Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SALTED NUTS!  (Read 49485 times)

Jennifer

Re:SALTED NUTS!
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2005, 09:02:02 AM »

DR MattH, I was going to post the Supernatural blurbs for sunday and tuesday. But then I erased my message, cause i wasn't sure if i would be posting what was on last sunday or next sunday.  They seem to be showing supernatural a lot though.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2005, 09:02:43 AM »

Btw, do you know when the next episode of Veronica Mars is? I've been trying to find out.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2005, 09:04:44 AM »

DR MattH, ah after searching a bunch of VM sites (including UPN.com) I found out that the next episode will be on January 18th, called Donut Run!

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2005, 09:10:01 AM »

If you like CRIMINAL MINDS (I don't), another episode is being shown tonight on CBS in the SURVIVOR time slot.

MEDIUM and the CSIs are apples and oranges. Yes, they're both mystery-based shows, but the latter show is a procedural with emphasis on intellectual and scientific investigation. More often than not, personalities don't get in the way of the evidence in these shows. There have been concessions on CSI: MIAMI and CSI: NY to begin (very lightly) adding a bit of character development to go along with the evidence gathering and mystery solving. But they don't pretend to be character based shows and shouldn't be denegrated for that. (Of course, you weren't denegrating them; you were simply stating a preference.)

I find I can enjoy both for what they are.

When I wrote my comments I wasn't even thinking that the CSIs were trying only to be procedurally driven.

The thing is, I didn't even find the mystery I saw last night to be particularly well thought out. Yes they used a lot of fancy equipment to find quick results.  But the killers and the storylines were fairly lame (at least to me).

I'm not sure if I will watch CRIMINAL MINDS again. I probably will tonight.  There were a few things I did like. One is Shemar Moore (from  Y&R). ANd the other was the complexness of the criminal mind they were investigating.

DR MattH, I'm surprised you don't like this show (if you love the CSI type shows). I found CM to be sort of similar to THE CLOSER without the quirky personality of Kyra S.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2005, 09:11:18 AM »

Exciting news from Ben:

Hey, Gang,

A dream came true for me this week. I was on the BBC live for an hour with Beverley on Showtime. It was an evening that was so exciting for me that it's hard to put into words. She sent a car for us at our hotel in Cardiff and we arrived at Broadcast House at 6:15. We went into the studio and Beverly prepared while I went over the outline of the show.
At 7pm Cardiff time we went live and between various show tunes we had a lovely chat. The hour flew by and then we left for dinner at the Wales Millenium Center. It was a wonderful way to end the evening. I can tell you all about it either in person (for your New Yorkers) or in another e-mail because it's still like a dream to me.

We are back in Dublin (it's mid-afternoon and I'm at an Internet cafe writing you all) after a flight on Ryan Air (the Bus in the Air) from Cardiff to Dublin.

For those of you unable to hear the show this week Dear Reader/Dear Friend George in Washington (a Hainsie Kimmlet reference, you know who you are) has agreed to be my producer and record the show. He will put it on a CD and send it to me. When I get that disc I will make copies and send them out to my fan club. Also, any HHW reader who gets this e-mail may feel free to post it for the other Hainsies who are not on this bulk mailing (there are some of them for whom I don't have e-mail
addresses)

The only unfortunate thing is that when you don't hear the show live it always begins just after the overture starts. You miss the "That's Entertainment" opening and Beverly's 30 second intro. Since that won't be at the Web site, when I send out the disc I will put her introduction of me into the CD notes so you can see what she said. You can't hear it but you will be able to read it.

This current segment will be at the Showtime site until next Wednesday, January 4th until about 3pm.

The instructions (as usual):

Here is the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/radiowales/shows/showtime.shtml

Click on it. You're taken to the Showtime page. Click on Listen to the Most Recent Edition of Showtime, The Player opens up and loads. No skips this week since I'm on for the entire program.

If clicking on the link doesn't work (the link is either not blue or maroon or when you click nothing happens) then just copy the address and paste it into your browser and click Go or hit Return/Enter. Or the easiest way is to just bookmark the Showtime page then you can go right to it after you open your Browser.

The current picture of Beverly at the BBC Web site does not do her justice. She is a charming and very attractive woman and we had a grand evening. I'm very excited for you all to listen to the show. I think it's great.

Enjoy!

Ben

Jane

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 09:21:14 AM »

Jane

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2005, 09:23:05 AM »

Jennifer which one is Shemar Moore?  We are getting hooked on CRIMINAL MINDS.

Jason

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2005, 09:37:17 AM »

Good day, all...

The office is frighteningly quiet right now...I hope I haven't cursed myself by saying so. They've just announced that we'll be closing at 1:00 tomorrow, so the Greek and I will be heading down to Times Square to see "King Kong" and "Brokeback Mountain" after I get off work. Pray for Rosemary's baby. ;)

I just made a major purchase for which I am MOST excited. I just bought a DVD burner. Yay!! :D Now I just have to figure out how to use the darn thing...

TOD:

THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA
DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
ALL SHOOK UP
"Garden State"
Gavin McGraw's new album
25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE
"The Color Purple" Motion Picture Soundtrack (I know - it's old, but I just bought it)
Fountains of Wayne, "Welcome Interstate Managers"
SPAMALOT
MARY POPPINS

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2005, 09:51:26 AM »

Good day, all...

The office is frighteningly quiet right now...I hope I haven't cursed myself by saying so. They've just announced that we'll be closing at 1:00 tomorrow, so the Greek and I will be heading down to Times Square to see "King Kong" and "Brokeback Mountain" after I get off work. Pray for Rosemary's baby. ;)

I just made a major purchase for which I am MOST excited. I just bought a DVD burner. Yay!! :D Now I just have to figure out how to use the darn thing...

TOD:

THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA
DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
ALL SHOOK UP
"Garden State"
Gavin McGraw's new album
25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE
"The Color Purple" Motion Picture Soundtrack (I know - it's old, but I just bought it)
Fountains of Wayne, "Welcome Interstate Managers"
SPAMALOT
MARY POPPINS

DRJason, have fun at the movies!  I need to buy both a new DVD player and CD player, which I planned to purchase this week from my Frangoulis invoices.  I have to say the Mario Frangoulis money men are pathetically slow, and I have invoices over a six weeks old now waiting for payment.  I'm sick of begging for money about it, but we self-employed folk are often at the mercy of assholes.  I am not happy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2005, 09:51:29 AM »

I don't know - last year at this time the jernt was jumpin'.  

Mr. Haines is very appreciative and happily surprised to see the inclusion of his CD on a few listings.  

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2005, 09:56:28 AM »

Thursday greetings!

TOD:

Carole King The Living Room Tour
Carly Simon Moonlight Serenade
Bryn Terfel Simple Gifts
The sparkling prize that came with my copy of Rewind
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2005, 10:11:34 AM »

On this blessed 4th day of Chunkah, I have been listening to a 2CD compilation given to me by DS Betsy, called The Hidden Gate, Jewish Music from Around the World.  Who knew there were Jews in Zimbabwe, doing chants that sound like outtakes from Sarafina!?

I get so many CDs that it's hard to keep track, but among my faves this past year were the latest (and probably last) Percy Faith reissues, including the 3 Singles compilations that include stuff never previously released; The Carnival reissue (2nd CD release, this time with great liner notes and bonus tracks), the great group comprised of former Brasil '66 members, produced and arranged by Bones Howe and Bob Alcivar, so they sound kind of like a cross between Sergio & The 5th Dimension; Kila, an incredibly wonderful Celtic fusion band (any of their releases, I got several this year); and. . .well, I'll need to go look at various CD shelves.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

FJL

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2005, 10:14:20 AM »

Likewise, Skip and I very much appreciate the inclusion of Last Starfighter on a couple of people's lists.

Incredibly, and this is blatant self-promotion, Last Starfighter has ended up being footlight.com's #5 "top seller" cast recording for the last 60 days of the year (and three of the four that are ahead of Starfighter are recordings of major major productions with loads of press push behind them).  This was out of 94 cast recordings on that list.

Certainly on that front, Skip and I feel very fortunate as we go into the new year.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 10:18:15 AM by FJL »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2005, 10:28:10 AM »

And it's no BS about Footlight either - they have reordered Starfighter five times since their initial order, and Ron tells me that it just flies out the door.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2005, 10:43:02 AM »

Five people just sitting there like so much fish.  Really!  Let's dance the Lambada (The Forbidden Dance), let's have some FUN!  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2005, 10:52:13 AM »

Good Afternoon!

My trips to the post office and bank took no time and at all, and then I came back here and got my workout in...

And since then I've just been dawdling... watching TV, surfing the web, etc... I'm pretty sure a nap is somewhere in my near future.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2005, 10:53:26 AM »

Five people just sitting there like so much fish.  Really!  Let's dance the Lambada (The Forbidden Dance), let's have some FUN!  

<raises hand>

Yes, I admit it. I was just sitting here like so much fish.

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2005, 11:45:58 AM »

FJL, Skip and Bruce, congratulations on THE LAST STARFIGHTER!  I listen to my CD all the time.    

FJL

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2005, 11:48:44 AM »

Thanks so much, Jane.  

François de Paris

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2005, 11:52:59 AM »

I listen to my CD all the time.    

Well, no wonder you don't get anything done at home!! :D

François de Paris

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2005, 11:53:46 AM »

For you, kimlets in the L.A. area!

Thurl Ravenscroft, Robie Lester, Paul Winchell, John Fiedler, Howard Morris, Henry Corden, Joe Grant, Joe Ranft and many other artistic contributors to animation (and records) will be honored at
AN AFTERNOON OF REMEMBRANCE
Presented by ASIFA-Hollywood, Women in Animation and The Animation Guild Local 839
on Saturday, January 28 at 12 noon
at Hollywood Heritage Museum, 2100 N. Highland (across from the Hollywood Bowl) in California.
This is a free event and open to all with no RSVPs necessary.
ASIFA is the animation organization that is responsible for the ANNIE awards for animation excellence every year.

François de Paris

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2005, 11:55:19 AM »

Five people just sitting there like so much fish.

That's the title for my next musical!! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2005, 11:57:20 AM »

they have reordered Starfighter five times since their initial order, and Ron tells me that it just flies out the door.

"FLIES" as to be the proper word!! :D

Jane

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2005, 11:59:37 AM »

Well, no wonder you don't get anything done at home!! :D

;D ;D ;D Along with chatting at HHW. :)

I do have work to do and must leave. :(

FJL

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »

Nothing going on at the office today, so I am tax-free until next year.  :)

But then tax season (and mandatory Saturday working) starts in just two weeks.  :(

Jane

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2005, 12:35:07 PM »

My dryer has been fixed and is working like new again.  It needed a new heating element which the repairman had with him. :)

Now I need a new tile person.  Just as we are ready for him it seems he is moving.  It would have been nice if he had mentioned this sooner.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 12:35:50 PM by Jane »

Tomovoz

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2005, 12:36:04 PM »

Thank you DR Ginny for the reminder.. I forgot about the Carly Simon Cd. I have other titles that I have not yet listened to as yet (Sorry DR FJL - that includes the Last Starfighter - which is in good company - Anthony Warlow's "SnowGoose" is yet to be played either.)

Other CDs of interest but I would not consider wonderful were the Sondheim Sings ones and the Schmidt  plays Schmidt & Jones.

I've not played the best of the Orlons yet DR MBarnum . I have played the Chubby Checker, Bobby Rydell and Dee Dee Sharpe CDs in the same series.
The "box" set of Cameo/Parkway recordings is a favourite here.

Some DRs have provided me with some wonderful listening material this year - no wonder I don't get a chance for the new releases!! I'm not complaining.

I also like the new Streisand/Gibb Cd.

Of special interest was the "Tin Box" collection provided by DR Rodzinski.

Must also add the Cd by Isabelle Georges of Maury Yeston's "December Songs"

t really is quite a task to remember what CDs "belong" to 2005.  So many are reissues etc.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 12:49:37 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2005, 12:41:51 PM »

I shall now be on my way to luncheon and then a meeting, after which I shall return and hopefully find us past page two.  Last year at this time the jernt was jumpin'.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2005, 12:43:14 PM »

I am back.

I am home.

I am here!

I have arrived.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2005, 12:44:41 PM »

Pleasing note from Amazon.com yesterday.  My Cds of "Dessa Rose"  have been mailed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up