Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M GETTING EXISTENTIAL OVER YOU  (Read 33779 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I'M GETTING EXISTENTIAL OVER YOU
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2005, 08:08:49 AM »

Good Morning!

And what a perfect way to start the day!  I power up my computer, start up Safari (my web browser), and the first thing I see is this:

Lestat Will Sing at Broadway's Palace Starting March 11, 2006

Let the countdown begin!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2005, 08:11:26 AM »

Good morning!

Again, the sun was behind overcast skies this morning, so I did take my walk. Not as enjoyable as it could be, but it wasn't quite as muggy this morning as yesterday.

The sky is grey and overcast, the weather about 70 degrees
I think summer has really gone away.

This past Saturday the Vixter was playing in the pool, but I guess its time to close it for the season.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2005, 08:13:08 AM »

Yes, I knew Henry Winkler was on ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT in a recurring role. In fact, I saw him on it last Monday.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to give it another try tonight. I did not enjoy the frantic bouncing back and forth between stories and the slightly sour tone it has. Again, comedy is such an individual thing, and this one just kind of rubs me the wrong way.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2005, 08:14:19 AM »

DR Jose, if that's the opening performance at the Palace, when does your contract start? How much time does the orchestra have with the cast before the first preview?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2005, 08:16:02 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Tiiiiiiiired.

vixmom

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2005, 08:17:01 AM »

Good Morning!

And what a perfect way to start the day!  I power up my computer, start up Safari (my web browser), and the first thing I see is this:

Lestat Will Sing at Broadway's Palace Starting March 11, 2006

Let the countdown begin!

:D

Shall we reserve a HHW row now for the premiere  ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2005, 08:23:19 AM »

As for Topic of the Day:

La Lectrice - The Lewis Carroll sequence is particularly enlightening to say the least.  And funny.
L'Accompagnatrice
Un Coeur En Hiver
Le Maître de Musique - Technically made in Belgium, but it's still a movie en français.
L'Auberge Espagnole - A French movie set in Barcelona.  Actually, it was co-produced by film companies in France and Spain.  Did DR elmore get to this before leaving for Ohio?
Le Ballon Rouge (The Red Balloon) - We watched this at least once a year in grade school.  -And I still need to track down "The Revenge of the Red Balloon" that came out in 2000.
Amelie

Plus many others I know I'm forgetting right now...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2005, 08:27:18 AM »

Of course, Rosie fronted the entire $10-14 million for TABOO, I believe.

$1 million is pretty much chicken feed in producing a musical these days.

Yes, Ms. Winfrey's $1 Million is only 1/10 of the total production. She's smart to not pay for the whole thing herself. I think it's great, though, that she can use her celebrity, money and history with the title to help sell Broadway to an audience who might not otherwise be interested in musical theatre. And for a show that is, other than its source material, completely original.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2005, 08:28:20 AM »

DR Jose, if that's the opening performance at the Palace, when does your contract start? How much time does the orchestra have with the cast before the first preview?

I believe I'll be starting two weeks before the first preview.  It will all depend upon how much futzing has to be done with the orchestra parts post-San Francisco.  There is also talk that we might head into the recording studio early on.

*If this means anything... They are already having some preliminary orchestra rehearsals for The Color Purple, er, I mean, Oprah Winfrey presents The Color Purple, and they don't start previews until November 1.  So...

Heck, the earlier my payroll starts...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2005, 08:28:51 AM »

DR Jose: I'll let you borrow DIEUX DU STADE. You'll quickly add that to your list of favorite French films... ;)

Jason

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2005, 08:30:02 AM »

Did they postpone first preview of OPRAH WINFREY presents THE COLOR PURPLE? I thought they were starting previews mid-October...?

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2005, 08:31:21 AM »

Yes, DR Jason, I'd say Whitney Houston's NAME is as important to the producers of the show as her money. I'd think they need to tap every potential audience for this even though it is based on a popular book and a smash hit movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2005, 08:32:40 AM »

Thanks for the info, DR Jose. We don't usually get the orchestra until the Sunday before the opening, but your gig being BROADWAY, well, I knew there just HAD to be more time to get things done.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2005, 08:33:21 AM »

Shall we reserve a HHW row now for the premiere  ;D

I can see it now...

From the New York Times - Arts Section, April 14, 2006...
...And there seemed to a particularly noticeable boost in the level of applause when the orchestra was acknowledged during curtain calls, accompanied by shouts of "What is it, fish?" by various and sundried members of the audience.

;D

...And as soon as know what the house seat policy is for this show, trust me, I'll be sure to pass that information on to everyone!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2005, 08:33:24 AM »

Got to go hop in the shower to get ready for a lunch engagement with best friend John.

WBBL.

vixmom

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2005, 08:35:47 AM »

Ohio?
.  -And I still need to track down "The Revenge of the Red Balloon" that came out in 2000.

try this
http://www.customflix.com/601044;jsessionid=agvFezOZo3sd

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2005, 08:37:30 AM »

Yes, DR Jason, I'd say Whitney Houston's NAME is as important to the producers of the show as her money. I'd think they need to tap every potential audience for this even though it is based on a popular book and a smash hit movie.

??? Whitney Houston? Doncha mean Oprah Winfrey?   ;)

vixmom

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2005, 08:38:50 AM »

I can see it now...

From the New York Times - Arts Section, April 14, 2006...;D

...And as soon as know what the house seat policy is for this show, trust me, I'll be sure to pass that information on to everyone!

and cries of  "JOSE!  JOSE!   JOSE!"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2005, 08:39:03 AM »

Did they postpone first preview of OPRAH WINFREY presents THE COLOR PURPLE? I thought they were starting previews mid-October...?

I kept thinking that it was supposed to start mid-October too, but after running into one of the keyboard players on the A train the other night... and then checking the info on Playbill.com...  Somewhere along the line, the first date of previews shifted to November 1.

???

I'm wondering if they just decided to take a little bit more time after the workshop this summer.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2005, 08:39:25 AM »

Whitney Houston isn't producing THE COLOR PURPLE. She'd be better off producing a show like THE FIX instead.

THE COLOR PURPLE is being backed by Oprah Winfrey, who has a far more wholesome, intelligent image than cracked-out Whitney Houston-Brown.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2005, 08:44:29 AM »

??? Whitney Houston? Doncha mean Oprah Winfrey?   ;)

I was about to ask the same thing.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2005, 08:46:05 AM »

I also enjoyed DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES very much.  

DISCUSSION OF LAST NIGHT's SHOW:

Interesting that Mary Alice is still the narrator.  I was not sure if they would change that.

Also, who was that locked up at the end?  The husband?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 08:47:05 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2005, 08:46:11 AM »

Did anybody watch the Jennifer Love Hewitt show GHOST WHISPERER?  I know many here like MEDIUM.  I found the shows different in quite a few ways.  1. On MEDIUM she is solving crimes, where as in GW she is merely helping people.  2.  I find MEDIUM to be less in your face, she mostly sees things in her dreams.  But on GW she sees spirits all over the place (streets ...) and often it is not differentiated for us what is real.

I like Jennifer Love Hewitt and the first episode was engaging.  Curious what others might think.

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2005, 08:55:59 AM »

Look what I just got in my email!!

GROUP TICKETS AS LOW AS $48.75

MUSIC BY
ELTON JOHN AND
BERNIE TAUPIN  LESTAT
Based on Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles, LESTAT tells the extraordinary journey of one man who escapes the tyranny of his oppressive family only to have his life taken from him. Thrust into the seductive and sensual world of an immortal vampire, he sets out on a road of adventures in a quest for everlasting love and companionship.

Purchase tickets for groups of 15 or more tickets by October 27 and save 25%!

To purchase 15 or more tickets Request Tickets at HitShowClub.com or call Member Services at (212) 581-4211.  

« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 08:56:32 AM by vixmom »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2005, 09:04:14 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm later than usual today because my father and I made the trek to my mother's grave.  We had a lovely visit, he cried, I said a prayer, and we left.  I'm now ensconced at the library for a couple of hours.

Yesterday was the big fish fry, which was a pleasant family gathering.  Lasf night, I stayed in and watched LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT and FINDING JORDAN.

This evening is my dinner with DRGinny and Richard.  Tomorrow, Miami University, Wednesday a fast run to CD Connection for used CDs and DVDs, laundry, and the Dayton airport.  I will stop in tomorrow morning before I go to Oxford.

TOD:
  AMELIE
  CARNIVAL IN FLANDERS
  THE BAKER'S WIFE
  CHILDREN OF PARADISE
  THE RETURN OF MARTIN GUERRE
  QUEEN MARGOT
  CYRANO DE BERGERAC
  POURQUOI PAS?
  DIABOLIQUE
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2005, 09:06:29 AM »

This, about LESTAT, sounds remarkably like one of my favorite television shows (ANGEL):

Lestat sets out on a road of adventures in a quest for everlasting love and companionship but is forced to reconcile his innate sense of good with his primal need to exist.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jason

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2005, 09:07:11 AM »

***DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES SPOILERS***

I enjoyed the Housewives very much last night. I seriously doubt that Alfre Woodard is hiding Mary Alice's husband in her basement. She pronounced on some talk show that she and her son are actually part of the witness protection program, though that may be a red herring to throw everyone off. No matter - it adds interesting layers.

I also thought the business with the necktie was very funny. Marcia Cross is a wonderful actress.

I noticed for the first time last night that the guy who plays John - Gabby's boyfriend - has a huge tattoo on his upper back which they tried - semi-successfully - to cover with makeup. I could see the dark blue sort of coming through and they were VERY careful to shoot around it.

Did anyone else watch Grey's Anatomy? Again - another great show. ABC's really got a lot going for them right now. LOST and INVASION are doing very well mid-week, and Sunday night is practially dominated by ABC with HOME MAKEOVER, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and GREY'S ANATOMY all in a row. I love JORDAN'S CROSSING, but I always find myself watching GREY'S ANATOMY now. Oh, well...it's just TV. I won't lose any sleep if I miss something here and there.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2005, 09:14:52 AM »

I noticed for the first time last night that the guy who plays John - Gabby's boyfriend - has a huge tattoo on his upper back which they tried - semi-successfully - to cover with makeup. I could see the dark blue sort of coming through and they were VERY careful to shoot around it.

I've never understood this sudden mania for decorative tattoo work, and I think an actor/actress is out of his/her mind for tarting up their work areas with body art that need to be successfully or unsuccessfully camouflaged by makeup.

DRJose, that questionaire is humongous!  We'll talk on Thursday.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2005, 09:15:24 AM »

Monday greetings!  I'm home today getting ready for our distinguished dinner guest.  Nothing to contribute to the discussion of French films.

On CNN this morning, I saw news about Lestat crawling across the bottom of the screen.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2005, 09:17:59 AM »

Once again, the mind sees Oprah Winfrey and the fingers typoe Whitney Houston. Just senile, I guess.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up