Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: A BAD ACID FLASHBACK OR A DEAD HERRING IN THE MOONLIGHT  (Read 29662 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:A BAD ACID FLASHBACK OR A DEAD HERRING IN THE MOONLIGHT
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2006, 07:48:40 AM »

TPunk's mom drives a Buick Century!

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2006, 07:50:35 AM »

TPunk's mom drives a Buick Century!

I did, too, until last August when GM offered to take my lease off my hands and I bought the Vibe.

And aren't TPunk and her mom going to be doing a road trip near here sometime soon?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 07:51:34 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2006, 07:53:22 AM »

To give some insight into a question asked yesterday, I remember reading an interview with Blake Edwards when he did SON OF THE PINK PANTHER with Roberto Benigni or whoever back in the early 90s. He basically said the Pink Panther character, meaning the cartoon character, is a branding franchise that is still worth a lot to some companies (Owens-Corning in the States for instance), so they have to keep it alive and in the public eye by making the movies periodically. Such is the way of the world.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 07:54:48 AM »

I believe they are, Ginny. They will be doing Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2006, 07:54:48 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I must de-groggify myself.  The sky is already very blue outside.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2006, 08:04:27 AM »

Off to get showered and shaved and then to lunch with friends.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2006, 08:06:07 AM »

The sky is blue here too. But its probably 40 degrees colder.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2006, 08:08:17 AM »

I read this in yesterday's VARIETY. According to the CBS spokesman, THE AMAZING RACE does well whenever CBS runs it at 10 p.m. and it IS smart counterprogramming to the drama of SVU and the dramedy of BOSTON LEGAL.

LOVE MONKEY has not performed any better than CLOSER TO HOME did in the slot, and CBS is all about winning time slots or at least coming in a strong second (as CRIMINAL MINDS does against LOST). LOVE MONKEY hasn't delivered.

Though the article did not say LOVE MONKEY had been canceled, the fact that it appears nowhere on CBS' midseason schedule after February 21st is pretty much writing on the wall.

In other words, CBS gives a rat's ass for quality...it just wants instant gratification (something that has become epidemic since the millenium changed).

I wonder if any of the current "shirts" gives any credence to the possibility that the other networks have locks on the bulk of the audience with their own programming and that CBS needs to establish a great program in the slot they want to win and then stick with it, wooing/enticing viewers to check it out?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2006, 08:10:06 AM »

To give some insight into a question asked yesterday, I remember reading an interview with Blake Edwards when he did SON OF THE PINK PANTHER with Roberto Benigni or whoever back in the early 90s. He basically said the Pink Panther character, meaning the cartoon character, is a branding franchise that is still worth a lot to some companies (Owens-Corning in the States for instance), so they have to keep it alive and in the public eye by making the movies periodically. Such is the way of the world.

It makes sense.

But I wonder how much sense it truly makes that Steve Martin, as Clouseau, looks a lot like Adolf Hitler with white hair?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2006, 08:11:51 AM »

Elmore, this is rather eerie, but yesterday as I was getting ready for work, TPunk called to tell me she had been waiting for her bus for a half hour and it hadn't come yet! It was the second time in a week that this had happened. The bus drivers blame the traffic. Unless she has shared this with you, it seems  you've subconciously picked up on her bus troubles.

It also seems he's dreaming of traveling with her in Middletown, Ohio, and nary a Rodzinski seems to be in sight.

:D

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2006, 08:14:24 AM »

DR MattH, I think that some Idol contestants are featured much more in the audition shows, and it is unfair.  But I think that all the judges favorites are shown.  I wish that for the auditions, they would have a couple of shows just showing all the 175 contestants who make it to Hollywood.

Also, re: The amazing race. I think it does well at 10pm when it's on for 2 hours. And I still think it will do okay at 10pm (core fans will still watch). But i think these shows where someone is eliminated are better at 8pm or 9pm.  10pm is too late, and I know a lot of people have to work the next day!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2006, 08:15:37 AM »

And not a good sign for CRUMBS being taken off tonight for a GREY'S ANATOMY repeat (of last Sunday's show). I'm thinking its days are also numbered.

Not sure if that's the reason.  "Crumbs" aired here on Tuesday night (or was that a repeat?).

"Grey's Anatomy", for some unfathomable reason, did not play on the West Coast in its time slot Sunday evening.  At 10 p.m., they aired that "Desperate Housewives" catch-up program...but between the Super Bowl and "Desperate Housewives" the gosh-awful and tedious Jimmy Kimmel was on.

So....

FJL

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2006, 08:30:26 AM »

To Tomovoz and also to anyone interested in the Disney sequels and why they by their very nature don't "live up" to the original movies - Re HUNCHBACK PART II post of last night -  If by some chance you do watch it, keep in mind that the straight-to-video sequel was ultimately aimed at the age 3-to-6 age bracket and I think it'll stand up.   I think that during the period while Skip was working on that video, they came to the realization that they needed to have  a certain kind of younger-age-targeted product for the straight-to-video market, so they went to work at taking some of the more challenging aspects out of the script and video.  From an artistic perspective, it seems from looking at the online comments that the people who loved the daring of the theatrical movie were very disappointed in the sequel, but it was the really the young kids who go "Oh, look, there's Quasi" at the Disney parks and shows that the final product seemed to speak to.   (Thanks, MattH, for your comment last night, Skip appreciated that, since even he feels it has to be taken for what it is and nothing more.)  

One fun (to us) story about money and HUNCHBACK II - When Skip gets paid for air/TV rights and such, it's broken down by song and also separately for his music used in the general underscoring.  (Excluding the pop Jennifer Love Hewitt closing credit song which Hewitt co-wrote herself, the video has four songs, of which Skip wrote three)  On a recent check stub, they listed a song Skip had never heard of, and he said to me that he didn't write such-and-such song but got paid, what should he do.  As it happened, he had never seen the French language version and I had, so I was able to tell him that no, he did write that song, that just happens to be the French title and he was indeed entitled to that money.  So even thought no one in France knows Skip's name, at least some kids are hearing his music there.  :)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2006, 08:49:22 AM »

Speaking of gosh-awful and tedious and Steve Martin, the actual interview on that morning show with Diane Sawyer or somebody, where he was "teaching" her how to speak that wretched faux patois, and she was finding it SO difficult, and yet so funny... Well, it was absolutely painful to endure.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2006, 08:50:55 AM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2006, 08:55:28 AM »

To Tomovoz and also to anyone interested in the Disney sequels and why they by their very nature don't "live up" to the original movies - Re HUNCHBACK PART II post of last night -  If by some chance you do watch it, keep in mind that the straight-to-video sequel was ultimately aimed at the age 3-to-6 age bracket and I think it'll stand up.   I think that during the period while Skip was working on that video, they came to the realization that they needed to have  a certain kind of younger-age-targeted product for the straight-to-video market, so they went to work at taking some of the more challenging aspects out of the script and video.  From an artistic perspective, it seems from looking at the online comments that the people who loved the daring of the theatrical movie were very disappointed in the sequel, but it was the really the young kids who go "Oh, look, there's Quasi" at the Disney parks and shows that the final product seemed to speak to.   (Thanks, MattH, for your comment last night, Skip appreciated that, since even he feels it has to be taken for what it is and nothing more.)  

One fun (to us) story about money and HUNCHBACK II - When Skip gets paid for air/TV rights and such, it's broken down by song and also separately for his music used in the general underscoring.  (Excluding the pop Jennifer Love Hewitt closing credit song which Hewitt co-wrote herself, the video has four songs, of which Skip wrote three)  On a recent check stub, they listed a song Skip had never heard of, and he said to me that he didn't write such-and-such song but got paid, what should he do.  As it happened, he had never seen the French language version and I had, so I was able to tell him that no, he did write that song, that just happens to be the French title and he was indeed entitled to that money.  So even thought no one in France knows Skip's name, at least some kids are hearing his music there.  :)

I have nver seen wither Hunchback or the sequel... for some reason the Vixter was never interested in seeing them so I didn't persue it, but now I am intriqued... I must hie me to Blockbuster....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2006, 08:59:11 AM »

Well, of course, by "gosh awful and tedious", I'm only letting everyone know how "I" find Jimmy Kimmel.  If anyone else likes him, that's cool.  I still love you all.

Ditto the "Spamalot" issue.  I, too, preferred all the other nominees....I figured "Spamalot" would win, but I suspect seeing the show is the key to adoring it...I certainly don't begrudge anyone a Grammy for it, but I agree with Matt that it was the lesser of the nominees....personal taste and all that.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 08:59:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2006, 09:09:46 AM »

TOD:  I guess there are so many earth-shattering changes one could make going back in the time machine, but still:

I'm not sure why I care about BAKER'S WIFE so much, but I'd like to go back to the tryout of BAKER'S WIFE and tell the creators about all the changes they made in later years that made the show better, in the hopes that they implement them in the original incarnation.  Does that sound too frivolous or inconsequential?  Maybe, but I'm convinced that if BAKER'S WIFE had succeeded in its original time, it would have had a nice impact on the procession of musical theater "history" that followed it; just a feeling, nothing to back it up.

Fred, would you also try to convince David Merrick to hire Betty Buckley, since Stephen Schwartz (according to Betty) had written the show with Betty in mind?  Maybe if she had actually done the show, her subsequent recordings of "Meadowlark" would have the emotional truth that BK feels they don't have (which, now that I think of it, I agree).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2006, 09:12:49 AM »

Not sure if that's the reason.  "Crumbs" aired here on Tuesday night (or was that a repeat?).

"Grey's Anatomy", for some unfathomable reason, did not play on the West Coast in its time slot Sunday evening.  At 10 p.m., they aired that "Desperate Housewives" catch-up program...but between the Super Bowl and "Desperate Housewives" the gosh-awful and tedious Jimmy Kimmel was on.

Here in the PNW, I'm pretty sure that they showed the "Desperate Housewives" ketchup (or catch-up) show at 9:00 and I know that they showed "Grey's Anatomy" at 10:00.  I don't know what time (if at all) Jimmy Kimmel came on.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2006, 09:14:14 AM »

And now...off to work. :P

;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2006, 09:18:43 AM »

Here in the PNW, I'm pretty sure that they showed the "Desperate Housewives" ketchup (or catch-up) show at 9:00 and I know that they showed "Grey's Anatomy" at 10:00.  I don't know what time (if at all) Jimmy Kimmel came on.

Okay...here in Oakland...

:D

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2006, 09:20:10 AM »

Bill, Jose, and Mike are here to install the new furnace. The old furnace (which weighed a lot, evidently...judging from the grunts, groans, and curses) was lifted out of the floor and now they are about to retro-fit the new furnace...the hole in the floor will need to be resized, unfortunately.

Jason

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2006, 09:20:35 AM »

I just found out that my boss has selected me to be the official non-Equity licensing representative for MTI at the Southeastern Theatre Conference (SETC) the first week of March. Here's the best part - it's in Orlando! And the company's paying!! And I get to go with one of my best friends as he's the Equity licensing rep, so we're gonna try to get VIP tickets to Disney one day while we're there.

WOO and HOO!!

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2006, 09:21:56 AM »

Evidently the new furnace must be inspected by the inspector (whoever that is) before the gas company will come out and put in the gas meter.

So my dream of having heat today has been dashed to pieces like a crumbling cookie.  :-\

But I will survive!

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2006, 09:22:21 AM »

Bill, Jose, and Mike are here to install the new furnace. The old furnace (which weighed a lot, evidently...judging from the grunts, groans, and curses) was lifted out of the floor and now they are about to retro-fit the new furnace...the hole in the floor will need to be resized, unfortunately.

Well if doesn't work, we all know which of the three you'll blame!

What brand of furnace is it?

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2006, 09:23:31 AM »

I just found out that my boss has selected me to be the official non-Equity licensing representative for MTI at the Southeastern Theatre Conference (SETC) the first week of March. Here's the best part - it's in Orlando! And the company's paying!! And I get to go with one of my best friends as he's the Equity licensing rep, so we're gonna try to get VIP tickets to Disney one day while we're there.

WOO and HOO!!

HOO and RAY!!!  That's wonderful news Jason I am very pleased for you!

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2006, 09:24:50 AM »

That is wonderful Jason! What fun!

I keep trying to talk my boss into letting us attend a human resources conference in Hawaii...but doggone it if he doesn't always think it would be best to attend that same conference when it is held in Salem . Some silliness about taxpayers dollars or something.

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2006, 09:25:07 AM »

Evidently the new furnace must be inspected by the inspector (whoever that is) before the gas company will come out and put in the gas meter.

So my dream of having heat today has been dashed to pieces like a crumbling cookie.  :-\

But I will survive!

Dang!  How long will that take?  Can't you borrow a new born infant or an old, old lady to come and say they live in your house so the powers that be will get a move on?

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2006, 09:25:35 AM »

I believe that the brand of furnace is WILLIAMS.

Jason

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2006, 09:25:42 AM »

HOO and RAY!!!  That's wonderful news Jason I am very pleased for you!

Thank you! I've no idea why he chose me of all people to go down there. My friend, Russell, said he was going to request that I go with him, but my boss suggested my name before he had the chance! Maybe he knew I needed a vacation...even if it is a working one.

In any case, I'm going to Disney World! :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up