Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PONTIFICATING ME  (Read 79847 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE PONTIFICATING ME
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2005, 07:30:30 PM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2005, 07:32:52 PM »

I just received this joke in an e-mail from my ex-boyfriend (we're still very good friends :)).  Anyway, I think it's funny:

Subject:  Two Blond Guys

It's not too often that you hear a joke about blond guys...

Two blond guys were working for the city works department. One would dig a hole and the other would follow behind him and fill the hole in.

They worked up one side of the street, then down the other, then moved on to the next street, working furiously all day without rest, one guy digging a hole, the other guy filling it in again.

An onlooker was amazed at their hard work, but couldn't understand what they were doing. So he asked the hole digger, "I'm impressed by the effort you two are putting into your work, but I don't get it -- why do you dig a hole, only to have your partner follow behind and fill it up again?"

The hole digger wiped his brow and sighed, "Well, I suppose it probably looks odd because we're normally a three-man team. But today the guy who plants the trees called in sick."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2005, 07:40:28 PM »

For the most part I can't remember what nights belonged to what shows in OZ.
I would include:
Mickey Mouse Club
Gilligan's Island
I Love Lucy
My Three Sons
The Nelsons

From the BBC:
Steptoe and Son
The Rag Trade
Till Death Do Us Part
Man About The House
On The Buses
AND then

The Carol Burnette Show
The Perry Como Show
Family Affair
77 Sunset Strip
Adventures in Paradise
Hawaiian Eye
Wagon Train
The Untouchables
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2005, 07:59:04 PM »

DRJed, I thought WEST WING and its odor of highfalutin' sanctimony was over after the first episode I caught!

Well, being your birthday and all, I won't disagree TOO vehemently, but I found the first couple seasons some of the best writing I've ever seen on TV.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2005, 08:02:48 PM »

Another Sylvia Miles story:  she did a Tennessee Williams play in London, I think it was VIEUX CARRE.  She and Tennessee were walking down the street one day and they passed this very thin lady.  "Anorexia nervosa," said Sylvia.  "You know everyone!" said Tennessee.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2005, 08:03:42 PM »

Sad to report that one of my favorite actors, John Bromfield, passed away yesterday. I interviewed him earlier this year...he was a very nice guy.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 08:05:01 PM by MBarnum »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2005, 08:05:52 PM »

Well, being your birthday and all, I won't disagree TOO vehemently, but I found the first couple seasons some of the best writing I've ever seen on TV.
Sorry, Jed!  I still think you're great and I value your opinion.  Many of my friends like it enormously.  I loathe it.  Every time I watch it, I think it's a good cast in a carload of crap.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jed

« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2005, 08:10:51 PM »

Sorry, Jed!  I still think you're great and I value your opinion.  Many of my friends like it enormously.  I loathe it.  Every time I watch it, I think it's a good cast in a carload of crap.

Nothing to be sorry for, Larry!  I still think you're great and value your opinion, too... no matter how wrong you may be.  ;D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2005, 08:17:37 PM »

You're right, DR TCB. ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT is definitely an acquired taste. I finally got through an entire episode tonight, and it will be the last one I will watch, I fear. I little too frantic and out there for my taste. But I can see how its fans would be passionate about it. There's nothing like it anywhere else on the dial.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2005, 08:19:08 PM »

Sorry to read about Joel Hirshorn and John Bromfield.

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2005, 08:20:57 PM »

KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL had some very funny lines, and lots of characters who can become very interesting as we get to know them.

Bradley Cooper has VERY sparkling blue eyes in high definition.

Jed

« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2005, 08:22:23 PM »

You're right, DR TCB. ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT is definitely an acquired taste. I finally got through an entire episode tonight, and it will be the last one I will watch, I fear. I little too frantic and out there for my taste. But I can see how its fans would be passionate about it. There's nothing like it anywhere else on the dial.

DG Ann and I are watching it at this very moment.  I've always enjoyed it, while Ann's never been able to get into it.  Works well that it's now a Monday night show, as I'll probably watch it when she's gone at rehearsals with the Seattle Symphony Chorale starting back up in a couple weeks.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2005, 08:22:57 PM »

Happy Birthday to Elmore!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2005, 08:23:24 PM »

After KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL went off, I played HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER from the DVR which comes on at the same time.

I cannot stand TWO AND A HALF MEN, so I will substitute this show in the 9 o'clock slot each week.

Again, some witty banter between friends, but for a comedy show that has gotten the second largest critical acceptance (EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS is far and away the critics' darling this year), I found it a trifle disappointing. Maybe I simply over-expected. I'll be interested to see where this goes over the next weeks.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2005, 08:24:22 PM »

KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL had some very funny lines, and lots of characters who can become very interesting as we get to know them.

Bradley Cooper has VERY sparkling blue eyes in high definition.

I liked the show too- very watchable.  It won't be on my must see list (there are only 2 shows that I can commit to watching every week: Alias and Medium) but I will definitely catch it when I can.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2005, 08:27:18 PM »

Funny that the comedy show I enjoyed the most tonight got the worst critical reaction - OUT OF PRACTICE with Stockard Channing, Henry Winkler, and Jennifer Tilly.

It was created by Joe Keenan and CHristopher Lloyd who were greatly responsible for FRASIER's success, and the show has much of the same witty vibe with sibling rivalry, a dad who's girl crazy, etc. Maybe I just like this style of comedy or maybe I'm just used to it, but I really laughed out loud several times and found it lots of fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2005, 08:30:22 PM »

The DVR picked up MEDIUM tonight, and I'll watch it tomorrow afternoon.

Instead, I watched CSI: MIAMI which continues to be THE most beautifully photographed high definition series on broadcast television.

FJL

« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2005, 08:31:34 PM »

DR Jose - Was I actually showing up as online at 6:15 EST?  I was long since in a cab towards meeting dear friend Ronni (ronnik for anyone who reads All That Chat, she of Ahrens & Flaherty webmistress fame) at that point, so i wonder if Skip was online on my computer.   Or did I leave home having forgotten to sign off HHW?  

As it turned out, a sort of dear acquaintance of dear friend Ronni was on the ad hoc cancellation line and ended up using the extra ticket.   Sorry for asking so last-minute, I didn't know the third ticket would be available until very late.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2005, 08:33:16 PM »

I didn't make it back to THE SPITFIRE GRILL, so I'll finish watching it tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2005, 08:36:01 PM »

I understand that two of the leading actors on ROME (Purefoy and the centurion whose name escapes me) are in the gay British comedy BEDROOMS & HALLWAYS. I will pull this off the shelf over the next couple of days and check them out. I watched it a couple of years ago but have very little memory of it other than one of the characters who is gay begins sleeping with a woman and then becomes conflicted as to his sexual orientation. I'll have more to say when I watch it again.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2005, 08:41:07 PM »

Happy Birthday Elmore!!! The world's foremost expert on BABES IN TOYLAND grows more knowledgeable by the year!

Tomovoz

« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2005, 08:45:07 PM »

"Bedrooms And Hallways" was given to me by a friend who didn't care for it much - I was quite happy to pass it on once I had seen it too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #202 on: September 19, 2005, 08:46:18 PM »

Well I had a lousey commute home since a tanker managed to pour its load of heatingoil all over the expressway halfway between my job and my home,  So the entire 30 mile trip was bumper bumper on allthe eastward roads (and I think I tried them all!)

And when I arrived home what did I find in my mailbox?

A present form MattH!!! Thank you Matt for putting a good ending on a bad evening!!  I shall listen to it on the way into the office tomorrow!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2005, 08:47:06 PM »

!!!!!!!!!
(Just in case I didn't have enough exclamation points in that last post!!!!)

!!!!!

vixmom

« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2005, 08:49:30 PM »

Tomovoz... do you remember a  show about a widowed mother and her divorced son living together... she was a real curmudgeon and he wasn't anything to write home about either...but it was funny as anything.  I beleive it was Australian.  The local PBS channel used to show it here about 18 years ago and it was probably not new then.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 08:54:56 PM by vixmom »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2005, 08:50:08 PM »

I loved Sheriff of Cochise when I was a young'un.  It starred Mr. John Bromfield.

Tomovoz

« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2005, 08:52:53 PM »

"Mother & Son" Gary McDonald and the late Ruth Cracknell.  IMHO the best TV ever to come out of OZ.
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2005, 08:53:59 PM »

I tried to watch  "How I Met Your Mother".  Call me a prude, but I don;t really think chat about spanking fetishes and  "super penises" (or was it "smart penis" whatever.... is really all that appropriate at 8:30 on network TV

I think I might have found the show funny if I didn't have to keep hitting the mute and making sure that the Vixter was out of earshot.  

What happened to "The Family Hour" of 8 - 9 for goish sake?

vixmom

« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2005, 09:00:21 PM »

"Mother & Son" Gary McDonald and the late Ruth Cracknell.  IMHO the best TV ever to come out of OZ.

That's the one!! I wonder if it became available on a DVD format I could play here. (I am so pathetic I don't even know what DVD region I live in...don't anybody tell Matt H or he'll demand his CD back!! )
 :D

Whenever I find snails in my garden (they love to eat my Hostas those devils) I think of the episode wher the mother is picking snails off her roses and throwing them over the garden wall into the neighbors' garden and the old lady in the next yard  is picking them up and throwing them back and they get into a snail  throwing fight

vixmom

« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2005, 09:02:28 PM »

BK.  They are showing a particularly funny (IMHO) rerun of The Daily Show on the Comedy Channel tonight.  You might want to give it a try, at least the first 10 minutes or so...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up