Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS  (Read 53242 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS
« on: December 19, 2005, 12:05:12 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've done the mazurka with gay abandon, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently in Poland doing the mazurka.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 09:10:44 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 12:06:41 AM »

And the word of the day is: PLUMAGE!

Ginny

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 02:35:40 AM »

First time ever - I'm the first non-bk post.  It's because I'm well into the prep for this middle-age rite-of-passage called a colonoscopy.  Have to be there at 8:30EST - pray for Rosemary's baby.

Did I mention that I'm hungry?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 04:37:37 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have to run to Staples for some shipping cartons and send this pile of gifts to my famly.  After that, it's income tax.  The day is too thrilling, I tell you.

DRGinny, I hope everything goes well.  Speaking from experience, you've now been through the worst part.  

SRSwishySarah, welcome back.  It sounds like a busy year,  The first time I ever heard "V'adoro pupille" was in 1968 or 69 when Beverly Sills and City Opera brought their GIULIO CESARE to Cincinnati.  when she finished the aria, she gave the audience a look that said "can-you-do-this-better-than-I-eat-your-hearts-out" and sailed offstage in this huge 18th Century gown,  One of the great theatre moments!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 05:19:22 AM »

TOD

Without thinking.........

Madelaine Kahn
Judy Holliday
Lucille Ball (up to the 50's not the 60's onwards)
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 05:57:17 AM »

I forgot the TOD:

Judy Canova
Martha Raye, especially in MONSIEUR VERDOUX
Madeline Kahn
Margaret Dumont
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 06:54:18 AM »

Good Morning.  Well the Christmas tree is finally up I wrote a bunch more Christmas cards yesterday however I ran out of both cards and stamps so back to the stores I go today to get more.

We baked Toll Housae Chocolate chip cookies from scratch yesterday... NOW I remember why I became so enamored with those Pillsbury Refrigerated cookie dough rolls!!

Gosh whata lot of work those cookies are!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 06:55:35 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers.

TOD: Carol Burnett.

Today I shall bake cookies.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 07:01:10 AM »

time to catch up on the weekend
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 07:03:44 AM »

Today is the post office's busiest day of the year. My DH is a postal worker. He has worked ten-hour days six days a week for most of this month. I expect he'll work twelve hours today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 07:43:32 AM »

Good vibes for DR GINNY!!!

Vibes for DRLAURA's Postal Working DH!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 07:44:03 AM »

If you wore your plumage out today, it would freeze!!!  Then you would have to call the plumager.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 07:48:53 AM »

TOD is easy for me.

Lucille Ball.  Lucille Ball.  Lucille Ball.

THE FULLER BRUSH GIRL.
THE LONG LONG TRAILER

Some sharing second place:

BETTY HUTTON - Morgan's Creek, Dream Girl
JUDY CANOVA - all of her movies are pretty much alike, so no preference
MARTHA RAYE - Rhythm on the Range, Caught in the Draft

But there is NO ONE like Lucille Ball - no matter that Debra Messing & Tea Leoni both claim to be the NEW Lucille Ball.

And a higher than second place honorable mention to:

DEBBIE REYNOLDS in That Happy Feeling
KAY KENDALL in The Reluctant Debutante

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 07:53:48 AM »

DR FJL - I think you are right....I kind of wish they had just shown one of the previous versions....oh well.  And as for that stuff at the beginning about Winifred being one of the Disney Princesses, that just kind of went nowhere...I thought they might go back to that....but they didn't.

Heck, Annette Funicello should be a Disney Princess, or at least Annette as her character from BABES IN TOYLAND.....oh well.

If the show had been written as a "live" performance for an audience, it certainly would have had more of a jolt, I agree.  Chopped up for television with all the builds to the commercials really hurt it.  And I am not even mentioning the cuts we all talked about yesterday.

Oh well.  And I didn't like Hibbert on FRAISER either....LOL.  But sometimes I just don't get the performer's message....so there you are.  Some people...I know you won't believe it... but some people don't like Carroll Baker or Annette Funicello!!!

I told you that you wouldn't believe it!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 07:55:24 AM »

Good morning!

A sparkling, bright, and beautiful day here! And with winter soon to officially begin, we've got late fall temperatures again. Hooray!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 08:00:38 AM »

Yes, that introductory stuff featuring Carol and the little girl not only didn't work, but made Carol look about 600 hundred years old - very scary.

She looked better with the heavy stage make-up in the actual show, but she's actually never looked the same since the chin implant and the face lifts. Just not the Carol I grew up loving.

I didn't comment on the high definition aspect of the broadcast last night. It did look spectacularly colorful. But I agree that Kathleen Marshall is no film director. Camera often seemed to be pitched in the wrong places, particularly during production numbers, and I was so disappointed with the deleted material (and the added number for Carol that was unnecessary).

For those who have never seen MATTRESS in any incarnation, it was probably OK (kind of like A CHORUS LINE could barely pass muster if you didn't know how terrific the stage version was), but I was disappointed in the extreme. None of the three Tv productions has been satisfying to me, though I guess the 1964 version was the best.

Ginny

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 08:03:29 AM »

Back-among-the-living greetings!  DR elmore was right - the prep was 'way worse than the procedure.  Worst part of that was the nurse having trouble finding a vein for the IV - she attributed the difficulty to my "delicate, porcelain skin."

Thanks, DR JRand, for the vibes.

Now, I'm going to let my family pamper me for a while.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 08:06:56 AM »

Yes, I'd put Judy Holliday, Madeline Kahn, and Doris Day as my three top comedy actresses, at least in the movies.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 08:10:02 AM »

Debra Messing and Tea Leoni as modern-day Lucys? No way. (I've read that about Messing, but I've never believed it.)

I think Tea Leoni is one of the weakest of the A-list actresses currently working.

Jason

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 08:10:10 AM »

Mornin', all...

TOD: Carol Burnett
Madeline Kahn
Imogene Coca
Cloris Leachman
Carole Lombard
Rosalind Russell

I'm very tired today. I think I have a cold, and I'm not happy about it. And it sounds like the subway strike might actually happen, which REALLY doesn't make me happy. And, to top it all off, I came home from the holiday party last night to find that one of Santa's reindeer had pooped some really ugly Christmas decorations all over the front of my building. I really don't think anyone could have intentionally made the place look any tackier than it does right now...

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2005, 08:11:42 AM »

After I finish TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD today, I want to put in LIFE WITH JUDY GARLAND. I haven't watched it in awhile, and I'd like to experience those two superb title performances again.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 08:13:00 AM »

DR Jason, if there IS a subway strike (I'm assuming buses will be affected, too), what would you (and hundred like you) do? Taxi?

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2005, 08:14:22 AM »

I am hoping to get in a walk today, too, since the weather is so beautiful. I'm meeting a friend for lunch, and I have some last minute shopping I want to take care of, but after that, I'd like to squeeze in a walk if I can.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2005, 08:20:19 AM »

OMG - how could I forget Doris?

PILLOW TALK!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2005, 08:27:04 AM »

My favourite comic actress and maybe my favourite actress, period, is IRENE DUNNE.  Some of her comic performances:

THEODORA GOES WILD
THE AWFUL TRUTH
MY FAVORITE WIFE
PENNY SERENADE (comic and serious)

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 08:40:25 AM »

And, to top it all off, I came home from the holiday party last night to find that one of Santa's reindeer had pooped some really ugly Christmas decorations all over the front of my building. I really don't think anyone could have intentionally made the place look any tackier than it does right now...

Oh, Jason! There's nothing better than tacky Christmas decorations! You most post a photo, so that we all may laugh and laugh!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2005, 08:41:16 AM »

Today I went for a walk, but since my camera is still in the shop I can't post the photo of the tacky Christmas decorations I didn't take.

Jason

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2005, 08:41:34 AM »

DR MattH: If there is a subway strike, it would appear that I would be S.O.L. (Shit Out of Luck in internet lingo). The contingency plan requires a minimum of 4 people in any given vehicle in order to drive into the City, so taking a cab by myself is out of the question. Besides - who can afford a cab ride into and out of the City twice a day? The City would enforce a taxi fare cap, but still - $10-$20 each way is more than I can afford. There are lots of us at MTI who live in Queens, but none of us has a car and I'm certainly not walking 5 miles to work in 30-degree weather.

I guess MTI would hire a van to pick us up and drive us in...? I dunno. I DO know, though, that traffic will be OUTRAGEOUS if there are not trains going into the City, even if they DO enforce this carpooling rule.

My biggest worry is a totally selfish one. If they strike and it lasts through Thursday, how the frell am I supposed to get to the airport in Long Island so I can fly home for Christmas? I usually take the Long Island Rail Road out of Penn Station, but with no subways and the carpool rule, I couldn't get there. I guess I'll have to find a LIRR station somewhere in Queens and pray that I get the right train!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005, 08:45:15 AM »

Pray for NO Strike!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2005, 08:50:22 AM »

My biggest worry is a totally selfish one. If they strike and it lasts through Thursday, how the frell am I supposed to get to the airport in Long Island so I can fly home for Christmas? I usually take the Long Island Rail Road out of Penn Station, but with no subways and the carpool rule, I couldn't get there. I guess I'll have to find a LIRR station somewhere in Queens and pray that I get the right train!

The MTA authorities really are morons:  they claim they needed to raise fares this year, even though I believe an audit of their books said they had no economic reason to do so.  Now, suddenly for the holidays, they've dropped back fares to a dollar on "discount days" yet they refuse to raise their final offer to something their employees might be willing to settle for.  And, of course, the idiots have known the contracts were up for renewal for ages, and they're down to the wire.   Also, it's my belief the overpaid jerks who run the MTA are rich enough to never need public transportation.  May they rot in hell.

Having lived through the one in 1960, I can testify to how awful it was.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up