Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GAME IS AFOOT  (Read 26313 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE GAME IS AFOOT
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2003, 07:21:55 PM »

Who is Tony Tale and why is he saying those terrible things about me?

Countdown to 10,000 posts - only 30 or so more to go.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2003, 07:23:39 PM »

My brother just emailed me there might be a possible buyer for my father’s condo.  :o Please send good vibes my way.  If this happens I won’t have to go fix up the place and can stay here enjoying the holidays as they should be enjoyed.

Michael

« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2003, 07:27:49 PM »

Mr Tony Dale asks by proxy can we add  Agents Scully and Mulder and Private Detective Angel
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: December 01, 2003, 07:28:00 PM »

Vibes and xylophones to Jane.

Jane

« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2003, 08:09:57 PM »

I found Queen for a Day.  

Thanks Bruce.

Tomovoz

« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2003, 08:15:50 PM »

Best of Vibes Jane. (...and we bought this little condominium: SS). Hope DR Ann's recital went well (It is so difficult to send vibes on time when it is always tomorrow here). Indeed Jed the artist does indeed reside at this address.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2003, 08:16:43 PM »

I suspect we'd read about more "do-for-me, buy-for-me, lift-me, carry-me" incidents between him and BK if such a journal were to be posted each day! (And Yes, that was most definitely an FG reference!).

That song has resounded again and again in our household for about a month and a half now.

I'm gratified by the way Emily's hotel problems have worked out.  Don't walk on the south side of Bryant Park and you should be fine.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 08:18:00 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2003, 08:17:11 PM »

Oh well Crap....someone has to say it... (TCB, Ron, OzTom, Jrand, all being so demure)...

For any number of us, trying to be Queen For A Day would be just plain redundant !!

No groaning........

:o  :P

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #218 on: December 01, 2003, 08:19:07 PM »

Welcome, ladodgerjon!

Well... My day off has turned into a day of supreme laziness.  I don't think I've done anything really productive at all today.  Hmm.. -It is my day off after all... But still feeling a little "guilty" for basically doing nothing all day.

I did go out to dinner with my friend, Mark.  We went for some pretty yummy and spicy Thai food.  And for dessert, I headed to the ice cream place next door and got a sundae - coconut-brownie ice cream, hot fudge, crushed almonds and whipped cream!  -And the young woman who scooped my ice cream was very generous with the scoops!  I'm actually a little logey, but, hey, it sure was delicious!

DR Swishy - Well, it was kind of "warm" here in Richmond for part of the day - low 60's.  I did have a pullover on - and remember, I said it felt like Fall - not like Summer.  ;-)  *I've always liked a slight chill in the air.  And having the sun out also made it seem warmer.

DR Emily - That is a great rate!  Is McGill the school you go to?  *Just be aware that they set up some "access restrictions" in and around Times Square once the revellers start to disperse.  I remember one year trying to get my friend's apartment, but since I didn't have a hotel key or a New York city address/license, the police would not let me through the barricades until after 3:00AM!  And you wanna talk about cold!  *Are you planning on doing the whole New Year's Eve in Times Square experience as part of your trip?
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #219 on: December 01, 2003, 08:20:22 PM »

I thought TCB would have weighed in by now, but my thought was that EVERY day was "Queen for a Day" day here on HHW.com!

MBarnum

« Reply #220 on: December 01, 2003, 08:27:27 PM »

Jed, I also received a lovely package in the mail from down-under and I am now enjoying Ms. Dorothy Provine singing about singing in the tub! Hoohaw! Thanks very, very much Tom from Oz, this CD is great! And tomorrow I shall take the Peter Brocklehurst CD to work and listen!

Such wonderfully nice people on HHW!

Tomovoz

« Reply #221 on: December 01, 2003, 08:27:53 PM »

MusicGuy: What indeed would be the point of yet another day when we have all had so many? (I wonder if Fred Bear made the cloak for the OZ version "Lady For A Day". It may still be around and in use).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #222 on: December 01, 2003, 08:28:39 PM »

By the way Michael Shayne, that picture of MS that you posted looks more then just a little bit like 1950s actor Ken Clark! I wonder if he might have been the model for that painting???

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: December 01, 2003, 08:32:03 PM »

Countdown to 10,000 posts - only twenty or so to go.

I am so not happy having to spend my entire evening viewing this footage.  Oh, well, one more tape to go, about ninety minutes worth, then I'm done.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #224 on: December 01, 2003, 08:34:35 PM »

I have broken bread with Dear BK on two occasions now, once in the company of Dear Reader Jose and Dear Reader Music Guy, and at another time with Dear Reader Jane.  New Dear Reader LADodgerJon has proposed committing a journal to this here site recounting his experiences having lunch with Dear BK each day whilst they toil away in some claustrophobic editing bay high atop a skyscraper in the Oaks of Sherman.

Far be it from me to dissuade a newbie from posting, especially one who, in his first post, demonstrated unparallelled modesty.  I must remind Dear Reader LADodger Jon, however, that this is a family site, and urge him to consider the propriety of committing to words the strange and unusual events he witnesses as he and Dear BK share their gustatory adventures.  Be advised:  if you thought the imbroglio with the pickle was strange, watch what happens when whipped cream is involved.

;)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #225 on: December 01, 2003, 08:36:07 PM »

JRand53 - looking at Trio's list of this months shows they shall show more QUEEN FOR A DAY episodes! I must watch! Also they are showing a Miss America contest from 1983 and from 1958! What a cool network!

I must finish looking at this months schedule!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #226 on: December 01, 2003, 08:37:20 PM »

You know what I want for Christmas?  I'll tell you what I want for Christmas.  I want Dear Reader Jose's metabolism.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #227 on: December 01, 2003, 08:40:10 PM »

Sorry, DR Michael Shayne, but I've never read any of your namesake's adventures, so I can't call him a favorite. One of these days, I must look them, up and give them a try.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #228 on: December 01, 2003, 08:42:31 PM »

Good to know you can rely on NW Male - Mail Mr Barnum.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: December 01, 2003, 08:42:59 PM »

Got an e-mail from Jed Levin (son of Ira) with a question - I don't have the answer, so I'm hoping one of you does.  Here it is:

Bruce:

Hope you don't mind a question way out of left field. A friend and I are
trying to remember details (title, cast, etc.) of a TV movie from the 70s
that was filmed (possibly on video) in Central Park) and was a musical
version of "The Gift of the Magi." My friend remembers that the male lead had
a big 70s mustache, and he thinks there was a song called "I Can't Give You
Anything for Christmas." This may have only been broadcast locally. That's
about all we can rememember, and Google and a bunch of message boards are
coming up empty handed. Any memories of this? I thought the song title might
be the strongest thread, but I've had no luck, and if the title's off by just
a word it can make it very difficult to track.

Just thought you were someone worth trying this on. Thanks!

Jed Levin

Matt H.

« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2003, 08:44:48 PM »

Trio is also famous for running those "Brilliant but Cancelled" shows, TV programs that got good reviews but were dropped by their networks after only a few airings. I don't often watch it, but the few times I've been aware of things they were showing, I was glad it's on my cable's listings.

Matt H.

« Reply #231 on: December 01, 2003, 08:49:52 PM »

BK, the show was called "The Gift of Love" and starred Marie Osmond and TImothy Bottoms. Telecast on 12/8/79. Fred Karlin and Norman Gimbel contributed songs to the two hour show. It was on ABC.

I've got the whole cast and crew here if you need more info.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 08:51:19 PM by Matt H. »

Jane

« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2003, 08:50:09 PM »

Jay, ROTFLOL (rolling on the floor laughing out loud).   LADodgerJon needs to read the archives now.

MBarnum

« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2003, 08:55:11 PM »

Wow, you must have a very large living room!

Matt H.

« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2003, 08:58:08 PM »

Wow, you must have a very large living room!

Hurmph! Try to do a friend a favor and what do I get? Backtalk! Sarcastic backtalk! (A MOMMIE DEAREST reference).   ::)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #235 on: December 01, 2003, 09:02:21 PM »

BK, the show was called "The Gift of Love" and starred Marie Osmond and TImothy Bottoms. Telecast on 12/8/79. Fred Karlin and Norman Gimbel contributed songs to the two hour show. It was on ABC.

According to imdb.com, there was another made for TV version with Debby Boone and John Rubinstein called "The Gift of the Magi" (click on the title to see the very limited listing).  Imdb.com indicates that the 1978 Debby Boone version is also a musical, but the only non-cast credit is for the director Marc Daniels.  Hope this doesn't confuse the issue too much.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 09:03:15 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #236 on: December 01, 2003, 09:03:32 PM »

DR Jay - I wish I had my metabolism!  Well, at least the one I had pre-Australia.  I'm still working on the "Aussie 12" I put on, and with the holiday season upon us, the timing is just plain bad.  Not that I'm complaining, but...  However, I have not put back on all the weight I lost last year, so that's the sunny side of the situation.  Mainly, I just need to get my exercise routine back into routine.

I like TRIO too.  Unfortunately, when the cable system in Richmond reorganized the channel line-up, TRIO was moved to the "top tier" subscription level - ????  Ah, well.  At least I still have BBC America.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #237 on: December 01, 2003, 09:11:50 PM »

I am leaving that post from Jose well alone. Others may venture there but I shall not.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #238 on: December 01, 2003, 09:17:11 PM »

Well, I figured if it was "The Gift of the Magi" they were looking for, they would have found that one since it's the same title. But it could very well be that one rather than the Osmond Company produced special.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2003, 09:18:36 PM »

This is beginning to feel like New Years Eve!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up