Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: YOU KNOW THE DRILL  (Read 20775 times)

td

• td
Re:YOU KNOW THE DRILL
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2005, 07:55:04 PM »

The Steadfast Tin Soldier sequence get me every time.
The Pine of Rome (with the whales) made my go out and buy some classical music. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

François de Paris

« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2005, 07:57:01 PM »

There still are moments in Fantasia -- the original -- that I find, I have to unshamely admit, quite boring! But what is good is terrific!
Sorcerer's Apprentice is a masterpiece!

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2005, 07:57:08 PM »

No, it wasn't the whales... although I agree that that was stunning.. and it wasn't the Soldier... although that certainly was emotional... hmm...

Oh well.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

td

• td
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2005, 07:58:22 PM »

PAGE FIVE DANCE:
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

François de Paris

« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2005, 08:02:21 PM »

No, it wasn't the whales... although I agree that that was stunning.. and it wasn't the Soldier... although that certainly was emotional... hmm...

Oh well.

I guess it must be the final segment (The Fire Bird Suite) done by the French/Italian Brothers... who supervised the direction of The Hunchback of ND.

François de Paris

« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2005, 08:07:06 PM »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2005, 08:07:40 PM »

That's why I've been so adament about THE SOUND OF MUSIC and not considering buying the new one. I just watched the last deluxe DVD set of it a few weeks ago, and it looked wonderful to my eyes. So, short of a high defin ition disc of the film, clearly years away, I won't be buying it again any time soon.

The OKLAHOMA news is disappointing. I didn't buy the last DVD of OKLAHOMA! because it wasn't anamorphic and I figured I could watch the laserdisc and get close to the same resolution (and I paid a pretty penny for that laserdisc). So, now I will want this due to the enhancement, but I'm sorry it isn't better.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

François de Paris

« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2005, 08:10:45 PM »

Mickey Mouse: Mr. Levine! Okay, Mr. Levine. Everybody's in place for the next number.
James Levine: Thanks, Mickey. When...
Mickey Mouse: But we can't find Donald, so you stay here and stall for time, I'll be right back.
[Exits]
Mickey Mouse: [Offstage] Donald! Oh Donald!
James Levine: When we hear Sir Edward Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance" we think of a graduation ceremony.
Mickey Mouse: Donald, were are ya?
James Levine: Actually, Elgar composed it for many kinds of solemn events.
Mickey Mouse: Donald!
James Levine: This march inspired the Disney artists to recreate the age old story...
Mickey Mouse: Donald, are you hiding in...
Daisy Duck: Aaaah!
Mickey Mouse: Oh, sorry, Daisy!
James Levine: ...of Noah's Ark, with one slight twist.
Mickey Mouse: [Knocking on door] Oh, Donald Duck?
Donald Duck: Who is it?
[Mickey and Donald's shadows are projected against a panel; Donald is in the shower]
Mickey Mouse: Donald, its me, Mickey. You're on in 30 seconds. Hurry.
Donald Duck: What? You gotta be kidding!
[Mumbles angrily as he leaves the tub]
Mickey Mouse: [Peeking behind a wall] Psst! Okay, Jim. He's on his way. Go to the intro.
James Levine: Ladies and gentlemen, "Pomp and Circumstance," starring Donald Duck.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2005, 08:11:35 PM »

Can't remember the musical piece but was it the "whale thing"? I thought it was so visually stunning!
The Noah's Ark stuff with Donald Duck is, imho, a total mess!

Fantasia 2000 should have been as good and innovative as the first one was! Unfortunately, it was not!

That was "The Pines of Rome" that had the blue whales.

I loved FANTASIA 2000, every bit of it.

MBarnum

« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2005, 08:17:16 PM »

You know what, I don't think I have ever seen FANTASIA...but I have watched a few Bollywood movies in my time and it is time to watch another. Here is my second Bollywood movie of the weekend.

ANJAAN RAHEN (1974) which is a remake of one of my favorite films TO SIR WITH LOVE.

François de Paris

« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2005, 08:18:16 PM »

This is a review done at the time by a friend of mine:

LESSONS FROM FANTASIA 2000
By Peter Adamakos

Part 1

Now that FANTASIA 2000 has come and gone in IMAX, and come and gone on regular-sized movie screens, there are some lessons to be learned from the experience that reveals the state of the art and business of animation today as perhaps no other contemporary film does.

Most obvious is the choice of how to show the film. The original FANTASIA, once it was determined to be a feature film, was planned as a wide-screen stereophonic feature. This was a phenomenal undertaking since there had been only sporadic attempts at wide screen projection in the silent days utilizing differing approaches or techniques. In the end, costs being what they were,  a wide screen format was abandoned, and Walt Disney would have to wait another 15 years to release what would become his first feature cartoon in wide screen, the Cinemascope production LADY AND THE TRAMP.  He did get his second wish, however, and with the help of RCA, stereophonic sound was first heard in 1940’s FANTASIA. The world would have to wait another 15 years for someone to make a second stereophonic film. The new sound system, named Fantasound, was only available in a few theaters in the largest cities. The others got regular sound prints and did not have to rewire their theaters.

FANTASIA was a flop, and within a year the distributor, RKO, edited the film down in length and released it as the bottom half of a double feature with some long-forgotten western. Its publicity campaign, “Fantasia will Amazia” didn’t help. The complete feature was reissued in 1947 to no great business. When reissued in 1956 and 1964, it came back in “wide screen” as originally planned. Of course all they could do was in effect “letterbox” it by cutting off about one third of the top and bottom parts of the film, then stretching the rest so that the hippos looked like blimps (as one critic put it.) Not until 1970 did recent generations see the film as it was originally made.

So what did the marketing geniuses of FANTASIA 2000 do?  Apparently they did not learn from the distorted showings of the first FANTASIA over the years and created a new mess for the new film, which was made in standard 35mm.  They decided to release it in IMAX. It was not made in IMAX, the layouts were not planned for showing in IMAX, but hey, bigger is better, right? Wrong. If you saw the film in IMAX you saw what a disaster that decision was. The action at times was too fast to be seen, much less absorbed in the IMAX format. At most you could take in and process only a portion of what was happening onscreen, because you were not placed in a position to see the entire screen’s action in the number of frames each took to unfold.  Even the slower sections were only glimpsed, as your eyes darted about to see every part of the screen then your brain tried to put the sections all together in a composite scene before it moved onto the next shot. There was no sense of perspective either as a humpback whale was now the same size as Donald Duck’s ass. It was like looking through a keyhole trying to take in the whole room inside while only able to see part of the room at any one time. It was the hippo blimps all over again.  But today Bigger is Better and we were in effect being told that in IMAX, Fantasia will Amazia!

Of course not every city has an IMAX theater, so most people couldn’t or wouldn’t travel to see it.  Then a couple of months ago the film was released to regular theaters, but only until July 13th we were told. My suspicion is that the theater chains, in the midst of the biggest movie summer ever, were not too pleased to take up screen time with what was now used goods. My guess is that Disney, using its clout dictated that they would have to take the film, but agreed it would only be for a short time.  The film did not have the benefit of a huge new publicity campaign. That was done six months earlier. Critics were not going to review it all over again. There was even some confusion as to what this new release was. Our paper, in its weekend mini reviews of all the movies playing said “This is not to be confused with the recent IMAX version, demonstrating their own confusion, and that of the public. To the public that knew what it was, this was six-month-old news. It was an “old” picture that had no buzz left in it, and so it did dismal business. The take so far is about $60 million, great for the IMAX Company but a disaster for Disney? Even their animated clunkers usually earn about double that. Opening both the original and the new FANTASIA in only a few cities proved an original and repeated disaster. This should have been obvious; especially today when major films open on over 2,000 screens and the trailers blanket television morning, noon and night to achieve that all important first weekend gross. Good or bad as they are, is there anyone not aware of recent films like THE PATRIOT, CHICKEN RUN or THE PERFECT STORM?  When it eventually comes to video it will likely be a poor seller, with little anticipation built in or reach beyond the market that buys every Disney animated video, whatever it is.

The saddest figure in all this is, of course, Roy Disney. This was his pet project for the last 15 years or so. The humpback whale sequence was the first completed, almost eight years ago. The film now becomes a footnote, an oddity, in Disney animation, just like the first FANTASIA did at the time of its release. Roy Disney is not the main loser, however. We are. We the audience, we the animation enthusiasts are. This film should have become a landmark film as revolutionary to animation as SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS or WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT and THE LITTLE MERMAID were.  The first FANTASIA was truly state of the animation art, in many ways unequalled in the last 60 years. It showed what animation could be and hinted at what it could become. But its failure meant a different track for Disney, or rather a continuation of the past, and after  the success of  SNOW WHITE, to which FANTASIA was constantly (unfairly) compared,  an eventual CINDERELLA, ALICE IN WONDERLAND, PETER PAN and SLEEPING BEAUTY became a no-brainer inevitability.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 08:18:54 PM by François »

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2005, 08:18:36 PM »

Well, MEET THE FOCKERS was okay. I think the first one (MEET THE PARENTS) was fresher and funnier; this had more of the same plus the outrageous antics of Dustin Hoffman and Streisand hamming shamelessly. But the inspiration was less on display here.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh at some of it, but this is clearly not the kinds of comedy I love. Give me BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S or RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER any day.

I watched HBO's high definition broadcast which gave me the chance to see every wrinkle, nip & tuck of the stars.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2005, 08:19:43 PM »

DR Matth:  Which laserdisc of "Oklahoma!" do you have?  Is it the one mastered from the Todd-AO negative?  That's the one I have and it's splendid.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

François de Paris

« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2005, 08:19:43 PM »

Part 2

A successful FANTASIA 2000 might have meant a shift, even partial, from the standard Disney fare today of vapid animated musicals and predictable and easier 3D animation subjects like toys, dinosaurs and bugs. What, no robots?  Above all, it could have made Disney the place to be as an animator, where you could hope to do animation projects worth their effort. Disney would have been on the cutting and leading edge of animation again, the undisputed leader instead of the copycat-catch up-me too studio it has become. JURASSIC PARK? We’ll do DINOSAUR. ROAD TO EL DORADO? We’ll do THE EMPEROR’S NEW GROOVE. ANTS? We’ll do A BUG'S LIFE. In  the theme park business Disney  used to be so far ahead of everyone else, the theme park business WAS Disney. But a day at a Disney theme park and a day at say, Universal, are not that different an experience—the same technology, the same kind of adventures, the same newest roller coaster. Disney used to define theme parks by being first with new technologies they owned, not bought, that no one else had. Their theme parks are done better than anyone else, yes, but they are no longer unique. And the same is true of their animation today. By not stretching the field, who looks to Disney today to do the unexpected, to decide the animation of the future, to (heaven forbid) take a risk?

Well, they did FANTASIA 2000 and that’s something comfortable Steven Spielberg would never even try to do. The biggest lesson of FANTASIA 2000, and its biggest failing point is not that the audiences stayed away solely because of poor marketing and screening, they stayed away because of poor word of mouth. The film, sad to say, just wasn’t very good. The creative people at Disney failed Roy Disney, us, and animation. The film was sabotaged from within. They had a chance to do the miraculous (as they did do with the original) and they failed. Here was their chance to do a pure animation film, state of the art, not dictated by the marketing department for a change. Roy Disney fought for this film, and for animation and in the end the best creative people in animation today let him down.. They were called upon to do battle for animation’s future and they failed.

FANTASIA 2000 has its strong points, but they are usually moments here and there. There isn’t one segment that will “amazia”. The overwhelming feeling watching FANTASIA 2000 is how under whelming it all is. Having one of the segments from the original film, THE SORCERER’S APPRENTICE (and there were to be more old ones coming back originally) gave an opportunity to compare the two FANTASIAs. I have often argued that the animators at Disney today are in some ways better than those of the past.  But the one thing this new film lacks is the stuff that made Disney animation great at its core—imagination and inventiveness. THE SORCERER’S APPRENTICE is full of imagination and invention. Every shot, every action is so rich and full, yet flows seamlessly into the whole for an overall even greater tapestry. There is an excitement to seeing the animation. The animation of the new film is writ small because the ideas and their execution are so underdeveloped. The whole film gives the feeling that first impressions became final choices. You don’t create a Sorcerer’s Apprentice, a Night on Bald Mountain and so on with half efforts. These are meticulously crafted animation pieces, worked on and worked on until sculpted down to a masterpiece of invention, wit, taste and a passion you can witness in the final work. The new film looks like it was, by comparison, slapped together without breaking a sweat. Seeing the original FANTASIA in theaters always exhausted me by the end. There was so much visual and audible stimulation that I was drained. There was much to think about animation-wise for days. A few hours after seeing FANTASIA 2000 I was thinking of other mundane things. FANTASIA 2000 was a half-effort thrown together by today’s animation self-proclaimed geniuses. No doubt they will now continue to decry the kind of animation, the type of crass marketing-driven subjects they are “forced” to do in the industry. We have all lost, and this hope for the rebirth of animation was stillborn.

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2005, 08:23:02 PM »

I found "Meet The Parents" remarkable in its unfunniness!  I had no desire to go and see a sequel.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2005, 08:25:13 PM »

I found "Meet The Parents" remarkable in its unfunniness!  I had no desire to go and see a sequel.

Me, too, Tom.  It was quite painful, actually.  There are no surprises when every gag is set up to inflict humiliation upon one of the characters...and no character is quite interesting enough to endure the obvious shame that is coming as a result of something purely stupid on his behalf.

Zoolander was far funnier.  And that's not a compliment.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2005, 08:25:53 PM »

After that was over, I put in YOU'RE IN LOVE, CHARLIE BROWN since I had enjoyed GREAT PUMPKIN so much the other day. This was the fourth PEANUTS cartoon made for TV and the last featuring the original voices of the main characters. I think all of the first four are classics to be treasured, and I much enjoyed this one though it's obvious no touching up has been done at all to the master of this show (unlike GREAT PUMPKIN which looks brand new on DVD). It's fairly drab looking, especially in the second half. But the story is so cute (Charlie trying to work up nerve to talk to the little red haired girl before summer vacation starts) that the visuals are good enough. So glad I have these to watch often. I just always feel better about the world after watching these shows.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2005, 08:27:07 PM »

DR Matth:  Which laserdisc of "Oklahoma!" do you have?  Is it the one mastered from the Todd-AO negative?  That's the one I have and it's splendid.

Yes, that's the one I have. I never bought the CInemascope version.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2005, 08:29:27 PM »

I'm not a great fan of comedy of humilation either, but I think De Niro's stuffy father taking the world so seriously just struck me as funny.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2005, 08:29:34 PM »

I, too, disliked Meet the Parents, and was not overly pleased with Meet the Fockers.  Just something about it really rubs me the wrong way.  I was so uncomfortable watching those movies.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2005, 08:30:32 PM »

Well, TV is a total "wash" this evening.  Absolutely nothing on of interest.

Glad I have some DVDs to pick from...

macchus

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2005, 08:31:45 PM »

I went to see the matinee of "Romance" by David Mamet at the Mark Taper Forum this afternoon.  I am usually a huge fan of Mamet's, and some of his huge talent is on display here.  But the play, for me , was utterly disappointing.
The goal here appeared to be to simply make you laugh constantly.  Not an unworthy goal, but he only made me laugh three times in about 90 minutes.
Mamet knows all the rules of comedy, the actors know how to play it, all the rhythms are there, and he certainly knows how to push words together.  But there is no foundation, little structure, and no concern about the characters.  When this occurs, all that's left is to try to be funny.  The targets and weapons are bumbling forgetfulness and unrestrained vitriol.
A major flaw is that it is a play about a courtroom trial and we are consciously not told what the defendant is on trial for.  It sounds clever, but it comes off as conceit.  If the trial isn't about anything important, then nothing the characters are talking about is important.  At the very end, we learn that the case is quite trivial.
A "Glengarry Glenross", a "House of Games", an "Oleanna" it's not.  Three laughs in ninety minutes at sixty bucks a throw ain't much of a deal.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2005, 08:35:13 PM »

Well, TV is a total "wash" this evening.  Absolutely nothing on of interest.

Glad I have some DVDs to pick from...

FOCKERS was all I could find to watch (but I had been curious since it was SO popular, and it was popular worldwide, something that not all American comedies are).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2005, 08:36:58 PM »

I don't usually forward third party e-mails that I cannot personally verify, but the person that forwarded this to me, assure me that it was sent to her friend directly, and they are indeed friends of her friends.  So, I am forwarding this attachment.  I find it interesting, depressing, shocking, and frightening that this is happening in our very own country, and not some third world country.

Also, this post is not meant as an indictment against anyone, but rather as an eye-opener to those of us who have become used to the Disaster of the Week where everything is neatly wrapped up two hours or less.

Here we are nine weeks after Katrina. Lot's of changes but we're looking at years before things will be anywhere near "normal".

XXXXXXXX & I:

**   Still no outer roof on our store.
**   I replaced the missing shingles on our house.
**   No insurance settlement yet on the store or the house.
**   Power has been staying on and the phones work pretty good.
**   We are having a "sun room" built on to the house where the covered patio was.
**   I haven't been shooting since last June.
**   It rained yesterday, only the second rain since the storm, lucky for the people living in tents.

If I seem content the next few items may explain why.

Other folks:
#   Thousands are living in tents.
#   Hundreds of these are little pop-up camper type tents set up in fields and ball parks and on most any type of community property.
#   Porta potties are every where for the tent dwellers and homeless.
#   Many people have tents or most any kind of shelter set up on their own property where they can.
#   They contractors have been hauling trash daily but most of the lower ground is still piled high with debris and even some bodies are still mixed in it.
#   Hiway 90, what's passable is for emergency and trash haulers only.
#   The only access to Biloxi is the I-110 bridge, Cowan-Lorraine Rd, and Hiway 49 (both in Gulfport). Pass Road is the only East-West road on the Peninsula.
#   The beach area South of the railroad tracks is off limits and for the most part has no power or water.
#   Every building that was on the beach front is all or mostly gone.  Most homes that were within 100 yards of the beach are gone.
#   The Eastern most mile of Biloxi City is gone.
#   Long Beach and Pass Christian are mostly destroyed.
#   Bay St Louis is mostly destroyed.
#   Waveland and Claremont Harbor are flat, just dirt.
#   Most of the municipal water systems are working.
#   Most fast food places are only open part time because they can't get employees.  Most of the people who worked those jobs are gone or drawing unemployment and are better off then when they were working.
#   Most side roads are passable using one lane.
#   Home Depot and Lowes up by I-10 have lines whenever they are open.
#   Keesler has a little commissary in the old NCO club building and a small BX in the student area.
#   Food stores are starting to get stocked up (much of our sustanance came from New Orleans wholesalers).
#   Gas is anywhere from 2.49 to 3.30 for regular SS.
#   Most of our public services, drivers licenses, etc , have moved 100 miles inland to the Hattiesburg area.

I  could go on and on but just think of the simple things
that you might need to do around your town on a daily basis and then try
to imagine what you would do if they were no longer where they've always
been and the routes that you always use to get to them weren't there.
    Actually in my own "lucky" way XXXXXXX and I and our kids are doing fine. As a friend once told me in Korea after a particularly bad battle, "Krach you could fall in shit and come out smelling like roses". Makes me smile to remember old Jack Miller, the guy who made that one up, AND I guess some of the magic is still hooked to me and mine. Thank God!

I want you all to know that we really appreciate our Bat
friends and all the phone calls and encouragement that you all supplied us is what friendship is really about.

Thanks for being our friends,

XXXXXXX & XXXX
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2005, 08:37:10 PM »

I will want a good DVD for tomorrow, however, so I will look long and hard at the to-watch shelf.

I've got IN COLD BLOOD there I know, but having just seen CAPOTE which covers much of the same ground, I think it'll be on hold a little while longer.

I'm thinking maybe LENNY.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2005, 08:37:54 PM »

Oh, I saw that Sony/MGM is putting out a DVD of RYAN'S DAUGHTER very soon, too. I know some of you are fans of it (I'm not).

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »

Francois, thanks for the article.  It makes many interesting points -- for example, I knew that the failure of the original release of Fantasia was due to some marketing issue, but this is a much more thorough history lesson.  I happen to disagree, however, with the author's overall negative view of 2000.  As I said before, I was pleasantly surprised.  The Rhapsody in Blue was brilliant, and the author doesn't seem to notice its existence.

Horseracing...  ;)

Well, enough of this Tomfoolery, I must stop playing and working for the day and go to bed.  Good night all!

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2005, 08:43:32 PM »

Oh, my gosh, I loved MEET THE PARENTS! But then I have never been accused of having good taste in movies.

MBarnum

« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2005, 08:47:03 PM »

And as my pick for the Bollywood movie to watch turned out to NOT have any English sub-titles, despite the front cover stating that it did, I decided to go with another film.

RUSTOM SOHRAB (1963) A spectacle about treachery in 720 B.C. Iran-Persia starring Prithviraj, Premnath, Mumtaz, and any number of other actors and actresses sporting just one name.

The DVD  cover states "The Greatest Hit in Entertainment History" So you know it has to be good. LOL!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 08:48:26 PM by MBarnum »

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2005, 08:47:26 PM »

And thanks, TCB, for posting that letter.  Those conditions are unimaginable for me, but it's good to know that people are not giving up and are trying however they can to get their lives back.  It certainly puts life in perspective, especially for those of us who do WAY too much whining about our lives not being where we want them to be.  At least I have a stable home, a nice apartment, a safe and healthy family, plenty of resources should I need them in an emergency, great friends, good jobs, an amazing husband, and a nice rack.  Amen.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up