Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HO, HO, HO  (Read 42691 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:HO, HO, HO
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2005, 06:16:16 PM »

Thanks, Jrand.  Why hasn't anyone else checked it out???

They will.   ;D

www.deceittheplay.com

Someone likes RED!!!  8)

DR CILLALIZ that is SO exciting!  Good house vibes for you!  This is a great cycle in the scheme of things for buying a house...   ::)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2005, 06:20:21 PM »

I too checked it out, and I thought it was quite nifty.  I didn't mention it because I had nothing to say except that.  I did not see cast and staff photos or bios?  Did I miss a link?   I would sure like to come west and see the production.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2005, 06:25:01 PM »

The bios (some of them) are indeed up - the links are at the top of the page

Cillaliz

« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2005, 06:29:43 PM »

They will.   ;D

www.deceittheplay.com

Someone likes RED!!!  8)

DR CILLALIZ that is SO exciting!  Good house vibes for you!  This is a great cycle in the scheme of things for buying a house...   ::)

So glad to hear that. I'm really hoping things go well with one particular house. My friends all know the guy who owns it. He was here as a part of the crew restoring the Orpheum theatre and has done restoration to what I hear is the coolest house.  So it has 5 bedrooms....I'll have room for guests.

I actually have a pretty good attitude about this sort of thing. If it's supposed to happen it will happen. If it isn't the house for me another will come along.  I tend to believe everything happens when it's supposed to happen. I just wish it would be on my timeline....

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2005, 06:31:11 PM »

I visited with DRs Kerry and MusicGuy and got home during "I'm in Love With a Girl Named Fred" at 7 p.m. We thought it started at 7 p.m. After the commercial W came on and yakked for a while.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2005, 06:37:38 PM »

The bios (some of them) are indeed up - the links are at the top of the page

Thanks!  I sure missed 'em!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2005, 06:42:51 PM »

I also checked out the Deceit website earlier, but it was at a time when I was on as a "guest" since my computer didn't let me sign on to HHW at that moment.  Really excellent site.

Also checked out the El Portal site.  The Forum theater looks like a lovely jewel box of a theater from the picture on there.  (I'd only been in their larger space, never the smaller space.)

Ginny

« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2005, 06:45:31 PM »

bk, the Deceit site is very eye-catching.  Did you intentionally pick Friday the 13th as your opening night?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »

JRand, I grant you that sometimes sitting in a small group where we all knew and were rooting for various favorite personnel involved (and that doesn't happen THAT often for us) can make a difference.  I'm certainly not calling this a great filming of the show, and it had better not be the "definitive" version.  But we expected so little but found ourselves laughing, laughing some more, and laughing even more, maybe not until we couldn't laugh any more, but laugh we did - that was our experience, following the exceedingly low expectations.   One person laughing can snowball, and I wonder if this material and these performers would have been better served by a filming before a live audience.  (Didn't one of the previous Burnett versions even have a laugh track?)  

Ginny

« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2005, 06:56:16 PM »

DR Cillaliz - house-hunting vibes to you!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2005, 07:26:36 PM »

Re Friday the 13th: We were set to open on the 12th - then that stupid Billy Crystal guy, who has to rip off EVERYTHING I do (first Kritzer, then 700 Sundays), decides to open HIS show on the 12th.  Since I figured that every celeb in town would be there, we decided to open on Friday so we could get a few, too.  And being the 13th is just too much fun.

MBarnum

« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2005, 07:37:14 PM »

I checked it out earlier, when you first posted the link. I wanted to see more bios of the cast...so I will check back when those are up.

MBarnum

« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2005, 07:43:55 PM »

Looks like Digger will be staying with me for another night...his two dads are currently stranded in a parking lot otherwise known as Interstate 205. This afternoon an unexpected winter storm, consisting mostly of freezing rain, hit Salem/Portland...now all of the Sunday Christmas shoppers are trying in vain to get home. It is really horrible judging from the news reports and shots of traffic just sort of sitting on the various freeways. With all of that ice no one can get any traction.

So far, Mark and James have sat on the interstate for over 2 hours...the trip from the airport to their house in West Linn is only 15 miles!

MBarnum

« Reply #163 on: December 18, 2005, 07:45:37 PM »

I saw a smidgin of ONCE UPON A MATTRESS...I just thought it was a kids special..now I remember you guys mentioning it. I have never seen it before so I don't know if this version is good or not.

I am now watching a 1960s Hong Kong musical called THE DANCING MILLIONAIRESS.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2005, 07:48:18 PM »

[size=10]Dan and Penny
Sitting In a Tree
K  I  S  S  I  N  G...[/size]

(...but not just each other!   :o)

Happy Birthday to PennyO and DanTheMan!

Hey!  I happen to find DR PennyO kissible in the extreme!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2005, 07:52:24 PM »

! ! ! ! !  HAU' OLI LA HANAU TO MY BIRTHDAY TWIN DR PENNYO  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2005, 08:13:09 PM »

Buck Ram was co-writer of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" and wrote hits for "The Platters"

Brrrr--I'm picturing Keith Richards singing "I'll Be Home For Christmas".
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2005, 08:22:28 PM »

SHOWS THAT OPENED ON THIS DATE:

1952 The Children's Hour with Patricia Neal, Kim Hunter, Robert Pastene

I hate to think how many unknowing theatregoers attended this play back thin thinking it was holiday fare.  What were the producers thinking?
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2005, 08:28:14 PM »

I'm afraid I agreed with VARIETY about the show being a misfire. It wasn't funny, and the cast is peopled with funny people, but they aren't funny here.

I was infuriated that all of the songs not involving the Queen, Larken and Harry, Dauntless, and Fred were cut. And, of course, they reassigned "Normandy" to Harry and Larken while cutting their best song "Yesterday I Loved You" (well, it was always my favorite of their songs when I played Sir Harry).

It's not so much a disaster as it is a misfire, a wet firecracker that just doesn't go off.

I did enjoy Matthew Morrison's looks and voice, but I found Zooey Daschenel charmless and dull as Lady Larken.

No version of this show without "An OPening for a Princess," "Very Soft SHoes," "Yesterday I Loved You," and "The Minstrel, the Jester, and I" could ever be called definitive.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2005, 08:29:58 PM »

And, Hey!--thank you all for the birthday wishes!  I spent the day in my usual way--shopping and more decorating.  I had a nice brunch with two friends and had a big birthday slice of black forrest cake--yum!
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2005, 08:31:58 PM »

One thing that IS definitive is the new special edition of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. I got up to Tom Robinson's testimony and decided to call it a night, but I'll finish it tomorrow again with great pleasure. This is one of the treasures of American filmmaking.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2005, 08:32:21 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I was in Damn Yankees land while "Once Upon A Mattress" was on, so... No comment.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2005, 08:33:08 PM »

I also watched COLD CASE off the DVR when MATTRESS was finished. Good episode, but I guessed the murderer's identity this week. Some of the cases aren't as tough as others.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2005, 08:35:33 PM »

BK - As for the chat boards...  I guess my "YIKES" in my earlier post was not a good enough sign that I would most likely not be revisiting the chat boards.  And, frankly, I have enough of a problem keeping up with HHW at times, that I don't need to waste my time elsewhere on the internet.  I was just curious, that's all.  And now the proverbial cat has been killed.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2005, 08:38:18 PM »

Sorry if Hibbert is a nice guy - his "shtick" palls for me.....quickly and repeatedly.  I run from anything I see him in.

He was very funny as Gil Chesterson on FRAISER, but I can't picture him as the Wizard (I didn't watch OUAM tonight, though I did Tivo it.)
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2005, 08:43:06 PM »

DR elmore - Fax is doable.  But probably not until Tuesday - unless it's tomorrow morning...  I'll call you...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2005, 08:46:14 PM »

I did.  And I discovered that I had missed a sharp little detail in the logo the first time you posted it months ago.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: December 18, 2005, 08:50:31 PM »

I will be Richmond bound tomorrow.

I called Steve between shows just to see how he was doing, and, unfortunately, he's not doing well right now.  Besides some of the usual work-crunch for him at this time of year, his mother is in bad health right now.  He didn't sound too "optimistic" about the situation.  Steve has never been one to show his emotions, but I could tell that he's going through some "stuff" right now.  And knowing that someone you love is hurting...

I haven't seen him in a while, so it will be good to catch up with him in person.  And give him a hug.  I'll probably head down in the morning, and head back up sometime Tuesday.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #178 on: December 18, 2005, 09:00:49 PM »

I gave up chat boards on theater sites long ago. Not enough people there to talk intelligently about shows both old and new to make them worth my time.

Matt H.

« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2005, 09:05:46 PM »

Heading for bed now.

Hope everyone has a nice rest of the day.

Good night!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up