Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FIRST PREVIEW  (Read 24723 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE FIRST PREVIEW
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2006, 11:36:08 AM »

Yes MR BK - they are 1.33:1   None of them were filmed in a widescreen process were they?

Just Rev. SexyPants - as proclaimed by DR DtM will do.

Thanks for the album info, DR RODZINSKI.....I wonder how the covers were described to Maestro Shearing?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2006, 11:41:25 AM »

George Shearing performed in my hometown when I was a kid. He was wonderful.  He was in the middle of nowhere at the time, but he was wonderful

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2006, 11:47:36 AM »

While I've never seen the movie of "Man of La Mancha", the musical always leaves me wondering... does he die?  Or is he released?  

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]SPOILER ALERT!!![/move]

Alonso Quijana dies, Don Quixote de la Mancha lives forever and Cervantes is let go.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2006, 11:47:51 AM »

Oh, DRJANE - are you ever right....if you fall in love with a Cartwright, make sure your insurance is paid up!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2006, 11:47:54 AM »

JR, we are more brethren-ly than ever.  I have just been ordained in ULC as well.  Anyone wanna get married?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2006, 11:49:19 AM »

My favorite clickable on their site was the "Instant Absolution from Sin."  What about "instant absolution from guilt"?  :) :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2006, 11:49:38 AM »

I wanted to explain something that George commented on after listening to the Radio Wales program.

We were talking about Chita Rivera and then Beverley played America from West Side Story but she played the soundtrack w/Rita Moreno, not Chita. I was surprised as well but I then found out that the library does not have as many cast recordings as one would hope. The only West Side Story CD Beverley had was the soundtrack. I had wondered in the past when she played certain shows why those tracks were chosen, for instance, when she plays Trouble from Music Man, she always plays the Van Johnson London recording (not very good IMHO). It's because the library doesn't have a copy of the Broadway cast. After trolling in HMV and other record stores in Ireland, Cardiff and London, I realize that cast recordings are hard to get. You can shop at Dress Circle but otherwise the pickings are slim. We also don't see the number of used CD stores that we have in the U.S. Stores like Academy in New York (and Footlight before the physical store closed) and Cheapo in Minneapolis have been the source of much of my collection. I just don't see those kind of stores in Europe. Maybe I should move there and open a store. I can be a successful entrepreneur. Yeah, that's the ticket :-)

Ben, I added a bonus track...Chita's "America." ;) You can delete it from the copies that you send out, but I just had to do it. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2006, 11:50:46 AM »

Re: last night's MEDIUM

spoilers included.

....I liked how her older daughter could see the villain and how that played into the story....

I thought it was interesting that the older daughter didn't know/couldn't tell that he wasn't who she thought he was!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2006, 11:51:16 AM »

DR JMK - if nothing else, The Church of Frances Farmer will have great singing and dancing.

Don't forget to add your name to the directory!

INSTANT absolution!  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2006, 12:03:39 PM »

Oh, DRJANE - are you ever right....if you fall in love with a Cartwright, make sure your insurance is paid up!

Hmmm...statistically speaking, one of them Cartwright boys might have been gay.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2006, 12:06:48 PM »

DR JMK - if nothing else, The Church of Frances Farmer will have great singing and dancing.

Don't forget to add your name to the directory!

INSTANT absolution!  

Where is the directory?  I think I saw a hyperlink in my travels, but now I can't find it (of course).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2006, 12:07:33 PM »

Joy!!!

An Unmarried Woman has arrived!  (Though I wish they had used the original poster art for the DVD cover and not this mock-up with Jill Clayburgh in an unattractive and awkward pose.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2006, 12:20:26 PM »

Fine the link in blue that says Register Here and click!  8)

After I put in my information, I decided I should put in the address and phone number of the Bookstore and NOT my home address, etc.  It should be corrected in a day or two.

So only put in an address, etc, that you want included in your profile.  If you don't want the information on the net - don't put your name in the directory.   :P

http://www.ulc.org/?destination=Directory

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2006, 12:21:24 PM »

DR DtM - your reaction is the exact opposite of mine when I find An Unmarried Woman at my front door.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2006, 12:22:17 PM »

My money is on Adam who ran away to Australia never to be heard from again (except for a couple of letters).  ::)

MBarnum

« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2006, 12:22:59 PM »

And according to Mr. Cal Bolder, one of them was!

JMK

« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2006, 12:28:54 PM »

My money is on Adam who ran away to Australia never to be heard from again (except for a couple of letters).  ::)

Well now we know why TomofOz keeps shouting "Ride 'em, cowboy."  (Sorry, couldn't resist).

JMK

« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2006, 12:36:40 PM »

New meaning to the term couch potato department:

Woman Dead Since 2003 Left Sitting at TV
By TERRY KINNEY, AP

CINCINNATI (Jan. 10) - The mummified body of a woman who didn't want to be buried was found in a chair in front of her television set 2 1/2 years after her death, authorities said.

Johannas Pope had told her live-in caregiver that she didn't want to be buried and planned on returning after she died, Hamilton County Coroner O'Dell Owens said Monday.

Pope died in August 2003 at age 61. Her body was found last week in the upstairs of her home on a quiet street. Some family members continued to live downstairs, authorities said. No one answered the doorbell at Pope's home Monday afternoon.

It could take weeks to determine Pope's cause of death because little organ tissue was available for testing, Owens said.

An air conditioner had been left running upstairs, and that allowed the body to slowly mummify, he said. The machine apparently stopped working about a month ago, and the body began to smell.

"Standing outside, one could smell death," Owens said.

Police went to the house last Wednesday after receiving a call from a relative who hadn't seen Pope in years. They found a staircase behind a door blocked by a basket and climbed to the second floor, where they found the body.

It was not clear if any crimes were committed, Owens said.

Authorities did not identify the caregiver, a women in her 40s who apparently lived in the home with Pope, Pope's daughter and her 3-year-old granddaughter.

"The caregiver is not someone you'd think was from another planet or really seems off the wall - (she's) a pretty normal kind of person," he said. "But I think out of loyalty, friendship and love of her friend, (she) decided to keep the body at home."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2006, 12:43:54 PM »

JR, we are more brethren-ly than ever.  I have just been ordained in ULC as well.  Anyone wanna get married?

Are you asking me this because I'm a lesbian?

If Jack is Rev. Sexypants are you Rev Magicfingers?

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2006, 01:01:16 PM »

Only one?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2006, 01:19:51 PM »

Started the afternoon watching last night's CSI: MIAMI. Very colorful episode that featured a seminar for men teaching them techniques for picking up women. One of the participants gets himself killed. Interesting premise and a surprise murderer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2006, 01:24:09 PM »

I thought it was interesting that the older daughter didn't know/couldn't tell that he wasn't who she thought he was!

The entire psychic phenomenon is very new to her. She's experimented with predicting the future, but I'm not sure she's had these kinds of encounters before. Even Allison struggles with handling them, so it didn't surprise me that the daughter was taken in. And, of course, the director let the audience in on the charade by show her talking to no one.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2006, 01:26:49 PM »

I taped last night's "Medium" -- just way too sleepy to stay up.

I enjoyed "Out of Practice" and "Two and a Half Men"...as well as "Surface".

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2006, 01:31:18 PM »

The entire psychic phenomenon is very new to her. She's experimented with predicting the future, but I'm not sure she's had these kinds of encounters before. Even Allison struggles with handling them, so it didn't surprise me that the daughter was taken in. And, of course, the director let the audience in on the charade by show her talking to no one.

Matt... I fell asleep before Medium started.. any chance you could send me a copy? If its too much trouble, please  don't bother   -  I am sure to catch the rerun in a couple of months   :D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2006, 01:32:16 PM »

Then, I watched AFTER THE SUNSET which I recorded off STARZ. It's a cat and mouse caper film with FBI agent Woody Harrelson trying to trap super thief Pierce Brosnan as he goes after Napoleon's third diamond from the hilt of his sword.

TOPKAPI and GAMBIT have nothing to fear from this caper-lite confection. The heists weren't all that interesting, and Salma Hayak, who struggles mightily with her accent when trying to speak English, was a beautiful but bland love interest.

Pierce Brosnan goes through the entire movie with a salt and pepper 10 o'clock shadow which does not add to his allure but rather makes him look like a cradle robber. I know he wanted to leave his Bond image behind. but why one of the world's handsomest men would want to look like the homeless is beyond me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2006, 01:33:08 PM »

New meaning to the term couch potato department:

Woman Dead Since 2003 Left Sitting at TV
By TERRY KINNEY, AP

CINCINNATI (Jan. 10) - The mummified body of a woman who didn't want to be buried was found in a chair in front of her television set 2 1/2 years after her death, authorities said.  

My guess is that she was watching the WB.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2006, 01:33:57 PM »

Details, please.  Enquiring minds want to know.  8)

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2006, 01:34:25 PM »

Matt... I fell asleep before Medium started.. any chance you could send me a copy? If its too much trouble, please  don't bother   -  I am sure to catch the rerun in a couple of months   :D

I watched it "live" and didn't record it on the DVR. I'm so sorry. You're right. It will repeat at some point this season. But I'd have been happy to make you a copy if I had recorded it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2006, 01:35:53 PM »

DR JMK:

Thank you so much for Betsy's Chard w/Pasta, Walnuts & Brown Butter recipe.

It looks scrumdiddlyumptious!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2006, 01:36:46 PM »

Ended my afternoon viewing with more MAN OF LA MANCHA. Thanks for the updates on the ending, but "this ain't my first time at the rodeo." (a MOMMIE DEAREST reference).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up