Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HAB GUBMUH  (Read 57089 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:HAB GUBMUH
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2005, 01:19:56 PM »

I can't believe I left out Judy Garland's rendition of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." Add it to my list.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2005, 01:20:54 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 6 Dance!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2005, 01:21:57 PM »

Got the packages wrapped for the folks I'll be seeing tomorrow night, but I'll save the wrapping for the Thursday night crowd for Wednesday afternoon.

Cillaliz

« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2005, 01:26:03 PM »

Thanks for the good vibes, I better get back to work for a little while today

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2005, 01:27:47 PM »

I just introduced our electrician to Jo Stafford.  He is now a fan.  I wish Amazon had sent her Christmas CD-guess I will have to wait until next year.

My favorite Christmas CD is Nat King Cole.  I would like Perry Como & Bing Crosby Christmas CD’s.  I’m sure they must exist.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2005, 01:28:09 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from Fairfax...

The drive back up from Richmond was, alas, "eventful" this time.  An accident caused some major back-ups on 95, and then there were just a LOT of people on the road today.  A lot!  The trip usually takes me just under two hours, and today it took me two and a half.  Not too bad... It could have been - and has - been worse.  -Counting my blessings.

Before leaving Richmond, I made yet one more trip to Ukrop's - all their baking supplies are on sale this week, so...  And since the prices in Richmond are a bit cheaper than they are in the DC area, well..  -Gentlemen, preheat your ovens!

And I also made a stop at Trader Joe's once I got back up to Fairfax to pick up some eggs, almonds, yogurts, etc.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #156 on: December 20, 2005, 01:28:46 PM »

For the song part of the TOD:

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS INSTEAD OF SHEEP by Rosemary Clooney

SNOWFALL by Claude Thornhill and his orchestra

MBarnum

« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2005, 01:29:59 PM »

The house sounds great Cillaliz! Good buying vibes!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2005, 01:31:18 PM »

DR Matthew - As for your Italian Meringue...  Making an Italian Meringue is always sort of scary for me - since it is sort of a scary process: pouring hot sugar syrup into beaten egg whites.  Thankfully, my Kitchen Aid stand mixer has made the process a little easier, but there's still that "problem" of making sure all the sugar syrup ends up in the mixing bowl, and not all over the mixer itself and the counter.  So, sometimes, I still make it the "old-fashioned" way and do everything in a bowl with a hand-held mixer.

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2005, 01:48:27 PM »

I just introduced our electrician to Jo Stafford.  He is now a fan.  I wish Amazon had sent her Christmas CD-guess I will have to wait until next year.

My favorite Christmas CD is Nat King Cole.  I would like Perry Como & Bing Crosby Christmas CD’s.  I’m sure they must exist.

Bing has a couple; I was listening to one of them this afternoon: CHRISTMAS WITH BING.

Perry has a very famous one that is very enjoyable. I played it all last week.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2005, 01:48:43 PM »

I can't remember which book or magazine I read it in, but one part of the success of an Italian meringue could be what kind of bowl you beat them in, and the temp in your kitchen.  Yes, metal bowls are standard, but if you have a cold kitchen - like I did in Richmond - a glass bowl is better for the final process since it doesn't chill as fast as metal bowls do.  Plus, they hold and release the heat slower - which is a plus when making Italian meringues.  You don't want to 'shock' the hot sugar syrup since by doing so, you run the risk of the syrup seizing and forming sugar crystals, and once that happens, it's very hard to get the meringue to peak properly.  However, even if that does happen, all is not lost.  *More to follow on that.

One easy fix to a cold kitchen is to soak a kitchen towel in hot water, wring it out, then wrap that around the bowl.  This is also a handy-dandy way to keep melted chocolate melted.

Of course, there are the usual precautions:
Were you bowls and beaters spotless?  No trace of oil?  -Stay away from plastic bowls and spatulas since they attract and hold oils - since plastic is actually a petroleum product.

Were your egg whites at room temp?  This is actually not a total necessity, but it does affect the final "whip".  However, they should never be fresh-from-the-fridge-cold.  I usually break them into a measuring cup, cover it with plastic wrap, and let them sit on the counter for a bit.  Otherwise, I make sure to take my eggs out of the fridge about 30 minutes before I start, or I put the cold eggs into a bowl of very warm water to take the chill off of them.

Were you sure that all the sugar in your sugar syrup had dissolved?  Just like in candy making, any remaining sugar crystals can adversely affect the final results.  Keep a clean pastry brush - natural bristles only, please! - and a small cup of warm water by the stove to wipe down the sides of the pan just in case crystals start to form on the sides.

*I've found that an Italian meringue really never peaks as much as a standard meringue.  Yes, you can achieve stiff peaks, but they will still droop a bit.  The best use I've found for "faulty" Italian meringues is to add some chocolate chips to the mix, then drop them by tablespoons on cookies sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.  Place in a very slow oven - about 250 degrees - and let them bake/dry out until they are crisp.  Once they are done, just turn the oven off, and leave the over door open just a bit while the oven and the meringues cool off.  -This last step insure they dry out properly.  And, of course, be sure to store them in air tight container.

Hope this helps.  :)

*I believe DR Jennifer had a meringue problem too a couple of months ago... or more than a couple of months ago.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2005, 01:50:48 PM »

So, instead of the chocolate meringue cookies, I have two other thoughts... Chocolate-Black Pepper Cookies, or Chocolate Orange EspressonThins.  These are all out of Martha's Holiday Cookie magazine

I'd go for the Chocolate-Black Pepper Cookies.  The Chocolate Orange Espresso Thins are good too, but they do require a bit extra rolling pin time.  And the Chocolate-Black Pepper Cookies are one of those cookies that bring "happy question marks" to people's faces when they try them.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2005, 01:52:38 PM »

So must catching up to do:

TOTD:

O Holy Night - Linda Eder
                       Michael Ball
                       Bobby Vinton

Christmas Countdown: Frank Kelly

Last Christmas :  Wham

Silent night - Enya
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2005, 01:54:48 PM »

Oh... You made a Swiss Meringue... Same as an Italian meringue in most circles.  Although, if I'm remembering correctly, in a Swiss meringue you continue beating the egg whites while still over a heat (double boiler set-up), while an Italian meringue calls for beating the hot sugar syrup into the beaten egg whites - the heat from the sugar syrup cooking the egg whites - then continue beating until the mixture has cooled off..  -Have you ever made Seven Minute Frosting?  Same thing.  *And I have yet to make Seven Minute Frosting in seven minutes.

*My cookbooks are up in New York City right now, so I can't consult anything "off the shelf" right now.  Of course, I could always Google, but I think that's enough egg white talk for today.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: December 20, 2005, 01:55:51 PM »

And as for the Transit Strike...  Some of the Damn Yankees cast members went home after Sunday night's show.  Let's hope they all make made it out of the city on time.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 01:59:37 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2005, 01:58:37 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Good House Hunting Vibes!

*I truly admire anyone who can undertake such a process: buying a house.  I've been a renter all my life, and the whole concept of "buying a house" is just something that my brain cannot wrap itself around.  Points - ?? Mortgage - ?? Loans - ??  Just does not compute right now for me.  When it comes time for me to buy a house, I just envision paying for the whole thing all at once.  "Here's my offer.  Here's my check."  -Yes, I'm being that optimistic!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: December 20, 2005, 02:02:28 PM »

So...

And I'm not sure I've ever admitted this here on HHW... But...

I have to say, I've never gotten into "It's Wonderful Life".  Yes, there are some wonderful moments in the movie for me, but, all in all, I find it a hard movie to sit through.  It gets kind of boring for me.

:-\

Any other DR willing to fess up to this opinion too?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: December 20, 2005, 02:03:17 PM »

Now, as for "A Christmas Story", I watch it at least once if not twice each year.  -Sometimes, not even during the Christmas season.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: December 20, 2005, 02:04:31 PM »

It IS nerve-wracking buying a house, and the paperwork is monstrous. A friend who just bought a condo (the third residence he's bought in his life) told me the paperwork has increased with each place he's bought.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: December 20, 2005, 02:04:32 PM »

So... If the transit workers get back to work, just how will the fines for going on strike be collected?  Enforced?

*And I'm just wondering why Mayor Bloomberg just hasn't reached into his pocket and grabbed some loose change to pay the striking workers what they want.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: December 20, 2005, 02:05:10 PM »

OK - I cooked some chicken breasts earlier... Time for dinner...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2005, 02:05:39 PM »

Now, as for "A Christmas Story", I watch it at least once if not twice each year.  -Sometimes, not even during the Christmas season.

I do this, too, DR Jose. It's a feel good movie for any time of year.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #172 on: December 20, 2005, 02:06:52 PM »

It is a good think I enjoy IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE as Keith never tires of watching it.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: December 20, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »

I think I'll get an early start on today's cleaning chore - the living room.

WBBL.

Jed

« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2005, 02:08:01 PM »

So...

And I'm not sure I've ever admitted this here on HHW... But...

I have to say, I've never gotten into "It's Wonderful Life".  Yes, there are some wonderful moments in the movie for me, but, all in all, I find it a hard movie to sit through.  It gets kind of boring for me.

:-\

Any other DR willing to fess up to this opinion too?

;)

Me too, Jose.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2005, 02:09:10 PM »

One of the cable stations does a 24 hour Christmas Story Marathon starting Christmas Eve.  Vixdad and I usually have this on while we are waiting for Santa to complete his tasks after the Vixter goes to bed

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jed

« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2005, 02:10:48 PM »

One of the cable stations does a 24 hour Christmas Story Marathon starting Christmas Eve.  Vixdad and I usually have this on while we are waiting for Santa to complete his tasks after the Vixter goes to bed

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

Makes a great background to stocking stuffing at my house, too.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2005, 02:11:11 PM »

The Manhattan bitch-slapping has begun:  a judge has held the transit workers' strike in contempt and is fining the union $1,000,000/day they are on strike.  The rumor is they only have $3.6 million in their coffers.  The union president Toussaint seems like an arrogant boob claiming the transit authority's superiors are impossible and need to be put in their place.  Oy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2005, 02:11:28 PM »

It IS nerve-wracking buying a house, and the paperwork is monstrous. A friend who just bought a condo (the third residence he's bought in his life) told me the paperwork has increased with each place he's bought.

You think the paperwork is bad when you're buying the place... trying being the paralegal putting all those papers together !

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2005, 02:13:58 PM »

The kids have given Betsy and me an early "present" by infecting us with the colds they had last week.  Yuck!  I have laryngitis, which virtually never happens to me and makes my singing gigs this week a bit of a challenge!   ;D

Song TOD:  well, TomofOz probably can guess this one, but the Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 version of "Christmas Song" is yummilicious, with a gorgeous Richard Hazard orchestration.  It was available only on a special B.F. Goodrich LP that you had to get at the tire store (stop laughing), featuring all A&M artists, and entitled "Something Festive!"  (Sergio just redid the same song on a Target holiday sampler CD, but I'm sad to say it has little of the magic of his first version).

Film TOD:  Scrooge, of course, which my sis took me to see in Seattle when I was a kid.  I still remember it was snowing tons when we came out and ran to the car.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up