Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLOCK STRUCK TWELVE  (Read 52379 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE CLOCK STRUCK TWELVE
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2006, 10:56:20 AM »

I have gotten no DVD watching done so far, and will unlikely get any done today as I really, really need to get this place cleaned. I have so much junk lying around...I can't even get to my dining room table anymore! So off to clean I go...but first I must return a phone call to the wife of an actor (he actually worked with June Kenney!!) who I am hoping to interview. She left me a message and asked me to call her...hopefully that is good news and not bad news.

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2006, 10:59:54 AM »

Page 3 June Kenney in THE CAT BURGLAR dance!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2006, 11:06:10 AM »

Greetings from Los Angeles where it's c-c-c-cold!

Topic of the Day: The first "magical" movie that comes to mind is FANTASIA. I remember I was in Long Beach when they reran it in the theaters a long time ago. On the spur of the moment, I decided to duck into a theater to get my mind off a not-so-good-audition-experience for Long Beach Civic Light Opera. The movie immediately transported me to another place and took me out of my depression. I came out of the theatre literally walking on air!

Thanks Jose for the music downloading sites. I once went to a music store in West Covina that had a machine in which you could insert your sheet music and get a copy of it transposed into another key. Doing it on the internet is much easier (if you've ever been to West Covina, you'll know what I'm talking about. Not one of my favorite places).

Regarding The Brand Library: It's really a good source if you're looking for the hard-to-find. I wanted to find the sheet music to a song Judy Garland sang in Meet Me in St. Louis. She sings it standing on the stairway after she and Tom Drake have put out the lights. I think it's called Over the Bannister. Such a lovely piece. I found it at the Brand with the help of one of the librarians. It's originally a college "goodnight" song that was sung by the men outside the women's dorms. I also found a vocal score for the stage musical version of the movie, Calamity Jane. You can spend hours there!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2006, 11:23:36 AM »

BRAND library, of course - Burke is in another whole time zone...

Thanks, Jose, for all your insights and web sites! And, no, Jane had no See's with her, oddly enough.
PennyO

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2006, 11:42:08 AM »

One lovely thing was that the Bat Mitzvah girl's two best friends came to Temple, one Lutheran and one Muslim and sat side by side, respecting the order of worship and  beaming their pride in their friend's accomplishment.  If we could only spread such love and friendship worldwide.

Very true!! One of my closest freinds is muslim and she is a true gem. She respects my beliefs and I respect hers.

That is such a true message, if it was only practiced more widely
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2006, 11:58:13 AM »

First orchestra rehearsal is this Thursday, March 16, at 9:00AM.

:)

And, Yes, I am still giddy over the whole situation!

:)

Good luck vibes to DR JOSE!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »

Stopped at the Borders in Lake Oswego yesterday during my travels...they were having a great sale on Arabial Pop music CDs (really!) and those wonderful Putumayo world music CDs that I love...I stocked up!

I have a lot of the Celtic releases from Putamayo... Great stuff!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

Hickory Dickory Dock
The Mouse Ran Up the Clock
The Clock Struck One
And Down He Run
Hickory Dickory Dock

Old Doc Warren was a regular at Dick's Tavern and for the last 30 years he'd
ordered the same drink - a walnut daiquiri. One day, Dick ran out of walnuts. He poked around and found an old package of hickory nuts. They would have to do.

Doc arrived as the clock struck six, sat down at his regular spot and ordered
his usual. When Dick put the cocktail up on the bar, Doc took one sip and made a face.

"What in tarnation --", Doc sputtered. "Is this a walnut daiquiri, Dick?"

"Nope," Dick said, shamefaced. "It's a hickory daiquiri, Doc."
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2006, 12:39:09 PM »

Still cannot think of a movie for the TOD
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2006, 12:57:17 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  You'd think it was a Sunday or something.

It's really chilly here in the City of Studio.  I had to write some notes for the Kevin Spirtas CD, which is now being completed so it can go off to the pressing plant tomorrow.  Also did some work on the musical and am now watching a DVD before I go off to see the Lesbian Musical.

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2006, 01:01:31 PM »

Well, doggone it....I called the wife of the actor I was hoping to interview and it turned out to be bad news...John Baer passed away.

Many of you may recall John Baer as the handsome nephew of Basil Rathbone in WE'RE NO ANGELS and as Terry in the old TV series TERRY AND THE PIRATES...and JRand and I will know him as the leading man in AIPs NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST and June Kenney's fiance in THE CAT BURGLAR. He was 82 years old.

Despite the sad news I think I made a new friend in Mrs. Baer, otherwise known as Noureen Jauregui, who is a doll...we talked for over an hour and I found out she went to the Pasadena Playhouse (where she met John...they were married for 53 years) and did a lot of summer stock. Her father owned a ranch that was used for filming many westerns from the 1920s through at least the 70s, I think. Her dad was also a rodeo star and a stunt man in the silent days. His name was Andrew Jauregui.

I am going to see what I can do to get some sort of article out on John Baer and also that magnificent ranch which has an incredible movie history behind it (and now is owned by Disney).

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2006, 01:03:50 PM »

John Baer 1923 - 2006

Michael

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2006, 01:06:17 PM »

John Baer 1923 - 2006

What has he done? Not familar with him.
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »

Michael S., John Baer was in WE'RE NO ANGELS (1956 version), SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN, HUK, TERRY AND THE PIRATES, NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST, CITY OF SHADOWS, BATTLE OF APACH PASS, and lots other B films and television.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2006, 01:22:48 PM »

On a more positive note, I just made a cold call to the star of the TV series NORTHWEST PASSAGE and have arranged to do an interview with him tomorrow evening!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2006, 01:24:05 PM »

Had a nice afternoon of doing laundry (fairly painless) and watching videos.

First up was the remainder of IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME. Always entertaining and highly enjoyable. One of my favorite Garland movies and always has been.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2006, 01:26:30 PM »

Sorry to read about John Baer. I didn't recognize his credits (I bought WE'RE NO ANGELS but haven't gotten around to watching it yet), but I'm sure I saw him on many TV shows during my formative years.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2006, 01:29:19 PM »

Next I watched last Friday night's CONVICTION. There were three cases on tap plus all the continuing personal stories of the young lawyers. They could become characters I'd get interested in, but the show seems too cramped right now.

The cases get solved before the end of the hour, but the personal stories of the lawyers are on-going and serialized each week kind of a hybrid of the self-contained LAW & ORDER models and the on-going serialized nature of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and LOST.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2006, 01:31:23 PM »

Next, I put in YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN with Kirk Douglas, Doris Day, and Lauren Bacall. Only got part of it watched (Miss Bacall hasn't yet made her entrance), but it's as enjoyable as it's always been, and the transfer so far looks just grand. This was the only film in last year's Doris Day boxed set that I hadn't gotten around to watching yet.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2006, 01:33:39 PM »

I am auditioning tonight for A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. I have never auditioned for this director or music director before, and I haven't done a show at this particular theater since 1995, so there is some anxiety present. Keep fingers crossed for me please.

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2006, 01:50:34 PM »

TOTD:

Magic - Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind
          - K-Pax
          - The Milagro Bean Field War
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2006, 01:58:09 PM »

Then i went through a large music store on Ventura Bl about 2 miles from the restaurant... looking for ANY music from ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, in quest of the song NEVER - about which we spoke yesterday. Nope - outa print! But the clerk gave me the lead of the Burke Library in Glendale, which only stocks music and arts on their shelves. So I'll give 'em a call. I get obsessed, you see... So more research is in the agenda for today.

Plea - if any HHW denizens has a copy of NEVER (and other Lily Garland songs?) from ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, might you be so very very kind to make a copy and send them to me??? I'll pay postage and copy costs. I'll be eternally grateful.

PennyO, if the downloading doesn't work, I have the songbook.  I can easily make copies at work and mail them tomorrow.  Let me know.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2006, 02:01:55 PM »

Right now, I'm on break from 3 Musketeers.  We were done with the load-in at 12:30.  Right now, I need to copy a CD for a friend of mine who is working with me in wardrobe who is learning a couple of songs from Gypsy, I'd like to watch a couple of shows from Friday so that I can use that tape to tape tonight's ABC shows, and I need to make sure I correctly set up my VCR to tape tonight's ABC shows, and I need to get my black clothes together, eat something and take a shower...and have it all done in time for me to be back at the theater before 5:30!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2006, 02:03:05 PM »

Still cannot think of a movie for the TOD

Neither can I. :-\

George

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2006, 02:10:32 PM »

Well, I'm gonna go.  I have things to do...and not a lot of time.  Later!

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2006, 02:15:43 PM »

Off to read a little while and try to get a handle on anxiety jitters.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2006, 02:21:20 PM »

I shall now be on my way to see a Lesbian Musical, after which, I shall return.

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2006, 02:23:49 PM »

I think the new HBO series, BIG LOVE (with Bill Paxton having 3 wives) sounds quite interesting.  If I got HBO, I would definitely watch it. But sadly it is not available in Canada.  Although the movie network (which i also do not get) carries all their shows.

I think one of the most interesting parts about this new show is that the 3 wives all seem excellent.  The four of them were on some talk show this week (i think the View).

The show definitely seems like it would be interesting to watch.  They showed some scenes from it.  One of which had all three wives planning out the husband's monthly schedule!  Wow sounds like their will be some jealousy going on there!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2006, 02:50:23 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  You'd think it was a Sunday or something.

It's really chilly here in the City of Studio.  I had to write some notes for the Kevin Spirtas CD, which is now being completed so it can go off to the pressing plant tomorrow.  Also did some work on the musical and am now watching a DVD before I go off to see the Lesbian Musical.

It is 21 degress here....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2006, 03:09:52 PM »

Oy!  It's been a day of melodrama and excitement at the recording office.  I took a taxi down because I had a huge bag of Toyland scores and libretti around 8:45.  Around 9:15, when I turned on the copier, I found the power on the extension cord had been turned off, which was strange, and around yhirty minutes after that, when I stepped out for a second, I learned that the office door had been unlocked all night.  When my co-worker Curtis arrived around 11, we discovered the office manager's laptop was missing from his desk.  There was a postit in place of the computer with a drawn scowly face >:( and "Guess who's got it" written on it.

The police were in around 1, we were all fingerprinted, and it turns out that yesterday the realty office next to us reported an attempted breakin.  The cops cleared out around 4, and here I am.

DR Jose, do you want to come to the office tomorrow morning or Tuesday and help me decipher what hands are copying the Toyland scores?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up