Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TIME IS NIGH  (Read 19020 times)

Ginny

Re:THE TIME IS NIGH
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2006, 12:44:26 PM »

I have not been watching the Olympics on NBC, but I think what you guys are describing would drive me nuts.  I've been watching on the CBC, because they show everything live.  But also for the Canadian focus.  I'm assuming NBC probably only focuses on the US atheletes.

DR Jennifer - being able to watch the Olympics on CBC is one of the things I miss about living in Detroit.  We used to watch on CKLW out of Windsor.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2006, 12:54:02 PM »

Do you suppose Ms. Shopp is still toodling around in her Nash?

I'm sure she is....probably still has the banner on it.  If she hasn't burned out the starter and the clutch!  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2006, 12:55:34 PM »

I have to agree with general consensus about the Olympic coverage.

The airing of competitions on tape delay that COULD be aired live certainly negates the urgency of the games for me.  Since they are on tape, I can watch the highlights anytime.  On tape (to me) means edited for MAXIMUM commercial breaks!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2006, 12:55:46 PM »

I got one valentine! :)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2006, 12:58:32 PM »

A frog goes into a bank.....

Nice Vixmom, that got me laughing :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2006, 01:19:08 PM »

Spent the afternoon with THE UPSIDE OF ANGER. It's 2 hours and one minute long, about half an hour too long for this story. And it's full of like-and-hate moments. For everything I would like about the movie, I'd find a couple of things I didn't like. I ran hot and cold on Joan Allen's celebrated performance. She did fine, but I don't think the role was particularly well written which then didn't help me to appreciate her performance since I was disliking what was happening so much. Four talented younger actresses played her daughters, but their stories are always sideswiped to focus on the mother.

Kevin Costner got a lot of praise for his work in this film, and it certainly is one of his more likable performances. Sad, though, when he has to show any kind of intense emotion: he just doesn't have it in him.

So, 2 1/2 stars out of 4 for me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2006, 01:21:02 PM »

I'm sure the Olympics are aggravating to watch that way, but on a business level, advertisers are NOT going to pump those millions of dollars to NBC to have their ad run at 2:15 in the afternoon when many folks are at work. They want their ads run in prime time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »

65 posts?  We had 65 posts at eight in the morning yesterday.  You'd think it was Valentine's Day or something.  Speaking of which - Happy Valentine's Day to all my haineshisway.com sweethearts.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2006, 01:22:31 PM »

SUPERNATURAL also has a new episode tonight, but I won't see it because the local WB station is playing the Duke basketball game. And they're not tape delaying it either. It's just not on.

I hope the WB reruns it on Sunday. They have been doing that recently. That will be my only opportunity to see it (until it's rerun, of course).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »

DR TOMovOZ - I agree with you RE: Sir Dirk Bogarde.  His Sydney Carton is still my favorite!

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2006, 01:23:37 PM »

I was disappointed that I didn't get to COURTING ALEX this afternoon. I'm going to try to watch it tonight before the other network shows begin.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2006, 01:23:54 PM »

Workshop was fun today.  I basically spoke for the entire hour - discussed nerves, interpretation, I told a few anecdotes, talked about consistency in performance, and played a couple of my favorite vocal tracks and explained how we achieved the performance of them - Kristen Chenoweth's Lion Tamer and Michele Pawk's It Wasn't Meant To Happen.  Plus a little of Michele's Blame It On The Summer Night - they loved the anecdote about the rather outre image I gave her to play.

Tomovoz

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2006, 01:32:07 PM »

DR TOMovOZ - I agree with you RE: Sir Dirk Bogarde.  His Sydney Carton is still my favorite!
His autobiographical writing is superb too.
Of his films. "The Servant", "The Night Porter", Death in Venice" and "The Damned" are brilliant performances  (IMHO)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2006, 01:36:42 PM »

I've read one of his books....hmmm....bought it in Ireland....will have to search for it to get the title....LADDERS AND....  Hmmm

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2006, 01:38:29 PM »

Well....part of my thrifting haul today was the book The Abbott & Costello Story by Stephen Cox and John Lofflin.  And now I must cut the writer for ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST a bit (jus a bit) of slack, because Bud Abbott's wife was named Betty as was his niece (I thought it was his daughter) - she was the daughter of his brother Harry...Betty the script supervisor and "girlfriend" of Rock Hudson.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 01:39:58 PM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2006, 01:39:18 PM »

Also got the Original Cast Recording of the 1983 production of ZORBA with Quinn and Kedrova....and the Original London Cast of STOP THE WORLD with Newley and Qualan....on DECCA!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2006, 01:43:56 PM »

When we were moving, The Lovely Wife and I found boxes of cards we had saved that we have given each other over the years.  we estimated that the money we had spent on them would have covered a really nice trip somewhere.  We also didn't want to haul them all over the place.  So we culled through them all one evening...Cards to and from each other.  Cards "from" the pets, even cards "from" dead pets.  It was ridiculous!  We saved only a small box of the really, really funny clever ones and pitched all the rest.

We have put a moritorium on cards for the nonce...not giving them for any occasion (to each other...we'll still get one every now and then for a chum).  We'd rather spend the dough on things we want for the house or a really good dinner out, etc.  but paying prices anywhere from $2.50 to $3.50 for a piece of thin cardboard has gotten ridiculous.  It seems that any sentiment expressed or joke told in a card can be relayed in a verbal fashion without getting glue on your tongue from licking an envelope.

Hence, no cards for Valentine's Day today.    

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2006, 01:48:36 PM »

I've read one of his books....hmmm....bought it in Ireland....will have to search for it to get the title....LADDERS AND....  Hmmm
"Snakes and Ladders" It was the second.
The childhood memories in "A Postillion Struck By Lighning" and "Great Meadow" make for beautiful reading.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2006, 01:54:54 PM »

I like Dirk Bogarde as well. I think probably THE SERVANT and DEATH IN VENICE are my favorite performances. I've never seen his version of A TALE OF TWO CITIES. I'll have to look out for that one to come on.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2006, 02:08:36 PM »

Gotta Go! Happy V day!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2006, 02:14:30 PM »

Heading down myself to get an early start on chores and then make some phone calls before TV commences for the evening.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2006, 02:21:30 PM »

That's the one, DR TOMovOZ....haven't sought out any of the others, though.  Is there a good biography available?

DRMATTH - I finally found Dirk's A TALE OF TWO CITIES on VHS on Ebay....after many years.  I kept getting outbid.  There was also a Chinese DVD that turned out to be the Ronald Colman version.

If you like the story - and it's one of my favorites - I think you would like it.  Of course...no one could beat Edna May Oliver in the Colman version - but MOST everyone else is terrific, including Christopher Lee and Dorothy Tutin.

And Dirk is so unbearably handsome that his Sydney the wastral seems a much sadder creature than Colman's.....  And we get the final moment and sound effect that we never get in the Colman-Selznick version.

I only wish it was in color!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2006, 02:24:35 PM »

And I will tell you this, because why shouldn't everyone on HHW know....

Moe Howard told the author of this book that Lou Costello stole his persona from watching Curly when the two teams appeared together in the 1930's at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City.

And Babe Howard has said that Lou wanted to put her husband Shemp Howard under personal contract, because Shemp was funnier than Lou and that Lou didn't want Shemp working at Universal.

Curly was funny.  Lou Costello was MUCH funnier.  Shemp Howard was NOT funny...Lou Costello could never have thought of him as a threat....IMHO.

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2006, 02:36:12 PM »

If you interested in the "cinema" part of Sir Dirk's life, I think "Snakes and Ladders" is the one that gives the most coverage.  He did not really associate much with the film world when away from the camera and was not into "name dropping" as in many autobiographies.  His closest friend from the world of film was Chartlotte Rampling.

I think there are eight books in his "autobiographical" series and about the same number of novels.

His was indeed a remarkably good looking Sidney!

My first memories of Sir Dirk as an actor were in "Doctor in the House" and "Doctor at Sea".The latter had Brigitte Bardot to add to the scenery.

I should also have mentioned "King and Country" as a great performacee and film. The play "Hamp" was its source.  
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2006, 02:36:59 PM »

Today was interesting, on the job.  There were lots of men entering the store who were clearly unfamiliar with grocery stores in general.  They had to be given directions to the card aisle, and several needed help finding the florest's shoppe.  (This was for those who needed to get their ticket punched with more than the standard arrangements found at the front of the store.)  They were unfamiliar with how to swipe their credit cards when it was time to pay, and appreciated the friendly coaching we gave them.

Three or four women commented to me on how lovely the Valentines Day decorations were this year.  I relayed this to the florests after my shift, and they appreciated the relay.

There was one woman who was quivering and shaking.  Her husband had died recently, she told me, and she was still having trouble organizing herself.  (There are times when cashiering can turn into a bartending job.)

And one more part of the day was less than great.  Gwen, who has been a cashier for many a year, is retiring soon.  Today, as she was leaving the store, she sat herself down near the door, having to catch her breath.  She looked a ashen, to tell the truth.  Later, two or three of the women on the staff were looking out the front windows, worried because Gwen was apparently sitting in her car, just sitting.  Later still, after my shift had ended, I checked at the manager's desk, and Stacy and Dixie, two of the assistant managers, asked me how available I might be on Thursday, my next day off.  They were already working out alternate plans, in case Gwen has to miss work.

I really hope Gwen is all right.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2006, 02:40:54 PM »

Good vibes for SWW's co-worker Gwen!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2006, 02:41:43 PM »

Thanks for the additional info DR TOMovOZ - I think I've read what I'm interested in...I may have started one of Dirk's other books...and never finished it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2006, 02:42:10 PM »

Also got the Original Cast Recording of the 1983 production of ZORBA with Quinn and Kedrova....
Or, as some of us like to think of it, with Quinn and Kedrova and Westenberg.

College classmate.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2006, 02:45:46 PM »

I must go peel my knob.

It's a knob of celery root, which I've boiled for an hour.  After peeling, I'll be cutting it into jullienne on my mandoline, then dressing it for a salad to go with our taters and steaks for tonight's dinner.  Hopefully, it will be yummers.

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »

Finally won that WB Stars sing Christmas songs LP....when I get it I will have it transferred to CD for my listening enjoyment!

Also, JRand55, I recently won a paperback book called THE BODY WASN'T UNCLE written by Mr. George Worthing Yates who of course wrote the screenplays to numerous 50s sci-fi films including ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE...evidently he wrote several murder mysteries!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up