Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DROWSY BK  (Read 33667 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE DROWSY BK
« on: November 22, 2005, 12:18:51 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have illuminated you, you have illuminated the notes, and now it is time for you to post until The Drowsy Cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 02:52:55 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE DROWSY BK
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 12:19:14 AM »

And the word of the day is: WISTERIA!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 12:51:01 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I have no idea.  I've wondered if the microphone had something to do with it, though.  It's a different technique with the mic than without...for the most part.  Right?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 12:53:22 AM »

It's not just the mic - it's a whole different tone, a whole different style, and a whole different sound.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 03:48:34 AM »

I'm blaming Jose.  Jose and his blankety-blank head mikes.  It's all part of his evil plot for pianos to take over the world.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 03:53:13 AM »

It's raining in Rehoboth Beach.

That's for those of you who care about how wet it is.

I'm blaming Jose for that, too.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 04:38:27 AM »

Cold rainy morning here in NYC.

I had a great dinner last night with Michael Shayne, Larry Moore and Fred Landau. The time came to talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings.

Oh, yes, we also spoke of many Hainsies and Kimlets. Ears must have been burning from the West Coast to the East with stops all over the U.S. I had the Broadway Chicken Sandwich, Michael had Salmon, Larry had a Cheddar Burger and Fred had a cheeseburger but I forget which cheese was melted. Three of us had dessert, Boston Cheesecake (me), New York Cheesecake (Larry) and vanilla ice cream (a She Loves Me reference while speaking of Michael).

I have my performance evaluation tomorrow at 10am and then I leave the office at 11:30am.

We might see a production of Cats on Friday. A friend is doing it on Long Island at the Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts. He's trying to get us into the final dress. It opens on Saturday. If we can't get into the final dress we probably won't go.

There are some good voices on Broadway right now but the sound certainly has changed. No bout adout it (sic). I don't know why it's changed although I do think audiences are different now and they don't know from the old sound. Also, the younger audiences are used to a pop sound and if you're trying to get younger butts on seats, you try to give them what they want.

"There are no Wisteria trees on my block"
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 04:41:23 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 04:40:54 AM »

And I am all alone here at 7:40am.

Even when I leave I shall probably be noted at the top of the board as being on-line but I'm not, I'm not. I'm re-writing part of a training manual for our department. It's one of the last things I will be doing this year.

I'm free associating right now. I need to go upstairs to the mail room/supply room and get one of those desk calendars. They didn't deliver mine in the inter-office mail and I need one.

And with that I will move to other spaces, other places.

That's the title of my next novel, Other Spaces, Other Places.

Bye!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 05:20:14 AM »

Good morning, all!  Today Skip Kennon comes to Toyland to help us with our final proof.  Meeting at 11:00.

Beyond that, I have no thoughtsd for the day beyond dropping off this Mario Frangoulis piece and picking up something else from my producer.

DRSWW, I forgot to answer your question about the HARRY POTTER score, which I loved but found a wholly different aural experience from a John Williams score.  I didn't catch any Samuel Barber reference, but I realize that the score, except in some moments where the music took over, wasn't my primary focus.  If the reference occurs where I believe you meant, the music was truly appropriate or I would have noticed.  The two spots of music I remember are the delightful waltz at the ball and some wonderful bits with lots of celesta.  I want to get the soundtrack to hear it again.

Vocal styles have indeed changed, and I blame HAIR.  and Jose.

What I don't like are revisicals with these pop voices being asked to take on roles they're vocally unsuited for, like Stokes Mitchell in KISS ME, KATE or MAN OF LA MANCHA (or SOUTH PACIFIC).  Stokes Mitchell can be a fine singer, but I don't want to hear him singing material I'd prefer to hear a Bryn Terfel baritone doing.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 05:45:27 AM »

It was  a lovely dinner at Barrymore's with Ben, Larry and Michael.  It was truly a joy meeting Michael for the first time, and would have been EVEN more of a joy had Joy stopped by  :) , and wonderful seeing Larry and Ben again.  Thanks so much to Larry for having arranged it.  

Since these notes are here for posterity, I just wanted to add that the cheese on my burger was of the swiss variety.  And while I was not listed as having dessert, I wouldn't want anyone to think I've been dieting;  that was a result of my having had as an appetizer an order of chicken fingers which I had been assured was an appetizer portion but turned out not to be fingers but five actual almost-full-size chicken cutlets.  So calorically, I decided that my appetizer was my dessert, and that somehow made sense for me.

Then of course, I went home and had a Kit Kat bar.  :(

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 06:40:15 AM »

Good morning!

The rain clouds have cleared away for a couple of days and we have some beautiful fall weather here. Temps will be dropping drastically tonight, but for now, we're loving this very moderate climate.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 06:43:59 AM »

I guess Broadway singing styles have changed, but I think more of it has to do with the types of music the vocalists are singing. They're going to sing Elton John's AIDA differently than RAGTIME.

But I'm certainly no music expert and wouldn't begin to be able to note when the changes occurred.

I find it very funny that when someone on AMERICAN IDOL sings a song straight without much embellishment or melisma, the judges call that "Broadway" singing. They must not have been to a Broadway theater lately.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 06:44:46 AM »

My friend and I are going to the noon showing HARRY POTTER today, so I'll be back in the late afternoon with my feelings about the film. I promise - no spoilers.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 06:46:12 AM »

I didn't get any packages yesterday, and if I don't get any today, I'll find something on the shelf to watch that I haven't already seen on DVD. I was kind of eyeing ABSENCE OF MALICE last night.

I also have CSI: MIAMI from last night to watch.

td

• td
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 06:49:17 AM »

Hmmm. . .about that TOD. . .
Did Babs bring the bevy of belters with her when she was in FUNNY GIRL?
As for those voices of yore:
Alfred Drake
Richard Kiley
John Raitt
Robert Morse, whose spirit lives on in Norbert Leo Butz
Harold Lang
Barbara Cook
Judy Holliday
Susan Johnson
Jo Sullivan, whose spirit lives on in Emily Loesser
Vivian Segal
Judy Tyler
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 06:52:26 AM »

Just a note of something ironic I read yesterday in VARIETY.

For those who have been following the move toward high definition DVDs that is coming up in 2006, there are two warring factions who have different formats for high def DVDs. The version that has gotten the most studio and manufacturer support thus far as been Blu-Ray originated by Sony.

At various electronics shows for the last couple of years, Sony has been showing prototypes of the Blu-Ray HD system but they have never had a complete film mastering in high definition to show off their system. They've always used excerpts from various movies.

Well, yesterday, Sony announced their first totally high definition movie on Blu-Ray disc.

And what monumental cinematic masterpiece did they choose to show off the best of picture and sound on Blu-Ray?

A James Bond movie perhaps? Or CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND maybe? Or possibly a musical like FUNNY GIRL or OLIVER!

Nope!

Their premiere Blu-Ray high definition movie choice is:

(wait for it)

(here it comes)

CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE.

No wonder the movie business is in such turmoil.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 06:55:00 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 06:57:04 AM »

Favorite theater voices from days gone by:

Julie Andrews (first and foremost)

Barbara Cook

Alfred Drake

John Raitt

Mary Martin

John Reardon

Angela Lansbury

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 06:57:26 AM »

Oops (Spoo), forgot one:

Susan Johnson

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 07:20:03 AM »

God Morning I have not caught up to last night.  Just wanted to say good morning and thank you,  thank you to MattH for the DVD... getting Medium was nice but the extras were a wonderful suprise!

You have a beautiful voice and I am very pleased to have these little selections. Thank you so much.

The Medium you sent me did indeed have the little grey bars tops & bottom that you mentioned but I found them not a bit distracting and I must say the picture quality was absolutely amazing.  (You would cry if you saw the normal quality on our TV)

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 07:23:18 AM »

Speaking of medium... I have another complaint to lay at Jose's door.... as we all know last night was the BIG 3-D EPISODE!!!!  There were little 3_D bits scattered throughout... but there i am watching and the big scene comes  'Here Allison here are all 45  oil paintings" (the only time we really needed the 3D were to look at the oil paintings)

AND THE POWER GOES OUT IN MY WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!

Oh, it came back on, yes it came back on within moments, within moments of the scene being over!!

Oh that Jose!!!

td

• td
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 07:23:23 AM »

Oops (Spoo), forgot one, too (thanks DR Matt H):
Dame Julie, of course!

Which brings me back to:
Robert Goulet! (Robert Goulet! My God! Robert Goulet!)

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 07:24:26 AM »

Hey, DR Vixmom, I'm glad you got the disc and enjoyed the selections. I appreciate the kind words.

I admit I am very spoiled now when it comes to TV reception. You get used to a certain level of clarity in the image once you jump to HD, and when you have to endure some channels which come in fuzzy and grainy, even over digital cable, it's pretty unbearable.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 07:24:58 AM »

TOD:

I'm not completely sure, but I would think that vocal styles first began to change with the development of the concept musical.  While the straightforward musicals of the early part of the century preferred singers who were trained, sang technically well and pleasantly, too, the concept musicals stressed performances in character, which didn't always require a classically trained voice.  For example, I'm thinking of Jill Haworth as Sally Bowles, half the dancers in A CHORUS LINE, Jerry Orbach (normally a fine singer) grating his voice through CHICAGO.  I'm not saying these people sang badly, but that the shows that came along from the late 60s and thru the next 25 years had a more relaxed and naturalistic bent and this is reflected in the vocal performances of the period.  Pretty voices still existed, but the reason behind the prettiness was now a conscious choice and not just the norm.

There was another change in the mid 90s, and I have no idea how it came about.  But suddenly there were Celine Dion-esque howl-a-thons like SIDE SHOW, JEKYLL & HYDE and RENT with vocal pyrotechnics that existed for their own sake.  This was before American Idol, so it can't be blamed on that (though there's been a lot more since the show became so popular.)  Maybe this is some kind of influence from the Andrew Lloyd-Webber days or it's a desire on the part of composers to appeal to the vocal diva fans.  I'm not sure where it came from, but I certainly do not like it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 07:27:33 AM »

Yes, Robert Goulet slipped my mind too, DR td, and I'd definitely include him. Seeing him live on stage in THE HAPPY TIME was one of my most memorable theater experiences, and I fell instantly in love with him in that show.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2005, 07:29:17 AM »

I need to go get ready for my HARRY POTTER outing.

WBBL.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2005, 07:36:26 AM »

I don't really know from Broadway singers....but, as DR Elmore3003 knows I am not a big fan of the "Broadway style" of singing. It wouldn't keep me from seeing a show, however...but for instance, for listening to a CD I  much prefer to hear the "soundtrack" from the film version of FLOWER DRUM SONG over the "cast album" of the Broadway version.

As for Broadway singers...Tom Wopat and Keith Andes are two that I enjoy.

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2005, 07:52:37 AM »

TOD - I agree that material and microphones seem, to a humble ticket-buyer, to have influenced Broadway singing.  Voice choices from the past, in addition to those previously-mentioned:

Male:  Harve Presnell

Female:  Mimi Hines - Fanny in the Broadway Funny Girl I saw in 1967; more recently, I have enjoyed Christine Andreas.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2005, 07:54:28 AM »

MBarnum I have been remiss in offering my condolences on the loss of your friend.  I am truly sorry.  :-*

I have also been remiss on extending my congratulations on the new addition to your family,  :D Welcome to Hildy!! (Leisel is a nice name too)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 07:56:06 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2005, 07:57:07 AM »

Special note to all HHWers who have recently lost weight..

DO NOT WORRY!!!!

I have found it... it is right here in my pants... come and get it!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:00:47 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2005, 07:57:57 AM »

My Aunt Teria is going to miss Thanksgiving dinner with us this year.  As we are all sitting around the table  I know what my Mom will say

" I wis' Teria was here.................."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 07:59:29 AM by vixmom »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up