Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: ROLLERCOASTER  (Read 25259 times)

Michael

Re:ROLLERCOASTER
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2005, 08:31:24 PM »

Michael Shayne, as Michael Barnum mentioned, you can't really do much research at the Museum of Television and Radio. The database only lists performances which are in the collection. It is not a complete database. It's a good place but it is woefully underfunded. Earlier this year they had to make cutbacks in staff and hours (IIRC). It's a musuem of television and radio but the computer system, even though it's Mac, is old and somewhat decrepit. I am always disappointed that the broadcast and cable television networks don't do more to support this archive. It's in a great building on 52nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues but only because of the efforts of William Paley. If the organization had not had his support I don't know what kind of facility they would have. Even though I don't watch much television anymore I think this kind of archive/museum is an important part of American culture. They should have access to much more material and they should have much more cutting edge technology. Basically, once you find the program you want to watch, you sit in front of a television while a tape is put into a VCR. So much more could be done with DVDs and better computer systems and televisions. Oh, well. It's all a matter of funding and they don't have much other than what Paley left in his will.

I will now step down from my soapbox.

Danise, I will tell Anthony about Bones.

It's been such a long time  since I've been there and I was a member once long ago so I could spend more time on the vcr.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2005, 08:35:58 PM »

This Saturday through Thanksgiving day

Ohh... I guess Thanksgiving is next week... WOW!
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2005, 08:38:12 PM »

Museum of Broadcasting Page 8 Dance

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2005, 08:43:33 PM »

RE: "The Apprentice: Martha Stewart" - I happened to read today's TV column in the Washington Post, and it's been interesting following the whole "we were not cancelled, we had only planned on season anyway" spin.  -I actually thought it was just going to be for one season anyway for the main reason they've been giving:  With the daily talk show, Martha is just too busy to do another season.

Who knows?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2005, 08:47:22 PM »

I've been watching the Bonus DVD of my Hitchcock set all evening. Now I'm watching "Rope" and one of my new favorite actors, Mr. Farley Granger. :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2005, 08:47:36 PM »

You  should be able to score tickets for AVENUE Q and SCOUNDRELS, both of which are excellent entertainment. And for me, SPELLING BEE was this year's AVENUE Q in terms of an original, delightful musical comedy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2005, 08:50:57 PM »

You can bet your bottom (top?) dollar that if Martha's APPRENTICE had scored big in the ratings, she'd be doing another season after the holidays. Fact is, it finished fourth in the time slot and didn't average even 7 million viewers per week. And it's weak, weak ratings have been hurting LAW & ORDER, too, by not providing much of a lead-in audience for it.

All of that talk about "only one season" is merely to save face for Martha and NBC.

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2005, 09:08:27 PM »

I'm heading for bed now.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the evening.

Good night, all!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: November 15, 2005, 09:15:53 PM »

I'm sooooo zonked right now.  I am finally two DVDs away from being finished viewing footage.  Today, many VHS tapes were dumped on me, but they're all cued up, so IF I end up using any of them, I'm just transfering the first thirty seconds of whatever's there.  A lot of the VHS tapes are from working actors, but not what we'd call celebs, and I think this thing is going to become very unwieldy if we use it all.  I'd rather less people and slightly longer clips.  My co-director told me he thought it would be fine at ten minutes long - I think not.  That is just too long for an audience to sit watching video in a live show.  So, the longest I'll allow is five minutes, but you're talking at least twenty to thirty people, so that's less than thirty seconds per.  It's really difficult to do, but we shall do our best.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: November 15, 2005, 09:26:39 PM »

Well, I'm pretty zonked now too...  So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #220 on: November 15, 2005, 09:37:52 PM »

just finished up the Special Features disc of THE SOUND OF MUSIC's 40th anniversary dvd; I was fine until the great-grandchildren of the real Maria & Georg stood up on the Hollywood Bowl's stage and sang "Edelweiss."   :'(
A thought occurred to me with the mention of it being Oscar Hammerstein's final lyrics, as everyone mentions how appropriate these lyrics were for a dying man, I thought - - well, the verse to "The Sound of Music" (which was not used for the film) was even more a propos: My day in the hills has come to an end, I know. A star has come out to tell me it's time to go.  But deep in the dark green shadows are voices that urge me to stay; so I pause and I wait and I listen for one more sound, for one more lovely thing that the hills might say. . ."

As for OKLAHOMA! - i only looked at the "All er Nothin'" chapter of both the 'scope and the Todd-AO, the 'scope transfer throws lassoes around the Todd-AO presentation, which (to my eyes) looked like a 2nd generation video dub. . .truly, all or nothin.

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: November 15, 2005, 09:57:50 PM »

I'm tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiired.  Trying to finish the DVD I started, but after so much viewing, it's tough going.  I shall endure, oh, yes, I shall endure.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: November 15, 2005, 11:25:36 PM »

I'm tired, and yet George and I are the only ones in the jernt for the last NINETY MINUTES.  Oh, well.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up