Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: A LITTLE BEHIND  (Read 24737 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:A LITTLE BEHIND
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2006, 08:59:34 PM »

CSI: MIAMI was a rerun, but it was one of this season's most enjoyable episodes thus far, and I enjoyed seeing it again not only for the gorgeousness of the high definition but also the intricacies of the plot.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2006, 09:01:15 PM »

An idea for the musical theater workshop. Maybe a look at the different ways musicals have dealt with the same story. For example: the different versions of TWELFTH NIGHT that have been presented. Or PETER PAN or CINDERELLA (to use albums you have produced yourself).

FJL

« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2006, 09:05:37 PM »

Valentine's Day could also be a good day for a discussion of Rodgers and Hart, especially "My Funny Valentine."  Maybe as a jumping off point for the possibly true story that they named the character in BABES IN ARMS Valentine so that they could use that song on the show, and how the progress of musical theater from Rodgers & Hammerstein to today has made doing something like that unthinkable today.  Except of course in jukebox musicals where they name a character Rhonda so that they can use "Help Me Rhonda" and get raked over the coals for the absence of verisimilitude.

Begging the question, whatever happened to Vera Similitude?  She used to be so big, and now she's basically forgotten.  :)

Matt H.

« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2006, 09:08:07 PM »

Page Nine Tigger Dance!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2006, 09:13:24 PM »

DR TCB, did you know that Buddy Holly was on his way to a performance in Moorhead, MN when he died in a plane crash in Iowa?  Bobby Vee took over the billing and played. Ironically Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on that flight but backed out so Ritchie Valens could go on it.

The Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, IA is still open...well they were a year or so ago, anyway and they had a Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens commemoration every February...hmm that may have been last weekend. I haven't been paying attention.

Cillaliz

« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2006, 09:17:53 PM »

Now let me get this straight...you can take a major--and I mean major-- fall on the ice, and still manage to win a silver medal?

Michelle Kwan is probably thinking to herself, "Hell, I could have done that!"

I thought it was fabulous to see the Chinese skater go back and finish, and skate so well.  That girl has guts and heart.  I'm glad they got the silver.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2006, 09:19:03 PM »

Well, a big part of auditioning AND performing is NERVES. I think a good discussion would be to get the class talking about how they deal with their nerves prior to auditioning or being onstage. People have different methods, I'm sure you have stories of how you cope, and stories of how you haven't coped (which can be just as useful). In auditioning, with musical theater actors you have more levels of intimidation than usual: choreographers, music directors, directors... I've known a lot of actors who come to NY and quickly get intimidated and put off by auditioning, and they give up the game.
How to cultivate confidence and maintain it, even if you may not feel confident.
As a director, what are the telltale signs that someone is nervous/not confident, etc.

Cillaliz

« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2006, 09:19:09 PM »

Congrats on the new plateau

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2006, 09:22:04 PM »

Good Evening!

Even though I didn't leave the apartment until around 2:30, I actually ended up having quite a full day.  On the way into midtown, I de-subwayed at Columbus Circle to get a Jamba Juice at Whole Foods.  -And I also had an interesting "confrontation" with a customer who was scooping some of the food she had put in here take out box from the hot food bar back into the hot bar.  -And she had two different things in her takeout container - one vegan, one non-vegan (chicken).  She was putting back the vegan stuff.  Of course, the sauces for each dish had intermingled by that time... And she should have just gotten a new container and started off with a new container. -Remember, I come from a food service industry family.  I mentioned to her not to mix the vegetarian and meat stuff together. -Well, there's no meat in here.  Yes, there is (pointing to her food)  -Stop pointing at my food.  Well, stop being such a b*itch.

And that was trip to Whole Foods.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2006, 09:24:21 PM »

DR elmore - Mea culpa, mea culpa. Mea maxima, maxima culpa.

-Hmm... What was that I said a few days ago about being your Whipping Boy?

;D

Have a great time in Philly with Ron Raines and the Philly Pops.  I shall call you on Wednesday.  I promise.  -And I need an Artie's fix too.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2006, 09:25:38 PM »

I did make my way down to the Lestat rehearsals.  By the time I had gotten there, most everyone was done for the day, but the staff were there.  I caught up with the music director, and we set up a schedule of sorts for the next couple of weeks.  I'm looking forward to being back "in the room".  Rehearsals really are my favorite part of a show.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #251 on: February 13, 2006, 09:29:17 PM »

BK - As for a Topic for your class...  -And, yes, I know I still owe you a list of songs...  However... Since you're dealing with this situation right now...

How does one "practice" consistency when performing a song or show over and over again?  From audition to audition. From performance to performance.

I also think just you sharing some of your stories from your experience would be enjoyable and educational.  And it helps aspiring performers know that even the "stars" are still people and human too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #252 on: February 13, 2006, 09:31:21 PM »

After leaving Lestat-land, I walked on down to Herald Square to check out Old Navy's Bargain Basement.  However, on the way, I needed to use the "facilities", and since I was near Ripley-Grier, I headed up on to the 16th floor...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #253 on: February 13, 2006, 09:34:04 PM »

...And on my way out of the building, I happened to spy Liz Larsen sitting in the lobby.  I did Sunday in the Park with George with her and her husband, Sal Viviano, back in 1997 at Arena Stage.  And I really haven't seen either of them since then.  So, we had nice little reunion and catch-up session.  -It's amazing to think that their first son, who was practically a newborn back in 1997, is now nine years old.  Wow!  And since Liz happened to call home, I also got in greetings to Sal too!

BK - I passed on greeting to both Liz and Sal for you, and they send their love right back at ya'!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #254 on: February 13, 2006, 09:34:32 PM »

Guess I'll head downstairs now and go to bed.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the evening.

Good night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #255 on: February 13, 2006, 09:35:06 PM »

Old Navy was a bust.  They had barely any Men's Clothes in the Bargain Basement.  Even the clerk down there seemed a bit apologetic when I asked where all the Men's Clearance Clothes were.  Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #256 on: February 13, 2006, 09:35:55 PM »

Congrats to Everyone for reaching and surpassing the latest milestone!

:):):):):)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2006, 09:40:47 PM »

Quote from: FJL

Begging the question, whatever happened to Vera Similitude?  She used to be so big, and now she's basically forgotten.  :)
[quote
Gone are the days when everyone used to say Alo Vera.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »

DR Jason and I ended up meeting for a movie tonight.  We were going to go see Manoel Felciano at Ars Nova tonight, but due to a ticketing system error, my original ticket order did not go through, and the event was sold out... and oversold, so...  No biggie.

We ended up seeing "Walk the Line".... A very good movie.  I had no previous knowledge of Johnny and June Carter Cash's background, and the movie really filled me in on their history in a very entertaining, compelling and moving way.  And both Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon really do an Oscar-worthy job.  -And I have to wonder which casting person in Hollywood went out on the proverbial limb for Reese Witherspoon.  She's come a long way from "Legally Blonde".

After the movie, we headed over to John's for pizza.  Good pizza as usual.  And then it was home.

And now I'm reading the posts, and feeling a bit sleep already. So...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #259 on: February 13, 2006, 09:42:32 PM »

Gone are the days when everyone used to say Alo Vera.

I still like the "lady" mentioned in Torch Song Trilogy: Bertha Venation.

And I still wonder if my friend from college still gets into his drag - literally - to become:  Fonda Dix.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2006, 09:44:06 PM »

Well, as I mentioned I'm already a bit sleepy.  And my throat is feeling a little "off" right now too.  -I just forget how dry the air can get even when there's snow in the air - and on the ground.  Hydrate!  And since I have to move my car in the morning...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2006, 09:44:17 PM »

Jane, nope the view is up the street from us.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2006, 09:52:19 PM »

OHH!!  Just checked the NYCDOT website, and alternate side parking regulations are suspended tomorrow because of the snow conditions.  Which means I don't have to move my car until Friday!  HOO and RAY!

*I had thought the parking regulations would be suspended, but... Ain't the internet a wonderful thing?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #263 on: February 13, 2006, 09:53:30 PM »

OH!

And a Happy Black Tuesday Valentine's Day to Everyone!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2006, 10:08:03 PM »

Thanks all for the first day on the new job vibes!  So far, so good!  Tons of paperwork, of course, but I don't mind as it means I'll have insurance for the first time in three years.  I'm training at the Main Library through next Wednesday, before I go to the branch(es) I'll normally be working at.  Just learning the circulation system and all, no big problems as I've worked in a library before, simply have to adjust to a different system.  And the best part of all will be next Friday when I get paid! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #265 on: February 13, 2006, 10:13:25 PM »

More suggestions, please.  And yes, it's a performance workshop, although I can do anything I want.

BK, how about different singing techniques...for instance, singing on a recording with a microphone is very different than singing on stage.

Also, when you sing on a recording, all you have is your voice to "act" or interpret the song.  When you perform in front of an audience, you have the visuals, the costume, choreography, direction, script, etc., to help "perform" the song.  You've talked about how when you're in the studio, you don't look at the performers as they sing.  Talking about that could be very valuable to a budding performer.  Also (I would think), that if someone takes those ideas into performing in front of an audience, it would make them a better performer, overall.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 10:13:43 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #266 on: February 13, 2006, 10:13:51 PM »

Congrats, Jed!

And, yes, paperwork = payroll.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2006, 10:15:07 PM »

OH!  DR FJL - Be sure to pass on a big Thank You to Skip for the referral!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2006, 10:15:23 PM »

And, once again...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2006, 10:26:55 PM »

Excellent suggestions - I'm going to use parts of all of them.  Must now write some notes up for the class.  Thanks all!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up