our order was at least 10 minutes, and that was only the beginning.  
The food took forever to come, and the nachos were skimpy on cheese, too many olives, forgot the tomatoes, and didn't include the salsa and sour cream that was supposed to be there.  The bowl of chilli that came as a dip was half full, over dried, and had clearly come from the bottom of a pot.

It took us another 10 minutes to flag down the waitress and actually get our drinks refilled and the sour cream and salsa delivered.  But the kicker was at the end of the meal.  We finished our last bite of food at 11:40.  We were sitting there, with obviously empty plates in front of us.  At 12:10, we were still sitting there!  Not one person had come over with a check, or to ask if we wanted refills, or ANYTHING.  

We were tempted to just keep sitting there and see exactly how long it would take for them to realize we were there...but eventually we just went and stood at the register.  When the guy came over and asked for our check, we rather pointedly told him that we didn't have it, and had been waiting for it for almost half an hour.  He didn't seem too disturbed.  

Now, the restaurant was not that full, and there were serveral guys there apparantly under the impression that they were being paid to chat with each other about girls.  It was just an awful eating experience.  

Needless to say, there was no tip involved.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2005, 02:48:06 PM »

His mother was Betty Steinway of the Steinway Piano fame

She was indeed, and I adored her.    I once mentioned that I had been working on GIRL CRAZY with John Mauceri, and Betty stiffened and said. "John Mauceri thinks he invented Leonard Bernstein."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »

DRFJL, I have no idea what Miles is doing these days.  He may be acting still.  i've only seen him in the horror flic FUNHOUSE, as I recall.  I've only met him once.  That was at least 7 years ago while I was still at The Drama Book Shop.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2005, 02:54:08 PM »

DR Elmoore

saw this cartoon and I thought about you.

Well, the audience wasn't that full last night, but it's exactly how the morons in front of me were behaving.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up