Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GAME IS AFOOT  (Read 25988 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE GAME IS AFOOT
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2003, 08:55:42 AM »

Don't forget MBARNUM, that it is Crime of Passion, singular!  The plural will get you Kathleen Turner.

Maybe I should find a better picture!  Maybe that is why my Karma went down yesterday!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2003, 09:02:39 AM »

I like Bab's ALL I DESIRE. That'll never be released either.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2003, 09:05:58 AM »

There no butts about it - DRs Lulu and Noel can relax!  ;D

No Man of Her Own - that is some meller-drama with a train wreck 'n everything....in fact, everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end!   :P

All I Desire is one strange movie DR MATTH.  Sometimes I get it confused with the one where she comes back into town and her ex manufactures toy robots....but I think that is a different movie, isn't it?  I know AID was one of Sirk's Universal pictures, not sure about the other one.

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2003, 09:06:42 AM »

Yes, ALL I DESIRE is a very good movie! I was released on VHS a few years back..in fact I have a VHS on it's way to me at this very moment!! She is also quite good in THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW which I don't think has been released at all, yet.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2003, 09:06:46 AM »

Chat last night was very fun, even though I left about an hour in to do some unpacking.  I'm sooo not wanting to go back to school today...ah well, what can ya do?  The semester will be over soon anyway, and then....Christmas break!  It can not happen soon enough.

Hmmm....I'm afraid I can't really contribute much to the discussion of favorite sleuths, because I'm really not much of a mystery/detective gal.  I don't know a Hercule Poirot from a Philip Marlowe.  But can I go with Nancy Drew?  I read one or two of the ND books when I was little.

Jose--What did you think of "Bride of the Wind?"  I thought it was pretty serviceable, and it turned me into an Oscar Kokoschka fan!

SteveG--I have to respectfully disagree about "Bad Santa."  I saw it in NYC, and I thought that while it was very vulgar, it was acridly funny.  I liked Terry Zwigoff's previous film "Ghost World" better, but I thought "Bad Santa" was a good follow-up with the same dark spirit.  I mean, sure, the characters weren't exactly three-dimensional, and the ending didn't quite gel with the rest of the movie, but I laughed a great deal.  I DO want to see "The Last Samurai" though!

MBarnum--love the new pic!

Jrand--your pic is swell too!  And I'm sure your karma being taken away was just a mistake.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2003, 09:10:44 AM »

Thanks DR MAYA.  Oh you saw Ghost World...then you saw the head shaking dance from GUMNAAM!

Kerry

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2003, 09:14:06 AM »

Does ANYONE have a tape of the Mark Twain awards which were on PBS last week that they'd be willing to share.

Likewise, does anyone have a copy of "Who Killled Teddy Bear?"
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2003, 09:14:53 AM »

Well, I haven't seen THE LAST SAMUARI, but after seeing the previews on TV, I thought to myself that it looked like a cross between BRAVEHEART, DANCES WITH WOLVES, and SEVEN SAMUARI, none of which would interest me. (Well, I DID like DANCES WITH WOLVES, but I really endured BRAVEHEART looking at my watch the entire time.)

Lo and behold, I open VARIETY on-line this morning, and the review was all about how it resembled those movies coming up short in every respect from each of them. And it's 154 minutes, another negative from my rear end's perspective.

I'm sure it's beautifully made and I wish everyone connected with it well, but they won't be getting my money on the theater or on home video. This is one I may give a chance once it makes it to HBO/Showtime, but that's all the chance I'll give it.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2003, 09:16:06 AM »

JRand, now that is a cute picture of pups...are one of those yours? I think we should have day wherein we all post a pic of our pets...maybe this weekend!

Just remember that Lori Nelson and Marcia (THE HYPNOTIC EYE) Henderson are in AID, and William Reynolds and Gigi Pereau (I think I spelled that wrong) are in THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2003, 09:21:23 AM »

I have a VCD of Who Killed Teddy Bear.  Maya, here are my recommendations - for Philip Marlowe read Farewell, My Lovely or The High Window (both available in paperback) and then, for Lew Archer, read The Chill, one of the best PI novels ever.  For Poirot, I still love Roger Ackroyd best, even though he's more central to many of the other Christie books.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2003, 09:22:13 AM »

Oh, gosh, I forgot all about Nick and Nora Charles of THE THIN MAN series. Love them all, and wouldn't part with my laserdisc boxed set for anything. Warners released the first film on DVD last year, and the next two were in the running for their classics series this year, but neither of them won in the voting at AOL (THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES, DR. JECKYLL AND MR. HYDE, THE WIND AND THE LION did), so I don't know when that will mean they will get released.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 09:23:51 AM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2003, 09:22:57 AM »

I know people will probably enjoy The Last Samurai, but I just can't stand this overblown type of film (at least that's what it sounds like) - Mr. Ed Zwick loves this sort of bombast, but at that length I'll just pass for a while.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2003, 09:28:40 AM »

Ugh!

Augh!

Yuck!

Monday!

Work Day!

Dec. 1.

I got the blahs....!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2003, 09:30:38 AM »

DR KERRY I also have a VCD of Who Killed Teddy Bear? that I have seen ALL I want to see.  Email me if you would like to add it to your collection....in fact, it puts me to sleep!!

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2003, 09:32:26 AM »

Besides being a toothpaste, can someone tell me what AIM is? Is this somehow connected with AOL? I have heard it mentioned but don't have a clue!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2003, 09:33:25 AM »

Don't forget what today is.........

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2003, 09:34:11 AM »

Instant message service, MBARNUM, from AOL!

No, not my dogs....but I was waiting for someone to ask if they bite....   ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 09:34:47 AM by JRand53 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2003, 09:47:49 AM »

I enjoyed last nights chat, few people that were there. The one time I can stay up late and chat till the cows come home (and I really wanted to see a cow come home) and only a couple were there.  Not that they were A couple–at least, I didn’t get the impression they were.  Any who,  I hope the cookies turned out for you, George.

They turned out very nicely, thank you...if I do say so myself!  It's only 9:45 a.m. and some have already sold!  (I'm on a team to raise money for the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life.  We're "The Bookers.")
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2003, 09:52:17 AM »

Kerry -
I have "Teddy Bear" on VHS and can make you a copy if you want.  It's one of those films that is totally bizarre and needs to be seen at least once.

BK -
See my prior post about "Search".  Is it not working or working correctly?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2003, 09:55:44 AM »

Thanks JRand53! So if someone has an AIM name then I can put them on my buddy list on AOL instant messenger? Cool!

I cannot seem to wake up this morning, despite 2 cups of coffee (instant). My supervisor should be brining me my "real" coffee any minute now (she isn't coming in  until 10:00 am). Oh, I hear the door opening now! Maybe that is her!  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2003, 09:57:11 AM »

JRand53, are you on AIM? If so then put AOPP into your AIM thingy and see if you can instant message me sometime!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2003, 10:12:22 AM »

Good morning... well, it's the afternoon here already in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Well, since I did not get to bed until around 4:30am last night/morning, I had no choice but to sleep in this morning.  I first peeked at my clock radio around 9:56.. then again at 11:00-ish... and that's when I got out of bed.  -I got "sucked" into watching that movie about Bob Crane last night on cable - Auto Focus (?).  Interesting, eh...

I've gone through my mail from the past week - the usual bills and some new CDs - let's see how long it takes for me to listen to all of them - let alone get them unwrapped.   ;)

As for fictional detectives...  I never got into any of the Agatha Christie creations - Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot.  But I did have to read "Ten Little Indians" for my English class my freshman year in high school.  -I still remember the method of murder, but not the one who carried them out...

Growing up, I watched the usual TV detective/police shows: Columbo, Mannix, Hawaii-Five-O, Rockford Files, etc.  Oh, and Quincy!  And I guess Night Stalker could be considered a sort of detective show.

As for The Last Samurai - I just saw the commercial on TV - first time for me (just too much time in the theatre lately).  I may have to wait on this one too.  *Unfortunately, when I'm in a show, sometimes the last thing I want to do is to spend some more time in another theatre.

And one more follow up on The Hotel Pennsylvania - My guess is that they have some nicer floors and nicer rooms than the one I stayed in.  However, I do remember the room being large by NYC standards.  I just happened to be placed in a not-so-nice one.  I remember staying at the Hotel Edison during a few trips up in high school.  They were in the middle of renovating the hotel.  It was shocking the difference in quality between the "old" rooms and the "new" rooms.  -And they really did a nice job with the renovations.  Oh, and I've also foung the Wellington Hotel pretty reasonable - and if you have a bunch of people in your party, they have some nice two room suites with two bathrooms(!) that don't cost much more than their regular rooms.  *They have a big international clientele - lots of tour groups - and their desk staff is multi-lingual.

As for hostels in NYC...  I've never used them, but I have friends who have.  Some of the usual caveats apply here:  Do you have an International Youth Hostel card?  Do you mind having limited access to your room during the day?  Etc., etc., etc...

Well, time for me to get in gear...

*Oh, and any Y&R fans?  Brad (Don Diamont) doesn't look bad with facial hair... :P

Oh - DR MBarnum - As Jrand already stated - AIM = AOL Instant Messenger.  *AIM actually is more fully-featured than AIM-in-AOL.  And you can actually run both at the same time.

And DR JRand53 - Thank you for the reminder about World AIDS Day.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2003, 10:14:16 AM »

Oohh MBarnum has a new picture of himself up! Who is with you and what are you holding up?

And Jrand has some fighting doggies!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2003, 10:21:16 AM »

Jrand--I did see that sequence, and thought it was great!  One of these days I WILL get through a 4-hour Bollywood movie!

BK--thanks for the recommendations!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2003, 10:22:33 AM »

WEL: I don't have the answer.  Post it on the tech board, and when Mr. Bakalor is backalor he can address it.

Jed

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2003, 10:28:03 AM »

Detectives, eh?  Hmm... not something I"ve read a whole heck of a lot of.  I did greatly enjoy the only Agatha Christie I've read, Ten Little Indians.  When I was but a twig of a sprig of a lad, I was a big Encyclopedia Brown fan.  And after that, I couldn't get enough Hardy Boys.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2003, 10:28:08 AM »

*Oh, and any Y&R fans?  Brad (Don Diamont) doesn't look bad with facial hair... :P

I am addicted to this show.  And, I actually met him a couple years ago when he was here promoting something or other. Very cute!

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2003, 10:33:27 AM »

Hmmm I love that DR Mark is now coming back as Mr. Mark Bakalor.  Whose idea was that? :)

Btw, for DR WEL, I will try out the search function now and tell you if it works for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2003, 10:39:56 AM »

Is the "Unseemly search" not working?  I get an error message when I try to search from the notes page and results without what I am looking for when I search from the message page.

I just did a search from the message page and got lots of results. Maybe you can tell us what you are searching for and we can try. I will try from the notes page. But from this message board it works for me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2003, 10:40:59 AM »

DR MBarnum:  What kind of job has supervisors who bring their employees coffee???

I want a job there!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up