Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: HO, HO, HO  (Read 42670 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:HO, HO, HO
« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2005, 09:14:58 PM »

Well, it's been a long week, and I want to get up sort of early tomorrow since I have some errands I need to get done before heading down to Richmond...  So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #181 on: December 18, 2005, 10:31:52 PM »

Hello HHW-ers!

I just dropped by to say hello, how are you, the works.

Then I remembered that it's 1:30AM. Whoops!

Quick rundown of the past few months, oh-so-exciting, no?

School has been wonderful, this year is a breeze. Physics, AP French, Chamber Chorus, AP Government, International Relations/Post WWII History, AP Literature, and Advanced Algebra with Trig are keeping me busy, but are really just fancy terms for a whole-lotta-fun :).

College Apps are ALMOST DONE! SO CLOSE! I'm applying to Shenandoah U, James Madison, Curtis (eep!), McGill (home of DR Emily!), Christopher Newport, and Virginia Commonwealth. Possibly Oberlin, I haven't really decided.

I've been working with my wonderfully crazy voice teacher for a few hours a week for the past few months, and I have my audition program down pat. The list goes as follows:

V'adoro Pupille, Handel
Father, I beg You, Mechem
Lachen und Weinen, Schubert
Oh! quand je dors, Liszt
O liberty, thou choicest treasure, Handel

That covers basically every requirement that any colleges have, and finally today I feel completely comfortable. On Wednesday I am off to a recording studio in Vienna (Virginia, not Italy :)) where I shall be creating a CD for my McGill application. Nervous? YES. Scary stuff.

Stage managed for the fall production of Noises Off, which was a piece of cake, since the cast was so wonderfully independent and able. I pretty much sat on a stool and told the millions of extra techies to be quiet. Ah, power :).

Auditioned for All Virginia Honors Choir, which is seniors-only, and I missed the cut by THREE POINTS, which is VERY frustrating, but I was still pleased with my score. The audition for All-District Choir turned up much better results, where I placed first in the Soprano grouping with a score of 198/200.

Last week, I wrapped up a semester of Spanish that I took at a local community college. My class was highly entertaining, my professor was 100% energetic and available, and I completed the course with a 95. I'm beginning to become obsessed with learning new languages. I'm fluent in French now, and I can carry on casual conversations in Spanish and Hungarian (well, restaurant-language for the Hungarian, but still). My goal is to continue with both Spanish and Hungarian, and also pick up some Italian too. I tutor lower French students twice a week for 2 hours, and I feel it has helped tremendously in my understanding of the language.

Speaking of restaurant-speak, I am still employed at a local cafe where I serve the roles of waitress/to-go girl/cook/busgirl/kitchen help/food runner/etc. I love my job, and I love my coworkers even more. I am so lucky to have fallen into this position, and 2 years later, I wouldn't dream of leaving, as I feel it has made me a better person.

Last week I checked off another goal on my list, this time seeing one of my favorite singers, Jason Mraz, in concert. Waiting outside in DC on a windy winter day is not exactly the most pleasant experience, but our place on the floor was worth it. Here is my plug for the 930 Club, which has never ceased to offer awesome service, and quality music, along with everything else. A picture is attached, taken by my best friend Ashley. He's quite lovely.

I hope everyone is doing well! Please drop me a line at my email address, Sarah@davishome.us . I miss you all very much, but as you can see, I'm more than busy :).

Quite sincerely, Swish.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 10:38:46 PM by SwishySarah »
...Walk in the sunshine...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: December 18, 2005, 10:36:46 PM »

Nice to see the Swisher back.  Happy holidays!

Back from a GREAT dinner at Genghis Cohen.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up