« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2005, 11:46:27 AM »

And as for books...

"Yiddish With Dick And Jane"

I only glanced at that-very funny :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:MERE
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2005, 11:51:39 AM »

TPunk is Marshall Field’s name changing to Macy’s?  Originally they were thinking of leaving the name alone.

Welcome home Jason.

Jane

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2005, 11:57:55 AM »

Td-ouch and scary.  GOOD BE GONE CELLULITIS VIBES!!

Jason

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2005, 12:04:14 PM »

DR Jane, MBarnum, Elmore et al: Thank you for the welcomes home. I had a great time, if you can believe it, and was even a little sad to be coming back to the City so soon. Five days really did fly by.

Something I said to my mom must've triggered something in her because she was quite possibly the happiest I've ever seen her at Christmas (THE holiday she usually hates). Everything went smoothly from what I could tell and a good time as had by all. We all received FAR more gifts than we needed, but everything was greatly appreciated and, for the most part, exactly what everyone wanted. More importantly, though, we were all together - including my nut of a brother who, despite the horrid things I've been told about him lately, was extremely sweet and hilariously funny. As a special gift to my parents, he even shaved off his hideous beard and was supposed to cut off his nasty hair yesterday. I don't know if he actually went to the salon, but he had an appointment. He's a good guy - I just hope his problems don't overwhelm him.

Anyway...that's that. I'm home now. I have a new roommate. We're getting cable in a couple of weeks. I'm way excited about that. I have a ticket to see LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA on New Year's Eve (what a great way to ring in the new year!!) and I'll be going to the Zoo on New Year's Day. Color me happy... :)

(And another hearty thank you to my HHW Angel, who saved my hide from the hateful transit strike and helped get me to my destination safely. THANK YOU!!)

Jane

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2005, 12:13:28 PM »

Jason, so glad you had a good visit home. :D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2005, 12:28:44 PM »

~~~ Best Health Vibes for DR TD!! ~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2005, 12:36:16 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day:  I hate to admit it, but the only book that I can remember reading this year was BK's "Rewind."  I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I really don't think that I actually read any other book this year. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2005, 12:45:03 PM »

DR TD: Feel better!!!

TOD: I don't think I really read a whole heck of a lot this year - I haven't had time!

I do remember reading:

Augustin Burroughs, "Dry"
Alice Walker, "The Color Purple"
"Death's Acres"

...and sadly, I think that's it. I really should make more time for it, but I just can't find the hours in the day.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2005, 12:46:26 PM »

TPunk is Marshall Field’s name changing to Macy’s?  Originally they were thinking of leaving the name alone.

Welcome home Jason.

DR Jane, I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but Strawbridges will also soon be gone.  Some will become Macys, a few others will become Lord & Taylors and others, like the long standing store at the Cherry Hill Mall in NJ will just be sold off.  I find it very sad, even though Strawbridges hasn't been the same since the Strawbridge and Clothier families sold out the business ten years or so ago.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2005, 01:12:22 PM »

Good afternoon!

Our cloudless blue skies clouded up to bursting resulting in a nice steady downpour and thunder for about an hour or more. I guess we need the rain, so I won't complain. Thankfully, I got in from lunch and shopping before the rain storm began.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2005, 01:19:26 PM »

DR Jason - I'll bet it's pretty quiet in your workplace this week, too.  Do you need some mint M & M's?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2005, 01:21:17 PM »

I spent the remainder of the afternoon with THE AGONY AND THE ECSTACY.

This has to be one of the premiere DVD transfers in the history of Fox Video. I have never ever seen Deluxe Color look so rich and deep: not in CLEOPATRA, not in HELLO DOLLY, not in THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS, not in STAR! It simply dumbfounded me; looked more like three strip Technicolor than any other film I can ever remember seeing on DVD.

The Dolby Digital 5.0 sound was adequate, no more.

But this is what Todd-AO is supposed to look like making that abominable Todd-AO OKLAHOMA! all the more obscene. The travelogue/mini biography of Michaelangelo that begins the film was so sharp and clear that one could make out textures in the marble of his statues, see pits and differences in the color of the marble in such depth as to be awe-inspiring.

I wish the film had a better script, of course, but as for a DVD of the film as presented, this just couldn't be bettered.

And this was a budget Fox release!

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2005, 01:24:18 PM »

So, I'm thinking tonight I'll be watching some CSI: NY on DVD along with a few episodes of FRIENDS from the last season. I'm still on Disc 3 of that set.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2005, 01:40:21 PM »

DR Jane, I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but Strawbridges will also soon be gone.  Some will become Macys, a few others will become Lord & Taylors and others, like the long standing store at the Cherry Hill Mall in NJ will just be sold off.  I find it very sad, even though Strawbridges hasn't been the same since the Strawbridge and Clothier families sold out the business ten years or so ago.

Sad.  Keith's mother will miss her May Company (I should say Robinsons May-boy did they ruin Robinsons, which is gone now or will be soon >:( ).  I'm hoping Macy's will be an improvement over our Meir and Frank, but it is still sad to see the name go.  The big Meir and Frank in Portland is in a wonderful old building and it will seem strange to see the Macy name up there. :(

Jason

« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2005, 01:45:15 PM »

DR Ginny: I could use the mint M&Ms anytime, but not because work is slow! ;)

Actually, things have been ridiculously busy for the last three or four weeks. This is usually the very slow period for us, and then things pick up again in late January. I dunno...I had nearly 100 new emails in my inbox this morning and a stack of letters and faxes to go through. Somehow, I'm all caught up now, though...

Jane

« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2005, 01:50:08 PM »

DAVID COPPERFIEL
PARROTS OF TELEGRAPH HILL
HAMLET’S DRESSER
YEAR OF WONDERS
PEACE LIKE A RIVER
ON FALCON WINGS

Tomovoz

« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2005, 01:55:38 PM »

Have any DRs read Gregory McGuire's sequel to "Wicked" yet?
Is it "Son of A Witch" or some such title.

Comments would be appreciated.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2005, 02:03:16 PM »

That is the correct title, but I haven't read it yet. I'll get a used copy at some point in 2006 and read it. The reviews have been very mixed.

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2005, 02:14:58 PM »

Thank you DR Matt.

Welcome back DR Jed.

Best wishes for a speedy and painless recovery to Mr Dale.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2005, 02:22:02 PM »

Haven't posted since the weekend, so I guess it's about time I do.  As DG Ann reported, our Christmas was a wonderful time, bouncing back and forth between our families' homes in Ellensburg (all of one block apart!).  The gifts were plentiful, including a number of lovely shirts, tickets to the concert/show/whatever of my choice, tickets to a Seahawks game of my choice next season, and a pulsating massage gizmo which feels simply faboo on the back and neck.  

Currently, I'm using my Christmas present to myself, a new computer.  My old one was just too old and slow, didn't want to connect to the internet, was outdated in every way... basically, its day had come.  This is the first truly new computer I've ever had, having bought my previous ones used from friends.  It's a very basic little Gateway eMachine, but a big improvement for me in terms of speed, storage, and everything else.  And with rebates and post-holiday discounts, it was simply too good a deal for me to resist!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Michael

« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2005, 02:27:01 PM »

Health Vibes to d, d, drTD.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2005, 02:28:08 PM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Great and needed sleep I had.  What am I, Yoda all of a sudden?

Only Matt Ashford has a standby, and his standby is also standing by for Fonzie in Happy Days at the nearby Falcon Theater.

And what happened if the standby is required at both shows on the same night??
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2005, 02:41:03 PM »

I bought "Son of a Witch" and "Wicked" a few weeks ago.  I have yet to open either book. ::)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2005, 02:54:17 PM »

I would love some mint M&M's right now.  Not that my work day is going particularly slow...they just sound good :)

Gotta love how rumors fly around workplaces.  I had heard that this daycare is so far in debt that they had to get rid of four people just to stay afloat.  Now those four people are gone, but there is some idea around that even with them gone, we might be closed within the next six months to a year.  Yee haw.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2005, 03:10:50 PM »

I suppose one of us will have to cancel.  We're thinking that Happy Days won't be needing his services that early on.  If our other two actors should miss, however, we cancel.

I wanted understudies for everyone, but I was fought on the issue and by the time everyone realized I was basically correct, it was too late to try to find people.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2005, 03:26:53 PM »

I would love some mint M&M's right now.  Not that my work day is going particularly slow...they just sound good :)

Gotta love how rumors fly around workplaces.  I had heard that this daycare is so far in debt that they had to get rid of four people just to stay afloat.  Now those four people are gone, but there is some idea around that even with them gone, we might be closed within the next six months to a year.  Yee haw.  

I see a job search in your future! :-*
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2005, 03:38:48 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~ ~ ~ ~ ~  HEALTH VIBES FOR DR TD  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/move]

Wow, I never even heard of cellulitus.  Sounds seriously painful.  Take care, TD.

Hi all.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who never heard of cellulitus.  

Very good health vibes to you DR TD!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2005, 03:45:11 PM »

DR Jason, I'm glad you had a good time and are home safe and sound.  

DR Ginny, I like the picture as well.  

Never heard of "Son Of A Witch".  

I do lots of book reading in a year.  I also enjoyed "ReRun".  But mostly for me, it's SF and Fantasy books.  

Lord, I'm tired tonight.  That first day back at work after having such a nice, long weekend is a killer!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2005, 03:49:03 PM »

Hi all
Sam and I are having lots of fun. Yesterday she arrived in the early afternoon and hadn't eaten. She's not into anything too exotic so we had Burgers at Red Robin and did the shopping she had on her "must do" list (Best Buy and purse shopping) We both found fun purses and she bought us matching cubic zirconia rings.  As she says "It's better than glass because it has a name"  
After a short break at home, we went to see The Family Stone, which we both enjoyed.

Then it was home for a game of Clue before we hit the hay.  She needs to get lots of sleep or she has problems, so she's still sleeping right now. When she gets up we're off to coffee. Then we'll hit a few really funky shops that I know she'll love and this afternoon it's ice skating.

Oh! she just woke up....better go.

Has she ever been ice skating before?  I'm sure that unless your used to it, you both will be hurting in places you didn't know you had on the morrow.    ;) :D  I know I sure DID!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2005, 04:05:11 PM »

Last year the jernt was jumpin'.  This year, it's moribund.  What gives?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up