Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLOCK STRUCK TWELVE  (Read 52391 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE CLOCK STRUCK TWELVE
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2006, 08:01:17 AM »

Burke Library?

I think that clerk has the name wrong, dear DR PennyO.  What you are looking for is the Brand Library, which houses the cache of art and music collections of the Glendale Library system.

It's quite a place, located on the northern side of the San Fernando Valley.  The original house was built by Leslie C. Brand (for whom Brand Boulevard was named), and has a distinctly Moroccan/Spanish/Indian flair.  The library's building has been extended, with stark modern archetecture of course, but has kept the clean white exterior.

I remember the place quite well, because my mother used to borrow prints from their collection, to hang on our livingroom wall.  The surrounding terraced park is also great fun.

Have a grand time exploring the library - I think you'll enjoy it as much as I always did!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2006, 08:01:53 AM »

Sadly, libraries are not known for dancing.  Too noisy, I suspect.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2006, 09:20:04 AM »

HBO is also premiering a new drama series about a Morman (Bill Paxton) with multiple wives after THE SOPRANOS tonight. The subject matter does really seem interesting to me on first reading, so I may wait to watch it on one of teh many rebroadcasts it'll have this week when other things on are reruns.

I have been waiting for that show, BIG LOVE, to come on.  I think that Rodzinski and I will watch it.  We need something to replace Project Runway.  I know this is so un-PC but I am fascinated by the Mormon culture.  I read Under the Banner of Heaven which is about the origins of the religion and how many different fundamentalist sects branched off under various prophets.  I've also seen a few news specials about the prevailance of physical and sexual abuse in these polygamous (sp?) communities.  I think part of my fascination comes from the fact that I went to school with a number of Mormons (not fundamentalists).  The director of our annual musical was Mormon and I was friends with some of her kids who were also in the shows.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2006, 09:23:22 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, it's actually already the afternoon here, but it still feels like morning to me.  I tried to get out of bed around 9:00, but that wasn't going to happen.  When I heard the announcer of WQXR say it was now Noon, well...

I believe it's raining outside too.  I can hear it, and I can tell the car traffic sounds different.  And the lady on the radio said it was raining... but I have yet to look outside for myself.

Hmm..

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »

Yo!

Yesterday afternoon i went to Sherman Oaks to a small reunion of classmates from High School, at a cozy little restaurant on Ventura Bl. Jane and Keith were there - Jane looking lovely and Keith looking like Perchik from FIDDLER - and a couple of others i remember well. AND sitting one over from me on my left - Susan Marton - the 2nd from left girl in the picture of jane's wedding which she posted a few days ago! Hi, Susan! She looks exactly the same, except her jawline is slightly less defined (sound familiar, anyone?) and her hair is a little shorter. But she still has the same birthday as mine. So i gave Jane and Keith all your hello's, and she hello'd back at ya!

Did Jane have any See's with her?

;)

*And I love how you describe Keith as looking like Perchik!  :P
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2006, 09:25:14 AM »

And the un-PC part is that I have such a hard time believing that all of these prophets (it seems that at any given time there hundreds of men claiming to be the second coming) are hearing the direct word of God telling them to marry as many teenage girls as they can.  I'm such a skeptic.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2006, 09:36:59 AM »

Then i went through a large music store on Ventura Bl about 2 miles from the restaurant... looking for ANY music from ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, in quest of the song NEVER - about which we spoke yesterday. Nope - outa print! But the clerk gave me the lead of the Burke Library in Glendale, which only stocks music and arts on their shelves. So I'll give 'em a call. I get obsessed, you see... So more research is in the agenda for today.

Plea - if any HHW denizens has a copy of NEVER (and other Lily Garland songs?) from ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, might you be so very very kind to make a copy and send them to me??? I'll pay postage and copy costs. I'll be eternally grateful.

Hmm... Out of print?  Hmm... The Cy Coleman stuff changed hands recently, so, maybe the clerk was looking at the wrong catalog.  Additionally, due to the very incestuous nature of the music publishing biz - and the fact that there are really only two parent companies now, Hal Leonard and Warner Bros. - sometimes finding something 'obvious' is not to so obvious.  -And it doesn't help that there are some titles that both HL and WB share copyrights on due the composer's estates/lawyers/etc.  In any case...

The vocal selections for "On the Twentieth Century" are available for a downloading here:

http://www.sunhawk.com

Here is the link for the vocal selections listing:

http://www.sunhawk.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PRODID=315877

And here is the link for the song, "Never":

http://www.sunhawk.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProdID=315943

All the songs that were in the vocal selections are available for download from the site.

Sunhawk requires a small browser plug-in program called Solero in order to download, view and print out the music files from their site.  *Additionally, if it's one of Sunhawk's Digital Downloads, then you also have the option of transposing your music before printing it out.  -And this option applies to any of the music in their Digital Download library.  And the price is just like a standard piece of sheet music, $4.95.  However, you can also purchase full collections for a discounted price which is usually the price of the book in the store.  They also have special Digital Collections of music available in special bundles for purchase.  Not a bad deal.  Just make sure you have a compatible browser and that your printer is all set to go - once you click "Print", you are blocked from printing it out again unless you purchase it again.

*Oh, and I believe you have to buy a "block" of music - spend something like $20 off the bat.  This basically sets up an account for you on their site.  Then each time you purchase something, the requisite amount is then deducted from your balance.  -Oh, and by setting up the account, you also get a discount on individual titles.

Check it out!

Hope this helps.

:)

Addendum: I pointed this out "below", but thought I would add it here.  Sunhawk's Solero plug-in is only PC, Windows, IE compatible at this time.  It will only run on a Mac if you are running Virtual PC.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 10:05:36 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2006, 09:49:03 AM »

Another movie that affected me in a major way was the Doris Day-Rock Hudson film LOVER COME BACK.  I became obsessed with trying to understand how it worked, why it worked, its wonderful structure, how much a copy it was of PILLOW TALK while at the same time feeling thoroughly original and still relevant when I first saw it, nearly 25 years after it came out.  Ultimately, even with all the arguably misanthropic humor in the film, the journey of the Rock Hudson character made it a transcendent comedy about the redemptive power of love.  I think that movie hit me around the right time in my life as well.

So, when can we expect to see,
LOVER COME BACK - THE MUSICAL?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2006, 09:50:24 AM »

Jose, how many days until you start work on LESTAT?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2006, 10:01:25 AM »

And here are two more sites for Digital Downloads of music:

Sheet Music Direct

http://www.sheetmusicdirect.us/

Sheet Music Direct is the digital arm of Hal Leonard Publishing - otherwise known as "Papa Hal" in the music buyer's biz.  They seem to concentrate on more pop titles, only featuring "Best of" Broadway music.  Which is sort of sad since HL represents Rodgers & Hammerstein, Cole Porter, and even some of the Bernstein, Sondheim and Stephe Schwartz catalog.  However...

SMD uses a different browser plug-in to view their music. I believe it is called "Scorch", which is a product of the Sibelius music-notation software.

Then as mentioned above there is Sunhawk:

http://www.sunhawk.com

Started off as the digital arm of Warner Bros. Music Publishing.  So, there's lots of Gershwin on the site.  Additionally, since Warner bought Valando, you can also get titles from Sondheim and Kander & Ebb on there (some of which are "owned" by both WB and HL).  WB/Sunhawk is also the publisher for Ahrens & Flaherty and Stephen Schwartz.  -Although both Stephen's - Schwartz and Sondheim - have seem to migrated back to HL over the past couple of years.  In any case... Where was I?

Both SMD and Sunhawk have transposing options for more of their music.  However...

There is also Music Notes:

http://www.musicnotes/com

I'm not exactly sure who MN is associated with publisher wise - just never really looked into it - but they do seem to have an adequate selection of Broadway titles.  *They seem to lean toward the HL side of the biz.  However, not all MN are able to be transposed.  From what I can tell, some of their titles are just actual scans of the original music, while some are entered digitally.  When you bring up a piece of music, you'll be able to see whether or not you have the option to transpose.  Additionally, MN uses two browser plug-ins: their own MN Viewer and the Sibelius Scorch plug-in.  -The Viewer does not transpose, Scorch does.

OH!  The Solero plug-in for Sunhawk is not yet Mac compatible.  However, if you have Virtual PC or some other sort of PC emulation software on your Mac, then you can use it that way.  It's an IE plug-in, and since Microsoft is no supporting or developing IE for Macs... Ah, well.  -Which is  why I'm always glad I've kept my old laptop.  It's a Windows based PC.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 10:06:36 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2006, 10:08:23 AM »

Jose, how many days until you start work on LESTAT?

First orchestra rehearsal is this Thursday, March 16, at 9:00AM.

And, Yes, I am still giddy over the whole situation!

Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2006, 10:14:08 AM »

First orchestra rehearsal is this Thursday, March 16, at 9:00AM.

And, Yes, I am still giddy over the whole situation!

I'll look forward to a First Day Report.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2006, 10:22:33 AM »

I'll look forward to a First Day Report.

Me too!!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2006, 10:29:30 AM »

The Sunday Style section of the NY Times today had a big ad (in the pages with marriage announcements) for the Mormon-themed HBO series that looks like a marriage announcement, actually three marriage announcements side by side, all with the same groom.

They have also had ads like this for other marriage-themed entertainments - very notably the musical LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA had taken out a similar ad in the marriage-announcement section last year.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2006, 10:31:41 AM »

What a lovely, long night of sleep I had and boy are my arms tired.  I really needed it, I'll tell you that.  

As has already been mentioned, the Brand Library, not the Burke, in Glendale is great for music - Tammy has been over there a lot.  Or, you can call Rick Starr at Hollywood Sheet Music, tell him you're a friend of mine, and he'll usually Xerox (and charge for) a copy of whatever you need.  But the download sites sound good, too.

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

FJL

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2006, 10:33:38 AM »

TCB - I actually took a shot at getting the stage rights to LOVER COME BACK many years ago, but had no progress on that front.  :(

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2006, 10:35:57 AM »

Hickory Dickory Dock
The Mouse Ran Up the Clock
The Clock Struck One
And Down He Run
Hickory Dickory Dock
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2006, 10:36:12 AM »

We had a Viking Ship yesterday....thanks DR DAKOTA CELT.

And DRLAURA congratulations on your rain!

DR GEORGE is grappling with THE THREE MUSKETEERS and DRGINNY is on her way to WICKED....

I am  off work today preparing for my monthly board meeting of the lovely Putnam County Playhouse and wondering what dumb thing someone will propose or bring up tonight....it never fails.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2006, 10:36:40 AM »

I spent a magical couple of hours yesterday evening with "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire".

WONderful movie!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2006, 10:37:01 AM »

Cold, cold, wet, rainy day here in the East Bay.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2006, 10:39:02 AM »

Magical movies?

Hmmmm....lots of them....but my favorite would be THE RED SHOES.

I was watching MIGHTY JOE YOUNG this morning and I like it much better than I remembered.  The special effects work was a lot of fun....I really liked Joe with the cowboys.  And Terry Moore and Ben Johnson both give nice performances.

And it's always a surprise to see Homer Bedloe and Granny Daisy Moses at the bar at the Golden Safari in Hollywood (though NOT together).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2006, 10:39:41 AM »

Oh.....DR RLP made me think of something...I like the Lord of the Rings movies very much as well.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2006, 10:39:42 AM »

I am  off work today preparing for my monthly board meeting of the lovely Putnam County Playhouse and wondering what dumb thing someone will propose or bring up tonight....it never fails.

Is that where the Spelling Bee originated?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2006, 10:40:40 AM »

Is that where the Spelling Bee originated?

Not quite, but it has certainly made us famous.  And it was very surreal watching The Tony Awards and hearing Putnam County mentioned several times!   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2006, 10:40:57 AM »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2006, 10:42:01 AM »

I had about 6 hours of sleep last night...and I'm still sleepy and yawning.  I may need an early nap this afternoon.

I awoke to the sound of a light hail shower tap-tap-tapping on my bathroom skylight.  I decided I'd go out and get my paper...and the next thing I knew, I was sitting in front of the TV with a bowl of cereal and reading the paper.

Sigh.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2006, 10:48:49 AM »

DR TPunk, you made me laugh this morning! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2006, 10:51:33 AM »

Had a long, busy day yesterday and was gone all day...first to Sherwood, then West Linn, and then Vancouver (Washington)...I tell you that I-205 is getting terrible...two major traffic accidents we passed last evening on our (Mark, James, and I), what should have been, short drive to Vancouver!

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2006, 10:52:15 AM »

Magical movies that make me feel great...I know there are several, but the one that comes to mind just now is BECAUSE OF WINN DIXIE.

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2006, 10:53:46 AM »

Stopped at the Borders in Lake Oswego yesterday during my travels...they were having a great sale on Arabial Pop music CDs (really!) and those wonderful Putumayo world music CDs that I love...I stocked up!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up