« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2006, 10:45:38 PM »

Better suds than skuds!

Now that joke simply bombed!  8)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:OUTRE
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2006, 10:46:16 PM »

DR Rodz and others

Here is a lovely site to test your North Dakota- ness...

BTW, a nickname for North DAkotans is Nodaks but I have come to learn that in OZ that can sometimes mean no pants.....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2006, 10:46:48 PM »

Back from a good show.  Energy back to being a bit low occasionally, which is irksome, especially after last night's terrifically played show, but it was still good, Matt especially so.  We had about two-thirds full, which was nice, and while they weren't that demonstrative, they really liked the show.  Now I shall eat some nuts.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2006, 10:46:49 PM »

Crepes are chilling with their buttercream layers, chocolate glaze is cooling.  In about 20 minutes, I'm going to glaze the pile of crepes.  This has been some undertaking, and the DP is just sitting there like so much fish like he's suppose to, but he doesn't miss a chance to be sure I'm cleaning up.  I like to have a great time creating in the kitchen, he doesn't always see it that way.

I have a feeling the finished product is not going to look at all like Martha's.  It certainly isn't as tall, and it looks a bit crooked.  Oh well, it's still a pile of crepes with buttercream and chocolate, what can go wrong?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2006, 10:51:43 PM »

Crepes are chilling with their buttercream layers, chocolate glaze is cooling.  In about 20 minutes, I'm going to glaze the pile of crepes.  This has been some undertaking, and the DP is just sitting there like so much fish like he's suppose to, but he doesn't miss a chance to be sure I'm cleaning up.  I like to have a great time creating in the kitchen, he doesn't always see it that way.

I have a feeling the finished product is not going to look at all like Martha's.  It certainly isn't as tall, and it looks a bit crooked.  Oh well, it's still a pile of crepes with buttercream and chocolate, what can go wrong?

ARe you going to share DR Matthew??? They sound delicious
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2006, 10:52:25 PM »

Thanks a million, DakotaCelt. I could have done my own online research, but I wanted an insider's viewpoint. Hey, I kinda corrected myself on the Bismarck thing. You gotta give me a little credit for that!

British territory? That is interesting. Although the Brits did have Canada. You're right though. Not something you hear about.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2006, 10:52:41 PM »

Matthew, can you fax me a crepe?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #217 on: February 18, 2006, 10:55:05 PM »

Another thing about the Great Plains it is diverse in culture and ethnicity for it is something they maintained. ND has Germans from Russia, GErmans, Canadians  and Scandinavians.

WE also have jokes for a lot of things.... The ethnic jokes, espeically Norwegian ones, are rampant

MN has lots of Scandinavians and groups from the balkans. It ialso has one of hte largest populations in the midwest of Irish.

SD has Native American, Germans from Russians and Anglo-Americans aka YANKS!!!

Oddly MT has a large population of Confederate descendants....

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2006, 10:56:30 PM »

BK, wonder what's gotten hold of the energy. Are the houses not lively enough, and the early-in-the-run giddiness is no longer around to carry the day?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2006, 10:57:56 PM »

Thanks a million, DakotaCelt. I could have done my own online research, but I wanted an insider's viewpoint. Hey, I kinda corrected myself on the Bismarck thing. You gotta give me a little credit for that!

British territory? That is interesting. Although the Brits did have Canada. You're right though. Not something you hear about.

You're welcome Rodz!!!

Yes, you do get credit for that....

Yes, Many of the Canadians that cmae down are descendants fo the Tories that went into Canada after the Revolution and migrated west. Some of my rellies came from Germany, settled in Dakota Territory and in the early 1900s some of htem moved in to Canada after Saskatchewan and Alberta were opened for settlement.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #220 on: February 18, 2006, 10:59:07 PM »

BK, wonder what's gotten hold of the energy. Are the houses not lively enough, and the early-in-the-run giddiness is no longer around to carry the day?

Maybe the building has bad karma??

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #221 on: February 18, 2006, 11:00:45 PM »

Bea Arthur brought the bad karma, I bet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: February 18, 2006, 11:03:01 PM »

The audiences have been terrific.  Part of the problem is the space itself, which is somewhat deceptive for the actors - they think they're having vocal energy but they're not.  It's not a huge deal, but, for example, when they're playing a scene upstage, or seated on the sofa, there are many times when they just start talking as if they were in a real living room, which doesn't work in this theater.  I've taken to calling those performances "the living room play".  I don't want them to overdo it, I just need the vocal energy up and not "whispery" because low vocal energy and "whispery" doesn't cut it in this space.  Matt is fairly consistent and fine, but if Tammy goes to the low vocal energy place then Matt has to adjust to it or he'll seem too big - for weeks I've been trying to get Tammy to be self-aware and realize when it's happening.  If she feels she's not at Matt's vocal level, she needs to make that adjustment immediately - she can't go on or he has to go DOWN to her energy, which isn't good.  Again, I don't think these are things the audiences really notice, but it does make a difference in how the show ultimately connects with the audience.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #223 on: February 18, 2006, 11:04:08 PM »

Funny you should mention that. I haven't been inside the actual studios, but today, one of TPunk's friends we drove to LI with, his dad is the prop manager for all the NY ABC soaps. If they need a lamp or whatever, or have to buy a prop they don't already have, this guy's dad picks it out.

Not that that helps you at all, but it's sorta interesting.

Yes and No....

I have been fascinated by them for years... I blame it on a professor I had for American Culture....

That is another topic of discussion... It is amazing how ignorant that many americans are of their own culture and its differences regionally...  Not all Americans but many are.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #224 on: February 18, 2006, 11:07:22 PM »

The audiences have been terrific.  Part of the problem is the space itself, which is somewhat deceptive for the actors - they think they're having vocal energy but they're not.  It's not a huge deal, but, for example, when they're playing a scene upstage, or seated on the sofa, there are many times when they just start talking as if they were in a real living room, which doesn't work in this theater.  I've taken to calling those performances "the living room play".  I don't want them to overdo it, I just need the vocal energy up and not "whispery" because low vocal energy and "whispery" doesn't cut it in this space.  Matt is fairly consistent and fine, but if Tammy goes to the low vocal energy place then Matt has to adjust to it or he'll seem too big - for weeks I've been trying to get Tammy to be self-aware and realize when it's happening.  If she feels she's not at Matt's vocal level, she needs to make that adjustment immediately - she can't go on or he has to go DOWN to her energy, which isn't good.  Again, I don't think these are things the audiences really notice, but it does make a difference in how the show ultimately connects with the audience.

IT does make sense...  

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #225 on: February 18, 2006, 11:10:12 PM »

Antoehr thing Rodz, many parts of the plains have only gotten internet access in the last 5 years.

Ironically for all hte years I have roamed the net, I have only met three people from ND. Very odd....

They tend to pursue other interests than being on the net and being 'connected' in that way.

For me, it is way to explore for the internet is an equalizer in a way for those of with challenges such as hearing or sight.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #226 on: February 18, 2006, 11:13:30 PM »

I see so it's more about vocal control than performance energy.  It's a tough one. The space I've done most stuff in here is a terrible space, a big old ballroom basically that eats up sound, and I have to tell people, look, you have to be louder here than you want to be. And you get people who want to do nuanced performances, understandably, but the bottom line is, if nobody hears you, your performance doesn't mean anything.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2006, 11:17:35 PM »

I see so it's more about vocal control than performance energy.  It's a tough one. The space I've done most stuff in here is a terrible space, a big old ballroom basically that eats up sound, and I have to tell people, look, you have to be louder here than you want to be. And you get people who want to do nuanced performances, understandably, but the bottom line is, if nobody hears you, your performance doesn't mean anything.

THat makes perfect sense. I can hear well in some environments and in others I cannot hear. It is like the room has very bizarre acoustics...

For me, stores, espeically places like Target or grocery stores, are very difficult for me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2006, 11:17:58 PM »

Dakota in song:

I headed for the hills, the Black Hills of Dakota
I sure was glad to get out of there alive...

"Day of the Locusts" by Bob Dylan

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2006, 11:20:26 PM »

I wish I could see this play... I would love to see Matt on stage...

bk, have you had a chance to listen to Christina's CD?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #230 on: February 18, 2006, 11:26:25 PM »

Thanks again for the lessons, DakotaCelt. There is indeed a lot of ignorance about different regions, and I've seen it in every region I've lived in. Places are rarely quite what you've been led to expect.

It being nigh 3 am. (And I learned this very week the origin of the word "nigh"), I shall now hit the hay.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2006, 11:28:35 PM »

Dakota in song:

I headed for the hills, the Black Hills of Dakota
I sure was glad to get out of there alive...

"Day of the Locusts" by Bob Dylan

I have heard of that song...

Hmmm.....

Ole Rolvaag and Aagot Raaen write about the Dakotas. Actually Aagot Raaen is from Hatton, ND.  Other Writers are Deborah Macumber, and Lorraine Snelling.

I am not sure if Snelling's books will be available out east.

Soem famous North Dakotans:

Teddy Roosevelt (Honorary ND) He spent several years in the ND badlands ranching!!

http://www.governor.state.nd.us/awards/rr-gallery/toc.html

Angie Dickinson
Dorothy Stickney
Roger Maris
Louis L'Amour
Lawrence Welk
Lynn Anderson - country western singer
CArl Ben Eielson
Peggy Lee (her real name is Norma Egstrom)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 11:34:25 PM by DakotaCelt »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2006, 11:35:04 PM »

Cake is "glazed" it looks really lopsided, I'm hoping to fix that with some sort of illusion thing tomorrow.  LOL

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2006, 11:37:24 PM »

Cake is "glazed" it looks really lopsided, I'm hoping to fix that with some sort of illusion thing tomorrow.  LOL

Are u going to share with us Matthew?? I sure it still tastes just fine!  :D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2006, 11:41:55 PM »

DR George - thank you for the info about the Scarlatti sacred CD.  I've tried to find it at the library where I work and the public library here where we live and through M. O. R .E . (a clunky online resource sharing initiative - Moving Ohio's Resources Everywhere), all to no avail.  Maybe I'll have to order it online.

Does your library have an Interlibrary Loan department that could request it from libraries around the country?  They might even get it from the library where I work!  Or I could make you a copy. (shhhhh...don't tell anyone! ;))

« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 12:02:18 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #235 on: February 18, 2006, 11:44:00 PM »

Does your library have a Interlibrary Loan department that could request it from libraries around the country?  They might even get it from the library where I work!  Or I could make you a copy. (shhhhh...don't tell anyone! ;))

Oh yes, I am familiar with ILL....  NDSU is one of the biggest users of ILL on the academic front!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2006, 11:49:22 PM »

DR Matthew - You mean you didn't discretely cut a small notch in the edge of each crepe in order to line them up properly?  Also, a bamboo skewer helps - like when frosting a layer cake, just to keep the layers from "drifting" while applying the frosting.  -Find the center of each crepe by gently folding it in half and then half again - into fourths.  "X" marks the spot.  Then just center the crepe on the skewer...

;)

However, You can also just trim it to make it even... Then you can enjoy the "chef's treat".

:)

*Actually, I believe I got those helpful hints from one of Martha Stewart's books.  There's also a great chapter on constructing a Wedding Cake in "Baking with Julia" - and it's Martha Stewart who is the guest chef for that chapter.  Quite informative and tons of pictures.  -And one of my favorite and oft-used cookbooks.

And for the "illusion" - slightly sweetened, freshly whipped cream can cover - and forgive - a multitude of sins.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2006, 11:55:34 PM »

States I Have Not Been To, by Rodzinski:
Alaska, Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Minnesota.

Not certain about Missouri.

When I was on my one and only "bus and truck" tour - Anything Goes - in the span of just over two months we drove through all but five of the continental United States!  Across Texas three times!?!!?  UGH!  We started in Logan, UT, and ended in Red Bank, NJ.

The states we did not traverse were: Washington, Oregon, California, Florida and Maine.

Thankfully - and miraculously - all of us on the bus liked each other.

And we even drove through the Badlands... Parts of which reminded me of a Martian landscape... Very cool.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #238 on: February 19, 2006, 12:02:08 AM »

When I was on my one and only "bus and truck" tour - Anything Goes - in the span of just over two months we drove through all but five of the continental United States!  Across Texas three times!?!!?  UGH!  We started in Logan, UT, and ended in Red Bank, NJ.

The states we did not traverse were: Washington, Oregon, California, Florida and Maine.

Thankfully - and miraculously - all of us on the bus liked each other.

And we even drove through the Badlands... Parts of which reminded me of a Martian landscape... Very cool.

I find the badlands intriguing...

When did you come through ND?  I wonder if it was the tour that played in Fargo?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up