Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW YEAR'S ROCKIN' EVE  (Read 60759 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:NEW YEAR'S ROCKIN' EVE
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2005, 08:40:58 AM »

Basically I had a good year. Among the personal highlights:

1. Playing the role of Georges in LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, one of those dream roles that I did achieve. I still have a few left on my list, but playing this, despite an up and down production, was a highlight of my years on stage.

2. Having one of my closest friends Jeff move back to Charlotte after a year in Virginia.

3. Buying the perfect widescreen TV for my home theater and working to get it calibrated just to my liking.

4. The new car I got in June.

Low points:

1. Losing the role of Fagin in OLIVER! to an actor who could barely carry a tune, used no British accent of any kind, and did nothing with the role in performance. Found out later he was pre-cast, and the director had not told me thus sparing me the effort of auditioning.

2. Having dear friends Rodney and Darin move 50 miles out of the city making drop-bys to swap DVDs next to impossible.

3. Dealing with an Ebay seller who ships late, feigns the post office is at fault, and lies through his teeth.

4, Enduring the year-long construction of the condomenium complex across the street from the side of my house. I noticed a couple of folks have moved in, so it's near completion, but it's been arduous dealing with myriad trucks blocking driveways, the street, etc. not to mention the noise and dust for over a year.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2005, 08:44:21 AM »

Page Two Lucy and Ethel Shiver Dance!!!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2005, 08:54:17 AM »

Low Point:  Being in an automobile accident in January (not our fault) that totalled our trusty Buick and had health repercussions for The lovely Wife, who required considerable physical therapy.

High Point:  Buying our new Toyota.  It was nice to have a new car.

Low Point:  The middling mish-mash my mini-series, HERCULES, turned out to be.  It had been a much-admired script and was sunk by bad direction and a disastrous decision to turn a four-hour piece into a three hour one.

Low Point:  Finding out our back deck needed about ten thousand dollars worth of work.  This led to another...

Low Point: The expense of the deck and new car precluded a trip to London this year.  Both of us are already having London withdrawal.

High Point:  Teaching at the Shakespeare Insitute this summer in Lexington.  Both of us had a ball working with the young kids and it started the ball rolling toward our biggest...

High Point: realizing that we could cash out, relocate, and be financially secure the rest of our lives.  This started the house-hunting process.

High Point:  All the many meals, Ray Court Shows, Kimmel Events, and many, many laughs with BK.  Which, of course, led to another...

Low Point...realizing that the move would make these many good times more infrequent.  BK will be missed sorely...as will all our many, many good friends in California which led to an odd...

High Point/Low Point...saying goodbye to a house one had lived in for sixteen years and had many a fine party and good times in and bidding farewell to good friends and little touchstone places one took for granted.  But at the same time looking forward to new adventures and new times and renewing bonds and connections with dear old friends in the new locale.  Also realizing how much we were liked, loved, and how highly we were thought of by those we were leaving and those we were coming to.  

The Wizard was right: "A heart is not judged by how much you love, but how much you are loved by others."  We were deeply gratified and touched to find out the impact we had, how much our lives touched others, and how much we'll be missed and welcomed.  It was always suspected, but to have confirmed the wealth of friendship that surrounds us with such an overwhelming flow of affection and love was, and still is, very emotional.  One feels that they have at least done one thing right...and had a unique gift for friendship.

High Point:  Not having to deal with the stress, traffic, and industry-obsession of LA anymore.  Not having to hustle for jobs I never had any interest in doing anyway.  I've always said, "True power in Hollywood is not needing it  before it no longer needs you."  What a wonderful position to be in.  I think that one of the saddest things in Hollywood (and you see it a lot at the Ray Court shows) is people still clinging desperately to their brief fling with glory, hanging around, shouting: "Hey, know who I used to be!"  The healthiest thing one can do is know when their run is over, move on with some degree of style and class (Remember Cary Grant's elegant retirement), leave them wanting more, and not linger like a bad fart.  I still am..not a used to be...and find that looking ahead at what I yet want to accomplish rather than what I've done infinitely more exciting and passionate.  

High Point:  The new house.  Pretty much a dream house for us!  We love the neighbourhood, all the space, and the adaptibility of the house to personalize it the way we want.  We're looking to many bright, productive years ahead here!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 12:42:56 PM by Charles Pogue »

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2005, 09:00:00 AM »

Off to start prepping lunch now and enjoying the remainders of those two videos mentioned earlier.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2005, 09:01:37 AM »

If these aren't the best posts on all the Internet I'll eat my hat.

Does anyone still wear a hat?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2005, 09:04:33 AM »

High point: getting back to work, at a job that I genuinely enjoy.

High point: the NYC Food Walking Tour, and everyone involved.

Low point: Losing Derek.

Low point/high points: losing Bruno (one of Peggy's three pups) but finding homes for Baxter and Benedick (the other two pups).

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2005, 09:05:17 AM »

I wore a hat on Christmas Eve.  Not really my shade of red, but it worked.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2005, 09:17:00 AM »

If these aren't the best posts on all the Internet I'll eat my hat.

Does anyone still wear a hat?

I do!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2005, 09:19:30 AM »

Highlight:  our trip to Yellowstone, Tetons & SLC with the kids.

Lowlight:  finding out my cholesterol was back in the stratosphere.

MS, I can not believe you didn't mention creating the sacred holiday of Chunkah as one of your highlights.   ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2005, 09:19:37 AM »

Before going out with Keith to access the damage to our property and the road I asked Keith to close the site.  He closed everything, including all my comments from last night’s posts I didn’t respond to yet.  Of course I can’t remember everything I intended to respond-short version (sorry Bruce, only one post vs multiple):

JRand, Rodsinski and TPunk-how fun. :D

Cillaliz, go see KING KONG, just try to go to a comfortable theater.

MBarnum I might have lasted long enough to discover Bollywood’s views on Jew’s but Keith couldn’t. ;D

François thank you for the story on the dog that rescued cats.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2005, 09:21:30 AM »

Off to visit my mother-in-law in the hospital.  Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2005, 09:22:30 AM »

Michael S. congratulations on loosing 40 pounds.

Continued vibes to DR Ginny’s mother in-law.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2005, 09:37:58 AM »

So, what are everyone's plans for tonight?

For myself, I'll be getting off work at 9:30 or so, after the store closes.  Then der B and I will have a nice steak dinner (baked tater with the works and broccoli on the side), and probably just putz until sleep kicks in.  I guess if I wanted to, I could stay up and partay, but I probably won't.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2005, 09:56:55 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-Well, since I have matinee in just over an hour, and I'm still not showered...  So...

DR elmore - DOH!!  The Golden Apple!!!  DOH!!!!

I'm still not sure what my plans are for tonight.  I think one of the cast mates is having a partay, but I'm not sure.  I may also opt for a quiet evening at home after the show.  We shall see...

But just in case....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Till 2006...

Laters....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2005, 09:57:28 AM »

DR Jane - Let's hope the post office keeps it's pledge regarding the weather conditions...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2005, 10:34:03 AM »

Well, I had hoped to start my final workout of 2006 about an hour ago, but I got distracted... But in a good way...  ;)

Laters...

I'm assuming you mean final workout of 2005....I can't imagine you're giving up before you even begin  ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2005, 11:11:03 AM »

Wow. The posts today are so touching and moving.  I agree whole heartedly about BK and this site.  

One of my big high points this year was getting to meet some of the wondeful people who post here, both in New York and Portland.  Meeting Jane, Keith, JMK, Betsy, and George in Portland let me know that my intuition was right and that the people here are truly good and creative people.  It also sealed my decision to go to New York in October.   That trip was fantastic and because of this site, we were all instant family.  Let's see if I can name everyone, Danise, Ginny, Jane, Ben, Larry, Jose, Michael, Deb and the Vixter, Woody and Der Brucer, Fred and Skip, Jason, Tom and Antonia, William Orr...if I missed anyone, I'm sorry.  It really meant a lot to me to meet you all in person. I am very much looking forward to any 2006 HHW gatherings I can attend.

Another highlight was renewing my friendship with Rupert.  It had been 28 years since we last saw each other and over 10 since we had any correspondence.  He was a friend to me back then and has become an even better friend now. He was also the person who told me about Bruce and that led me to this site and all of you, so thanks Rupe.

On the lowlight side, my brother's house fire that led to a lot of tension and problems until they were able to rebuild.  It was the toughest for them, but the waves went through the family, so it's nice that's over.

Lowlight - last Dec-Jan when Callie was believed to be on her last leg by the vets treating her.  

Highlight - she fully recovered and now with her brother has gotten so spoiled that if I leave for any length of time, they decorate the living room with socks.  ok, so now I leave them where they can find them, but it really is too funny to come home and see the socks...I just went to breakfast this morning and came home to 10 socks strewn throughout the livingroom.

Highlight - Realizing that I am happy living in Sioux City and finding my dream home....getting it and moving in etc will have to be on next years list.

Lowlight - having to tell my neighbor I'm moving. It took me 2 1/2 weeks to get up the nerve to tell her and I'm only moving a mile away!

I really didn't have too many low lights - there are people who died and problems that came up at home and at work, but without these things happening, I don't think I'd appreciate the happy times and the good people who are still very much alive and in my life.

For me, 2005 was a lot about finding more balance in my life, putting music and creativity back into my life, getting back in touch with old friends, and making new friends.   Overall, 2005 was good for me and I'm hoping for an even better 2006.

Tomovoz

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2005, 11:48:29 AM »

Happy New Year everyone. It is nearly 7.00am on January 1st here.

I did not like most of 2005.  2006 WILL be better.

My computer needs a serious overhaul and is having lots of problems.  I may be missing from cyberspace for a few weeks.  I shall certainly be truant for the period January 10 until January 18 approx as shall be
 away from computer access.

My highlight of 2005 was finding myself to be still alive.
Saying goodbye to me dear friend Derek was the lowest.  HHW has helped me cope with so much over this past year.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2005, 01:03:52 PM »

New Years Eve greetings.  We are back from our overnight trip to Indianapolis.

It was delightful to meet JRand, and unexpected.  Our friend Matthew called the store and we were told that he would not be working until today.  After jaunting around the city for a few hours, we decided it would be fun to drop off a little something to surprise him when he came into work the next day.  And then there he was!  It was great to meet him in person.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2005, 01:04:28 PM »

Happy new year Tomovoz- hope this year is better for you.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2005, 01:07:58 PM »

Good afternoon!

Fairly warm out for December (59 degrees to be exact), but the gray clouds have not left us all day long.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2005, 01:10:48 PM »

I did finish DOCTOR ZHIVAGO this afternoon. This is one LONG movie. So long, in fact, that I had forgotten some major plot events during the many years since I had seen it last (on laserdisc).

The quality of the disc continued to astonish. Amazing how good a movie made 40+ years ago can look. The image is as sharp as anything coming out now on DVD apart from those which have been filmed digitally. Truly, I didn't see a blemish, scratch, or spot of an kind on this transfer.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2005, 01:13:43 PM »

I also finished the CSI: NY episode I started last night.

I also watched another one, this one dealing with a sleep walker found leaning over the body of a just stabbed woman. A really interesting episode. A second case dealt with a man killed by a head trauma but also with his face half burned off. This involved something the show said there were several of in NYC: pizza parlors serving as fronts for sports betting. Who knew?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2005, 01:13:44 PM »

We are going to a Soup Party. I am taking beef barley vegetable soup, cheesy potato soup, and a pumpkin cake.

We will probably celebrate until the wee hour of 9 p.m., at which time we'll come home and probably go to bed.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2005, 01:15:58 PM »

I have no plans to "leave the building" tonight. I may make myself a hot toddie or some hot chocolate to christen the new year, but really have no desire to be around a crowd of noisy, inebriated people braving the cold waiting for midnight. Even when I had a partner, I always preferred to stay home on New Year's Eve.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2005, 01:17:38 PM »

On the TOD:

Highlight: Joining this site and the wonderful friendships and get togethers that have followed.

Lowlight/Highlight: The anxiety and questioning I experienced while over the decision to leave my job and pursue my education full time- and the support and encouragement I received from my friends and loved ones while making the decision.

Lowlight: Leaving Disney on such bad terms with my boss.  I'm still upset over how she screwed me over and I kind of wish that I had stood up for myself and made some noise.

Highlight: The fact that my internship is such a great fit, I love what I'm doing and am 100% confident that I made the right choice and am on the right path.  I have found my calling.

Lowlight: The mother f*&%$*^% transit strike!

Highlight: Adopting Walty!

Lowlight: My estranged father's poor health- putting me in a position where I have to decide whether to open myself back up to him and a harmful relationship I had put in the past.

Highlight: My 27th birthday.  I received an outpouring of gifts, good wishes and cheer from so many friends and co-workers.  It was such a special day, and a great reminder of how surrounded by love I am.  It makes me look forward to my 28th birthday in a few weeks!

There were a number of losses and tragedies which caused me to feel quite sad, but also helped me to have greater appreciation for what I have.  All in all, a pretty good year and I'm looking forward to the next.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2005, 01:20:02 PM »

Dinner with five friends in an hour and then we're seeing the new Judi Dench-Bob Hoskins film.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2005, 01:24:36 PM »

I have SERENITY cued up in the DVD player to watch tonight. I really enjoyed the FIREFLY TV series it was an offshoot of, so I'm looking forward to this movie. I did not see it in the theater.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2005, 01:28:45 PM »

DR TPunk, when do you and Rodzinski return?  We have to see TRANSAMERICA.

I just returned from purchasing a new CD player.  I was going to buy a new DVD player as well, but none of the major electronic stores on the upper West Side betwee 68th and 87th Street had any in stock!  Damn!  There went a 2005 tax write-off.  If that damned Frangoulis money had come through in the past four weeks, I wouldn't be bitching about it.  I'd be bitching about something else.

I wanted to wish all the DRs who seem to have found lives away from the site a happy 2006, namely DRs Jay, Stuart, Noel, Panni, Joey, Swishy Sarah, Maya, Hisaka, Lulu, Iris, Bevan, and how many others?  I wish them all well and hope to see them again at HHW!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2005, 01:32:09 PM »

Hey!  We're havin' a partay here.  Off the butt cheeks and let's do the Lambada (The Forbidden Dance).

Yes, as Jose posted, I suppose I am as strange as anyone - I have my little idiosynchrasies and I'm happy to have them.  In fact, I thrive on them.  When I opened this jernt back in November of 2001 I had no idea what it would become.  It has, in fact, become one of the finest websites on all the Internet, and that is because of our dear readers and the kind of interesting, different folks who think of this as their home away from home.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up