Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DIABOLICAL GLEE  (Read 52502 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DIABOLICAL GLEE
« on: December 21, 2005, 12:06:49 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've read them with glee, and now it is time for you to post until the diabolical cows come home - they're still pondering the word glee, which is cownfounding them no end.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 12:09:02 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DIABOLICAL GLEE
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 12:08:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: CLAVICLE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 12:15:56 AM »

Last Christmas I was given a book by DP's stepmother.  A book by a writer whose work I detest! I was obviously too tired and to slow to find an appropriate facial expression to mask my feelings!! The fact that the generous and really kind lady had written in the book and thus making it impossible to exchange did not help!  

Said writer is Ex-South African Bryce Courtney - writer of "The Power Of One".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 12:18:55 AM »

I think Bach wrote music for the well tempered Clavicle.
It may have been during his "switched-on" period.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 07:56:20 AM »

Three posts?

THREE POSTS?

It's nearly 11 a.m. EST, for goodness' sake!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 07:57:25 AM »

It's a beautiful Wednesday here in Johnston SC.

It's a tad cold.

My mom has baked a couple of pecan pies.  I spent a while applying insulation strips around her attic door.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 07:59:26 AM »

I had some problems getting into HHW this morning, but now I am HERE!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 07:59:44 AM »

The site has been off-line all morning. It took me over an hour to finally make a connection.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 07:59:51 AM »

I've never had a jaw-droppingly lame Christmas present, so far as I can recall.

I have had my share, though, of presents thrust upon me because someone felt he or she had to give me something.  That's why I have any number of Christmas mugs, and an iron nutcracker (not the soldier kind, either).  And I have an assortment of butt-ugly ornaments people have presented to me as though they were crown jewels.

I've graciously accepted every one of them, and for some reason cannot bring myself to throw them away.

Sigh.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 07:59:52 AM »

Hmmm....lamest Christmas prezzie?

Probably socks - although I know DR RLP loves socks.

Matt H.

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 08:00:53 AM »

At any rate, good morning!

Beautiful day here - chilly temperatures but cloudless blue sky. "Gawgus," as they say around here.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 08:01:58 AM »

4 posts?? That's all??

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 08:02:36 AM »

Hmmm....lamest Christmas prezzie?

Probably socks - although I know DR RLP loves socks.

I prefer picking out my OWN socks...:D

Same with shirts, shoes, belts, underwear and colognes.

My mother is the only one who can find shirts that please me.

Most folks I know pick out things "they'd" wear.  And I keep imagining what it might be like to pick out clothes for them that they "should" wear.

But I know better...they won't wear anything flattering (IMO), and cannot imagine why what they'd wear wouldn't suit me.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 08:03:27 AM »

The one gift I was truly surprised at receiving was a turkey/chicken rotisserie unit. The person who gave it to me was barely making ends meet financially, and I wasn't expecting anything from him. All of a sudden, I unwrap this huge thing and was amazed.

BTW, I've used it once in all the years I've had it. It is a bear to clean.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 08:04:46 AM »

DR MATTH - RE:My Life With Judy Garland

I think I wrote when I got the DVD - a friend of mine who is a friend of Thea Gill (she played the blonde Lesbian on QUEER AS FOLK) - told me that Thea had signed on to play Lucille Bremer in the "Meet Me In St Louis" sequence of said project.  They were shooting her only scene, the mirror scene - and the SAME thing that happened to the real Lucille happened to Thea.  Judy Davis complained loudly that Thea was getting in her way and getting between her and the mirror....it was quite the contretemps....and in fact...you guessed it, got cut from the film.  I was hoping we would see that in the Deleted scenes, but we got nothing that interesting.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 08:05:39 AM »

I stopped at a Select Comfort store the other day while my mom, my aunt and cousin and I were at a mall in Greenville SC.

I was tested for my "sleep number" and was VERY impressed with the way the bed felt after my number was selected.

I'm a "55"...which was odd for the tester, because I told her I was a side sleeper and she told me most side sleepers are "35s" or lower.  

I'll probably test a couple of other beds before I make a purchase, but I'm read for a new bed and the Select Comfort tickles my fancy.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 08:06:33 AM »

I will be having a very light snack at midday today since I'm invited to a big dinner celebration tonight. Gifts will be exchanged, and I have no clue when I'll be home. Unless it's super late, I should be able to log back on tonight as usual.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 08:07:34 AM »

That's it for now.  I may come back later this evening.

Have a good day, all.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 08:08:41 AM »

DR MATTH - RE:My Life With Judy Garland

I think I wrote when I got the DVD - a friend of mine who is a friend of Thea Gill (she played the blonde Lesbian on QUEER AS FOLK) - told me that Thea had signed on to play Lucille Bremer in the "Meet Me In St Louis" sequence of said project.  They were shooting her only scene, the mirror scene - and the SAME thing that happened to the real Lucille happened to Thea.  Judy Davis complained loudly that Thea was getting in her way and getting between her and the mirror....it was quite the contretemps....and in fact...you guessed it, got cut from the film.  I was hoping we would see that in the Deleted scenes, but we got nothing that interesting.

I saw her name in the credits and couldn't remember seeing her at all. Thanks for the info.

The only deleted scene was the "Judy at the Palace Medley introduction."

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 08:09:52 AM »

And speaking of that, the actor who played Mark Herron was simply amazing-looking. I'm sure I've seen him guest-star on other shows, but he was really a knockout.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 08:12:55 AM »

I still have a couple of MURDER SHE WROTE episodes on the third disc to watch, and then I may put in WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, another Fox noir.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 08:15:31 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've been trying to get online since 8 am this morning.  DRGinny wrote me and asked if it was her computer or the site.  I blamed the site, but I've been having computer behavior problems all week, so what did I know?

Another IRS day.  UGH.

TOD:  I've repressed the worst gifts.  And now that I'm senile, I don't remember the good ones either.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 08:21:32 AM »

I'm at work today. I've been here for three hours. I was lucky - the traffic wasn't as bad as we thought it'd be. One of the girls in accounting, though, got here around 8:45. She left her house in Brooklyn at 6 am and walked over 6 miles in 20 degree weather to get here. Totally ridiculous...

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 08:24:58 AM »

Is there any end in sight to the NYC strike? That $1 million a day fine should get some people moving, but it seems to have only made them more resolute to resist.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 08:47:46 AM »

Worst gifts?  Hmmm there was that bright yellow housecoat (you know, the kind your grandmother would wear in 1955) with large purple flowers all over it that my mother gave to me a couple of years ago.... I couldn't figure out if it was a joke gift or a real one so I gazed at it with a stupified kind of grin on my face  until she said "I thought it was sooooo pretty, you could wear it when you go on your trip to Canada!" then I realized it was  a real gift so I thanked her with great enthusiasm... (thank GOD for all those years of improv classes!)

Then last year Mom bought me a terrible drab brown cotten skirt  with huge beige flowers all over it ... apparently Mom thinks now that I am in my late 40's I should be dressing as if it were the 1940's.. and as if I were 85 years old!!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jason

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 08:47:53 AM »

The president of the local TWU said yesterday that the strike COULD be resolved by tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. If the strike continues through Friday, it is estimated that NYC will have lost $1.6 billion in revenue...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 08:48:07 AM »

I don't think I ever got a truly lame present, though I do remember my Aunts would invariably give me sweaters for Christmas when I was growing up, which used to drive me crazy.  And I do remember one year when I got this HUUUUGGE package from my disgustingly rich NYC Uncle and I had fantasies of various cool things it could be.  It turned out to be a basketball hoop for above the garage.  I was underwhelmed.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jason

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 09:02:40 AM »

I, personally, cannot think of any lame gifts, but I will share a story that my mother tells every holiday season (she still takes issue with it): When my mom was a pre-teen, she and all her cousins would spend the night together on Christmas Eve and wake up really, really early to see what Santa had brought them. They'd sneak all the presents into the bathroom, close the door and play with the toys and then put them back under the tree until the parents woke up. One year, my mom woke up to find a beatiful new bicycle under the tree - just like the one she asked for. So she took it into the bathroom and sat atop it, admiring the shiny handles and testing out the hand brakes. She rode it back out into the living room to put it back where she'd gotten it when the lights suddenly came up and she heard my grandmother ask, "What are you doing on Ginger's bicycle? That's not yours...Santa brought you that set of luggage!"

Thirty-five years later, she still bitches about that ugly luggage and my grandmother still says, "Yes, but you still have it! Where's Ginger's bike...??"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2005, 09:06:27 AM »

Where IS Ginger's bike?  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2005, 09:07:04 AM »

DR VIXMOM - those lovely clothes would make perfect donations to your local theatre group.  They are always looking for stuff like that.  At least, as a costumer, I know I am.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up