Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DROWSY BK  (Read 33952 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE DROWSY BK
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2005, 07:58:18 AM »

I am stuck at this weight, and so I can't get into a contest....maybe if my will power kicks in....otherwise DRJOSE and DRJOY can duke it out!

DR JANE I have lost a total of 34 pounds, which makes life much easier and the clothes fit much nicer.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2005, 08:00:58 AM »

I agree with DR MATTH - Neil Patrick Harris is the best thing on HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER....the other performers are so uninteresting as to be BLAND, but the writing is the real culprit.  I thought it was FINALLY over last night, but it turns out I had only seen 20 minutes of it .... whew!

OUT OF PRACTICE does have some sharp writing and some great pros in Stockard Channing and Henry Winkler - both of whom have such wonderful REACTIONS to things - the three actors playing their children are okay.  The oldest son who is supposed to be a BIG womanizer seems a bit fey to me - but what do I know?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2005, 08:02:11 AM »

I will not discuss Broadway singers.  My feelings are well known and well criticised - but my feelings will not change.

I agree with DR ELMORE that the change seems to have started around the time of HAIR but I will also add DREAMGIRLS.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2005, 08:08:24 AM »

Page Two Dreamgirls dance!  8)

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:10:08 AM by JRand55 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2005, 08:11:02 AM »

With all the Thanksgiving programming this week, I have been reminiscing wistfully about Thanksgivings past, most notably about those when my mom was preparing dinner for family.  I gues you could say that I am wistful about the states of "wisteria" she would get into trying to make everything perfect.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:12:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2005, 08:11:36 AM »

I also think the first 3-D effect of the painted falling onto the screen and the kitchen knife dispatch were great on MEDIUM last night.

But I only watched the first half, I was getting a headache.

DRMBARNUM....Thanksgiving comes but once a year.  And you have a new car with a new window.  Make a nice CD of Bollywood music and enjoy the drive!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2005, 08:15:11 AM »

I was So-o-o tired last night that I didn't think I'd last til 9 o'clock, much less "Medium."

Somehow, though, I managed.

Loved the 3-D effects, but I wish the effects had yielded some clues vital to the outcome of the story (which was pretty darned good).

I, too, enjoyed "Out of Practice," but I wish Henry Winkler would stay behind the camera.  No way would Stockard Channing EVER been married to him.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2005, 08:17:27 AM »

Boy!  This week is flying by (NOT!).  So, today is officially Wednesday as far as work days go.

Nothing special going on today, so far as I know.  Tomorrow is the birthday lunch for my boss at a nice local Italian restaurant.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2005, 08:19:02 AM »

Hmmmm....if "Lord of the Rings" had centered more on Samwise Gamgee, gardener, instead of Frodo, would the Oscar-winning song for "Return of the King" been titled "Into the Wisteria"?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2005, 08:19:43 AM »

If I'm sounding a tad wisterical this morning, it's because I'm still sleepy and haven't had more than a few sips of my daily cup of coffee.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2005, 08:27:04 AM »

What you see is what you get...when you just sit there looking and don't post.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2005, 08:27:34 AM »

I can post till the cows come home...and you can ask BK just how long THAT takes.

Those cows ain't in any hurry to come home.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2005, 08:28:59 AM »

Speaking of cows, has Borden's totally folded?  I haven't seen hide ner hair of Elsie or Elmer in ages.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2005, 08:29:22 AM »

DR MBarnum - My sister and I have done many of those "meet halfway" routines (between southern Michigan and southern Ohio) to exchange our mom (who lives near me) for holiday visits.  This week, my sister and her husband are coming here, as is their daughter from Illinois.  I keep getting emails from my mother, announcing who's leaving home when, how worried they are about a snow prediction, and who's staying how long.  She doesn't cope well, at almost 87 (her birthday is Sunday), with this kind of uncertainty.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:31:53 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2005, 08:30:20 AM »

So what are you doing for the big T Day Mr. Ron?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jason

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2005, 08:31:22 AM »

Good day, all.

The opening night of SEASCAPE was a disappointment, indeed. No red carpet...no celebs. Just me and a very odd play that made me feel stupid when I left the theatre. I "got it" while I was watching it, but when I left the theatre and had to think about it, I just didn't understand what I'd seen. I doubt that I'm the only who feels that way, but it's never pleasant to feel dumb.

Anywho...I have just been invited to a screening of "Rent" tonight at 7:00. Most of the cast will be there for a Q&A, so that should be interesting.

TOD: I believe vocal styles on Broadway, like vocal styles on the radio, have evolved with the what the general population wants to hear. Broadway is, after all, a form of popular entertainment. I'll agree with DR Elmore and say the "sound" started changing with HAIR, and how.

As a singer, I can speak technically about why the vocal styles have changed - Merman-sized voices aren't required when one has a microphone on one's forehead. "Trained" singers aren't needed for their strong voices anymore - the mic can help you get through eight shows a week, so technique isn't so much of an issue anymore. One can't deny that you must have a strong technique to sing "Defying Gravity" eight times a week, but one can't deny that it'd be difficult for even the best of singers to get through eight performances of it a week without ampilification.

As much as I love some of those old-school Broadway voices and writers, I think Broadway very likely would have ceased to exist by now if all we had were Mermans and Porters and R&Hs. They were the popular artists of their time - not now. I know a lot of people feel that Broadway is a dying art. I say it's an evolving art. If it DIDN'T evolve it'd be completely defunct.

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2005, 08:35:36 AM »

Speaking of cows, has Borden's totally folded?  I haven't seen hide ner hair of Elsie or Elmer in ages.

I think they are called Eagle brand now, but Elsie is still on the label.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2005, 08:36:52 AM »

Sort of TOD - One of my pet peeves, which we see a lot in high school musicals around here, is the casting of kids who can sing and dance, but can't act their way out of a paper bag.  Which is why we see Laurie's who just stick out their lower lip and pout (yes, DR elmore, second generation!).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2005, 08:38:39 AM »

Oh, man, I so don't want to be at work today!  DH Richard is home making pumpkin pies.  When I leave here at 6pm, I won't have to come back until Monday - hoo and ray!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2005, 08:43:22 AM »

So what are you doing for the big T Day Mr. Ron?

Doing?  DOING?

Well, a pork loin roast.

The cranberry-pear relish mentioned two days ago.

And something with yams...

Oh, yes...I'm moved to do "The Yam", I think.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2005, 08:45:15 AM »

As much as I love some of those old-school Broadway voices and writers, I think Broadway very likely would have ceased to exist by now if all we had were Mermans and Porters and R&Hs. They were the popular artists of their time - not now. I know a lot of people feel that Broadway is a dying art. I say it's an evolving art. If it DIDN'T evolve it'd be completely defunct.

From what I've heard, it's mostly a DEvolving art.

Along with the so-called pop music culture of our present time.

My $.02!

Michael

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2005, 08:46:19 AM »

Hello from Times Square where it is wet, damp and coldish.

Last night had a wonderful dinner and gabfest with Larry, Ben and Fred. We dished the dirt and when we thought there was no more to be dished we found some more to dish.

We had dinner at Barrymore's. My first and last time as when I come back to NYC the next time it will be gone. SAD

Today I am off to the Museum of Broadcasting meeting a friend from Florida who has moved up here. Dinner and Judy Kaye in Souvenir.

Stop off at the Drama Bookshop where they keep BK's book Writer's Block in the non-fiction writing section.

Well that;s it for now.

Tata
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2005, 08:49:58 AM »

I have a theory -- yes, a theory!

It's that there are so many people out there who want to believe that they, too, can have a career in entertainment...that they, too, can sing, or dance...that they're willing to embrace (yes, EMBRACE!) any mediocre form of same as proof that ANYONE can be a star despite a lack of talent.

And I don't mean a singing voice, or the ability to tap or do a little dancing...

And that's why the phenomenon of "American Idol" works so well in the TV ratings.  I haven't heard a single song by Kelly or Clay since the competition that I would want to hear again.  They're being mass-marketed and the target audience is that mass that buy into the "anyone can be a star" theory.  The current state of affairs is being driven by this.

Real talent is RARE and there is not a profusion of it and it is not rife in all the arts....there are few, true, talented artists out there...and they get wasted, for the most part, singing mediocre material and performing mediocre choreography.

Nowhere does it rear its tacky, ugly head more obviously than in Hollywood, but it's on Broadway, too.

(Huge exhalation of breath)!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:52:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2005, 08:52:41 AM »

From what I've heard, it's mostly a DEvolving art.

Where is the Devo jukebox musical?

When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it
When something's going wrong
You must whip it
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2005, 08:52:43 AM »

Re: last night's 3D MEDIUM.

Does anyone else here feel like different writers wrote the last 2 episodes?  The first ones in the season, all had many intricate twists and unexpected turns, yet the story was still incomplete at 9:50pm.  Yet the past 2 episodes (including last night's 3D) have been a bit more predictable, and have finished with plenty of time to spare (including many extra cute but unnessary scenes at the end).

I did enjoy last night's 3D show. And I think it was a good mix of 3D and not 3D. Since some people did not have the glasses i don't think it would have been fair to have the whole show 3D. Plus i think it would have hurt my eyes.

I liked how they showed us when to use the glasses (the little eyeball popped up in the left top corner). I think the show was quite good and I may watch those parts again.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2005, 08:54:07 AM »

Re: last night's 3D MEDIUM.

Does anyone else here feel like different writers wrote the last 2 episodes?

Not I.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:54:58 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2005, 08:56:38 AM »

More coffee for DR RLP!

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2005, 08:56:43 AM »

Doing?  DOING?

Well, a pork loin roast.

The cranberry-pear relish mentioned two days ago.

And something with yams...

Oh, yes...I'm moved to do "The Yam", I think.

But are you eating this with friends or family or by yourself m'dear?

Jason

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2005, 08:58:03 AM »

Where is the Devo jukebox musical?

When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it
When something's going wrong
You must whip it

HA!! DtM, you make-a me raff!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2005, 08:58:40 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Got up at eight and had nineteen e-mails waiting to be answered.

If the young John Reardon walked into an audition today and sang the way he sang, he would not get a job.  It's not just Aida - I "get" rock musicals, and no, the singing required there is completely different to "regular" musicals.  However, Liz Callaway does not have a voice like gals of old - she has a completely different tone and style that is very much of today (in fact, she probably helped lead the way).  In other words, Liz Callaway/Barbara Cook - very different tones and styles.  Alice Ripley/Joan Weldon - very different tones and styles.  I know it began changing in the mid-60s, but I'm trying to determine exactly when.   Karen Morrow, who was coming up then, was in the Susan Johnson mold.  Jill O'Hara was definitely a different sound (and not a good one, at least not in Promises).  By A Chorus Line, we had the newer sound, but still had the Richard Kiley/Bob Goulet/John Reardon sound.  By 1985 the latter had all but disappeared.  And then, we began to have the loud belters (not like Ethel Merman - something completely different in tone and style), the Alice Ripley/Emily Skinner/Idina Menzel types, but, if you listen to my albums you will hear a very specific kind of female voice and it is not like female voices of old in any way, save for people like Judy Kaye, who still does the old thing, and Kristin Chenoweth, who CAN do the old thing if she feels like it.  The one gal who can also do it, and does do it, is Audra MacDonald.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up