Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: EVERYBODY SAYS DO  (Read 57411 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EVERYBODY SAYS DO
« on: December 24, 2005, 12:04:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're ready to attend the Do, whether in person or online, and now it is time for you to post until the Christmas Cows come home.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 12:17:16 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:EVERYBODY SAYS DO
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 12:05:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: CALUMNY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 12:38:15 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS!  It's amazing when there are six GUESTS and no hainsies/kimlets (save for George, who is just sitting there like so much fish).  Our GUESTS are not WUSSBURGERS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 12:38:43 AM »

I've had my popcorn - do I really want to be bad and have a chocolate donut.  Why, I think the answer is yes.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 02:49:50 AM »

Christmas Eve for my family was spent at the home of my godparents with their parents and their children. A comfortable memory for me - thoughts of traditional English Christmas fare: fruit cake, fruit mince tarts and shortbread.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 04:29:15 AM »

Hello to all my friends!!!  ;D

I'm in an Internet cafe in Dublin. It's around 12:30 in the afternoon, 7:30am in New York. This is the first time I've had to check the e-mail, etc. We are having a wonderful time. Too much to tell in a quick check in.

Hello Dear Tom, it's already Christmas there isn't it?

Jane, we haven't been to Thornton's yet. We will try to get there today but if not then we will get there next Thursday or Friday. Most everything is closed early today and all day tomorrow and many things are closed for St. Stephen's Day AKA Boxing Day. We leave for Cardiff on Tuesday and will be there for two days, returning to Dublin late Thursday morning. We then have only Thursday and Friday here in Dublin.

It's been a great trip so far with wonderful experiences. I will tell more when we return to New York. I won't be around tomorrow. We are having Christmas lunch at 2:15pm at the North Star Hotel. Very festive.

Happy Christmas to all. Hugs and Kisses.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 06:11:55 AM »

Good morning, all!  DR BEn, what a lovely surprise!  I'm running off to the recording office to pick up some Toyland scores, then the pharmacy, which I forgot to do yesterday during my IRS angst.  I plan to have a quiet day, maybe watch wHITE CHRISTMAS and a few other hol;iday films.

My Christmas Eve memories are vague.  As a child, I was more concerned with Christmas morning and all the loot, although I have memories of some wonderful Christmas Eve dinners out with my family.  I suspect it was my father paying my mother back for having to cook a huge meal on the next day.  I also remember more clearly the family get-together the weekend before Christmas with all my mother's family, which was filled with good cheer and aunts and uncles and a grandmother I miss enormously to this day.

Happy holidays to all of you!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 06:33:36 AM »

Happy Holidays the day before!!
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 06:41:06 AM »

Isn't a calumny someone who graduated from UC Berkeley?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 06:45:23 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers.

My most memorable Christmas Eve was when I went to BK's Holiday Do a few years ago. It was great fun.

Today I must pick up some pointy party hats and party balloons for tomorrow. And a quick trip in to the grocery store. I am attempting a dinner tomorrow that is way past my culinary skills. If I fail, we'll have Cheerios for dinner.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 06:48:19 AM »

Things have been hopping at the store.  No, we don't have a special on frog's legs.  It's just an expression to say that we've been very, very, very busy.

Yes, that's three verys.  We've been that busy.

We'll be open until seven tonight, but we'll be closed on Christmas Day.  Checking with our store manager, Carol, we can expect New Year's to be even busier.  For Christmas, lots of Rehoboth-ians visit their families elsewhere.  New Year's itself, the opposite occurs, with people coming into town to party.  This skews differently from the other stores in the chain; I guess the people who shop at our other venues will all be coming here!  (Should be quite crowded.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 06:52:46 AM »

I have our annual country ham (new tradition, second year we've done this) soaking in a cooler in the sink, hopefully leaching out some of the salt.  I'll be cooking it when I get home tonight.

I have no idea what we'll be having for dinner tonight, however, since the country ham is for sharing with der Brucer's family.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 06:54:57 AM »

...I am attempting a dinner tomorrow that is way past my culinary skills....
What are you serving for dinner, DRLaura?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 06:55:33 AM »

I remember your telling about the ham last year, SWoody. Sounds like a lot of work, but very delicious!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 06:56:19 AM »

I am trying prime rib twice-baked potatoes, corn casserole (for DR Sandra) and two-layer pumpkin pie. This would be easy for you, but I am a really bad cook.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 06:57:20 AM by DearReaderLaura »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 06:59:00 AM »

At Thanksgiving, I had everything timed out and we went for our annual Thanksgiving Day Drive. When we got home, I discovered the turkey timer had popped out about an hour early, so I was completely thrown off in getting things on the table.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2005, 07:12:35 AM »

Turkey timers (the spring-loaded ones stuck in the bird) are highly unreliable.  You're far better off getting an instant-read thermometer.  They're inexpensive, and give an accurate idea of the meat's temperature.  Just don't poke it in so that the probe touches any bones: that'll throw your reading way off.  And remember: the meat will continue to cook after you take it out of the oven.  Once you've reached your target temperature, take the meat out and tent it with foil, and let it rest for at least fifteen minutes.  That way, the juices will restabilize throughout the roast, and the whole roast will be moist and delicious.

If you like horseradish, make sure you pick up some while you're at the market!  And smile and laugh with the cashier, if you can!  They like friendly customers.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 07:18:11 AM »

Thanks, SWoody. I hope it turns out. I decided to splurge on prime rib this year, since we have really cut way way back on the presents and things.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 07:18:29 AM by DearReaderLaura »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2005, 07:20:44 AM »

Happy Christmas Eve/Pleasant Saturday (whichever is applicable) to every one/each of you.

If the holly hasn't been hauled out, it's definitely not too late...but it's getting there.

My mom is roasting a turkey breast in the oven and has a roast in the crock pot.  We are going to buy some fresh chickens in a short while for a fried chicken feast Monday evening.

Nobody fries chicken like my mom!

At least, that's my story and I've stuck to it for decades!

I know I can't duplicate it, no matter how much I try.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2005, 07:25:41 AM »

I have no "most memorable" memories of Christmas Eve.  I've certainly had some fine ones, but I've also had some that sucked.

My memory doesn't dwell on the latter, although I can tell you that one fine Christmas Eve, when I was assigned to a radio station in northern Italy in 1973, I was informed that I was not only working a double shift that day, but that I was working another on Christmas Day.  After all, I was told, I was a single man and most the rest of the staff was married...and some even had children (though only two out of eight).  I would get, I was told, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

I said I understood, but the fact was that I was supposed to have Christmas Day off and both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day because of the rotation we worked.  As it turned out, I got the brunt of the holiday hours along with two other single folks.  And that included having to work New Year's Eve, as well.

I nipped that crap in the bud in the next year...I learned I was pulling 48-hour work weeks while some on the staff barely pulled 30 hours.

I delivered an ultimatum, I took instant leave without their consent (although the station manager approved it) and when I returned, I found things much-improved and a lot more fair.

And it all linked back to a rather dismal Christmas Eve.

Now...aren't you sorry BK asked???!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 07:29:46 AM »

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, DR RLP.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2005, 07:30:57 AM »

Yes, TOMovOZ, I agree that TO RUSSIA WITH LOVE is one of the BEST if not THE best of the Connery Bonds.  

I did realize last night that I also like YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - that's a nice title tune crooned by Nancy Sinatra, and the Japanese locations and actors are great!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 07:31:16 AM »

Calumny - isnt' that baking powder?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 07:31:43 AM »

I shall be thinking about the famous BK Christmas Eve Spaghetti Supper this evening when I take my own spaghetti sauce to my cousin's house for our first ever Christmas Eve spaghetti supper.

It won't be the festive doings at BK's...but it will be fun, nontheless.  I can guarantee that there will be no singing by other than C/W or gospel singers...and that I shall probably very nearly kill myself after the third playing of "Mary, Did You Know?"...and that only Fox News will be airing on the television set which remains on, albeit mostly muted, the entire evening.

Did anyone knew that in the south, Fox News is considered the ONLY valid source of news of the outside world?

My holiday wish:  That Ann Coulter find someone who can actually love her and inspire her to love in return.  Otherwise, she will remain one cold, deluded, egocentric bitch.

Pardon mine opinion!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 07:32:25 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2005, 07:32:16 AM »

Not a lot of memories of Christmas Eve, although I remember seeing on television that people hung their stockings by the fireplace, and we didn't have a fireplace.  I was about 4, so I suggested we hang our stockings on the knobs on the television set - which worked JUST as well!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2005, 07:33:27 AM »

Off to the lovely WORLD OF WISDOM.  I hope we have LOTS OF CUSTOMERS.  We close at 6 pm so I should be here for the LIVE postings from Mr BK's Christmas Do!!!

Glad to hear the actor took the notes to heart and is trying.  Fingers crossed.  Is the cast coming to the do?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2005, 07:35:35 AM »

Enjoy your days off DR JOSE.  I just realized that working on a Broadway show is a lot like being a vampire....you sleep all day and walk around all night.

LESTAT!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2005, 07:36:35 AM »

Back after a day in Retail!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2005, 07:36:51 AM »

Is the opposite of a high colonic a low calumny?

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2005, 07:37:26 AM »

You know, it has been eons since I have watched a Sean Connery James Bond movie!

I think all of my Christmas Eves have been pleasant ones...but none stand out in my mind, at least not this early in the morning.

Today, rather then tomorrow, will be my Christmas celebration. I will hie myself to Aumsville (as that is now where my sister/brother-in-law and my neice/husband all have moved to...they live across the street from each other) and we shall have our celebration!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up