Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GAME IS AFOOT  (Read 26378 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE GAME IS AFOOT
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2003, 03:16:20 PM »

I love her belt and shoes!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2003, 03:16:46 PM »

Finally, ladodgerjon comes out!  Ladodgerjon is my new pal and compatriot here at reality central and is working on the same show as I.  He can also regale you with tales of our various and sundried lunches.  He is currently wearing a baseball shirt.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2003, 03:18:07 PM »

Did you know that if we hit the number of posts we've hit quite a bit in the last week that we could conceivably pass the 10,000 post mark this evening?  We will be having a BIG celebration when that happens, let me tell you THAT.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2003, 03:21:24 PM »

Well, here is my totally superfluous post to help us reach 10,000 posts. I'm ready for the usual celebration food, of course, but could we have some cake, too?   :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2003, 03:22:16 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam, I subscribe to American Theatre Magazine, which also makes me a member of the Theater Communications Group.  AT is the organization's publication.  If you like serious theatre, particularly are interested in what's going on in regional as well as educational theatre, this can be an interesting magazine.  I sometimes feel it can be a bit too erudite, elitest, and arch...and I am an arch, erudite elitest.  Dealing often with off-mainstream playwrights and non-commercial, intellectual bullshit that can sometimes just get too precious. I think it sometimes deals with the aesthetic over the practical.  They usually have a play script published in each issue.  It's usually a play you've never heard of and rarely hear of again.  It also always carries a list of the production doings of all the major regional theatres who are a members of the organization.

For musical mavens or even those just interested in the mainstream commercial theatre, this mag would probably a disappointment.

The TCG organization has the following perks:

10 issues a year of American Theatre

Discounts on tickets to performances at participating theatres

15% discount on resource materials

1o% discount on all book from TCG and select theatre publishers.

Free catalog of publications...and a few other odds and ends.  

Personally, I prefer Plays and Players and Plays International, but they're British with a focus on British Theatre.  American Theate is not however like the old Theatre Week or  even the old Theatre Arts Magazine from the forties thru the sixties.

ladodgerjon

• Unseemly Lunch Date
« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2003, 03:25:18 PM »

Thank you, Maya, for your quick response & greeting! I already feel welcome. Assuming that's your picture, you are LOVELY, to boot, and I can imagine being wholly inappropriate with you!

Do I like baseball? Not in the least... this was the automatic name assigned me by Mr. Kimmel's new internet provider.

I lie. Like a rug.

Yes-- I LOVE baseball... mostly as it is played by those dressed in a "Dodgers" costume. I also like football, when performed by the jugadores de los Steelers Y Trojans del Southern California (Did I completely muck-up my spanglish?? Apologies).

BTW: Did I mention that I've been dining with Mr. Kimmel nearly every lunch hour for the past three weeks?? I honestly belive I could do a "mini unseemly journal" entry every day with my observations from those precious few minutes we share together...

A sample: Mostly I am coerced into a sort of servant boy role... whereas I am the one to phone-in the order, and then made to carry the "yummilicious" (BK's term) foodstuffs from the madding crowd far below and into the confines of the edit bay ("Where magic is made," again, BK's terminology) high atop the skyskraper where we toil for the benefit of those who purchase basic cable fare for their tellys. If allowed, I am sometimes invited to 'sup in' with BK and his harried editor.

Today's lunchtime revelation: our phone order wasn't processed properly, and Bruce was forced to eat his chicken salad sandwich without pickle chips properly inserted between said salad and the bread roll. Instead, a whole pickle spear was lying -- like a dead mackerel -- along the inside edge of the bread roll and chicken salad mix. In a moment of devine inspiration, Senor Kimmel made lemmons from lemonade, bit the bullet, and devoured the spear right along with the rest of the roll's contents... thereby FOOLING his tastebuds into believing they were eating simply (merely??) a girthier pickle chip. The new combination was decreed a winner, and the proclamation uttered, "I'll never have a sandwich any other way!"

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2003, 03:30:06 PM »

*Blushes*  Why thank you, Jon, I'm very flattered!  You are quite charming yourself!  (Hmmm...if you've been lurking a while you've probably realized by now that I'm no slouch with the flirting)!  I can't say I'm really into baseball but I love "Damn Yankees."  Does that count for anything?

Actually, most of it centers around the fact that there are not enough gay and lesbian characters who are portrayed favourable (See the big sleep with Joe Cairo).

So we also read lesbian detective fiction.

My, there is a literary subgenre for everything these days!  Very cool.

Well, I must be off to Sociology class....later!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2003, 03:33:24 PM »

Read some great casting news....Debbie Gravitte is going to be the new Mama Morton!  If Brent stays in longer, this is soo going to give me incentive to go and see Chicago again!

Maya -- That will teach you to run off to New York for the weekend.  Debbie's casting was mentioned over the weekend.  I was under the impression that Brent left the show last month.  Was I incorrect on my hubby's whereabouts?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2003, 03:37:03 PM »

Welcome ladodgerjon. Baseball? Isn't that like cricket but on a differently shaped ground? (I have only been to one cricket game in my life - sport is so not me. I have not even seen "Danm Yankees" but I did suffer throught ALW's "The Beautiful Game")
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2003, 03:37:51 PM »

My mail just arrived... Thank you, DR Tom from Oz!  You are simply too too, good sir!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2003, 03:40:26 PM »

Wearing a baseball shirt?  

JUST a baseball shirt?

My, my, my (that's three mys)!

And a woo-hoo! to boot!

Tomovoz

« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2003, 03:41:06 PM »

If only my male would arrive too. Remember Jed - you wanted to know about the Disco!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2003, 03:42:17 PM »

And somebody better tell Br. Bakalor to abandon the monastery to return posthaste!

Another feller's got Maya blushin'!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 03:43:36 PM by Ron Pulliam »

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2003, 03:44:54 PM »

Welcome to new DR L.A.D.Jon --

First, we simply must come up with a shorter nickname for you....ball-boy is somehow unseemly,  and as to your fetching the lunch-time vittles, "boy-servant" could really get you into the proverbial hot water in some quarters (and dimes too).  So, maybe we can initialize you or think of something more easily typeable.

That said though, WELCOME, WELCOME EVERBODY...... ( a muzzy reference!) and you Jon.  Anyone who sticks up for Tom Selleck has points going already.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2003, 03:44:54 PM »

DR Pogue:  Thank you very much.  You've told me exactly what I needed to know about the magazine!

Regards!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2003, 03:46:18 PM »

Welcome to new DR L.A.D.Jon --

First, we simply must come up with a shorter nickname for you....ball-boy is somehow unseemly,  and as to your fetching the lunch-time vittles, "boy-servant" could really get you into the proverbial hot water in some quarters (and dimes too).  So, maybe we can initialize you or think of something more easily typeable.

That said though, WELCOME, WELCOME EVERBODY...... ( a muzzy reference!) and you Jon.  Anyone who sticks up for Tom Selleck has points going already.

Ya mean somethin' like BAT MAN?  

Or, howeabout "ArtfulDodgerFan"????????
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 03:47:07 PM by Ron Pulliam »

MusicGuy

« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2003, 03:48:09 PM »

DR Ron --

Yes, but wherever there's a Bat Man, there's a ball boy!!

;)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #167 on: December 01, 2003, 03:49:31 PM »

George--how is the Nick and Nora OCR?  I want to get it just for that great cast!

I love the cast and I like the songs as presented on the CD.  It says in the liner notes that the score on the recording is really different than the score that was presented on the stage (all four performances).  They had extended musical sequences that went in and out of the dialog(ue) scenes and they felt that to try and duplicate that for a recording wouldn't really work.  So they reconceived the songs as individual songs (for the most part) and recorded them that way.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MusicGuy

« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2003, 03:52:44 PM »

DR Oz-Tom --

Did Colin come through everything successfully?  And hopefully he is recovering as smoothly as is possible??  I think a "Colin update" would be welcomed here...

(Wipe that vegemite off of your knees, you scampy bear!)   :-X

Jed

« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2003, 03:53:21 PM »

Ha!  I have now truly experienced disco, Tom. :D  Quite the experience, I tell you that!  Will be checking out the Brocklehurst shortly... must head off to the bank and post office first, however.

Danise

« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2003, 03:54:12 PM »

Hi, ladodgerjon.  Happy posting!

I have to tell you all what just happened less than hour ago.  I took the dogs for their walk and as we were walking down the sidewalk beside a busy street a car backfired.  Well, Bear, the terror of Tampa pulled his tail between his legs and looked like he'd been shot!  He then took off down the sidewalk,  pulling me & Brandi for all he was worth.  I swear I heard, "There's no place but HOME!" .  I was laughing my butt off the whole way.

I know I hurt his doggie pride by laughing but I couldn't help myself.   :)

My hero.  I don't know who protects who when we go for a walk.

Today has been a laugh filled one.  I received my copy of Babylon 5 bloopers that I won off of E-bay.  To many funny things to even start to tell about.  

Regarding  pickles--I don't know what happened but I bit into a Checkers hamburger with a pickle that was so sour (or bad--still not sure) that it turned me totally off of pickles on sandwiches for the past year at least.  I always liked them before but now I either try to remember to say no pickles or I pick them off.  Shutter.

Glad all the cookies sold, George.  Had I been there, I would have bought one myself.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jed

« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2003, 03:56:19 PM »

Woohoo!  I'm over 200 posts!  Only 50 to go for another of them nifty little stars!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2003, 03:58:24 PM »

Back from Drama Book Shop...

The Loesser looks great.

EVER AFTER was listed on their computer for a November release which it obviously didn't have.  At least I put a hold on it and they will call me when it comes in.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Tomovoz

« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2003, 04:03:36 PM »

To the absent and truant: Colin has certainly improved and fortunately is back in charge of the kitchen. He posted a note at HHW on Saturday (make that Friday for most of you). He is still on some mild pain killers but the vegemite has helped. At least you can't see the bruises now. I'll try and find his post!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 08:09:17 PM by Tom from OZ »
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2003, 04:07:46 PM »

"Cliff's notes #171" thanks MusicGuy.
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2003, 04:10:54 PM »

Thank you everyone so much for all the hotel suggestions!  I am sorry I couldn't respond to them before now... but school gets in the way of HHW sometimes (unfortunately).

I have tried a ton of what you guys suggested but have found that all of them are either sold out (who goes to NYC for New Year's Eve... oh wait :) ) or WAAAAAYYY out of my price range.

I phoned the tour group that is going from McGill (4 days, 3 nights for $298 including transport) and have decided that if I go - that is the way to do it. :)

This is the hotel they will be using - which IMHO looks very nice.  Has anyone heard anything about it? (oh and Noel... it is unfortunately right smack near Times Square.  But who needs to sleep anyway? :( )

http://www.clarionfifthave.com
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 04:12:31 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2003, 04:14:15 PM »

Well, the first bite of the sandwich was fine.  Subsequent bites were not, but you'll read all about it in tomorrow's notes, which were, of course, written today.   I believe I've phoned in an order or two, and I remember having to schlep all the way to P.F. Chang's by myself to pick up a rather substantial baggy of foodstuffs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2003, 04:15:54 PM »

I'm thinkin' we haz a shot at making the 10,000 by this evening - but if we don't, tomorrow for sure!  That's quite an achievement if you ask me, or even if you don't ask me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2003, 04:20:56 PM »

That hotel's not on Times Square at all.  MUCH more expensive than those suggested in that Morning Call article, but, if you can afford to look out on the library, I'd say go for it.

We live very near the Youth Hostel, which would cost you about a quarter as much...
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2003, 04:23:14 PM »

BTW: Did I mention that I've been dining with Mr. Kimmel nearly every lunch hour for the past three weeks?? I honestly belive I could do a "mini unseemly journal" entry every day with my observations from those precious few minutes we share together...

Definitely welcome!

Well let's take a vote. I'd definitely vote for a daily mini unseemly journal with all the dirt posted here.

And hi DR Andrea!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up