Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TIME IS NIGH  (Read 17871 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TIME IS NIGH
« on: February 14, 2006, 12:16:33 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were nigh, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - their mooving very slowly, however, trying to figure out what nigh means.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 12:07:51 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE TIME IS NIGH
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 12:16:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: VESTIBULE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 12:19:16 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to David Levy - even though he doesn't post, he's been around since the days of a certain record label.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 12:33:47 AM »

My favourite BK produced tracks are "With You"/"Gifts Of Love" by Marin Mazzie and "Lion Tamer" by Kristin Chenoweth.
By tracks are from the Stepen Schwartz Album which is by far the most played and loved of the many excellent albums  produced by BK.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 04:04:07 AM »

Favorite track?  Rebecca Luker singing Anything Goes.  Hands down.

And thank-you again to BK for suggesting I get the album.  I was searching for a companion disc to send to my father for his birthday, having already decided to send him Christianne Noll's Ira Gershwin album.  The reccomendation was spot-on; both discs are two of Dad's favorites, and mine as well.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 04:26:10 AM »

Good morning, all!  Well, today I go to Philadelphia and meet Peter Nero.  I'll leave here around 10. and I still haven't decided on my train reading, perhaps the new MOZART'S WOMEN by Jane Glover.  I just finished Anthony Rapp's memoir on RENT and his mother's death, WITHOUT YOU, which I admired more thsn I liked.  I also have the new book MANHUNT, about the Lincoln assassination, so I have 2 hours to decide.

TOD:  "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" by Liz Callaway.  
         "Cowboy Waltz" by Guy Haines
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 04:31:07 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 04:34:12 AM »

I have very bad news to report.

Der Brucer and I went to see the new Pink Panther yesterday.

It wasn't a planned occurance.  What we had planned on seeing was Curious George.  The grandlads only had a half-day of school, due to a faculty meeting or some such thing, so it fell to us (on my day off) to step in and take care of them.  It was either that, or they'd go to day care, where they get to watch Adam Sandler movies.

What we do to keep them on the right track.   :-\

Problem was, when we got to the theater, they weren't showing Curious George.  At all.  No explanations, it was right up there on the board with the showtimes, but they weren't showing it.  So we were stuck with either The Pink Panther or Nanny McPhee.  Or go home, go directly home, do not pass go, do not collect two-hundred dollars.

Pink Panther won out.

There's two things wrong with the film, and they are Steve Martin.  First, he has to be compared with Peter Sellers, something I normally don't like to do but this time I must.  Sellers wore the role of Clouseau like he would a comfortable old glove.  Martin's performance is forced and strained.

Second, the scripts of the original films were relaxed and funny.  The script for this film is, once again, forced.  And it was co-written by Martin.

I will grant the film three things.  First, it is not a remake, but an original script that tells a different story from the first film with the same title.  At least the original remains unscathed.  Second and third, Martin has two co-horts in this film, a secretary played by Emily Mortimer and an assistant played by Jean Reno.  Neither of them are forced, both are funny and charming.

Other than that, the film is a dud.  Beyonce Knowles' acting is mainly done with her breasts, and Kevin Kline doesn't even have those to work with.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 04:38:47 AM »

Valentine's Day greetings!

DR Elmore - Have a wonderful trip to Philadelphia and great concert success!

TOD - Judy Kuhn's "Time After Time" and Shauna Hicks' "Take Me with You, Soldier Boy"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 04:40:46 AM »

Good morning, Elmore!  Der B and I will be heading up to Philly on Thursday (advance scouting for another theater excursion with the grandlads).

But, for now, I must head in for work.  It's Valentine's Day, and we'll be flooded with clueless customers trying to be romantic by decree of the greeting card industry.  The floral department is setting up a special register right at the front of the store, just to bleed as much cash as we can from these dopes.

Want to be romantic for Valentines Day?  TRY BEING ROMANTIC THE REST OF THE YEAR, AND VALENTINES WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF!!!  (No, not you, dear Elmore, I wasn't shouting at you, just at the world in general.  To you, I send hugs and kisses, and der B will just have to cope.)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 04:44:54 AM »

Good morning, DR SWW!  What was the reason you decided against NANNY MCPHEE, if you don't mind my asking.  I think it looks like fun.  Have you seen HOODWINKED?  The boys might like that, and I think you and Der Brucer would have fun with it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 04:46:26 AM »

(No, not you, dear Elmore, I wasn't shouting at you, just at the world in general.  To you, I send hugs and kisses, and der B will just have to cope.)

And I send a hug and kiss back to you and Der Brucer!  Have a fantastic day.

Good morning, DRs Ben and Ginny!  Have I not seen DR Michael Shayne arond lately?

Ben

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 05:06:00 AM »

No, we haven't seen Mr. Shayne around lateley. Come out, come out wherever you are!

Happy Valentines Day to all who choose to celebrate it.

Larry, thanks for the e-bay link to the H&G comic book. Anthony is auditioning this morning for a summer stock production of Beauty and the Beast. I'll show him the link when he gets home.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 05:33:44 AM »

Ahhh....congrats to HHW - founder and posters on the new plateau!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 05:36:09 AM »

TOD:

Titanic Main Title (1953) on Ultimate Titanic
Mothra - on the Godzilla Music Album
Look for a Star on Jeepers Creepers
Many of the cues on the Superman Music Album

BUT ALSO I MUST INCLUDE:

New Words
Turn Around
Chinese Food in Bed
Love Look Away....

And my all-time favorite:

Pitiful Penniless Bums

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 05:41:21 AM »

Going "thrifting" with my sister.....back later in the day!

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 06:10:50 AM »

Well my parents did finally make it home last night at 6pm. And they were able to find a hotel (which is also good since MANY many people had to sleep on the floor in the bus station).

Anyhow, a bunch of you were discussing the Chinese pairs skaters getting the silver medal despite a horrific fall.  Well I agree with DR Cillaliz. I was thrilled that they won the silver medal.

They went for it and tried an extremely difficult manoeuvre.  They could have played it safe but they didn't.  I was shocked that the woman was able to skate after that fall.  And I thought it took a lot of guts for her to skate.  And they were great!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 06:37:02 AM »

WQXR this morning is playing romantic music for Valentine's Day:  just heard Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet Fantasia, and now it's the Act One love duet from MADAMA BUTTERFLY.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 06:44:20 AM »

Happy Valentine's Day all!  I am listening to my present from Rodzinski, one of two Jane Monheit CDs.  I am downloading them on to my iPod to listen to today.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 07:01:10 AM »

How is anyone in this family going to lose weight if I keep skipping the gym and Walty keeps eating Killbot's breakfast??

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 07:21:13 AM »

Happy Valentines Day

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 07:28:11 AM »

Good morning and Happy Valentine's Day!!

Beautiful day in the offing here with temps in the high 50s and cloudless blue skies. Just gorgeous and perfect for a walk later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 07:31:20 AM »

My favorite BK produced track. Well, I've talked about this song so much I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't help it. I have always found the song hauntingly beautiful and the performance perfection:

Debbie Gravitte's "Water Under the Bridge."

Runners-up: From the SONDHEIM AT THE MOVIES CD, I also adore "The Glamorous Life" and "What Can You Lose?"

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 07:31:52 AM »

Notes from the notes:

Didn't Blondie record the song "The Tide Is Nigh"?? :P

I must attend at least a couple of performances of the play. Plus, I must write, write, write (that is three writes which, of course, don’t make a wrong).

However, In San Francisco and other places where left turns are either prohibited or just impossibe, three rights do make a left!

Favorite tracks - there are SO many, however I do love bk's "The Sweetest of Nights and the Finest of Days", "Getting Away WIth You" the Burt Bacharach Album, and a few others, if they come to me, I'll post them!

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 07:32:23 AM »

Well, tonight, we see the results of the tinkering that CBS and ABC have been doing to their schedules:

No COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF and no LOVE MONKEY.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 07:34:42 AM »

We do get a new episode of HOUSE, THE CLOSER continues its winning reruns (which I'm seeing for the first time), and THE SHIELD proceeds with its electrifying fifth season.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 07:36:15 AM »

I do want to watch THE UPSIDE OF ANGER today which I recorded from HBO-HD. Since I have no afternoon plans (other than a walk), should be able to watch it in its entirety.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 07:37:44 AM »

Just got a note from Amazon reminding me that the Margaret Rutherford MISS MARPLE movies come out on February 28th! Can't wait!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2006, 07:51:41 AM »

I'm up, I'm up and have been since 7:30.  I'm shaved, I'm caught up and enjoying your choices.  Since this is a workshop day, perhaps I'll comment on the tracks you've chosen and tell you about recording them.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2006, 08:07:52 AM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES

Since I didn't say much about it on Sunday, I thought I'd add a comment or two here now.

spoiler- - - - - - -

I got really angry with the Susan storyline for the first half. The flaky gay boyfriend who objected to his lover's wedding was absurd coming at the last minute with her in irgent need and the guy wanting to help. The whole scenario smacked or uber-contrivance, and I didn't enjoy it.

Later, when her ex-husband volunteered to pick up the slack, that made a lot more sense, and it should be fun hiding the truth from Edie. This should have been the story from the beginning.

The Tom-Lynette storyline was rather fun. Frat boy shenanigans aren't surprising in certain business operations, and I could see Lynette's slow jealousy beginning to burn despite her hiding behind a mask of office professionalism. Nah, as long as the work gets done, let the boys be boys.

I didn't buy the Bree/Betty confrontation. Betty still has just as damning a piece of information about Bree as Bree has about Betty plus Bree broke and entered her home. That was all wrapped up too neatly.

Gabby/maid story: typical.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2006, 08:10:34 AM »

I'm up, I'm up and have been since 7:30.

I woke up at 7:30, too, and I didn't want to. Wish I could have slept several more hours, but it was already light outside (Daylight Savings Time, where are you?), and I just couldn't fall back asleep.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up