Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS  (Read 53269 times)

Jason

Re:COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2005, 08:50:25 AM »

DR Laura: I've already planned to set up my tripod and get a really good picture of the hideous decorations on my house. We're talking bright blue and bright purple tinsel (two strands of each) literally just tossed into the bushes, which are now totally devoid of leaves or flowers, and two light-up candy canes stuck into the ground with a couple of cut-out Santa Clauses taped to the garage door, framing the very huge pentagram they created out of tinsel and lights.  ::)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2005, 08:55:24 AM »

Good Morning!

Ah, sleep...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2005, 08:56:05 AM »

DR elmore - I'll try calling you in the next hour before I leave for Richmond to see if you still want to/can fax that music to me.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005, 08:57:29 AM »

DR Jason - I'm thinking of taking a few pics while I'm in Richmond tonight.  The local paper just updated it's "Tacky Christmas Lights" listing.  Should be fun!  I hope.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005, 08:58:47 AM »

To All the HHWer in NYC...  If the transit strike does happen, what's the latest timeline for it to start?  -In any case, I guess it's "good" that I'm not heading up there today.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 09:00:20 AM »

DR Laura: I've already planned to set up my tripod and get a really good picture of the hideous decorations on my house. We're talking bright blue and bright purple tinsel (two strands of each) literally just tossed into the bushes, which are now totally devoid of leaves or flowers, and two light-up candy canes stuck into the ground with a couple of cut-out Santa Clauses taped to the garage door, framing the very huge pentagram they created out of tinsel and lights.  ::)

Why, Jason! That sounds absolutely FESTIVE! My neighbors have an inflatable snowman and some twig reindeer that move.

I have a nativity wreath by my front door. That's it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jason

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2005, 09:00:58 AM »

Jose: I think it would start at 12:01 tomorrow morning.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2005, 09:01:21 AM »

BK, can tomorrow's topic be tacky Christmas decorations with photos encouraged? That would be such fun!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2005, 09:01:59 AM »

Oh... And the Washington Post seems to like us...

'Damn Yankees', Batting Solidly in the Mid-Fifties

Yes, there are some quibbles, but most of those seem to be with the actual material itself and not the production.  -At least that's how I'm spinning it. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2005, 09:03:23 AM »

Jose: I think it would start at 12:01 tomorrow morning.

Yikes!

So.. Would the "four people to a car" rule apply on the weekends too?  Would it be in effect next weekend?  Christmas weekend?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2005, 09:03:40 AM »

Why, Jason! That sounds absolutely FESTIVE! My neighbors have an inflatable snowman and some twig reindeer that move.

I have a nativity wreath by my front door. That's it.

Laura: Festive doesn't even begin to describe it.  ;D

My mother refused to have colored Christmas lights - EVER! They had to be white and they had to be steady-burning...no blinking. That rule still applies and I guess it's engrained in my personal taste now because the sight of our house last night just made me want to vomit on the ground. I couldn't get the keys in the door fast enough to get inside lest I be seen amid the tackiness.

There will be pictures. Oh, yes - there will be LOADS of pictures.  ;)

Jason

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2005, 09:04:26 AM »

Yikes!

So.. Would the "four people to a car" rule apply on the weekends too?  Would it be in effect next weekend?  Christmas weekend?

That rule would apply as long as the strike is in effect. At least that's how I understand it...

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2005, 09:04:51 AM »

TOD:

Wow, there are so many but here are a few that I enjoy:

Joan Blondell
Penny Singleton
Edna Mae Oliver
Margaret Dumont
Lucille Ball
Carol Burnett
Glenda Farrell
Ann Sothern
Spring Byington
Betty Kean
Zasu Pitts

I know more will come to mind as the day goes on.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2005, 09:07:09 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Madeleine Kahn
*Heck, I'd even throw in Barbra Streisand for her performance in "What's Up Doc?"
Joan Cusack
Kathy Najimy
Lucille Ball
Mary Tyler Moore - at least on the small screen
Carol Burnett - again, at least on the small screen

...And that's all I can think of, muster, right now.

-And, boy, was the list soooo off the top of my head, and sooo random.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2005, 09:08:20 AM »

Well, time for me to get some cleaning done before heading down to Richmond...  But I'll check in before hitting the road...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2005, 09:11:21 AM »

Ohh...

Alas, no "good news" when I stepped on the scale this morning.  However, no news is good news since I did not put on any weight over the past week.  -And with the Opening Night party and some Christmas chocolate... Whew!  However, I'm guessing I more than likely lost two pounds of fat, but put on two pounds of muscle.  Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;)

*But my pants and shirts are fitting better... And I'm looking better in them, so that does have to count for something.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2005, 09:11:52 AM »

DR Ginny - Enjoy your day of pampering.

Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2005, 09:14:55 AM »

To All the HHWer in NYC...  If the transit strike does happen, what's the latest timeline for it to start?  -In any case, I guess it's "good" that I'm not heading up there today.

:-\

Midnight.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2005, 09:17:13 AM »

Baking day today... Madelines, Caramel Corn, Marshmellows, Martha's Lime Meltaways and Surprise cookies, and meranges (or something spelled similar to that) , will be checking in

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2005, 09:17:44 AM »

I carried a huge carton into Fed Ex expecting a huge line.  I went right to a window, wrote a check, and was out in 10 minutes!  If only the MTA negotiations went so well today!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2005, 09:20:41 AM »

These unions, both sides, always wait until the final moment.  That is, sadly, their "thing" - whether it's show business or transportation or anything else.  Their biggest bargaining chip is fear - fear that their actions will cause grief to the other side.  In the case of this particular strike, the MTA feel that if there's a strike the public will hate the workers, and the workers feel that if there's a strike the public will hate the MTA.  The public will, of course, hate them all and with good reason, although the people to really hate are the negotiators for both sides.  They are usually made up of adults behaving like grammar school children.  All that said, I do not think they will allow the strike - I think they'll take it to the eleventh hour and settle or postpone until after New Year's.

FJL

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2005, 09:20:56 AM »

I thought the 4 to a car rule for entering Manhattan at certain points only applied between 5 a.m. and 11 a.m.  Am I wrong about that?

FJL

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2005, 09:25:25 AM »

The part of the negotiations I can't really get past is the union requesting retirement benefits vesting at age 50.  I'm sure it's a negotiating position, and the MTA's negotiating position is age 62.  But it makes the union look unrealistic to use age 50 as a negotiating position, while the MTA's negotiating position of 62 is making people we know (especilaly actors and theater people) say "that doesn't sound that unreasonable."

Jason

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2005, 09:32:14 AM »

Maybe the 4-to-a-car rule is only during rush hours...? I dunno. Either way, it's a pain in the @$$.

BK: I hope you're right - they'll negociate until the last minute and get everything squared away. However, it doesn't look good. There's one sector of the MTA bus lines in Queens that does not fall under the Taylor law, which legally forbids a strike of public workers. That sector is on strike starting today. I have a feeling the rest of them are quite serious about striking...

And I don't think 62 is unreasonable at all...

FJL

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2005, 09:43:24 AM »

I'm paraphrasing , but just saw that the leader of one of the unions invoked Rosa Parks as an example of the idea that just because something is illegal (the head of the union analogizing to the possible strike) doesn't mean it's not right and necessary.   He said this mentioning that the MTA had just honored Rosa Parks a few weeks ago by leaving a seat empty on every bus on Dec. 1.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2005, 09:58:15 AM »

I had three emty seats in my car on December 1 - didn't realize I was honoring anybody.  Whew!  I should pay attention.

Maybe on April 15  - the empty seats could honor the people left on the Titanic after all the lifeboats had been launched!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2005, 10:02:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: PLUMAGE!
Plum age can be easily detected by the wrinkles.

(I work in a grocery store, I know these things.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jason

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2005, 10:03:11 AM »

On another, more frightening note - A friend of mine gave me a couple of clips from the 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special as a Christmas gift. You haven't lived until you've seen Bea Arthur singing to Star Wars aliens or heard Carrie Fisher singing to a bunch of Wookies. What were they THINKING?!?!

Does anyone have any memory of this special airing??

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2005, 10:03:17 AM »

I know it looks bad - they want it to look bad.  They want it to be SCARY.  They're good at it.  Not just them - the musician's union, the writer's guild, whoever.  I'm predicting a settlement or postponment in the eleventh hour - because IF they strike during Christmas week the public will have their heads and the hatred aimed at them will be unrelenting.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2005, 10:04:04 AM »

I suppose I shall now be on my way to work with Miss Linda Purl, after which I shall return.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up