Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: COGENT  (Read 19792 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:COGENT
« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2006, 09:02:59 PM »

Best of luck, MBarnum!!  ~~~Vibes!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2006, 09:03:23 PM »

DR Jane, with the furnace turned off I don't think there is any danger...but you know what...it is getting very cold in here! LOL! I think I shall go to bed and get under many covers very soon.

And thanks Tom for the goodwill offer! I guess Freddy will have to fill in for you!

How about knocking on the door of your hunky neighbor?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~  Vibes of Warmth for you  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #242 on: January 11, 2006, 09:04:59 PM »

I'm gonna go for a while.  "Lost" just started!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #243 on: January 11, 2006, 09:05:15 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  LIBRARY JOB VIBES FOR DR JED  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #244 on: January 11, 2006, 09:07:29 PM »

Vibes to MBarnum, Jed, Vixmom and anyone else in need!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #245 on: January 11, 2006, 09:09:35 PM »

My first NY HHW dinner was at Barrymore's.  I wish I could join you for the last one there.

Me too - that's where I met many of the NY HHWers as well as Danise and Ginny

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #246 on: January 11, 2006, 09:10:16 PM »

Tonight I watched THE BIG HEAT on TCM.  What a potboiler!  Wives blown up!  Scarfaced women!  Gunfights on highrise apartment terraces!  My kind of movie!
-- Anaïs Nin

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2006, 09:11:14 PM »

I get THE BIG HEAT confused with THE BIG COMBO.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #248 on: January 11, 2006, 09:12:06 PM »

In honor of JRand, tonight's cover is my favorite Kirby Stone Four cover...

Cillaliz

« Reply #249 on: January 11, 2006, 09:13:24 PM »

DR Cillaliz - I think a trip to NYC would fix you right up!

I wish!   No, I have many many things to do and must be packed and moved. I'm hoping to be in by Feb 10, which isn't very long from now.  It's a good thing I'm not heading to LA on Friday, as sick as I've been it wouldn't be pretty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #250 on: January 11, 2006, 09:14:44 PM »

I get THE BIG HEAT confused with THE BIG COMBO.

Then you'll want to be very careful if you get hot coffee with your combo.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jed

« Reply #251 on: January 11, 2006, 09:15:44 PM »

Many thanks for all the vibes!  Hopefully I'll have good news to share sometime late next week.  If not, well, there're always more standardized tests to score.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #252 on: January 11, 2006, 09:19:56 PM »

Well... I believe it's time for me to head to the Land of the Wussburgers...  I'm already sleepy, and I do want to get up "early" in order to take care of my banking and mail before heading out for my run in the morning.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2006, 09:21:22 PM »

I don't know the exact year but it's from the 1930s. It was my father's radio. We both loved the medium, even though I was not old enough to really remember the programs he listened to as a kid. When he died (in 1993) it was the only thing I wanted. He died from lung cancer and we knew it was terminal (he lived for six months) so he decided to get his affairs in order and he wrote a will in pen on a piece of notebook paper. We had spoken a week or so before he did this and I remember when we spoke he asked if there was anything I wanted (he was in Minnesota with the rest of the family and I was in NY). I said that the only thing I wanted was the radio. I didn't know this at the time but my younger brother had also asked for the radio (he's 10 years younger than me). My sister, who was his primary caretaker during the illness, told me this about 10 years after he died. He spoke with Leslie (my sister) and told her that even though John asked first that he was giving me the radio, not because I was the older one but because by that time I had lived in NY for 13 years but even before that, after I had moved out I was the only one who didn't come to him for money or help. I was determined to survive (especially in NY) on my own and I never would have thought to ask for financial help. I guess it impressed him because he left me the radio. I didn't get it to NY until 1997. I looked into shipping it but because it's so fragile (it's still got tubes and those puppies are hard to find) it became a very expensive prospect. In '97 Anthony and I decided to drive to Minnesota that summer (it was the first time Anthony met my six brothers and sisters) so we could get the radio back to NY. It was quite a trip. He met my crazy relatives and passed inspection (I think they like him more than they like me) and we have the radio. It still works mostly, but I don't listen to it often. The Short and Medium Wave doesn't work but the AM and what is now FM do work. Sometimes on a Saturday night I will turn it on, have a cup of coffee and listen to Garrison Keillior and Prairie Home Companion. Brings back memories.

And that, dear Jane, is the story behind the radio.

What a wonderful story!   I love Prairie Home Companion, but then I am living on the Prairie.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #254 on: January 11, 2006, 09:27:36 PM »

BIG HEAT is terrific!  My kind of movie too!

Cillaliz

« Reply #255 on: January 11, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »

Big Heat is what MBarnum needs tonight!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #256 on: January 11, 2006, 09:37:37 PM »

True DRMATTH!

Thanks for the album cover, DR RODZINSKI....I don't have that one.

Yes, DR DtM - and it has my favorite Bobbie Jo - Lori Saunders!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #257 on: January 11, 2006, 09:38:32 PM »

THE BIG HEAT - whew!  Lee Marvin is very good looking in this movie, and Gloria Grahame is a real dame....

Yea, watch out for that coffee!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #258 on: January 11, 2006, 09:39:13 PM »

What a wonderful story!   I love Prairie Home Companion, but then I am living on the Prairie.

....and all the children are above average!  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #259 on: January 11, 2006, 09:39:29 PM »

Time for to go to bed.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2006, 09:50:52 PM »

Winken and Blinken are calling for me, too.

'night, all!
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #261 on: January 11, 2006, 11:01:46 PM »

The Big Heat is one of the greats, and one of Mr. Lang's finest.

Back from our show.  We ended up with about forty people, so it was quite nice.  The show, as I'll talk about more in the notes, was very strange - Matt had quite a difficult time tonight, forgetting lines, paraphrasing, and just seeming a bit at sea, but he's been so wonderful the past few nights it was bound to happen and I'm glad he got it out of his system early.  It threw everyone off a little, but the audience seemed to eat it all up anyway, which I found very gratifying.  More later after I eat my little snackarooni.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #262 on: January 11, 2006, 11:20:24 PM »

Well, I tell yuz, it's a very good show. My friend Bill and I went tonight, and were thoroughly entertained. One twist after another... a heart-stopping, eye-popping, be-bopping scene left the whole audience literally gasping - lots of ol' folks in the audience tonight, whose pacemakers got a workout. Little old couple two rows behind us, discussing the play through the whole intermission - could he... no, but then.... and how could someone... it was great. Then, after the show, another old couple right behind us: She: where has this played before? He: no, this is a world premiere. She: it is? He: yes, it's never played anywhere. She: well, it's better than everything else out there. He: I think so too.

And I do hope that, in the next 8 weeks, as many of yuz as can get here, can get here to see this play. It'll knock yer sox off.

Oh, Bruce, I'm so proud of you. Plants. One beside the table, a hanging plant, maybe a standing ficus or other type of indoor tree right beside the sound system thingy. A shawl or couch blanky over that white chair, and more color for the couch pillows. Otherwise, it's ALL THERE!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #263 on: January 11, 2006, 11:23:24 PM »

And a small rug under the coffee table. Sucker just needs to look more lived in. Like a woman lives there. Where the hell is your set design person??? Anyway, these fixes would just be Props, wouldn't they...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #264 on: January 11, 2006, 11:24:25 PM »

And you're right - I did LOVE the opening word!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #265 on: January 11, 2006, 11:25:06 PM »

And, as might be expected, I LOVED the line: "I could eat a lot!" which sounded SO familiar...
PennyO
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up