Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: STRAINING CREDULITY  (Read 106184 times)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
Re:STRAINING CREDULITY
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2005, 06:55:16 AM »

It’s a little chill tonight, here in Tokyo.

Have a beautiful day, everyone!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2005, 07:18:20 AM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]media[/move] [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]check[/move]

iPod:  the Cole Porter Red, Hot and Blue and the Disney Stay Awake recordings.  

TIVO:  Too Much!  Both Apprentices, Catherine The Great, The Greatful Dead Movie, and a bunch of Ester Williams films.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2005, 07:26:05 AM »

I have a VHS copy of Song of the South with Japanese subtitles I picked up at a flea market yeqars and years ago .  

I have that, too, which a friend in Philadelphia picked up for me at a flea market for $10. Not the greatest quality or richest color, but not having seen the movie in decades before I got it, it was a welcome find.

I have since bought the unofficial DVD release from Thailand? (forgotten exactly where it came from) led there by one of the wonderful DRs here (William E. Lurie, was it?)

Of course, Disney is finally releasing an official edition next year.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2005, 07:27:41 AM »

Good morning, all!

It was barely cool enough for my walk this morning, but I took it, and I regretted it when I got to the last half when the sun was beaming down so hot on me that I was miserable.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2005, 07:28:30 AM »

And, of course, the forecasters have pushed that cooler weather back again. It was supposed to be Monday, but now, no cooler weather in sight for us here.

Argh!  :(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2005, 07:30:00 AM »

Good morning, all!  I don't know if it's the site or this library terminal, but I've had a very slow go this morning reading the notes and catching up.

Question:  is there a way to change my password to something I can remember?  Right now I have something like 14QST5swv1aXX.  Who the H-E-double hockey stick (pronounced "fuck") can remember that?

I was indeed the only audience member for THE BROTHERS GRIMM, and that was the best part of the film.  As to the movie, it's a strange mix of malignment of the fraudulent Brothers Grimm, Franco-Prussian history, comedy, and a mix of folklore and fable combining English and German tales.  I liked Heath Ledger a lot, Matt Damon not so much but I hear the Weinstein boys insisted on him, and the rest of the cast acquitted itself well.

I found the story to be a sort of mess, but I liked the bits of "fairy tale": Sleeping Beauty, The Gingerbread Man, Hansel and Gretel, Snow White, Rapunzel, and others.  I thought the script was victim of tampering with some needless cruelty, lots of S&M torture, and an ending that went on way too long.  I loved the design, not so visually beautiful as SLEEPY HOLLW, but quite appropriate.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2005, 07:30:37 AM »

I didn't get around to making one point about CSI last night. The show featured three murder investigations, and I always thing any more than two just strain the show's ability to balance all the clues and facts.

Last season's premiere had FOUR cases being investigated, and it was a mess, very unsatisfying because there just wasn't enough time to do the investigations justice.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2005, 07:32:27 AM »

I didn't see THE BROTHERS GRIMM (I will eventually, of course), but SLEEPY HOLLOW was one of the most mesmerizing movies to look at that I've seen in a long time.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2005, 07:36:18 AM »

On the subject of WOMAN OF THE YEAR, with the right stars, I think it could still play today. It's clearly a star vehicle for two really charismatic performers. If you could find two really gifted musical perfomers with big names and an electric chemistry together, I think it could be a hit. The story seems dated to us living today, but just make it a period piece, and that problem would be solved.

Jason

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2005, 07:36:22 AM »

Mornin'...

I'm feeling slightly "off" today. I dunno why. I woke up with allergy issues, I think.

DR Jose: Sorry to hear about your banking problems. Hope you got them straightened out!

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2005, 07:37:58 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY (OCR)

DVD - THE BOSTONIANS
          BEN-HUR (4 disc special edition)

DVR - last night's SMALLVILLE (season four finale rerun I've never seen)

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2005, 07:41:02 AM »

I have to say that I have not been missing watching my soap opera at all. I've been keeping up with the plotlines from TVGUIDE.com, and the time saved in not giving an hour of my life each afternoon to this I've really been appreciating more and more.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2005, 07:47:52 AM »

Elmore, just go into EDIT PROFILE and you can change your password in there.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2005, 08:01:48 AM »

I have to jump in the shower now and get ready to face the rest of the day. Have some errands to run shortly, but

WBBL.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2005, 08:06:10 AM »

And, of course, the forecasters have pushed that cooler weather back again. It was supposed to be Monday, but now, no cooler weather in sight for us here.

Argh!  :(

I had NO idea they had such power!!

Why didn't they do something about turning the hurricanes I wonder?   ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2005, 08:08:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: GELATINOUS!
The baby liked the strained peas well enough, but spat up the strained credulity.  As for the cherry dessert, the tot got a lot of the gel at/on us.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2005, 08:11:23 AM »

Elmore, just go into EDIT PROFILE and you can change your password in there.

Thanks, DRRodzinski!  I just changed it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2005, 08:14:03 AM »

Der Brucer has been hogging the television for most of the week, picking out what new shows he wants to watch and not letting me have any say in the matter.

>:(

Last Monday, we introduced the grandlads to The Great Race.  Alex enjoyed it a good deal, but had some trouble understanding that the Eiffel Tower at the end of the film was a fake.  William, trying to understand who the good guys were and who the bad guys were, had his first real introduction to "Good guys wear white, bad guys wear black."  The concept of an intermission as a good time for a bathroom break was appreciated by all.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2005, 08:16:27 AM »

Off to work, and then on to ladsitting for the evening.

If der B and I pick up the Desperate Housewives DVD set, do you think the grandlads would appreciate the humor of the show?

::)

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2005, 08:26:47 AM »

Dear Reader Jose , I am so sorry to hear about your banking troubles.  In my job, I spend the  good part of my day talking with banking representatives. (or should I say being kept on hold by banking representatives, hence my abillity to chat here)

Sometimes I think the banks all give prospective employees personality and intelligence tests and then hire the ones who fail. ::)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:30:21 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2005, 08:32:39 AM »

Good morning, all!  I don't know if it's the site or this library terminal, but I've had a very slow go this morning reading the notes and catching up.

I woke up quite early this morning and was zipping around this here site between 5 AM- 6 AM EST, and then suddenly around 6 AM it just SLOOOOOOWED  down and then it threw me out and wouldn't let me back in!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2005, 08:43:00 AM »

Good morning, all!

It was barely cool enough for my walk this morning, but I took it, and I regretted it when I got to the last half when the sun was beaming down so hot on me that I was miserable.

Well, just remember, sometimes getting hot and sweaty can be a good thing.  And lots of fun too!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2005, 08:51:44 AM »

DR Jose: Sorry to hear about your banking problems. Hope you got them straightened out!

DR Jason - Thanks - I did get things straightened out... for now... but...

Dear Reader Jose , I am so sorry to hear about your banking troubles.  In my job, I spend the  good part of my day talking with banking representatives. (or should I say being kept on hold by banking representatives, hence my abillity to chat here)

Sometimes I think the banks all give prospective employees personality and intelligence tests and then hire the ones who fail. ::)

But since today is a Friday, and the next banking business day is not until Monday...  I'm sort of in financial until Monday, well, the close of business on Monday - which means Tuesday.  However, due to some papers that have to be signed and couriered, the whole mess may not be resolved until Wednesday.  Ugh!  -At least I stocked up on groceries the other day.  And since next week is packed with auditions, I'll most likely be treated to lunch and dinner each day, so...  Eh...

However, I have to say, the people I had to deal with at the bank this morning were quite nice.  (And I was only on hold for about 30 seconds tops.)  Not caring, per se, but just very easy to deal with, and they gave me all the information I needed, and made sure to inform me in advance of any possible delays in fixing the problem due to the fact that we're coming up on a weekend.  It didn't exactly make me feel better about the whole situation, but at least I know the "logic" behind the process of getting things back in order.  And it is something beyond my control, so I'm feeling less stressed about it.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2005, 08:52:18 AM »

Oh, Lord...the three little maids are on right now: me, Jose and  Larry.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2005, 08:54:50 AM »

Mornin'...

I'm feeling slightly "off" today. I dunno why. I woke up with allergy issues, I think.

I think I'm dealing with the same "off" issues today too (besides the bank woes), but I think the culprit is the change in the weather.  A bit overcast, and some rain is due in.  Air pressure can be a bitch at times.  However, even though there may be some rain this weekend, the temps are supposed to stay in the comfortable mid-70s.  And tonight the forecast is for overnight temps in the mid-50s.

Guess the cooler weather has headed north, DR MattH.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2005, 08:56:22 AM »

Oh, Lord...the three little maids are on right now: me, Jose and  Larry.

OHHHH!!!!!  Maybe we should have a little talent show to close out the eating and walking tour!  *And Wednesday night is open mic night at Don't Tell Mama...  And karaoke at Splash too!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2005, 08:57:21 AM »

Oopss.... DR elmore's stand-by just had to step in...  DR Ron Pulliam, you're singing the middle part.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:57:50 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2005, 08:58:47 AM »

Last night's "Survivor":

I have a new hero, of sorts, and his name is "Brandon" and he's a farmer and he's on the Nakum tribe (not my favorite tribe, by the way).

At any rate, he was making some candid observations about Blake, the sick one, who does nothing but let the nurse administer to him, giving him water to drink, wiping his forehead with a cool wet cloth and then telling him to rest.

Brandon is sick of it, I tell you.  And he said the guy ought to "MAN UP" and stop wallowing in his self-pity.

Personally, I think Blake MAY have a touch of pneumonia, but as long as someone is willing to advise us that Blake should "MAN UP", then I'm willing to take his side in the matter!

And then there's the issue of the reward challenge, and Brandon described it thusly:

"We got up at the buttcrack of dawn..."

And I knew...just KNEW...that I had a favorite player to follow.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 02:46:06 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2005, 08:59:37 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

My name's Ron.

What's YOURS?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2005, 08:59:48 AM »

Well, this little maid actually needs to get out of the apartment before she goes stir crazy.  I think I shall do some exploring and scouting in the Village this afternoon.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up