Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MERE  (Read 51931 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:MERE
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2005, 09:01:20 AM »

SONS AND LOVERS isn't remembered much any more. Seems like it won the ensemble acting prize at Cannes the year it was eligible, and for some reason, I thought it tied for that honor either with LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT or COMPULSION. I'll have to look that up later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2005, 09:02:14 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 2 Dance!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2005, 09:03:04 AM »

Kind of slim pickings on the DVD front for next week. Other than HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL - Season 3, I didn't see much of interest for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2005, 09:03:41 AM »

Hey, I'm the only one in the place!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2005, 09:15:29 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To TD for the cellulitis. I have had that a couple times but caught it early.

My most-read book this year is Sibley's Field Guide to the western United States.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2005, 09:17:28 AM »

Healthy vibes for DR TD!

Welcome back to NY vibes for DR Jason

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2005, 09:19:10 AM »

Work is very quiet and very dull today.

Season 3 of HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL?! Well, where in tarnation are seasons 2 of DRAGNET and ADAM-12 I should llike to know...some of these other series come out one right after the other, but the two that I want most are  taking their sweet time about it!

End of rant.

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2005, 09:20:30 AM »

I must be  grumpy today...or tired.

Last night I popped in the DVD for ULYSSES AGAINST THE SON OF HERCULES....I was enjoying but after 1/2 hour I fell asleep on the couch! I hate that.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2005, 09:22:19 AM »

Trivia of interest, likely, only to JRand55 and myself...the actor  (Mike Lane) who plays Perecles in ULYSSES AGAINST THE SON OF HERCULES is the same guy who plays the monster in FRANKENSTEIN 1970! Who knew!

So whatever became of Mike Lane, that is what I want to know!

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2005, 09:23:36 AM »

DR MBarnum, we waited almost three years between the first and second seasons of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, so you just have to be patient. I think they will get around to your favorites eventually (I'm longing for the one season of ELLERY QUEEN with Jim Hutton), but obviously they're going to release subsequent seasons of shows that sell the best in their first go-round.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2005, 09:24:04 AM »

Back-at-work greetings!  Today I work 12-9, tomorrow and Friday the day shift, then another glorious 3-day weekend.

TOD:

The Kite Runner
Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette bio
Madeline Albright's autobiography
Lucia, Lucia and Rococo, by Adriana Trigiani
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, by Lauren Willig
Made in Detroit:  A South of 8-Mile Memoir, by Paul Clemens
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2005, 09:32:13 AM »

OK, I'm going to try this...

From the artist's website, here is the work that I received for Christmas.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2005, 09:54:19 AM »

Hello, everybody!

My name's Ron!

What's YOURS?

It's another laid-back "sleepy" day in Johnston SC.  I got up around 7:30 a.m., made some coffee, washed a load of clothes and watched the Today Show.

Later in the morning, my mom and I went to the dump to discard an old grill (the dump is a paved lot with huge collection bins, each labeled according to what is allowed to be placed inside).  It was most antiseptic and easy.

We've just finished lunch (roast beef, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, green beans and hot rolls.  Pecan pie for dessert).

Sigh.

We have to retire a tad early this evening.  We have to be on the road at 4 a.m. in order to reach the Columbia SC airport one hour before my 6 a.m. flight.

I'm flying into Cincinnati where I'll change planes (in roughly 35 minutes after arriving).  I'll arrive in San Francisco at 10:10 a.m. pst.

I'm gonna be tired.  But I'm gonna be glad to get home, and I'm gonna be glad I spent two weeks here, too.  

There are many things I want to do when I return to Oakland, all of which I am certain will fall by the wayside as I get back into my rut..er..um...routine.  Yes, that's it, my routine.

I do look forward to cooking for myself.  That I have missed.  I've really enjoyed my mother's cooking, but the leftovers, as good as they are, seem to haunt us.  I don't cook much that gets left over beyond one meal.  But I cook for one.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 09:55:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2005, 09:59:52 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~ ~ ~ ~ ~  HEALTH VIBES FOR DR TD  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/move]

Wow, I never even heard of cellulitus.  Sounds seriously painful.  Take care, TD.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2005, 10:00:11 AM »

Work is very quiet and very dull today.

Here, too, DR MBarnum.  Mint M & M's are helping.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2005, 10:02:44 AM »

TD, hope you feel better!  I thought cellulitis was that jiggly fat stuff women get on their thighs!   :P

Betsy has devoured more books than I have this year, but I liked The Second Messiah, a book which presents fairly cogent evidence about the Shroud of Turin actually being of Jacques de Molay of Templars fame.  I've just started Umberto Eco's new book (a "graphic novel") about an amnesiac book dealer, and it "feels" like it's going to be a good one.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2005, 10:11:49 AM »

That's a beautiful piece of art, Ginny.

Cellulite is the jiggly stuff.

Cellulitis is a skin infection caused by bacteria. The infection extends into the tissues below the outer layer of skin (subcutaneous tissue). It most often develops anywhere the skin has been broken—often from a cut, burn, or an insect bite. The infection spreads from the skin to underlying tissues. In severe cases, it can spread quickly, within hours or days. Cellulitis is usually not contagious.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2005, 10:23:29 AM »

Why have I not even heard of cellulitis? Feel better!

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2005, 10:24:51 AM »

Wow, DR Dan the Man I did NOT read your post before posting mine.  We wrote the exact same thing!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2005, 10:34:06 AM »

And may I just add that Debussy's La Mere is one of my favorite pieces of music.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2005, 10:38:32 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Great and needed sleep I had.  What am I, Yoda all of a sudden?

Only Matt Ashford has a standby, and his standby is also standing by for Fonzie in Happy Days at the nearby Falcon Theater.

New Year's Eve I do nothing but post here at haineshisway.com.  It's the only party I attend.  No rehearsal that day.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2005, 10:38:33 AM »

Let me just say that I love love love my new grill pan.  I have no idea why I waited so long to get one.  The steaks were great, even though I did not try the method where you put the pan in the oven.  But I will try that soon.

For anyone who has one, what kinds of things do you cook in there?

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2005, 10:39:57 AM »

On this slow day at work, I'm catching up on professional reading and found a review of this book.  Thought it might appeal to some DR's:

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2005, 10:40:08 AM »

Speaking of Matt Ashford, is he back on DAYS (of our lives)?  I have not watched that show in like 15 years.  But when I was at my sister's last week he was on lurking outside on Christmas day!

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2005, 10:47:17 AM »

Well I have another cooking dilemna tonight. I am making a roast (inside round roast). And I'm not sure whether to cook it solely in the oven.  Most recipes seem to say 20 minutes per pound. And this one is only 1 and 1/2 lbs.  But somehow 30 minutes at 375 does not seem like enough.

Yesterday DR Jose was mentioning searing meats before cooking them. Some recipes I have recommend doing that.  Also, I wonder what it would cook like if I sliced it and just grillpanned it.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2005, 10:55:57 AM »

I am still at work and still bored, and I have no Mint M&Ms.

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2005, 11:17:12 AM »

I am still at work and still bored, and I have no Mint M&Ms.

DR MBarnum - I'd share mine, if you were in the next cubicle!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2005, 11:40:49 AM »

Yes, Matt is back on Days, as far as I know.  He's been shooting pretty regularly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2005, 11:41:10 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2005, 11:41:58 AM »

Glad someone is enjoying the Gower Champion book more than I - I found its errors way too numerous and not so piddling, but that's just me.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up