Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW YEAR'S ROCKIN' EVE  (Read 60737 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NEW YEAR'S ROCKIN' EVE
« on: December 31, 2005, 12:52:09 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've waxed nostalgic with the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they'll be watching their balls drop and might be home sometime in 2006.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 12:11:07 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NEW YEAR'S ROCKIN' EVE
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 12:53:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: EXCELSIOR!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 12:53:54 AM »

Welcome eight GUESTS!  1:00 in the morning and we've got us eight GUESTS.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 03:57:57 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers. Whew! It took me a long time to catch up on 12 pages of posts from yesterday.

I was out all day yesterday on a birdwalk at the river. While there, we came across a plain brown dog that has obviously recently had pups and had been abandoned at the river. We went back to the nearest convenience store and got two cans of food, which she devoured, and a small bag of dry food that we left on the ground. I feel quite sad, but I'm just not in a position to bring a stray dog home. She seemed a nice gal. We didn't find the pups.

The good news is that I got my camera back last night. It is recharging, and I'll be able to take photos of our Soup Party tonight. I have really missed my camera.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 05:57:48 AM »

Excelsior!

Well, sweet little Rhoda Penmark (nee Denker) knows ALL about excelsior!  And so, unfortunately, does LeRoy Jessup!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 06:06:00 AM »

Hmmm....like DR DtM, I have found this to be a year of mixed blessings.

High points would be choreographing PIPPIN, directing I'LL BE BACK BEFORE MIDNIGHT,  starting to work at my sister's store, meeting DRGINNY & DHRICHARD & DRJOSE at a wonderful show MAMMA MIA!, meeting GINNY, RICHARD, & ROB a few weeks ago and DRs RODZINSKI & TPUNK last night (along with their friend Matthew).  Working on the website for PCP and starting my own Frances Farmer Blog Spot.

Lowlights would be MY THREE ANGELS and some personal disagreements with fellow Board Members at the Putnam County Playhouse....different year, same complaints....no answers or COOPERATION from the same %$#*ing people.

I am sure there are other highs and lows - but they will be written down elsewhere!  Can you say bitch book?

Thanks be to the WWW and the HHW and Mr BK and all the wonderful members of the HHW family who make me feel connected to the world of show business (which has always been a dream, but not a goal, of mine) and a particular shout out to my peeps:
JMK, MBARNUM, MATTH (for the Lucy pics), DRJOSE for the MAMMA MIA! presents, and CILLALIZ for some particularly useful information right when I needed it.

Thank you, Bruce Kimmel, for providing us with MUCH entertainment and with this thriving and informative and uniting forum. :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 06:10:59 AM »

Good morning, all!  I, too, will be happy to see the  end of 2005, and I'm both curious and happy to see what havoc and possible joy 2006 will drag in.

LOWS:
  Derek's death
  Lys Symonette's death
  Louis Aborn's death
  Paula Lawrence's death
  6 months of fair-to-middling health
  financial crisis
  DARLING OF THE DAY
  Losing WHERE'S CHARLEY? at Goodspeed
  VAN HELSING (or was that the low of 2004?)

HIGHS
  Two (2) HHW gatherings!
  A wonderful collection of amazing friends
  BABES IN TOYLAND and my editorial crew
  The Chicago Humanities Festival
  Addressing the theatre and music students at Miami U
  Fantastic holidays with FJL and Skip
  A pleasant experience with the NYCGMC holiday concert
  Surviving

Happy New Year, One and All!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 06:11:22 AM »

Anyone who is suddenly a Meena Kumari fan after last night, can read all about her penultimate film here:'

http://www.upperstall.com/films/pakeezah.html

It is a sad, sad story - but a lovely film  :'(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 06:12:32 AM »

And DR ELMORE, of course!  And DR TOMovOZ and DRCP (friend of June Wilkinson & Harlan Ellison), and DR FRANCOIS.

And all you lovely people out there in the dark!  Oh heck, just click on the members list!  LOL  :)

Michael

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 06:19:46 AM »

FJL said yesterday

Since 1031 is a very important section of the Internal Revenue Code, I will consider myself as having just passed a milestone as well.  

All I can say was that must of hurt like hell.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 06:31:02 AM »

Good Morning!

-Hmm... I had actually started to type "Good Afternoon", but then realized it wasn't the afternoon.  Maybe I was channeling DR François.

;)

In any case...

Good Morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 06:33:13 AM »

Low Point
Findung out why I have been packing on all the weight was due to pre-diabetes.

High Point
Since finding out out and as of this morning having lost 40lbs

Low Point
Trying to revamp www.brucekimmel.com and totally f**king it up.

High Points
Creatuing www.larrymooremusic.com for DR Elmoore

Low Point
Mothering going in for a knee replacement and finding out she had a heart problem.

High Point
They gave her a pacemaker and now she is fine and dandy and in rehab for the new knee.

Low Point
The passing of friends and aquaintences.

High Point
The continued friendship of others.

Low Point
The continued presidency of Bush and the war.

High Point
The end is near for both (I hope I don't get a wiretap because of this)

Low Point
Some long posting members leaving HHW

High Point
New members joining

Low Point
4 Broadway Divas on Broadway turning out to be 2 Broadway Divas and One Understudy On Off-Broadway.

High Point
Souvenir with the wonderful Judy Kaye, Avenue Q, Alter Boyz, Jewish Thighs On Broadway

Resolution for next year:
Continuing to loose more weight so I can post a new avitar that everyone will say WOW!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 06:35:11 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 06:36:43 AM »

Oh, DR CILLALIZ - KING KONG is fun and would be a good movie to see.

Most disappointing, as I have written numerous times:  the musical score.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 06:38:34 AM »

Congratulations on 40 lbs DRMATTHEW!!  That is great.  Vibes for reaching your goal! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 06:58:05 AM »

Good morning all.  I must run. I have to meet some friends at the Local Foods Market. They do have best breakfasts on Saturday mornings.  I will see Paul, of course, and my friend Linda - who is still living on one of the cruise ships in New Orleans, but is in town as her mother is having surgery.

FJL

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 07:10:35 AM »

Low points of 2005:  the suicide of a co-worker and the sudden death of the wife of one of my bosses

High points of 2005:  being lucky enough to be in a position to help some people out when they were in need; and also starting to embrace the concept that no one person is in the existential sense more important or impressive than anyone else (that is, that I'm in the long run no more important than anyone else, but for that matter, also no less important than anyone else)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 07:15:23 AM »

As for the LowLights of 2005...

As DR Dan (the Man) mentioned last night, this past year has been filled with too many tragic and sobering world events.  Let us all hope and pray that 2006 will be filled with happiness and calm around the world.

Personally, I know I had a few lowlights, but, frankly, I think I've made my peace with them and/or just let them go.  And, right now, at this time of the morning, when my brain and body is still waking up, I can't think of anything.  So, I guess nothing was really that bad.

As for the HighLights...

Jewish Thighs on Broadway - Thank you, Penny for that wonderful gift - whose seed was planted back in late 2004.  That whole time in NYC was just magical for me - including the big HHW get-together at Angus McIndoe.  -And it solidified my decision to finally make the move to NYC a few months later.

Mamma Mia! - Here I go again... and again... and again... :-)  What a great crew of people.  I've been subbing in and out on Tour 2 for the past four years.  A week here, a week there.  It was great getting asked to join them for an extended period of time this time round - almost four months straight.  And since some of the cast, orchestra and crew members have been with the tour since Day 1, it was nice getting to spend more time with those road warriors.  And it was MM! that brought me to Indianapolis where I finally got to meet Jack and Joey, and re-meet Ginny and her husband, Richard.

Dangerous Beauty at New York Stage & Film at Vassar - This was one of a couple of "emergency" gigs for me this year - "Hey, Jose, can you get up here tomorrow?" - and it was an amazing week of work, creativity and making connections.  -And sitting around the lake on the Fourth of July listening to Amanda McBroom, Michelle Brourman and Laurel Massé sing "America, the Beautiful" - very much impromptu - is a most special memory.  I actually felt patriotic, American.

Williamstown Theatre Festival, Triangle - Another, "Can you get here tomorrow?" gigs.  And another amazing experience.  Curtis Moore, Tom Mizer, Joshua Scher (remember the stir his pics caused on this here site? ;)), Carlos Armesto - an amazing bunch of guys and great collaborators who welcomed me with open arms and open minds.  And just finally getting up to Williamstown - a true dream come true (one of many this past year).  -And a special Thank You to Tom and Antonia for making the trek up to see my show - and for driving me back to The City - and for stopping for chocolate, Mexican food and Target on the way back in.  ;)

The Grass Harp rehearsals with the ASO - All that talent in one rehearsal hall!  Including our very own DR elmore.  Thank you, Larry, for letting me be a fly on the wall - and on the ready with a pencil and erasers.

Damn Yankees at Arena Stage - I'm still in the middle of the run, but it's been a great way to wrap up 2005.  Another great group of people from top to bottom.  -And in a way, it's also sort of a bittersweet time for me too, since I can just sense that this will be my last show at Arena for while - for personal, artistic and logistical reasons.  This is my sixth production at Arena since getting my start back with them in 1997(!) with Sunday In The Park With George.  Arena has truly become an artistic home for me.  But it's time to Move On...

The Move To New York City - I finally did it!  -Yes, I'm in a "temporary exile" down here in DC right now, but I know I'll be back sooner than later.  There's just way too many things to talk about concerning the move, but a big part of it has been meeting new people and getting to know a bunch of people a lot better - including many DRs:  Jason, Larry, Tom, Antonia, Ben, Ant, Skip, Fred... A true bunch of swell swells.

And then there was the veritable HHW Convention back in October - otherwise known as the Food and Walking Tour 2005, New York City Edition.  Jane, Michael, Ginny, Priscilla, Danise, Jason, Antonia, Debbie, Victoria, Bruce, Woody, William, Skip, Fred, Larry, Tom, Ben... I hope I'm not forgetting anyone.  And even though he may come across a little rough around the edges - and self-admittedly so - it was DR DerBrucer who suggested that we raise a glass to Derek at the end-of-day meal at La Cocina - a truly lovely gesture.  And a perfect way to help end that most wonderful of days.  -Are everyone's feet and legs recovered yet?

...and with my "return" to New York City coming up, coupled with my Broadway pit debut with Lestat... 2006 is already "so far, so good".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 07:25:37 AM »

And a "continued" Thank You, to BK for keeping this here site on the web going.  Bruce, you're a strange fellow - and I don't think I'd get any disagreement from anyone, including yourself, about that - but you've managed to bring together people from all around the globe.  In fact, I don't think a "normal" person would be able to pull off the same feat.  -And please, please know that I mean that as a very high compliment.  You've had a very busy year, and yet you've managed to keep the Notes and Posts going each day, sometimes leaving some DRs - myself included - in the cyber-dust.  We may not get to read and post everyday, but you're always there... Here. Thanks for continuing to make HainesHisWay a true Home on the World Wide Web for all of us.  -And for keeping the Welcome Mat down and the front door unlocked.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2005, 07:27:41 AM »

Well, I had hoped to start my final workout of 2006 about an hour ago, but I got distracted... But in a good way...  ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 07:29:52 AM »

The Grass Harp rehearsals with the ASO - All that talent in one rehearsal hall!  Including our very own DR elmore.  Thank you, Larry, for letting me be a fly on the wall - and on the ready with a pencil and erasers.

DR Jose, wake up!  It was THE GOLDEN APPLE, which I forgot to mention as one of the Highs this past year, along with my trip to the LoC with Tom Murray and you.

Get your butt back to New York, I have no one to kick around!!! ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2005, 07:36:46 AM »

And a "continued" Thank You, to BK for keeping this here site on the web going.  Bruce, you're a strange fellow - and I don't think I'd get any disagreement from anyone, including yourself, about that - but you've managed to bring together people from all around the globe.  In fact, I don't think a "normal" person would be able to pull off the same feat.  -And please, please know that I mean that as a very high compliment.  You've had a very busy year, and yet you've managed to keep the Notes and Posts going each day, sometimes leaving some DRs - myself included - in the cyber-dust.  We may not get to read and post everyday, but you're always there... Here. Thanks for continuing to make HainesHisWay a true Home on the World Wide Web for all of us.  -And for keeping the Welcome Mat down and the front door unlocked.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
I'll Drink to That!!!!!
[/move]

Ginny

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2005, 07:55:45 AM »

New Year's Eve greetings!  Another 3-day weekend, and a more relaxed one than last.  Today, I'm making chili in the crockpot to take to my mother's.  We'll pick up my mom and her sister for a late afternoon showing of The Producers, then go back to Mom's for  our chili supper.  Everyone will be snug at home well before midnight.

TOD:  My lowest point of 2005 was the very sudden death of a beloved co-worker, who I still expect to come around my corner in our office and greet me in his own special way.  News of losses of others, especially Derek and a couple of my mom's friends in Michigan, too.  Year's end finds us very concerned with the condition of DH Richard's mother, who is still in the hospital (which is actually the best place for her).  Please continue your vibes and prayers.

High points of 2005 include the HHW gatherings large and small in NYC and Indianapolis.  The special role this here site has played in my life has been to rekindle my interest in theatre, especially musicals, which I had let lanquish.  Of course, the flourishing of our son at the University of Cincinnati and approaching the quarter-century mark with DH Richard are tops on my list.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2005, 08:04:32 AM »

Wow, highlights of 2005...

My first, and hopefully not last, trip to the Big Apple and having the opportunity to reconnect with DR Jane and meet in the flesh DRs Cillaliz, Vixmom (and the Vixter), Der Brucer, S. Woody, Ben (and his ever loving Anthony), Danise, William Orr, Jason, and FLJ (and his ever loving Skip and puppies), not to mention my personal escort during my stay DR Jose and my hosts with the mosts DR Elmore (who has the most comfortable fire escape in all of New York) and DRs Rodzinski and TPunk...I adore you all and am proud to consider you all friends!

The fun, fun, fun (that is three funs) Portland HHW get together where I was able to meet up with not only our HHW host BK (who is one funny guy!) but also those crazy DRs from the north Ann, Jed, and TCB, and to see once again DR JMK and his everloving Betsy.

My trip to Los Angeles in July where I spent 3 days visiting and partying with Ms. Laurie Mitchell, star of QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE and ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE and her niece Laurie and the rest of Ms. Mitchell's family who treated me as part of their family!! Not to mention meeting up with BK and finally meeting DR Charles Pogue who isn't nearly as gruff and grumpy as he tries to come across! He is a swell guy as is their buddy Nick Redman.

My continued friendship with DR JRand55 who is responsible for my being at HHW and who I can always count on to share my interest in B-movie stars and movies!

The wonderful musical CDs sent to me by DR Tomovoz from Australia and my friend Dave in Seattle.

...some wonderful and long awaited movies (for me) released on dvd (King Kong, The Flesh Eaters, Cat People/Curse of the Cat People, King Kong Escapes, Adam-12, and others).

The continued good health of my family and friends and pets! And getting to spend time with all the above!

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2005, 08:08:03 AM »

Low lights:

The death of my interviewees and good friends Cal Bolder and Carolyn Kearney...I miss both of them very much.

The death of my interviewee Keith Andes. We didn't become good friends like I did with the other two above, but he would e-mail me now and then and he was such an interesting guy.

The death of one of our own...DR Derek. Such a nice guy whose posts I always enjoyed and whose smiling face was a joy to see.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2005, 08:25:01 AM »

As the monkey said when he got his tail caught in the fan:

It won't be long now.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2005, 08:27:56 AM »

Off to work....back for the HHW New Year's Eve BlowOut - and the TCM Sci Fi Spectacular!

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Quatermass Experiment, The Thing From Another World, The Blob, It Came From Outer Space, Village of the Damned!

Wooohooooo!!!

And of course there is also the SciFi Channel's Twilight Zone marathon!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2005, 08:29:01 AM »

Good morning!

We missed the rain their forecast for this morning, but the overcast of clouds continues. Still, the day is pleasant for December, and I'm not complaining. Don't know whether I will get a walk in today or not, but there's always the treadmill if not.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2005, 08:30:56 AM »

Wonderful summataion, DR Jose, of the uniqueness of HHW and thanks for host BK for welcoming us into his cyber home. How wonderful is has been and is to know such a varied and fascinating assortment of people and personalities. No place like it on the internet.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2005, 08:32:41 AM »

I have two unfinished DVDs to get to first off today: the rest of the CSI: NY episode I started last night and the last half of DOCTOR ZHIVAGO started yesterday afternoon.

After that, the sky's the limit!

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2005, 08:40:27 AM »

DR JRand - your visit last night from DR's Rodzinski and TPunk may have the distinction of being the first surprise HHW gathering!  Sounds like fun!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up