Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE END OF THE GLORIOUS WEEKEND  (Read 20410 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE END OF THE GLORIOUS WEEKEND
« on: November 30, 2003, 12:20:09 AM »

Now that you've read the notes, now that you've digested the notes, now that the notes are firmly embedded in your collective psyches, you may post until the cows come home.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 12:09:50 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:THE END OF THE GLORIOUS WEEKEND
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 12:32:58 AM »

Chat is tonight?  Darn.  I'm forever losing track of which night chat is from week to week, and had hoped it was Monday, but oh well.  I'll be off building a set... hope all y'all have a grand ol' time!  After this show opens on Friday I should have better luck being able to attend chats.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 12:40:59 AM »

I have a question:

Why not just post "Today's Column" as the first message each day?  The entire daily forum bears the subject of the column, which is the same thing as subject of a thread.

What is the purpose of having a separate place to go to read BK's column when the first message always exhorts us to read said column and then post away?

Just asking......
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 12:45:00 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Sigerson Holmes

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 01:56:15 AM »

Having properly digested the notes, I'm inspired to suggest this gastronomic topic o' the day . . .

For years I've been reading about BK's "various and sundried foodstuffs," and I've often wondered: how various ARE these sundried foodstuffs?  There must be many, but the only one I can think of offhand is sundried tomatoes, which I've had mostly in pasta, and a couple of times in a mozzarella and pesto sauce sandwich on focaccia bread.

I guess prunes and raisins would also be considered sundried, although they aren't as often referred to in that manner.

So, fellow Dear Readers, what are YOUR favorite sundried foodstuffs?

(A subtopic: how many of you did I fool into thinking that I seriously don't know what "sundried" means?)
It's not who you know.  It's whom you know.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2003, 05:15:25 AM »

TCB wrote:
I, of course, saw The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (released in Great Britain as The Bumpershoots of Berlin).  I also went and saw The 400 Blows, but I was disappointed because it wasn’t about what I thought it would be about.

So, I guess I would have to say that my favorite French film was the original, Diabolique,

You made me laugh (with Bumpershoots of Berlin) and then Shudder (with memories of Diabolique).

One of Emily's proposal songs, something about Someone To Fall Back On - I'm not familiar with this title.

I think worst Berlin song is a fine topic.  Currently, I'm in a stew about Falling Out of Love Can Be Fun.  But Homework is probably worse.

Do you guys know the parody of Always that mentions Paul Whiteman?  I'm away from my books, so I wouldn't be able to publish that today, but if someone else has it, it's cherce.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 06:21:05 AM »

TOM-

Congrats to the Land of OZ and their Sterling Win.

Did you and Colin watch the Finals?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 06:22:02 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 06:27:36 AM »

Oh My!!! How could I forget Diabolique!!!! Better than any of its two American remakes!!!

Which reminds me of a Hollywood legend. A woman wrote a letter to Alfred Hitchcock. " Dear Sir. After seeing Diabolique my daughter refused to take a bath. Now after seeing Psycho see refuses to take a shower. What should I do?

His reply was: Have her dry cleaned.
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 06:40:48 AM »

TCB makes me laugh too. That 400 Blows comment was priceless.

Btw, I am so proud. It is so hard to decipher tone on the internet. But I did indeed know that there was no way that DR Laura had bought those tacky inflatable people she is gonna show us a picture of today.  :)

I wish I could find a picture of the ones we have here. They are so cute. And you could decide for yourselves if you think they are tacky!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 06:45:43 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2003, 06:47:41 AM »

Um, DR Noel can you write me a song called "I am the most pathetic person here"?  Gosh I used to preview all the time. Now I just come back and modify and re-modify! How many errors should one person find?

I guess I can see, by the amount of posts that are modified :)

Happy Sunday all.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 07:13:28 AM »

If you prefer to have religious decorations, there is always the ever-popular light-up nativity, complete with a flashing star.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2003, 07:20:14 AM »

I must use my DeepDiscountDVD discount!  I know what I will order.  Hopefully they will let me use it to get THIS IS YOUR LIFE!

Hmmmmmmmm.....Irving Berlin wrote some songs I don't like, hmmmm....and since I only know SOME of his songs, I don't have a lot to choose from.   I will have to study on this.

Sunday....back to work tomorrow!  :P

DR MBarnum, glad YOUR pic is back up!  With that famous star of the screen Miss Carolyn Keany!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2003, 07:32:25 AM »

About half of "Mister Monotony" was presented in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT III, edited in the usual way the musical numbers are edited for the TE films. If you got the director's cut boxed set on laserdisc of TE III, the complete number was there as an extra feature (along with the complete version of "A Lady Loves" from I LOVE MELVIN). The complete "Mister Monotony" is also a bonus feature on the EASTER PARADE laserdisc.

I LOVE the song. I think the fact that its monotonous tonal quality reflects the nature of the lyrics is INSPIRED.

I must also take a different path from bk and DR Charles and state my affection for "Always." I think it's a beautiful, simple song. On the A&E BIOGRAPHY of Irving Berlin, the sad story behind the writing of that song was explained, and it made me like it all the more.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 07:34:02 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2003, 07:39:15 AM »

Sorry I won't be at chat tonight. The adventures of Sydney Bristow are at a crucial moment, a real turning point in her thus far season long adventure to accomplish something (trying to watch what I say for the benefit of those who haven't seen season three yet), and it must be seen in high definition. So, hope everyone enjoys himself tonight and will report of the happenings later tonight or tomorrow.

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2003, 07:42:13 AM »

What is the sad story behind"Always"?  I thought he wrote it for and gave it (and all the royalties to his wife).
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2003, 07:46:52 AM »

DR Jrand, are you going to get THIS IS YOUR LIFE or Groucho's YOU BET YOUR LIFE? THIS IS YOUR LIFE will get you Ralph Edwards telling the life stories of celebrities with guests from their past. I guess he was the forerunner of BIOGRAPHY.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2003, 07:47:10 AM »

DR Laura --

Oh my God, the light-up Nativity is indeed wonderful beyond tackiness.......the baby Jesus comes off looking a little like a Bell Pepper with a cherry tomato stuck on the top of it.  

I loved it !!!  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2003, 07:47:50 AM »

No, it was written on the death of his first wife after they had been together only a very short time.

And, of course, it became his first hit song.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 07:48:34 AM by Matt H. »

MusicGuy

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2003, 07:51:28 AM »

DR Michael S. --

Thank you for the anecdote about the mother and the daughter....I laughed out loud just hearing (in my mind) that wonderful voice of Alfred Hitchcock saying "have her dry-cleaned".   That was terrific !!

Also M.S., .. you need to get a non-grainy, nice and sharp photo for your "left-side I.D." part of the screen.  Such a "pixie punim" as that should have a better pic !!

MusicGuy

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2003, 07:55:22 AM »

DR TCB --

I noticed yesterday that you are also a fan of the movie "Ship Of Fools," as I am.  If you would email me a "snail mail" address for your good self, I'd like to send you a little something that you may enjoy.

MusicGuy

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2003, 08:05:09 AM »

Dear esteemed, well-rested, sybaritic, international, and guapo BK --

The casserole turned out very tasty last night, and we munched a ham chunk in your honor.  However, all of your talk of pancakes also stuck in my head and remained there the rest of the evening.

Of course, you have the option of going to DuPar's and finding superb examples.......and here in the desert wasteland we are lucky enough to have 2 locations of the wonderful Chicago-based "Original Pancake House."  It is of a quality like DuPar's....everything made with real ingredients, and no skimping.  The lightest thing you can find in there is half-and-half, because the batters for the pancakes are made with cream.

What is the correct title (and the releasing company) for the Groucho DVDs of his early TV stuff, that you were watching a little while back?   I think my favorite "skewed" Groucho comment is still  "Lady, I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth once in awhile!"  That was awfully risque stuff for the early fifties, considering what the lead-up was.

Happy Sunday, Poobah-mensch .     8)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2003, 08:10:41 AM »

Good morning...

Well, I'm about to run around, besides and through the house this morning trying to get everything together so I can venture back to Richmond after tonight's show rather than coming back between shows to pack.  The success of my plan my just depend upon how I time the two loads of laundry I need to get done...  Wish me luck!

As for my favorite "sundried foodstuffs", I'm also fond of sundried beef (especially in Vietnamese dried beef salads), and I guess "fleur de sel" could be considered "sundried" too.

Now as for "various" foodstuffs, well, I had many of those last night for dinner and post-dinner.

Well, time for me to get my own non-proverbial buttcheeks in gear.  I'll see you all once I get back to Richmond tonight around 12:30AM EST.  And I'm sure I'll have a plethora of posts to read.  (Sorry I can't make tonight's chat, but I'll be in the middle of "If Ever I Would Leave You" when it starts up.)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2003, 08:27:18 AM »

Least favorite Irving Berlin song? I'm sure it's something from MR. PRESIDENT, but I haven't listened to it in so long that I'd have to drag it out and go through the songs. There are many of them that I remember as being dull.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2003, 08:33:33 AM »

YOU BET YOUR LIFE, of course.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2003, 08:34:54 AM »

For some reason the YOU BET YOUR LIFE box set is NOT listed at deepdiscountdvd!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2003, 08:54:53 AM »

Irving Berlin had many hits prior to Always, such as Alexander's Ragtime Band and Oh, How I Hate To Get Up in the Morning.  I'm not sure your story is exactly right, but I, too, like the song.

There's an annoying Berlin song called The Ocarina, that mentions someone named Wilhemina just for the sake of a rhyme.  She's not mentioned anywhere else.

Who's coming to New York?  I'm sitting here in Pennsylvania reading an article in the Allentwon "Morning Call" called Lullaby Off Broadway about cheap hotels in Manhattan.  They define "cheap" as $150 or less... It's an amusing article, and I'm proud to say that two of the first three hotels mentioned (and quite postively!) are the ones we selected for our wedding guests: The Hotel Beacon, and The Hotel Newton, both on Broadway.
I've not (yet) found this article on-line, so may have to send a hard copy.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2003, 09:06:47 AM »

DR JRand, did you try THIS IS YOUR LIFE at deepdiscountdvd?  :D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2003, 09:26:24 AM »

I just munched a bagel with cream cheese and lox (that's smoked salmon, for the uninitiated amongst you Dear Readers out there in the dark) whilst reading this morning's newspaper.  Isn't that exciting?  Isn't that too too?

I have a concert to attend this afternoon.  It features Mr. Pierre Boulez leading the Los Angeles Philharmonic in the Adagio movement from Gustav Mahler's unfinished 10th Symphony and, after the interval, the second act from Wagner's Parsifal.

A question for Dear Readers:  Alma Mahler led quite a life, marrying Gustav Mahler (a noted composer and conductor), Walter Gropius (a noted architect) and Franz Werfel (a noted poet, playwright and novelist), and dallying romantically, I believe, with other major figures of the day.  I know Tom Lehrer wrote a song about her, but has there ever been a play or movie or opera written about her?  I think she'd make an interesting subject.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 09:27:44 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2003, 09:36:31 AM »

Good morning.

Ron: I don't post the notes here because I like the layout of our true home page.  When we decided to have this board I wanted it to be an adjunct not the home page.  I know people have bookmarked it for during the day, but I like the notes to be where they've always been, on the true haineshisway.com home page.

MusicGuy: The Groucho shows are You Bet Your Life.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2003, 09:37:46 AM »

I believe Alma is a major figure in Mr. Ken Russell's film, Mahler.

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2003, 09:38:57 AM »

And I love the 10th, even though it's been "completed" by, I think, three different completers.

The adagio sounds like Alfred Newman's score to The Diary of Anne Frank.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up