Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ROUSING NOTES  (Read 81819 times)

Jed

Re:THE ROUSING NOTES
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2005, 08:42:45 PM »

Rabbits don't usually sing.

Lucky for you we've got that "no groaning" rule around here!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2005, 08:44:38 PM »

Lucky for you we've got that "no groaning" rule around here!
My lucky rabbit's foot works again.

Guess it's the Bunny hop for this page!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »

I going to head for bed a little earlier than usual tonight since it was later than usual last night.

Have good evenings/mornings, everyone.

Good night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2005, 08:48:21 PM »

DR Elmore -  Dear Friend Do-Re-Milla, who compiles the "Today's Birthdays" list of prominent theater folk on Talkin' Broadway, was so sorry she missed your birthday on her listing yesterday.  She just didn't have a birthday listed for you, but she promised that will be rectified in her files ASAP and it'll be on the list in future years.  (Unless of course you'd rather not be on it, in which case I'll mention that to her.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2005, 09:05:46 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... There are still a few wine glasses in the sink to be washed, as well as the cookies sheets the appetizers were cooked on (they're in the oven)... The dishwasher is full and running... And most of us here in the apartment have a slight buzz from consuming various bottles of wine.  In short, it was a wonderful evening.

In short...  We had "family" night here at the apartment.  Faith and I cooked dinner - sauteed chicken breasts drizzled with a balsamic glaze with shallots and mushrooms, sauteed fresh peas and fresh corn, and a simple bruschetta with fresh mozzarella and a homemade salsa rosa.  YUM!

A couple of friends and friends of friends came over.  We laughed, we drank, we played "Killer Bunnies", and we drank some more.  OH!  And we had a Chocolate Blackout Cake for dessert too!  -With Breyer's Butter Pecan Ice Cream on the side.

So, now I'm sitting here with a very full stomach just checking my e-mail and reading the posts here on HHW...

:)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 09:19:41 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2005, 09:10:09 PM »

And I have to say, the "scenery" earlier tonight was quite "scenic".  Two chorus boys who were in town on a break from their show in Las Vegas; a personal trainer from Equinox gym; and a few other nice looking young gentlemen.  And my roommate, Faith, was looking model-gorgeous tonight as well.

...Of course, now I'm kicking myself for not taking my camera out.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2005, 09:16:02 PM »

And it really is sad to see that All Shook Up will be closing this weekend.  And on the same day as Lennon.  But two jukebox musicals on one day... Hmm...

*However, I have to say the buzz on the new Johnny Cash show/revue that is currently running up in Buffalo has been very good.  And the reason everyone is enjoying it: It's basically just a concert of Johnny Cash songs.  No book is forced onto the material.  I guess Richard Maltby, Jr., took a page from his own book, namely the success of Ain't Misbehavin'.  Just one song after another with bits of biographical material.  As Sondheim so eloquently put it: What's hard is simple.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2005, 09:16:47 PM »

Sister Clodagh, Sister Clodagh!

How was that for a non-sequitur?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2005, 09:18:59 PM »

...And in the timing is everything category:  The official announcement came out today regarding the upcoming reading of A Tale of Two Cities with Cheyenne Jackson, the star of All Shook Up.

*Although, the show is still director-less.  And it's still planning the run in Chicago later this year, and a Broadway opening next year.

Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2005, 09:21:16 PM »

DR Jason - Glad to hear you were able to get your memory for your computer.  Did you end up installing it yourself?  If so.. Pretty easy, ain't it?  -Although, I have to say, those loud "snaps" still scare me.  And, hopefully, you didn't blow a good chunk of change on it.  Need to save those pennies for more Banana Pudding at Magnolia.

Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2005, 09:26:54 PM »

DR Elmore -  Dear Friend Do-Re-Milla, who compiles the "Today's Birthdays" list of prominent theater folk on Talkin' Broadway, was so sorry she missed your birthday on her listing yesterday.  She just didn't have a birthday listed for you, but she promised that will be rectified in her files ASAP and it'll be on the list in future years.  (Unless of course you'd rather not be on it, in which case I'll mention that to her.)

DRFJL, I'm flattered that someone thinks of me as a "prominent theatre folk."  I'm very happy to be on her list.  Please give her my thanks.

I finished the Faith Prince band parts around 7:00, photocopied them on to heavy stock, and dropped them off to Alex Rybeck around 8:45.  I got home in time to catch MY NAME IS EARL (?).   I'm now packed for travel but too wired to sleep.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2005, 09:37:04 PM »

DR Jose: I was happy to see that Cheyenne has something else lined up already. I'm also happy that ALL SHOOK UP managed to squeeze out over 200 performances and LENNON didn't. Is that bad?

Since the show is closing so much earlier than expected, is there a chance someone else might snatch up the Palace before LESTAT? Disney's not gonna change their mind about the Richard Rodgers and try to steal the Palace for TARZAN, are they?

I did install the memory myself. I had installed a memory card in another computer many years ago, but it wasn't my computer and someone else had picked out the hardware, so I didn't stress as much as I did today. The snaps certainly gave me a few palpatations...:)

It was $48. That leaves me a couple of bucks for some pudding. When is that happening again, by the way...? ;)

Glad you had a fun party tonight.

DR Elmore: BEST TRAVELLING VIBES TO YOU!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2005, 09:51:01 PM »

DR Elmore: BEST TRAVELLING VIBES TO YOU!!

Thank you, DRJason!  I'll see you  next week!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 09:51:24 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2005, 09:53:57 PM »

Safe travels, Dr Elmore

Cillaliz

« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2005, 09:55:09 PM »

Well, I just stopped in for a minute. I need to get some sleep. I have a contentious morning ahead in court, so I need to be on top of my game.

Night all

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2005, 09:58:23 PM »

Have a great time in Ohio, DR Elmore, we'll miss you while you're away.  Safe traveling vibes to you.  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2005, 10:04:47 PM »

DR Jose: I was happy to see that Cheyenne has something else lined up already. I'm also happy that ALL SHOOK UP managed to squeeze out over 200 performances and LENNON didn't. Is that bad?

No, that's not bad.  Not bad at all.  *I'm just really surprised no one picked it up for a tour and/or even a Vegas run of the show.  It really a very audience-friendly property.  I mean if Mamma Mia! can still be on the road after five+ plus years - and it's booked for at least another 18 months(!), I don't see any reason why All Shook Up couldn't do the same thing.  -And if I was the producer, I'd start touring the show in the smaller markets first - two to three week sit-downs max.  Heck, even Bombay Dreams is getting a tour?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2005, 10:11:50 PM »

Since the show is closing so much earlier than expected, is there a chance someone else might snatch up the Palace before LESTAT? Disney's not gonna change their mind about the Richard Rodgers and try to steal the Palace for TARZAN, are they?

If anything does come into The Palace, it will most likely just be a special event show - like last year's Vanessa Williams' Christmas concerts.

The San Francisco run of Lestat is scheduled to close January  29, 2006.  Right now, the official Broadway opening night is April 13, with previews starting a couple of weeks before that.  So, and this is total speculation on my part, if the San Francisco run proves to be successful, then Lestat could take residency a couple of weeks earlier at The Palace - early March as opposed to mid-March.

*And, apparently, the producers of Princesses are shopping for a theater, but they can't seem to find one big enough for the show.  -But won't the Minskoff be available come mid-January.  Or even possibly The Marquis?

;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 10:15:34 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: September 20, 2005, 10:14:50 PM »

I did install the memory myself. I had installed a memory card in another computer many years ago, but it wasn't my computer and someone else had picked out the hardware, so I didn't stress as much as I did today. The snaps certainly gave me a few palpatations...:)

It was $48. That leaves me a couple of bucks for some pudding. When is that happening again, by the way...? ;)

Glad to know you accomplished your mission successfully.  :)

And $48?  Not bad at all.  How many MBs did that buy you?

As for the Banana Pudding...  I'm actually thinking of taking a brief break from sugar until the walking and eating tour - which is just two weeks away!

-But you know how to get there on your own now, don't you?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2005, 10:17:08 PM »

DR elmore - Safe travels to you, my friend!  Bon voyage!

*And did you decide which route (subway and bus) youre going to take in the morning?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2005, 10:20:14 PM »

Well.. I ended up washing the rest of the dishes, cleaning out some things from the fridge and freezer, and taking the garbage out.  Whew!

-But, strangely enough, I really do like cleaning.  And I really do have that "son of parents in the food service industry" gene.  I spent a good part of the evening cooking the dinner and washing dishes.  And I still had fun.  I do like playing host when I can, and it really was nice doing some cooking-cooking - it was my first time since I've been in NYC that I've broken out my good knives!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2005, 10:20:42 PM »

And now for a cup of some green tea/herbal infusion... Mmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2005, 10:27:51 PM »

I try to keep a calm exterior, but inwardly I'm seething.  The thought of an eight-year-old child controlling his parents to this extent that it endangers his health, yet they aren't strong enough to stop what is happening, is infuriating to me.

At least the rest of the family enjoyed the meal.   :-\

Ugh!

You're in a very difficult situation.  It sounds to me like you're getting to the point where you'll either have to make a very concerted effort to take over the reins, or just give up the fight and let nature - and lackadaisical parenting - takes it's course.

Has the one grandlad been seeing a doctor already in regards to his digestive problems?  If so, could you possibly speak to the doctor, and sort of team up stealthily?  And if not, well...

Well... When the boy reaches his teens in a few years, well, maybe then his parents will get the point.  -A few years too late.

:-\
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 10:28:52 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2005, 10:31:09 PM »

Or...

You could go the route my brother had to take with his son (my nephew)...  He would start letting him have homemade milkshakes and smoothies every day.  With a scoop of Bene-fiber blended in.  -And those orange-flavored Bene-fiber chewables, really do look and taste like candy.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2005, 10:38:11 PM »

Details, please.  Because we've got the beef on sale at the store, at a very good price, and I could use some suggestions.

My favorite way to prepare a London Broil - or whatever they happen to be labeling as London Broil at the store (but that's another column) - is with a salt crust.   Lots of kosher salt, eggs whites and a little bit of water.  -There's a basic recipe on the boxes of Morton's Kosher Salt.  Just mix that all up, form a base with the paste, place the cut of meat on top, and then enclose the meat with the rest of the salt mixture, and bake.  -For some reason 400 degrees sounds right to me right now.  Then once the meat is cooked to your desired degree of doneness, then just take it out the oven, and let it rest a bit on the counter.  Then the fun begins!  -And the grandlads could join in on this part...  Just start breaking away the salt crust - if you have a small mallet and "chisel", it makes for a very showy presentation.  The beef comes out very evenly done, and not at all salty.  *And the leftovers served cold are pretty good too from London Broil cooked this way.  -And some people do serve their London Broil cold, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2005, 10:40:46 PM »

Or you can always make a Beef Wellington, or even some individual Beef Wellingtons.  And you could customize the "innards" for each picky-eater at the table: the classic duxelles (mushrooms), sauteed spinach, sauteed broccoli rabe, sun-dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, etc., etc., etc.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2005, 10:53:48 PM »

BK, did you not see my first post of the day?  

I love the Vikings probably more than you do.  As you know, I have three posters of this movie framed and mounted on the wall in my TV room.  One American, one Italian, one Polish.  While they all are quite beautiful, the Polish one is a true work of art...The Vikings translate into Polish as WIKINGOWIE.  (I also have a poster of the Long Ships that I've yet to frame.).  

The Vikings is a rousing adventure movie with a brain...the kind of smart adventure movie they used to make.  The performers all acquit themselves wonderfully.  Janet's breasts are simply gob-smacking, and the score is exquisite...and, of course, rousing!  Did you watch the documentary on the DVD?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2005, 10:59:14 PM »

DR Jose - Is The Donut Plant on our Oct. 5 tour?  DH Richard and I watched a donut program on the Food Network last night and that was one of the places visited.

Speaking of the tour, I've just photocopied something from one of my professional journals and will be dropping it in the mail to you on my way home.  Not that you need any help planning the tour; I just thought you might find in interesting.

Actually, I believe the Donut Plant will be the first official stop on the tour.  I'm thinking we will all meet at one of the Times Square subway entrances, and then train down to the Lower East Side.  From the end of the line there, it's two blocks over and two blocks down through a funky little neighborhood.  We will just "graze" the Second Avenue area.  However, after the Donut Plant, we will then head west over into Chinatown, and then....

*And for those of you who don't like Bialys, there's an amazing bialy and bagel place next door.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 11:00:26 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2005, 11:05:05 PM »

They just announce on the local news that Hurricane Rita has been upgraded to a level 3!  I don't know when it was officially upgraded, though.  And they expect it to upgrade to level 4 within 24 hours...and could possibly go up to a level 5!  AND New Orleans could get hit again!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2005, 11:08:08 PM »

I have to go to the dentist in the morning. :P I haven't gotten a cavity since high school, so I'm doing something right.  But I don't floss.  My bad. ::) My appointment is at 11:00 a.m., but since I usually get to work at 10:00 a.m., I either have to go to work very early to make going to work worth it, or not go to work until after the appointment, in which case I'll have to use a bit of vacation along with the sick leave for the appointment.  Oh, what to do?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up