Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NAMELY MARCH  (Read 23019 times)

Ginny

Re:NAMELY MARCH
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2006, 07:10:28 AM »

Oh, and I haven't yet watched my DVD, but last night I did watch the second-to-last episode of "Skating with Celebrities."  Can't wait until the final, which is on here Thursday night.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2006, 07:11:37 AM »

Vixmom - Did you get my PM?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2006, 07:13:38 AM »

As for "Barbara Cook & Elaine Stritch: In Alphabetical Order"...

The scheduled start time was 7:00.  However...  When we were heading into the theatre, I noticed that there were still many(!) ticket envelopes at the Guest Check-In table, and even after the "chimes" had sounded a couple of times, there were still a lot of people milling about the lobby, chatting and enjoying a pre-show cocktail (or two).  Well...

Eric Stern and Rob Bowman and their bandmates hit the stage at 7:10.  They tuned.  And then they sat there.  For a while.  We all sat there.  However, it did provide an opportunity for me to do a good scan of the audience - we ended up with a great seats: first row, center loge - basically dead center with the stage.  In any case, I was able to spy Marvin Hamlisch, Jonathan Hadary, Nathan Lane, Jonathan Butterell, and a couple of "society people".

Well, around 7:20 the lights dimmed, Eric Stern started the vamp, and Barbara Cook came out...

"I hear singing and there's no one there..."

Then, after her verse, Elaine Stritch made her entrance...

"You don't need analyzin'..."
*And I also caught Rob Bowman switching places at the piano for Ms. Stritch's verse.  :)

LOTS OF APPLAUSE!

:)

Then after an extended patter/scripted section (credited to the director of the evening, Jack O'Brien), Elaine Stritch sang the following:

"I Wanna Get Married"
-Followed by a monolog of sorts recounting some of her various affairs and indiscretions.
"Why Him?"
"I’ve Been to a Marvelous Party"
-Which included a couple of interpolations between each verse, recounting more of her various affairs and indiscretions.
"But Not for Me"/"If Love Were All"

Then more patter... Then Barbara Cook sang:

"I’m Beginning to See the Light"
"Ain’t Love Easy"
"Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man" (segued into...)
"Bill"
"Ac-cent-tchuate the Positive"

Then they reprised their duet from Barbara Cook's Met Concert a few weeks ago:
"The Grass Is Always Greener"

Then Elaine requested that Barbara sing:
"Losing My Mind"

Then Barbara requested that Elaine sing:
"50 Percent"

Then in closing:
"There’s No Business Like Show Business"

And as they were taking their bows, I noticed that Elaine Stritch signaled her pianist, Rob Bowman, to go back to the top.   And then I watched as Rob and Eric started to dig out the chart from the pile on the piano and/or the floor, for one final reprise of:

"You’re Just in Love"
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2006, 07:15:23 AM »

And that was the basic play by play.  As for my personal thoughts, opinions and reactions... Well, I need to move my car first...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2006, 07:15:34 AM »

Speakingof Dennis Weaver... several years ago I saw a documentary about him and the his wife and the house they built.  It was very interesting.  The walls were all made of tires packed with dirt and stacked on one another and then the whole thing was plastered over.  The end result was "different" but not unpleasing .

http://www.dennisweaver.com/howearthshipworks.html
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2006, 07:16:52 AM »

Good morning!

We're heading into spring early this year. By the end of the week, it's going to be 80. Today is partly cloudy but in the mid-60s, so sweater weather today and shirt sleeve weather tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 07:17:17 AM »

Jose - Row A loge were the seats that were popping up on Telecharge yesterday for $75.   Do you know if they ended up papering, or are you too much of a gnetleman to say?

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 07:18:11 AM »

Good health wishes to all those who are under the weather. Coming out from under the cloud of infirmity myself, I know how these vibes can really help!

vixmom

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2006, 07:19:19 AM »

Vixmom - Did you get my PM?

Just read it, thank you!!! Now I can go about my day!

vixmom

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2006, 07:19:45 AM »

Jose - Row A loge were the seats that were popping up on Telecharge yesterday for $75.   Do you know if they ended up papering, or are you too much of a gnetleman to say?

What is "papering" ?

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 07:20:07 AM »

I also liked BEGGARS & CHOOSERS very much. I didn't have Showtime back then, but a friend used to tape episodes for me when he would think about it, and once I got Showtime, they would occasionally rerun them on one of the sister Showtime channels and I'd catch some of them then, too.

Why haven't they come out with DVDs of the show, I wonder?

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2006, 07:21:01 AM »

"Papering" means giving away free tickets to people interested in seeing a show so that it looks like there is a paying audience in the house.

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 07:21:05 AM »

Rodzinski "The Curse of Fatal Death" sounds like something Vixdad would love... is it commercialy available "stateside"?

vixmom

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2006, 07:21:59 AM »

"Papering" means giving away free tickets to people interested in seeing a show so that it looks like there is a paying audience in the house.

Now that's a list I need to get onto !!

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2006, 07:23:34 AM »

Lots of new TV episodes on tonight plus THE CLOSER which I continue to enjoy tremendously.

I'm pleased that the local WB is actually showing SUPERNATURAL tonight and not preempting it with a basketball game.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2006, 07:29:43 AM »

I would have staked my life on the fact that Lance and Brian are Kerwin brothers, but I might be wrong. I certainly remember seeing that in print, but the writer could have been mistaken.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2006, 07:38:25 AM »

Just got an update from Amazon reminding me that the Miss Marple/Margaret Rutherford movies are coming out in two weeks.

It can't be soon enough to suit me!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2006, 07:40:46 AM »

Funny thing about those seats...

My friend, James, who ended up treating me to last night's concert :), had noticed those tickets on Tele-Charge too earlier in the day.  "So, are you interested in going?"  -Well...  And those seats were still available when he checked the site at 5:30...

After some waffling on my part, we decided just to head to the box office closer to show time to see what was available - and also to see if they were going to offer any rush ticket discounts - which Lincoln Center does on a regular basis.

When we hit the Box Office window at 6:50, we ended up with the same Front Row, Loge seats that had been on Tele-Charge all day.  And, again, they were great seats.

It did not appear they were papering since there were still couple of empty seats on the fringes of the theatre.  However, it was sort of easy to determine who was there for the "Benefit" and who was there for the "Concert" - Tux/Gown vs. No Tux/No Gown.

However, James had noticed that when the event was first posted on some "Entertainment Calendar", it was listed under "Avery Fisher Hall", and not the smaller "Vivian Beaumont".  Hmm...  And since the public press releases did not come out until the past few days... He was wondering if the event was supposed to play Avery Fisher Hall, but was then transferred to the Beaumont after lack of ticket sales.  But, then again, it was a benefit for Lincoln Center Theatre, so...

In any case, we both enjoyed the concert very much, and the dinner afterwards at Il Divino was very nice too.

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2006, 07:45:36 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I see bits of blue sky trying to peek through the gray, so perhaps our "storm" is short-lived.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2006, 07:49:26 AM »

Heading out in a little while to have lunch with friends and then buy LADY AND THE TRAMP at Circuit City.

WBBL.

FJL

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2006, 07:53:29 AM »

Jose - I don't know what was planned before Feb. 16th.  But the "cheap" tickets went on sale on Feb. 16th, and at that point, it was definitely clear that the seat locations they were selling were at the Beaumont.   I had bought a few tix (for the friends who watched our dogs the other day while we were on our trip) and the charge slip is dated Feb. 16th and the locations then were clearly Beaumont locations.  I think the dinner after the show was always planned to be within Avery Fisher Hall somewhere.  I think that had this show not been so soon after Cook's sold-out appearance at the Met and Stritch's heralded stint at the Carlyle, ticket sales (especilaly the benefit tix) would have been even better.  But there was some feeling of "Oh, just did that a few weeks ago" among the ardent fans of both Cook and Stritch, as far as I could gather.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2006, 07:53:59 AM »

All in all, it really was a wonderful evening.  And even though the whole concert lasted just about 90 minutes, it was not too short (nor too long).

The patter/scripted sections were fun, and helped set up the whole "let's make this whole evening seem impromptu" premise.

The pairing of performers was also revelatory.  Barbara Cook is undoubtedly the better singer/vocalist, but Elaine Stritch's story-telling can't be beat.  -And her rendition of "50 Percent" had me tearing up a couple of times - and it was also nice to hear the verse again.  Each lady was able to showcase her strengths, and there was a genuine sense of camaraderie between them.

For me, the whole evening was sort of like a homecoming for me.  I had first come to really notice - and really love - both performers through the "Follies in Concert" recording.  And since that was performed and recorded just across the plaza at Avery Fisher Hall...

And a big(!) smile came across my face as soon as I heard the intro to "Accentuate the Positive"...  I remember Barbara Cook performing that arrangement many years ago on some late-night, local talk-show in DC with her beloved Wally Harper at the piano.  I loved it the first time I heard it, and I fell in love with again last night.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 07:55:49 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2006, 07:59:39 AM »

...It was also fun watching how each lady dealt with lyric and rhythmic flubs.

*And I have a feeling Ms. Stritch wanted to reprise "You're Just In Love" in order to get the entrance for the counterpoint section correct.  Alas, it was Ms. Cook who ended up two beats off the second time round.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2006, 08:04:35 AM »

Jose - I don't know what was planned before Feb. 16th.  But the "cheap" tickets went on sale on Feb. 16th, and at that point, it was definitely clear that the seat locations they were selling were at the Beaumont.   I had bought a few tix (for the friends who watched our dogs the other day while we were on our trip) and the charge slip is dated Feb. 16th and the locations then were clearly Beaumont locations.  I think the dinner after the show was always planned to be within Avery Fisher Hall somewhere.  I think that had this show not been so soon after Cook's sold-out appearance at the Met and Stritch's heralded stint at the Carlyle, ticket sales (especilaly the benefit tix) would have been even better.  But there was some feeling of "Oh, just did that a few weeks ago" among the ardent fans of both Cook and Stritch, as far as I could gather.

I could actually sense that last night too.  There were a couple of people wondering aloud what each lady would perform last night... Would Ms. Cook sing what she sang a few weeks ago at The Met?  Would Ms. Stritch do an abbreviated version of "At Liberty"?  However, everyone seemed to be pleased with the final product
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2006, 08:07:25 AM »

As for favorite era of clothing...

I'm also a fan of the 20's and 40's.  However, after seeing the idealized version of the 50's that Martin Pakledinaz came up with for Damn Yankees - and the current Broadway revival of The Pajama Game, I wouldn't mind the 50's either.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2006, 08:10:21 AM »

OH!!!  And Barbara Cook said the F-word last night too!

*It goes without saying that Elaine Stritch said it last night too... A couple of times.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2006, 08:11:18 AM »

Oh...

Where is "I Wanna Get Married" from?
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2006, 08:14:15 AM »

Re the fifties -

In law school, a friend who was born in 1959 heard that I was born in 1960, and said, totally deadpan:  "Oh, wow, you missed the fifties, man?  They were great!"

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2006, 08:17:31 AM »

FJL, glad you enjoyed my “teaser”.  I simply felt details weren’t needed. ;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2006, 08:18:51 AM »

Joy, the best of wedding vibes to Amanda!  

And I thought I had concerns before my wedding, only one really but it was a biggie.  I didn’t know if my mother would be sober.  She didn’t make it to the rehearsal, which was just fine.  To the wedding she made it, and stayed sober throughout. :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up