Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PROCRASTINATING  (Read 80523 times)

Ben

Re:PROCRASTINATING
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2005, 04:16:58 AM »

All by myself.

I, too, am disappointed at the closing of All Shook Up. While I'm not a fan of jukebox musicals in general, I think this show was done well, it had an excellent, talented cast and it deserved better.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2005, 04:17:27 AM »

Well, I took us to Page 2. Since I'm here all alone I will not dance.

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2005, 05:23:40 AM »

A very happy birthday to DR DearReaderLaura!  I hope you have many beautiful opportunities to take pictures today.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2005, 05:24:57 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Laura!!!  We will have Oreo cake soon. ;D
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2005, 05:32:37 AM »

Today's topic is Number 700.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2005, 05:39:53 AM »

Thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes. The flowers are lovely, Tom. JRand, I think you SHOULD go for a walk and take some photos.

Today is a busy day: first, I will go for a nice long walk at the arboretum (well, until it gets too warm), then I shall lounge about for a while, then I have an ice cream date with my 10-year-old buddy in the afternoon after school. And it's my no-diet day!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

FJL

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2005, 06:23:13 AM »

I love ONCE ON THIS ISLAND, RAISIN, DREAMGIRLS, FENCES, and hearing the song "Be A Lion" at Broadway Unplugged the other night reminded me of how captivated I was the first time I saw THE WIZ.  In recent years, I'm a big fan of DESSA ROSE, though I know the reviews were disappointing.

I have big plotting problems with the play RAISIN IN THE SUN, problems that I never felt watching either the movie version or the (IMHO) actually-improved-in-plotting musical version.

RANT AND BIG "RAISIN IN THE SUN" SPOILER coming up:

The way the play is structured, the first act builds towards Walter Lee's devastation and disappointment that his mother is using the insurance money from his father's death to buy a house, rather than let Walter Lee use the money to open up his own business.  The mother is admant about the importance of getting the house, but Walter Lee wants to have a chance at the American dream, and that provides a powerhouse ending for the first act.  We as an audience go into intermission drained and emotional wrecks, as the author wants.

But then, within minutes of the second act beginning, the mother has come up with a solution to the whole problem.  Lo and behold, she only needs PART of the money to secure the house, and it turns out that - OH WOW! - she has enough money left over to let Walter Lee buy into the business after all.  

To me, this is a "classic play" version of what Ebert calls the idiot plot, and I can't recall ever having felt so hoodwinked by a great playwright - had the mother only thought of this solution a few stage minutes earlier, there would have been no drama to the end of the first act, but there's no logical reason that the mother didn't think of this solution several stage minutes earlier.

End of rant.  It's a classic play, and I admit this never bothered me in the movie or the musical.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 06:27:33 AM by FJL »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2005, 06:35:46 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR LAURA  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2005, 07:06:43 AM »

Good Morning!

Today, I start.  Again.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2005, 07:07:51 AM »

Hmmm...  Site seems ssssslllloooooowww this morning.  Maybe it's still waking up.

???
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2005, 07:11:09 AM »

Hmmm...  Site seems ssssslllloooooowww this morning.  Maybe it's still waking up.

???

Experiencing the same thing here, DR Jose--what have you done now?!?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2005, 07:16:00 AM »

That is too bad about ALL SHOOK UP. I was hoping to see it when I go to New York!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2005, 07:20:43 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day:

Once On This Island, Dreamgirls, Thunder Knocking On The Door, Crowns, Ain't Misbehavin', The Wiz, Purlie

I shall have to report back later on novels and films.  -Since I'm still waking up.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2005, 07:26:32 AM »

To Sir  With Love
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

There is an all-black muscial from the 1940s that I am trying to think of, but the title escapes me....and also an all-black western....I need more coffee.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2005, 07:28:40 AM »

Have a wonderful birthday DearReaderLaura!!!!

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2005, 07:51:52 AM »

I enjoyed the stage adaptation of "Having Our Say" immensely, although the book was still better (and have kicked myself for not taking the time to go to Bessie Delany's funeral, which was at a church near where I live). "Bring in 'da Noise" was a tremendous show, although I think my ears are still ringing from being seated five feet away from Savion Glover.

Happy Birthday, DR Laura! Many happy happy returns

Oh, and a quick shout-out to DR Elmore, who I ran into on the bus while I was on my way to work and he was on his way to Ohio! Small world, HHW style...

Jason

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2005, 08:00:28 AM »

First and foremost:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR LAURA!!! Have that daughter of yours make you some chocolate chip cookies - she's very good with a Cadbury bar. And maybe she can throw in some floop for good measure. ;) I expect lots of lovely pictures from your walk at the arboretum.

DR Jose: What? No sugar for two weeks!?!? Are you mad?!? (And honestly, I don't know if I could find Magnolia on my own if I had to. You saw how lost I got us the other night!)

I had completely forgotten about PRINCESSES coming in. They need a big theatre? I didn't realize it was such a big show...

I overslept this morning, which is very different than sleeping over. I was only 10 minutes late to work, though! (And to think I was hoping to be at least 45 minutes late...)

Amazing. My supervisor, who would appear to despise me, just asked if I'd pick up a piece of memorabilia for him at the Broadway Flea Market. I hadn't really planned on going to it - I've never been a big fan of mobs of people - so I told him he might want to ask someone else. Strange that he would ask me, though...

TOD: "The Color Purple" (the novel and the movie. we'll see about the musical.)
DREAMGIRLS (even Jennifer's gorilla walk), TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA, RAGTIME, HAIRSPRAY, CAROLINE OR CHANGE
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 08:11:44 AM by Jason »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2005, 08:09:45 AM »

Good morning!

A bit cooler this morning, but dear lord, we're going to have near 90 today and 95 tomorrow for highs!

Rescue me!!!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2005, 08:11:20 AM »

Happy Birthday to Dear Reader Laura!!!

Have a great, wonderful birthday!

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2005, 08:15:26 AM »

I got to play Karl Lindner in A RAISIN IN THE SUN in 1995, and it was one of most fondly remembered experiences. The play always devastated me, especially Mama's anguished cry at the end of the second act, and I was glad to be a part of our production. I've always felt this was my best ever performance in a non-musical play. Other friends have said that Juror #4 was better (it was certainly bigger), but for me, I felt the most satisfied with my work when I made my snearing exit near the end of the third act. I could FEEL the contempt of the audience, so I knew I had scored with what I was doing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2005, 08:37:03 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, and have been trying to get on this here site since 8:00.  I wrote our host a note - this is the third time in three weeks this has happened.  I finally logged onto the home page and came in via the link at the end of the notes - hopefully they've fixed coming in the bookmark way as well.  Very very annoying.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2005, 08:40:30 AM »

Re Raisin in the Sun.  Unless the film is different (I have the play - perhaps I'll look it up), Mama puts $3,500 down on the house, and gives Walter Lee the other $6500 for him to look after, NOT to invest in the business.  She specifically says that $3,000 of it is for his sister's schooling, and the other $3,000 is for him to administer and take care of - she tells him "you're the head of this family now."  And he says, "You trust me?" and she says "I always did."

Hence, when he DOES spend it on the liquor business, all 6500 of it, the denoument of the play.

Jason

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2005, 08:40:39 AM »

Who cares? Who cares? Who cares? Who cares? Because you see I'm dancing and I can't be bothered now. (I can't be bothered now!)

CRAZY FOR YOU was a fun black musical. Oh, wait...

DRs Jose, Rodzinski, TPunk, Ben and any other NYCers: Anyone interested in seeing "All About Eve" tomorrow night at Chelsea Clearview Cinemas? It's at 7:00 and only costs $6. A room full of catty queens, sparkling door prizes and Bette Davis...who could ask for anything more? (Oh! Another CRAZY FOR YOU reference. God, I loved that show - it's just so Afro-tastic!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2005, 08:45:55 AM »

Still very slow going for me to get to the board - I can get to the first page of the board, and then it's either not connecting at all to Daily Discussions, or it's sporadic at best, and slow as molasses.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2005, 08:46:28 AM »

Is no one else having this problem?

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2005, 08:52:32 AM »

I got an error message before when I was on-line before and tried to post. The post went through but I still got a "cannot find the server" message.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2005, 08:53:52 AM »

Favorite black themed play and movie (other than RAISIN): THE GREAT WHITE HOPE. The play was mesmerizing, and because the film could allow you to actually go into the ring for the boxing sequences, I felt it gained even more power.

James Earl Jones is one of the great forces of nature on stage and screen.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2005, 08:54:34 AM »

Favorite black themed musicals: PURLIE, DREAMGIRLS, and (to a lesser extent because of an awful book) THE WIZ.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2005, 08:56:45 AM »

I may have to jump off-line again any minute since I'm going to a quick lunch with best friend John. The impromptu lunches can be fun but sometimes lead to indigestion since I have to get ready so quickly and have to eat so quickly. (He has a meeting back at work this afternoon and we also have to go to Circuit City so he can buy a birthday gift for a friend, so we're going to really be rushed.)

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2005, 08:57:46 AM »

I really hate that while most TV shows are getting their season premieres this week, VERONICA MARS doesn't get its premiere until next Wednesday. Another whole week to wait!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up