Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: YOU KNOW THE DRILL  (Read 20719 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:YOU KNOW THE DRILL
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2005, 11:45:56 AM »

And the word of the day is: TOMFOOLERY!

The Page Three Word-of-Day Dance!:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2005, 11:47:50 AM »

Whew...now I'm going to watch last night's "Threshold."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2005, 11:53:23 AM »

Elmore, glad to know that you are home, safe and sound!  And congratulations on the wonderful evening!!

Can you comment on the "one exception?" ;) You don't have to name names...unless you want to.

We had to cut one number because a performer arrived a day later than the rest of the cast and didn't know her music, even though she'd had the songs for several weeks.  I honestly think she didn't want to do the concert.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2005, 11:55:47 AM »

Tomfoolery: Collective noun for Rodzinski and TCB.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2005, 12:05:15 PM »

TOTD:  All the films mentioned by DRs so far.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2005, 12:21:06 PM »

TOD
Good Night and Good Luck
Capote
Brokeback Mountain
Rent
Producers
Where the Truth Lies
Hmmm I think there may be more....I'm thinking about Chicken Little tomorrow lol
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 12:21:20 PM by Cillaliz »

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2005, 12:43:18 PM »

TOD
Good Night and Good Luck
Capote
Brokeback Mountain
Rent
Producers
Where the Truth Lies
Hmmm I think there may be more....I'm thinking about Chicken Little tomorrow lol

Cillaliz, if you see CHICKEN LITTLE I would love to hear your report on it. I was thinking of taking my grandneice Taylor to it next Friday, but it hasn't gotten very good reviews....so I don't know...

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2005, 12:44:10 PM »

Although gosh knows, Taylor and I aren't that particular about the types of movies we like! LOL!

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2005, 12:44:56 PM »

DR elmore - it's nice to see you back safe and so satisfied with your Chicago experience.  Thanks for the postcard!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2005, 12:45:40 PM »

I must now hie myself to the southernmost parts of Salem and get a BK recommended movie (SWORD OF THE BEAST) that my sister ordered for me from Netflix.

I think I might have a Japanese film festival tonight.

Which reminds me, where has Hisaka been?

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2005, 12:46:26 PM »

Welcome back home DR Elmore3003!

François de Paris

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2005, 12:55:20 PM »

On Broadway, I want to see THE WOMAN IN WHITE.  Yes, I know that tomovoz and I are in disagreement over this one - I like the score (and I'm not an ALW fan) and I love the story.  Plus the fact that I can see both Maria Friedman and Michael Ball on the same stage is reason enough for a winter trip to NYC.
I don't think I need to remind ANYONE how much I want to see LESTAT. . .

Maria Friedman sure knows how to carry a song and has wonderful breath control!

Michael Ball can be "very good"  at times when he controls that darn vibrato!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2005, 01:02:15 PM »

Welcome back home DR Elmore3003!

Thank you, Mikey!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2005, 01:13:27 PM »

I remember hearing about WICKED WICKED from ads on Dean Martin's old variety show (he had a deal with MGM to publicize their releases so that his show could use clips from their musicals with Dean and guests continuing the song which had begun on film.

I think I clipped the review out of VARIETY which should be around here someplace. It sounded amazing but I don't think it ever played here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2005, 01:20:35 PM »

I am about a month behind in reading my hard copies of VARIETY and I just read an interview with one of London-THE WOMAN IN WHITE's producers. They closed the show to make some alterations in it (I'm assuming to make it closer to what's going to open in NYC; they did this with SUNSET BLVD. if I'm not mistaken). The show has been running a year in London but hasn't paid back even 50% of its capitalization.

With a show which is only a moderate "hit" by London standards, one wonders why it was even brought over here.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2005, 01:25:45 PM »

This afternoon, I took a film off the shelf I hadn't watched in many years: FANTASIA. It's still a mind-boggling film experiment, but it's easy to see why it wouldn't have been popular with audiences. Despite the amazing visuals keyed to those classical pieces, one or two segments would seem more than enough to have satisfied theatergoers back in the day. Even as much as I love the film, I could put it on pause, mop the kitchen, and come back to it (which is what I did). Sitting though all of that music and shapr and color is like devouring five or six rich desserts one after another. Sounds more fun than it is in actuality.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2005, 01:27:14 PM »

Tonight, MEET THE FOCKERS comes on HBO, and since I did not see it in the theater, I am planning on watching it. Once it goes off, I may play WIN A DATE WITH TAD HAMILTON! to finish out the night. FOCKERS is in a two hour time slot, but I don't think it runs that long. At least, I hope not.

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2005, 01:43:49 PM »

Cillaliz, if you see CHICKEN LITTLE I would love to hear your report on it. I was thinking of taking my grandneice Taylor to it next Friday, but it hasn't gotten very good reviews....so I don't know...

I'm thinking about it tomorrow, not sure yet.  It's gotten a lot of press here because in the movie they eat Jolly Time Popcorn which is made here in Sioux City.  I'm atually thinking a double feature Chicken Little and Wallace and Grommit  - I could use a day of silly. I'm sort of cranky today

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2005, 01:58:52 PM »

Got no packages today and was very disappointed. :(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2005, 02:04:05 PM »

Back from an absolutely four-star brilliant lunch.  Brilliant was the conversation, with our very own Pogue, and brilliant was the food, courtesy of the best deli in the entire world - Langer's, at 7th and Alvarado, one of the worst neighborhoods in Los Angeles, but Langer's has been going strong there for fifty-seven years, when it was more desirable to live there.  It's a mere block from famous MacArthur Park.

Finally picked up Oklahoma! and The Sound of Music, as well as two more samurai films from Criterion, Kill, and Samurai Spy, both of which sound splendidly splendid.

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2005, 02:05:17 PM »

It's been an odd day here at work (well, odder than usual).  In addition to neither department manager being here, many of our experienced full-timers are also on vacation.  In their place, we have many subs and new part-timers, and they all seem to think I'm the "go to gal."  Now I remember why I stepped away from library administration 20 years ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2005, 02:13:33 PM »

As I said before, I will NOT, I will NOT, I will NOT buy THE SOUND OF MUSIC again.

But I am looking forward to reading the opinions of those who do get it and choose to discuss it.  :)

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2005, 02:15:12 PM »

And now, since I have done the mopping already, I am going downstairs to find myself some trouble to get into before settling in for a night of TV/DVD/DVR watching.

WBBL.

Michael

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2005, 02:21:56 PM »

BK, here's a picture of the pressbook that was on eBay last month, but the auction closed without any bids.

Anyone notice how much the poster looks like the poster from It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 02:26:18 PM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2005, 02:23:23 PM »

Yay, workday is 'bout done.  I'll be on my way home soon to see what DH Richard has up his sleeve for dinner.  Bye for now.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2005, 03:31:35 PM »

I can only echo BK's "brilliant" re: lunch.  we laughed, dished the dirt, and talked of scandalous doings.  He does a great "Pink Angels" impression.

td

• td
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2005, 03:50:45 PM »

Maria Friedman sure knows how to carry a song and has wonderful breath control!

Michael Ball can be "very good"  at times when he controls that darn vibrato!

DR Francois - do you have Ms. Friedman's LIVE cd?
(Do you want a copy of Ms. Friedman's LIVE cd?)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2005, 04:33:28 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  We need some Saturday night fever, baby.

Since I'm not going to get around to watching the full movie of Oklahoma! and The Sound of Music, I will give my first impressions.

Oklahoma!  I would say the Todd-AO transfer is a near disaster - it's dark, it's got constant flickering, and it's not that sharp.  I would say the Cinemascope transfer is much sharper, but still dark, and I just don't find the Cinemascope version of the film interesting or compelling.  And despite the major problems with the Todd-AO transfer, that image has so much depth and life at times it's almost breathtaking - one can only hope that at some future date Fox gets its act together and does a proper transfer, and while they're at it, get rid of the Samuel Goldwyn logo at the beginning.  So, for me, the Todd-AO transfer, with all its problems, is the only version I'll be watching - the performances are better, the direction and cutting is better and, of course, it's got the overture and intermission and exit music.

The Sound of Music, which has gotten much negative press from the usual suspects, looks pretty damn good to my eye, but then I never thought there was a problem with the last DVD, which the same usual suspects tried to say was one of the worst-looking DVDs of all-time.  Obviously, those anal boobs have never seen any REALLY awful-looking DVDs.  They went on and on about "edge enhancement" something I never saw on the DVD.  And, of course, these selfsame anal boobs are now saying this transfer looks a little softer (it doesn't, really, but they're saying it anyway) - well, duh - they took all the edge enhancement off the transfer this time, stupidly listening to the anal boobs, and when you do that the image is softer - as someone recently explained, you HAVE to use a little edge enhancement on every DVD transfer, otherwise the image will invariably be soft.  It's the amount used that's the trick.

François de Paris

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2005, 04:40:45 PM »

DR Francois - do you have Ms. Friedman's LIVE cd?
(Do you want a copy of Ms. Friedman's LIVE cd?)

td:

"You've got male!... I mean MAIL!" :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »

Rodzinski I love your new avatar.

Vixmom, so pleased The Vixter has good teachers this year.  Cute photos.  How does she like her new Girl Scout troup?

Cillializ, François & Ginny-LOL.  Nurse Jane paid for that post & departure-the movie was terrible.  Then we popped in another DVD Keith had rented in error.  I told him we had seen the movie.

DRLaura sound like you need good vibes for next week’s “big do”.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up