Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ACID REFLUX  (Read 105869 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ACID REFLUX
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2005, 09:31:15 AM »

She of the Evil Eye is casting her gaze upon me, so I shall now be on my way to the West of Wood to play for a couple of hours.

td

• td
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2005, 09:40:42 AM »

I would have thought that when BK preaches to the choir, he would open with his impression of Johnny Ray singing Irving Berlin. . . :P
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2005, 09:45:03 AM »

Field Trips:
The last field trips I went on with DR Sandra in high school were with the orchestra. One included Disneyland after their performance. The other was to some kind of Flags in the LA area that was all roller coasters. We ditched the group and rented a car and drove to Hollywood. If we had known BK then, we'd have given him a call!

The easiest field trip I ever did was one where the teacher was desperate for one more parent. I went along, even though I didn't have a kid in the class. She gave me all the easy kids to supervise. It was great.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2005, 09:49:10 AM »

TOD - The first field trip I remember, from elementary school, was to the then-new Detroit Metropolitan Airport.  The coolest part, since my mother was a chapherone, was that I got to go home with her when we returned to school instead of waiting for the end of the school day.

Later, junior high or high school, we went to Hilberry Classic Theatre at Wayne State University.  I remember seeing A Midsummer Night's Dream, Saint Joan, The Skin of Our Teeth.  Also in high school, while not exactly a field trip, through drama club we were able to get tickets for the Fisher Theater (pre and post Broadway tours) for $2.25.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2005, 09:50:11 AM »

Well, my fate is sealed. I now have another appointment to speak with the dreaded Dr. C. at 9:00 Monday morning.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2005, 09:51:24 AM »

Well, my fate is sealed. I now have another appointment to speak with the dreaded Dr. C. at 9:00 Monday morning.

DR Sandra - Have you done your homework?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2005, 09:51:57 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2005, 10:00:57 AM »

DR Sandra - Have you done your homework?

I'm working on it. The plan is to finish it this weekend so I can turn it in at our meeting. It's not due for another couple weeks, so that should be good for some brownie pointage.

Now I want brownies. Mom, do we have any brownies?

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2005, 10:08:30 AM »

No, but I'm cooking some cheesy potatoes? Want some?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2005, 10:10:44 AM »

Sure!

Jason

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2005, 10:35:44 AM »

Mmmm...cheesy potatoes. My two favorite words. My other two favorite words being Krispy Kreme.

BK: My acid reflux seems to be much better now than it used to be, but I always keep a bottle of Tums next to my bed for those nights when I wake up with the 'Flux. Be very careful of what you eat and how close to bedtime you're eating it. And what you drink, too. As DR CP pointed out, it was all the soda that was doing it to me. Now I'm on Iced Tea or water and things are MUCH better, though I do crave a Sunkist every now and again.

TOD: I was very lucky to live in the areas that I did. In first and second grade, I was just outside of London, though we never tripped there. We went out to pick blackberries on my first day of school. They took us to a farm once, too, where we learned all about animals and the food chain and dairy products. It was on that field trip that I learned to use a blade of grass to find out if a fence is electrified or not. Good times...

Louisville was also a great spot for field tripping. We went to the Museum of Science a lot, which I loved. I still go there as an adult when I'm home. And the Zoo (which is quite beautiful)...we did that a lot, too. Even in high school. We got to go to the Center for the Arts to see Stage One Children's Theatre a bunch. I loved that. We did Churchill Downs, the Falls of the Ohio and the Belle of Louisville (paddleboat) and in middle school I even got to go to Space Camp in Huntsville, AL for a day. Yes, one day. But it was a fun trip! It was also on that trip that I first found out that Jenny Cooper wanted to be my girlfriend. A found out my freshman year of high school that she was a lesbian. Funny, isn't it? Small and funny and fine...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 10:39:08 AM by Jason »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2005, 10:40:48 AM »

Thought of another field trip...to the Heekin Can Company in Cincinnati to see how tin cans are made.  That was fascinating!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2005, 10:42:41 AM »

Jason, you should try elevating yourself in bed at night so that everything flows downward...it will alleviate acid reflux.  Get one of thos wedge pillows. That's what my wife and I use.

Jason

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2005, 10:49:19 AM »

I don't know if this counts as a field trip, but the summer between my sophomore and junior years of high school, I went on a 10-day trip to Mexico with my Spanish teacher and three girls from my school who it turns out were just going for a vacation as opposed to a learning experience. I was going there to learn Spanish, and I did. Some of you may not know this, but I was a Spanish/French double major before I took up the Musical Theatre.

Anyway, we went to Mexico City, Taxco, Cuernavaca and Acapulco over those 10 days and I LOVED IT! My teacher, who thought I was an absolute genius when it came to picking up the language, actually let me wander Mexico City by myself for about 2 hours one day because she felt I had a firm enough grasp of the language to get by. If my principal had known, she'd probably have been fired.

I loved that teacher. Carla Harris Burton. She was a cross between Phylicia Rashad and Whitney Houston B.C. (Before Crack). She was beautiful, sassy and FUH-NEE and I miss her. She really believed in me. She told me I could be an interpreter at the U.N. if I wanted to be and she took me under her wing as her "talented" student. By the time I left her Spanish 3 class, I was reading novels and textbooks that she had used when she was getting her fluency certification as an exchange student in Mexico.

I wonder how she is now...

Cillaliz

« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2005, 11:00:04 AM »

I woke up this morning and realized there is nothing I am "expected" to do today. What a wonderful feeling.  So, I can actually do some things I've wanted to do for awhile and not had time to do.  I really love days like this.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2005, 11:00:33 AM »

My high school Spanish teacher was Senora Ginsburg. To this day, I can only understand Spanish if it is spoken with a Jewish Brooklyn accent, which is not very often.

Cillaliz

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2005, 11:23:48 AM »

TOD, we took tons of field trips.  In Kindergarten we went to a turkey farm, a dairy farm, a produce warehouse etc.  In elementary school, we went to a gravel pit and a conservation area where we learned about the environment and wildlife preservation.  We also went to the site of the Spirit Lake Massacre and learned the politically incorrect version of how the Indians massacred the white settlers (now they tell you why it happened, then it was much different)

In high school we took trips to Minneapolis to the Guthrie a couple times, once to see Hamlet and once to see Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. We went to Chanhassan Dinner Theatre near Minneapolis to see hmmm I think it was Camelot, can't remember. We also took other trips there, but I can't remember what we did, I think one was to an art gallery.

I also took a church trip to Washington DC/New York in 1977 (my sophomore year in high school). We studied Aparthied in South Africa (that was before they killed Steven Biko) with speakers who had escaped from South Africa, from the State Department, and the South African Consulate. We did have a day to play and see the sites in DC and saw Annie in previews there. In New York we went to the UN,  did touristy stuff and went to The Rockettes, and went to something in New York, The Wiz maybe?

The same year a group from my high school went with the American Institute of Foreign Study to London and surrounding areas. We saw A Chorus Line, Wild Oats and something else. We had a great time at the Elizabethan Rooms where we had a medival/reniassance dinner. Our chaperones all got pretty drunk, so we had lots of fun without them!  

My junior year our Thespian group went to New York and saw Chapter Two, and....sheesh! I can't remember what else we saw maybe it was Chorus Line again. Our chaperones on that trip decided it was better to have us party together than to risk people wandering off, so we waited in line for Studio 54, but didn't get in (no surprise there - we were a group of nerdy kids from Iowa) and ended up at Roseland. We had a blast there.  We did a lot of touristy stuff and had a blast.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2005, 11:25:35 AM »

Cilaliz, very nice photo.

I must take a break from the tons of laundry to head out on errands.  I really just want to sleep.  We are suffering from jet lag, the long trip home and sore throats.

I really don't want to get on a plane any time soon!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2005, 11:30:53 AM »

There's a benefit here tonight for Lake Charles, LA. It's our sister city, they come up here every year and do a Mardi Gras thing with great food, costumes, a parade etc. The benefit was planned to assist the Katrina victims housed there, but now it's for Lake Charles too.

Anyway, tonight the headlining band is Dr. Dendrite and the Twisted Synapses (a local group of mostly neuro-surgeons and other doctors) the newspaper cracked me up today. It describes them as follows:

"They are an excellent cover band that has given several successful and enjoyable performances"  LOL, guess they aren't going to describe the rest of their performances!

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2005, 11:31:39 AM »

Cilaliz, very nice photo.

I must take a break from the tons of laundry to head out on errands.  I really just want to sleep.  We are suffering from jet lag, the long trip home and sore throats.

I really don't want to get on a plane any time soon!!

Thanks Jane, Glad you are back. Rest up, for you MUST get on a plane soon to join us in New York!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2005, 12:44:59 PM »

Back and must eat something.  But, might I just say this: Last post at 11:30, seventy-five minutes ago???  Not in this universe, baby.

Cillaliz

« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2005, 12:54:04 PM »

Found this on Washingtonpost.com... What a funny state of things, when people have to be told whether a crowd gathered is a book festival or an anti-war rally!  

"Protesters were not the only visitors to the city this weekend. As fate would have it, organizers of the National Book Festival found themselves sharing the Mall with antiwar protesters. They stationed volunteers in green t-shirts at the top of the escalators at the Smithsonian metro station so that the thousands arriving would know which event was which"

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2005, 01:08:30 PM »

Well, back for the nonce!  I went to my dad's for a bit, finished the mystery, took a nap, and now I'm back.  No movie after all.  

When I'm kicked off the computer, I'll call my friend Loyce Martin, who's been suffering from bronchitis, and she is she feels like having company.  If she turns me down, I'll see a movie.  Life is too thrilling!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jed

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2005, 01:09:39 PM »

As I recall, we visited a farm in kindergarten.  First grade was the zoo in Seattle.  Saltwater State Park in second grade.  I think third grade was supposed to be some Native American heritage center or something, but it was cancelled for some reason, so we did the nearby pioneer house and petrified forest museum instead.  We hit the Seattle Aquarium in fourth grade.  Then in fifth grade we got the week that we spent all of elementary school looking forward to, fifth grade camp.  Four days away from home with our friends, filled with hikes, little nature workshops, songs, skits, and games.  I absolutely loved it.  At the end of eighth grade, those of us with high grade point averages got to head back up to the same camp for a weekend Honors Camp.  Again, an absolute blast.  During high school, I returned to fifth grade camp twice as a counselor and had just as much fun then.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2005, 01:22:15 PM »

Well, I'm checking out now.  I will be E&T all day tomorrow, but I'll be back Monday.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2005, 01:41:09 PM »

My goodness, not one answer to the trivia contest has come in yet!

My goodness, is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  Shouldn't Jane be posting photos and telling about her trip?

Jed

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2005, 01:47:36 PM »

Alright, time for me to take a look at the trivia question.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2005, 02:09:06 PM »

Nobody here but us chickens - Sandra and I being the two cluckers who are around.  This will NOT do, oh, no, this will NOT do.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2005, 02:10:55 PM »

Cluck, cluck, cluck.

I am getting very tired of this paper. I hope it gives Dr. C. a papercut.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2005, 02:44:45 PM »

I see a couple of other cluckers, but they're just sitting there like so much fish, twiddling their various and sundried digits.

Sandra, add this sentence to your paper - it will get you a very good grade:

The unicorn is a mythical beast.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up