Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: EVERYBODY SAYS DO  (Read 57416 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:EVERYBODY SAYS DO
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2005, 07:38:03 AM »

Enjoy your days off DR JOSE.  I just realized that working on a Broadway show is a lot like being a vampire....you sleep all day and walk around all night.

LESTAT!!

I shall be seeing "Lestat" one week from today at San Francisco's Curran Theater!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2005, 08:12:27 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful day and another with highs getting near 60. COuldn't be more beautiful.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2005, 08:14:58 AM »

I have no specific memories of any memorable Christmas Eves. My first partner and I were at a Christmas party when we danced together and found there was a spark there, but it was several days before Christmas Eve, and we didn't spend CHristmas together that year because each of us had family obligations. But that night in 1982 is probably the most memorable Christmas season of my adult life.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2005, 08:16:22 AM »

My favorite Sean Connery Bond is GOLDFINGER followed by DR. NO. I think I like the latter because it wasn't top heavy with gadgets and special effects, but FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is certainly an entertaining spy yarn. I may watch it today since it's been some time since I've seen it.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2005, 08:17:25 AM »

But number uno on the to-watch list today is CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT. I've had it for many weeks and have just been putting off watching it.

Tomorrow will probably be WHITE CHRISTMAS and maybe IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2005, 08:18:12 AM »

Got that kitchen floor mopped earlier this morning, too, so glad to have that little chore behind me as well.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2005, 08:19:36 AM »

Not expecting any packages or anything today in the mail, so I'll have to make do until Tuesday with whatever DVDs and video media I already have at hand. Kind friends certainly provided me with many new DVDs that I can watch over this long holiday weekend.

Kerry

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2005, 08:37:03 AM »

Merry Christmas Eve!!!

I hope you've all been good; Santa comes to town.  Santa doesn't even care what religion anyone is, or what is politically correct; he just wants the world to be happy.

We can all have a Merry Christmas; we can all have a Happy Hanukah; we can all have a wonderful Kwanza;  we all had a lovely solstice.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2005, 09:12:47 AM »

My holiday wish:  That Ann Coulter find someone who can actually love her and inspire her to love in return.  Otherwise, she will remain one cold, deluded, egocentric bitch.

Pardon mine opinion!

It isn't so far from mine.  I think she acts from the superiority of knowing that when she dies they will remove a certain four-letter word from the English language forever.  Well, maybe two if "evil" is removed as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2005, 09:14:34 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, and shall now be on my way to Gelson's to hopefully beat the crowds.  Yes, I shall beat the crowds because frankly the crowds have been annoying me and they deserve beating.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2005, 09:29:20 AM »

CONNERY BONDS - that's the name of my new investment for the new year, pays a much higher percentage than municipal bonds

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2005, 09:29:32 AM »

Crowds are much better when beaten with a whisk.  Preferably to soft peaks, but stiff peaks are good, too.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2005, 09:31:41 AM »

Weren't connery bonds what Fred Astaire was trying to sell Jennifer Jones in The Towering Inferno?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2005, 09:32:46 AM »

Does anyone out there think that Moore Bonds have any real value?

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2005, 09:34:58 AM »

Christmas Eve greetings from SW Ohio!  This elf wrapped presents from 7:30am until noon and is (almost) done.  DH Richard, DS Rob, and I are off later this afternoon to an Anglican church in Cincinnati for the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols, a covered dish dinner, and visits with both grandmas on the way home.  Tomorrow, it'll be just the 3 of us, my mom, her sister, and my cousin from Atlanta for Honey Baked Ham, cheese potatoes, green beans, Jello, sweet potato pie, and Christmas cookies.

When I was growing up, Christmas Eve was as big a holiday as Christmas Day.  My family opened presents on Christmas Eve.  Overnight, Santa filled the stockings and left a "Santa present."  

One CE I don't really remember, but have heard repeated so often it seems like it:  1953, our first holiday season in Detroit.  My parents were very lonely for their Portland friends, so opened presents in the middle of the afternoon.  My mom had given my dad a new watchband and they decided that we'd drive downtown to have it put on his watch before the stores closed.  My dad wanted to make a left turn where such was forbidden, but a cop saw the Oregon plates still on our car and put his hand over the NO LEFT TURN sign and averted his eyes.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2005, 10:05:36 AM »

I arrived at Gelson's at nine-twenty to find a completely filled parking lot and maniacal crowds.  Amazing.  Thankfully, I only had to purchase two items, so I got to use the under nine items line and I was in and out in five minutes.  I then went to the gas station to put gas in the motor car and that, too, was jammed (I got the last pump).  I'm SO happy I do not have to go anywhere else today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2005, 10:07:21 AM »

Good Morning! Good Afternoon!

It's nice to get eight hours of sleep.  However, since I didn't really get to bed until around 3:30am...  I blame it on all the sugar I ate last night. Yes, I am blaming Jose!  ;)

In other news...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2005, 10:08:39 AM »

My family usually celebrates Christmas on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas Day.  Christmas Day ends up being a day of rest and/or visting.

Details to follow...  I need to get my workout in before my motivation takes me elsewhere.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2005, 10:14:34 AM »

I echo those sentiments of staying inside tonight. I did my weekly grocery shopping yesterday so I wouldn't have to think about doing it today or Monday. (I'm assuming the grocery stores will be closed on Sunday).

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2005, 10:15:40 AM »

I haven't had a thing to eat all day, so I'm going now to remedy that.

WBBL.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2005, 11:14:32 AM »

We'll be at church this evening, which is around the corner, so I don't have to drive anywhere more today.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2005, 11:16:31 AM »

Tuna pasta salad is made, and I've begun the arduous task of putting away things that have been piling up for months.  O joy.  O rapture.  Also, transfering some LPs to CDs, something else I've been putting off for ages.

Now, let's get some postin' goin' on.  You'd think it was the day of Christmas Eve.  Let's get some creatures stirring, shall we?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2005, 11:26:26 AM »

It isn't so far from mine.  I think she acts from the superiority of knowing that when she dies they will remove a certain four-letter word from the English language forever.  Well, maybe two if "evil" is removed as well.

She was on a Fox News segment yesterday afternoon while I was visiting at my aunt's.  Although the TV was muted, I was moved to express my dislike of her.  My cousin turned the volume up and Coulter held forth on some maniacal assertions about liberals not being able to reason about something.  I opined that she is a "bitch with a capital 'C'".

I received some looks of surprise, but no arguments.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2005, 11:28:34 AM »

Favorite Bonds:

Connery: "Goldfinger" & "Diamonds Are Forever"

Movie (not just Connery): "On Her Majesty's Secret Service."

François de Paris

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2005, 11:33:58 AM »

I have no "most memorable" memories of Christmas Eve.  I've certainly had some fine ones, but I've also had some that sucked.

My memory doesn't dwell on the latter, although I can tell you that one fine Christmas Eve, when I was assigned to a radio station in northern Italy in 1973, I was informed that I was not only working a double shift that day, but that I was working another on Christmas Day.  After all, I was told, I was a single man and most the rest of the staff was married...and some even had children (though only two out of eight).  I would get, I was told, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

I said I understood, but the fact was that I was supposed to have Christmas Day off and both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day because of the rotation we worked.  As it turned out, I got the brunt of the holiday hours along with two other single folks.  And that included having to work New Year's Eve, as well.

I nipped that crap in the bud in the next year...I learned I was pulling 48-hour work weeks while some on the staff barely pulled 30 hours.

I delivered an ultimatum, I took instant leave without their consent (although the station manager approved it) and when I returned, I found things much-improved and a lot more fair.

And it all linked back to a rather dismal Christmas Eve.

Now...aren't you sorry BK asked???!!!

So glad you don't "dwell on the latter", DR Ron!

To make you feel better, let me tell you that I work all Xmas eve tonight -- 12 hours --, all Xmas night tomorrow -- 12 hours --, all of New Year's eve -- 12... well, you know the routine!... -- and all New Year's night!
But, hey, that beats being unemployed!
I guess I just had to be smarter and get a better job! ;D

And, I'm ready to buy Moore Bonds, DR Woody! THAT shows you how smart I am!! :D

François de Paris

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2005, 11:35:59 AM »

Happy Holiday evening and night to all!

DR Tomovoz 's computer keeps "crashing through the snow"!!

How festive!

François de Paris

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2005, 11:39:04 AM »

So nice to hear from you, DR Ben!

Holiday in Europe can be thrilling too!

Joyeux Noël!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2005, 11:43:33 AM »

I thought I was through in the stores also, until I realized that I'm suppose to bring drinks to mom's for Christmas Day.  Back out to the store,

François de Paris

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2005, 11:44:18 AM »

I do not know if DR Jennifer is familiar with this wonderful Canadian clown, Marc Favreau. I just heard on the radio, before coming to work tonight, that he had passed away! Some talent, I tell you!

http://www.ledevoir.com/2005/12/19/98053.html?214

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2005, 12:06:19 PM »

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE, Y'ALL!!!

Cahloo and cahlay and calumny, too!  We have just about everything done here in Jerseyland and we are ready for a rare relaxing and laid-back Christmas Eve.  Mom and I are getting ourselves ready for Church (very strange--we've been going to 4:30 pm Mass on Christmas Eve for a few years now for Christmas services--our church has not had Midnight Mass for years and we are usually too pooped to attend 10:00 pm Mass, so we now do this early matinee.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up