Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE END OF THE GLORIOUS WEEKEND  (Read 20237 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE END OF THE GLORIOUS WEEKEND
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2003, 06:45:59 PM »

You must go to chat and hear what Maya thought about John Stamos!  She said his performance [active verb]s.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2003, 06:50:43 PM »

DR Jay --

By the way, listen carefully during the Mahler, and tell me if you can hear an organ part in it.  If so, my concert manager (who is also the rep for the Allen Organ Co.) installed it at the new Disney Hall.  The pipe organ won't be finished until well into next year.

Also, are you interested in going to the Christmas concert at San Sylmar on Friday, Dec. 12th?   If so, let me know......I know the guy playing.   ;)

There is no organ part in the Mahler's 10th Adagio, though there is a passage where Mahler uses the orchestra to make organ-like sounds.  There is an organ part, however, in Mahler's 2nd Symphony, which I heard in the new hall a few weeks ago.  There was a console on the stage; I assumed it was an electronic organ.  (Or, as you multi-rank keyboardists like to call them, an appliance.)

I would love to hear you on the 12th at San Sylmar.  Unfortunately, I have a conflicting obligation that I cannot change, so it's just not in the cards.  Please do keep me apprised of future appearances in the L.A. area, though, as I really would like to see/hear you perform.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2003, 06:53:20 PM »

Does anyone remember what day Bruce posted a picture of him with Dorothy Loudon and Claibe Richardson at Joe Allen's. I need the information of the names of the guys standing. I know one is the lyricist (I think on the left) but not sure who the one of the right is.

Thanks

It was Todd Ellison, a well respected music director.

Jay

« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2003, 07:05:25 PM »

It was Todd Ellison, a well respected music director.

Old news.  Serves me right for responding before reading subsequent posts.

Jay

« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2003, 07:11:00 PM »

Regarding the pipe organ at the Walt Disney Concert Hall:  It's true that the organ will not make its official debut until well into 2004.  I believe there is an organists' convention in July when it will be first played for a public audience, and I imagine that the L.A. Philharmonic will program a goodly number of pieces that highlight the organ in its 2004-2005 season, as well as schedule a series of recitals.

But a few weeks ago, soon after the hall opened, some muckety-muck on the LA Phil board of directors got married at WDCH, and the organ was played.  (It was the wedding march from Lohengrin, natch.)  Though the instrument is still being tuned, that wedding marked the organ's unofficial debut.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2003, 07:20:51 PM »

Really was not at all surprised about the mediocrity of John Stamos. Saw him in the HOW TO SUCCEED revival, and he was not very good in it either. Didn't really seem to get the satire of the show, and his voice wasn't very interesting to listen to.

I have one old piece of sheet music which I will go search out in a minute. I know it's in really rough shape, however, unlike the pristine copies you guys have been scanning on here tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2003, 07:38:33 PM »

Here it is, circa 1942:

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2003, 07:51:08 PM »

There are definate signs that I'm in a different place.  Currently, the signs are all about Christmas.

On the Left Coast, it's quite common to see Christmas coming.  The decorations pop up immediately after Thanksgiving, if not (and more frequently) sooner.

On the Right Coast, however, Christmas is not just seen, it is heard.  In every store, the music is constant carols, and nothing but.  This can be opressive, especially if one is muzak-aware, as I tend to be.

One bit of good news was at the Roadhouse Steak House, on Highway One.  The theme there is country/western, as is the music, and they're not playing country Christmas the entire time.  One carol per every five songs seems to satisfy them.  (Their potato skins stuffed with crab and shrimp, topped with Parmesan, was satisfyingly yummilicious.)

The other bit of good news was the tree-lighting ceremony and carol-sing last Friday night.  Der Brucer and I hit the tail end of the event, and were surprised by the size of the crowd, well over a thousand people.  This in a town that year-round is only supposed to have a population of two thousand.  Obviously, that's changing, but that a thousand would turn out for a tree-lighting is something special in itself, in my book.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2003, 08:02:04 PM »

Whoops I fell asleep and missed chat and now I have to go back to bed and sleep again so I can go to work tomorrow.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2003, 08:06:57 PM »

This is an excuse, this falling asleep?  Shame on you!

Chat, however, is still going on, so no more excuses, get your bum in there.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2003, 08:07:01 PM »

Chat room is still open...for now!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2003, 08:12:37 PM »

I have a piece of sheet music from THE SOUND OF MUSIC that reads "Martha Wright in THE SOUND OF MUSIC."

Martha Wright took over as Maria when Mary Martin left the original company, but I thought that was odd that they'd replace Mary's much more recognizable name with her replacement on the music.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2003, 08:22:43 PM »

Well, I'm turning in a little early tonight, earlier than usual, that is. Hope everyone enjoyed the chat, and will meet back on the forum tomorrow ready for some more postin'.

Good night.

Jay

« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2003, 08:36:35 PM »

It occurs to me that there are at least three performance editions of Mahler's 10th Symphony that I know of, and an organ might be used in one of the editions that was not played today.

Jay

« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2003, 08:38:57 PM »

I'm doing my best to make substantive comment while making my way to senior membership on this here forum.

No vanity posts for me, no siree.

I just had some lasagne for dinner.

That's substantive, isn't it?

Jay

« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2003, 08:44:09 PM »

I'm wearing a blue, lilac and white checked shirt, bluejeans (dungarees, where I come from, though my grandmother, blessed be her memory, used to call them "kangaroos"), a white t-shirt, white boxers, white athletic socks and black oxford shoes.

That's substantive, too, isn't it, Dear Readers?  And this post should bring me to the summit.

(Only thing is, once you get to the top of the mountain, whaddaya see but another mountain.  Godship, here I come!)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2003, 08:55:26 PM »

Jay:  That's all substantive enough for me, especially the lasagne.  I hope it was made with beef and was not a vegetarian lasagna.  While I like the vegetarian variety, I think beef has more substantive value!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2003, 08:56:21 PM »

And OH! MY! Gosh!  I'm just 8 posts away from 800!

Shall I go slowly and let it happen, or run amok and do one-lined wonders?

(Like this one)!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 08:56:41 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2003, 08:59:15 PM »

Chat is most definitely and sincerely over.

I went there and found myself alone.

I've been alone in crowds, but this was isolationism!

Guess everybody moseyed on....

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2003, 09:23:40 PM »

The complete "Mister Monotony" is also a bonus feature on the EASTER PARADE laserdisc.  I LOVE the song. I think the fact that its monotonous tonal quality reflects the nature of the lyrics is INSPIRED.

Perhaps we could start a Vegas-style medley combining MISTER MONOTONY and JOHNNY ONE-NOTE?  Any additional selections?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2003, 09:25:50 PM »

You will NOT believe it - I could barely believe it myself.  They are, right this minute, prepping a movie shoot one-half block from my home environment.  How annoying - big trucks, big lights - I'm sure it will be lovely trying to get out of here in the morning.

Jay

« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2003, 09:31:16 PM »

With all the talk today about Irving Berlin, I don't think anyone mentioned my favorite Berlin song, and one of my favorite songs period:  "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep."  It's a song particularly apropos to this time of year.

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2003, 09:32:53 PM »

"It's A Bore".(Gigi) and "Being Boring" (The Pet Shop Boys). OK I know they really would not work in a Vegas medley but he titles sprang to mind quickly and the Pet Shop Boys have written for the theatre.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2003, 09:53:37 PM »

I feel a song coming on.

Jed

« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2003, 10:46:17 PM »

Perhaps we could start a Vegas-style medley combining MISTER MONOTONY and JOHNNY ONE-NOTE?  Any additional selections?

One Note Samba
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2003, 10:54:28 PM »

Well, we made it through our marathon of set construction.  And the result... we have a set.  Structurally, at least.  Now in dire need of painting and such, but that shall be all finished up by Tuesday's dress rehearsal.  We squeezed an amazing amount of lumber onto a small stage, in the form of many oddly-shaped little platforms on 5 different levels, a 6-foot revolve, and a 10-foot revolve.  Fun fun fun!  

Dry tech tomorrow night, so a night off for us actor types, then 3 dress rehersals into Friday's opening.  Will be nice to finally get this thing in front of an audience.

Sorry to have missed chat, but pretty sure I should make it next week.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jennifer

« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2003, 11:04:23 PM »

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been around much today.  The scary thing is it is very late now and I am WIDE AWAKE. Not good.

I did indeed have blueberry pancakes today. And they were so good.  And there are leftovers. So I will have some tomorrow too.

Went to the most bizarre L'Oreal warehouse sale today.  Most of these warehouse sales here are open to the public and get people. But not tons of people. This particular one was by invitation only. They were very strict. You had to have your invitation. You could only bring one other person. You could only spend $500. And you could only buy certain amounts of each item.

Now with all these restrictions you would think there not been many people there. OMG, it was crazy. I have never in my life seen so many people. My mom and I could not find a space to park. We had to walk a long way. And when we got there we could not believe our eyes. There were literally thousands of people. So many that you could barely get anywhere near the products.

They had great deals. The Maybelline concealer stick I usually buy for about $10Cdn was $2. I love those prices. Nail polish was $.75 or $1.50.  All in all it was fun.  Any my sis came over for breakfast and ended up
staying till 5pm.

Happy December 1st everyone.

Btw, was that an AMAZING Alias or what?  There must be a way that we can talk about this show, but not spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it (be vague or put huge spoiler warnings).

I won't spoil. But wow, wow, wow. I cannot wait to find out what happened at the end!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up