Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SAN FRANCISCO, HERE I COME  (Read 26253 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SAN FRANCISCO, HERE I COME
« on: December 05, 2005, 12:22:02 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're feeling the San Francisco vibe, and now it is time for you to post until the San Francisco Cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 01:37:42 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SAN FRANCISCO, HERE I COME
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 12:23:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: RATATOUILLE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 12:35:28 AM »

McDonald's Filet-O-Fish with slivered onions added and Skipper's regular fish with dill tartar sauce.  That's pretty much the extent of fish that I like.  I don't have recipes, either.  Sorry.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 01:29:59 AM »

Don't much care for fish and rarely...very rarely...eat it.  I especially do not understand the allure of any kind of shellfish or sushi.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 05:40:53 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm home today taking care of all the homebound requirements before a colonoscopy.  I am not looking forward to any of this.

So, I slept late.  Manhattan seems very quiet for a cold Monday morning, but I like this wintery weather.  I'll work on the concert orchestrations today and see how far I get.

TOD:
  Grilled tuna
  Grilled salmon
  clam chowder
  shrimp in many Italian and Chinese dishes
  fried oyesters
  oyster stew
  scallops
  no calamari, no octopus  EVER!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 06:08:52 AM »

Monday greetings!  It's cold, cold, cold here and supposed to get colder.

TOD - grilled salmon, steamed Alaskan king crab legs, trout almondine, fried clams (the best I've ever had were on the pier in Avon by the Sea, NJ), clam dip, broiled scallops, tuna - cold in salads and hot in noodle casseroles.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 06:53:21 AM »

I love fish...salmon, trout, eel are favorites. Fried Catfish, all types of shellfish, octopus, it's all good!

MBarnum

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 06:54:16 AM »

Boy, not many posts this morning. It is a good thing that BK is in San Francisco and not near his bitch-slapping contraption!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 07:15:34 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're feeling the San Francisco vibe, and now it is time for you to post until the San Francisco Cows come home.  To it, I say.
The San Francisco Cows live in the Cow Palace, right?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 07:18:04 AM »

The Littlest Angel, with Johnny Whitaker and Fred Gwynne, was a Hallmark Hall of Fame production.  As I recall, it was also the first (or one of) to use the Chroma-Key system, where actors performed in front of a blue screen and the backgrounds were added later.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 07:19:34 AM »

Time to get to work.  The phone rang about an hour ago, asking me to come in on a day off, so I'm on again.

We may get snow this afternoon!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 07:26:36 AM »

Good Morning all...

I'm not m,uch of a fish person.... I like the Fish & Chips at an English style "chippy" in  place in Grand Prairie, Canada... I think its fried cod... but I must put lots of tartar sauce and lemon on the fish....

I do like shrimp, dipped in cocktail sauce wih lemon, or just about anyway its cooked.

I had some wonderful scallops cooked at a hibachi restaurant in Ocotober and once had a wonderful scallop dish that had the scallops in a lovely sherry/cream sauce and served in something that resemled the botom of a pie shell only it was made of mashed potatoes that had been mixed witrh chheses and then browened under the broiler... I cxaqnnot remember the name of the dish... no doubt Woody or Jose could tell us

I once was at a fancy Christmas party in a French restaurant in DC and had a lovely lobster dish... agian servedin a sherry/cream sauce....

(maybe its actually sherry/cream sauces I like and not the fish.....hmmmm)

For my tuna sandwiches I prefer Starkist light (not white) tuna, packed in spring water, well drained and mixed witha  little Kraft mayo and lemon and preferably served on toasted rye or a toasted onion bagel

I like crab cakes when I'm in Maryland... everybody else's seem like so much bread crumbs with a sprinkling of crab juice.....

And my mother makes a wonderful hot crab dip every Christmas

I don't care for any raw fish or shellfish and I am not really much of a fish eater although I'm told salmon is really very good for you.......

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 07:28:05 AM »

Elmore... ~~~VIBES~~~ for excellent test results

vixmom

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 07:29:29 AM »

Continued ~~~~HEALTH VIBES~~~~ for dear Danise

you are officially on the prayer lsit at my church now so there's a whole bunch of Lutherans praying for ya!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 07:45:48 AM »

DR ELMORE good vibes on your journey to the center of YOU.

DR MBARNUM I am so glad you enjoyed AVENTURERA...it is indeed a LOT of movie for one movie!  And I always thought that the dance routines were pretty expensive and extensive to mount in a Mexican Whorehouse, but I guess that's ENTERTAINMENT!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 07:46:53 AM »

Does Guy Haines have to blow up his own balloons?  Will Mr Sondheim himself be in attendance?  Are there LOTS of dance numbers?

Will the young girl report immediately to headquarters that she spotted Guy Haines?  Interesting.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 07:47:26 AM »

I like fish sticks with ketchup and french fries.

I like shrimp.

I like bananas, because they have no bones.

FJL

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 07:53:17 AM »

I used to love Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips.  The deep frying chased away all those pesky nutritious vitamins.

I love shrimp and lobster, but I hate having to rip apart the lobster, so I prefer the lobster tails to a whole lobster.  And if you're of a mind to splurge, they sell frozen lobster meat at many fish stores, although that's QUITE expensive.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 07:57:10 AM »

Good morning!

We have a thoroughly miserable day here with cold temperatures, very rainy gray skies, and just plain old yuck!

But we needed the rain, so I won't complain about it any more.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 07:58:03 AM »

I'm not much of a fish lover either, though fried flounder is very good.

Now, I like other seafood like shrimp and scallops much more than fish.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 08:05:36 AM »

Read the section in the Champion biography about JUPITER'S DARLING this morning. I have the movie on laserdisc and admit it's never been one of my favorites, but since my memories of it are so vague, I will need to pull it out at some point this week and watch it again.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 08:07:33 AM »

Just a note for fans of either or both of the shows:

Fox is burning off its remaining episodes of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT and KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL starting tonight, so if you like either or both, better watch them now.

I read that Brian Grazer is shopping ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT around to other networks and cable channels (including Showtime) in an attempt to save it. I'll be interested to see if anyone wants it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 08:09:53 AM »

I like fish sticks with ketchup and french fries.

I like shrimp.

I like bananas, because they have no bones.
The things you learn at HHW!  I always thought bananas were a waste:  once you skin them and throw away the bone there's nothing there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2005, 08:10:37 AM »

We're in for a bitchslapping...I can feel it coming.  

I love fish, and most seafood in general.  Salmon, baked with a sauce I concocted made of mayo, crushed garlic, lime juice, and a sprinkle of seafood seasoning...very good.  Also just grilled salmon is excellent.  Also love cod, made with lemon pepper seasoning, fish and chips, tuna, halibut...all so good.  Seafood chowders and pasta dishes are always excellent.  
I'm a tad more picky about shellfish.  I like crab, clams, and scallops, but only in certain forms and/or dishes.  Clam chowder or fried clams are excellent.  Crab salad or just fresh crab is good.  Shrimp can be wonderful, but the really big ones scare me.  Never much cared for oysters.  Can't stand sushi.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2005, 08:15:05 AM »

The San Francisco Cows live in the Cow Palace, right?

Only the royal cows.  The King (technically, a bull) and the Queen (an actual female cow rather than a gay cow in drag), two princes (one of whom we wonder about) and four princesses (one is over 30 and rides a motorcycle).  Oh, and the Dowager cow (who's a real bitch).

All the rest live in valleys and glens and dells around the City.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 08:30:21 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2005, 08:16:51 AM »

Sushi, ugh! I dated a restaurant critic once, and he took me along when he was reviewing a new Japanese restaurant. This was my first (and last) experience with sushi. The dishes we had later were fine (and he said the sushi was excellent), but I didn't like anything I sampled from the sushi platter.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2005, 08:19:32 AM »

I do not fear the bitch slapping machine. I was here posting like a good little boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2005, 08:21:19 AM »

A friend just called and we're doing lunch in a little while, so I must get myself up from here and get a shower.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2005, 08:27:48 AM »

What is the TOD?  FISH?

Well, I admit I was not much of a fish person most of my life.  I grew up eating fried catfish, trout, crappie and bass, plus fried shrimp.  This would be on average of once a week.  I neither loved it or hated it.  I did hate the bones which were almost always present in everything except shrimp.  

When we would go to the beach in the summer, I would indulge in fried red snapper (LOVED it.  And while I never ordered it, I'd always enjoy a taste of my mom's order of lobster.

My father loved a good oyster stew, and that would be supper on Friday nights sometimes.  I'd settle for the liquid and oyster crackers (or I could go without).  

In fact, most of my fish eating when I lived with my parents -- with the exception of an occasional shrimp cocktail -- was of the "fried" variety.  

Once, however, when I was a senior in high school, my mom came home and announced we were having fish for supper.  Her boss had been deep sea fishing and had brought her a considerable amount of blue dolphin (fish, not mammal).  This was probably the most wonderful fish I've ever tasted.  My mom baked it.  We had enough for several meals.  My father had enough the first time, but my mom would prepare some for me while giving my father something else.

All of this notwithstanding, I have not, in my adult life, made much effort (until the past couple of years) to include fish in my diet.

When I was in Italy where I learned to adore calamari (that's fried squid, which is quite tasty).  I tried other dishes...clams on spaghetti and clams on other kinds of pasta...but ...no...it never really set well with me.  I can eat virtually anything fried...oysters, clams, etc.  But never anything slimy.  Too much like eating snot.

During my carrier tours of duty, the Chief's Mess would often serve fresh lobster or crab...and I really enjoyed it.

In the past couple of years, though, I've gotten very much "into" grilled salmon, halibut, swordfish, trout, sole and tuna.  Nothing tastes as sweetly delicious as grilled fresh fish with complementary herbs.  I also love "blackened" anything (cajun-style).  

I've tried sushi.  I have.  Twice.  The folks around me were just beside themselves with gustatorial glee.  And I was chewing and chewing and chewing and wondering if anything pleasurable or remotely tasty would come from any of it.  Sadly, sushi leaves me cold.  And, yes!  I tried all the different sauces and dips with bites of food. I can burn the crap out of my tongue and mouth without having to deal with raw fish, too.

That's my "what is it, fish" story.  And I'm stickin' to it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 08:38:48 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2005, 08:33:27 AM »

Just a note for fans of either or both of the shows:

Fox is burning off its remaining episodes of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT and KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL starting tonight, so if you like either or both, better watch them now.

I read that Brian Grazer is shopping ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT around to other networks and cable channels (including Showtime) in an attempt to save it. I'll be interested to see if anyone wants it.

Dang! We love Arrested Development... I hope someone picks it up, although hopefully not Showtime as we no longfer have that as Outr Cable cpo has been taking away those channels we watch to replace them with channels in Spanishor full of Sports, which we do not watch.... I am thuis close to cancelling except we don't have anything better....to go to at the moment....the Dolan family really has us all over a barrel.....

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up