Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: DROOPY EYES  (Read 59784 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:DROOPY EYES
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2006, 06:24:10 AM »

It was supposed to snow this morning.  It hasn't.  Instead, the trees are flowering, driving my allergies wild.

That would make great song title, "Driving My Allergies Wild."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2006, 06:25:07 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Top O' The Mornin' To One AND ALL!!!![/move] [/size]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 06:28:49 AM by Vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2006, 06:25:50 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]d a n c e[/move][/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2006, 06:26:56 AM »

I am listening to The Dubliners on the office cd in honor of the day

I forgot it was St Pat''s Day this morning and am wearing jeans and a black sweater (dress down Friday)

http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/display.pd?bfrom=1&prodnum=3089480&path=25508
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 06:32:24 AM by Vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2006, 06:41:06 AM »

Everything You Need to Know About Saint Patrick's Day
Why green? Why shamrocks? Who's Saint Patrick? Read our list and find out everything you need to know to understand what the merriment is about. Oh, and don't forget to wear green on Saint Patrick's Day to avoid the traditional pinch!

1. Saint Patrick
Saint Patrick, known as the Apostle of Ireland, was a high-ranking Christian clergyman. His legendary use of the shamrock as an illustration of the Trinity led to its adoption as Ireland's national symbol.

2. Ireland
Ireland was Christianized by Saint Patrick in the 5th century. He and his successors founded churches and monasteries that became centers of Christian art and refinement. Saint Patrick's Day is the most important national holiday in Ireland.

3. Feast Day
Saint Patrick's Day, March 17, is the traditional feast day of Ireland's patron saint. In the United States, Saint Patrick's Day has evolved into a celebration of Irish American heritage. Many Irish American communities hold parades, with celebrants dressed in green to symbolize the lush Irish landscape. Some people take it a bit further and dye their hair and food green, and some communities (such as Chicago) go so far as to pour green dye into rivers, lakes, and other bodies of water.

4. Shamrocks
Shamrocks have been considered good-luck symbols by the Irish since early times, and shamrocks or various representations of the plant are frequently worn on Saint Patrick's Day. The hop clover is widely accepted as the original shamrock picked by Saint Patrick. The name shamrock comes from the Irish Seamrog, which means "little clover."

5. Leprechauns
In Irish folklore, leprechauns (Old Irish for "small bodies") are mischievous little old men. These elves, who work as cobblers, are believed to know where gold is hidden.

6. Rainbows
Does tracking down a leprechaun and his hidden pot of gold sound improbable at best? Many people believe that the leprechaun keeps his gold at the end of a rainbow. Have you ever seen the end of a rainbow? Interestingly, one of the definitions of rainbow is "a goal, hope, or ideal that is unlikely to be achieved or realized."

« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 06:42:20 AM by Vixmom »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2006, 06:52:56 AM »

Good morning!

The weatherman and Mother Nature decided to give us a break and ordered up a gorgeous day for us today. COuldn't be more beautiful or mild in temperature, and it's going back into the mid 60s today which should be perfect for walking later.

But cold is on the way.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2006, 06:53:53 AM »

Happy St Patrick's Day my friends!!

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2006, 06:56:45 AM »

Season finale of MONK tonight (it always arrives so quickly), and new episodes of IN JUSTICE and CONVICTION also on tap.

Friday has actually turned into an interesting night of TV for me after being so uninteresting for much of the season. Of course, those of you who like BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and STARGATE have always loved Friday.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2006, 06:57:09 AM »

Media Check:

CD: The Sound of Bollywood Bhangra

VHS: He Laughed Last

DVD: More episodes from LORETTA YOUNG SHOW season one.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2006, 06:58:19 AM »

When I saw the title of today's notes/forum ("Droopy Eyes"), I immediately thought of Ralph Young's tuneful (but cheesy) "Love Eyes" from the indelible WHOOP-UP!

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2006, 06:59:48 AM »

I see that next week's AMERICAN IDOL theme is music from the 1950s. FINALLY, a week where I expect to know every single song that is sung.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2006, 06:59:52 AM »

I've been listening to Irish tenor Frank Patterson, who was a dear friend, and I still mourn his passing.  I met him in the late 1980s after he'd been in John Houston's beautiful film THE DEAD (why isn't that on DVD?).  He, his lovely wife Eile, and their son had a house in Bronxville, and every year Frank produced a St Patrick's Day show at Radio City on the Saturday before March 17.  I think I scored, over all, around 5 of them.  There were clog dancers, harpists, pipers, Eile's brother-in-law was a Dublin comedian who hosted, performers came from all over the east coast.  Frank had a couple of sets, accompanied by Eile on harp or piano and the band.  They were gloriously tacky and a lot of fun.

I still get an ASCAP royalty every year from Frank's "America the Beautiful," which is on one of his television programs they still play on PBS.  Here's to Frank!  I still miss you.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 07:01:33 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2006, 07:02:23 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (soundtrack)

DVD - TEN LITTLE INDIANS
          MURDER AT THE GALLOP
          FIREFLY - disc 4.

DVR - THE SINGING DETECTIVE

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2006, 07:06:47 AM »

And in honor of St. Patrick's Day, I might just take out the laserdisc of LITTLE NELLIE KELLY and watch that. I love Roger Edens' "It's a Great Day for the Irish."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2006, 07:08:22 AM »

I am listening to The Dubliners on the office cd in honor of the day

I forgot it was St Pat''s Day this morning and am wearing jeans and a black sweater (dress down Friday)

http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/display.pd?bfrom=1&prodnum=3089480&path=25508

Ah, lassie--so it's the Black Irish you're being this mornin'.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2006, 07:16:03 AM »

Happy St. Pat's to all our Irish-derived pals!

My ex- is half Irish - the silly, funny, vengeful boil-yer-enemies-in-oil, dark and depressed, prankster, happy-go-lucky half. We both did the Theatricum Botanicum Shakespeare audition yesterday - Actors Equity day (about six people showed up...) - today is non-Equity day.

I did a cobbled together monologue from two Maria scenes. They LAUGHED and LAUGHED through the whole thing!!! Jeez, I love it when that happens. Then they asked me to sing something a capella - oy - I sang a verse of Greensleeves, which was the only quasi-Elizabethan tune that came to mind... (of course, after the fact, wads of great John Dowland songs came streaming in...). Then they asked for something serious - so I gave 'em my wacky ol' Queen Margaret. That stopped 'em in their tracks. Wet blanket, anyone?

Chas did a bit of Iago. His speaking voice is one of the great beauties of all time. Just glorious. And having been a very great character baritone for 20 years in the international opera scene, well, let's just say his broad acting style is ideally-suited to Shakespeare. (my Shakespeare is more like a sit-com. Or a game-show...).

Anyway, the setting is lovely - in the lovely woods of Topanga Canyon, on a little stream. A delightful little theater done in authentic Shakespearean style, for outdoor summer shows. A semi-circle of tiered benches. Walkways and gardens and benches. Lovely. I'd love to work there.
PennyO

vixmom

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2006, 07:20:33 AM »

~~~~Shakespearean Vibes for PennyO~~~~

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2006, 07:20:44 AM »

And this morning, I'll call BK and set a time for our tete-a-tete later this afternoon. He has kindly consented to help with the wonky structure of my play. He is a natural dramaturg - and i just can't see the forest for the trees on this thing, being WAY too close to it for WAY too long. I so look forward to his insights.

George! I got the sheet music yesterday. Thanks so much, boychik. How very nice of you!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2006, 07:22:38 AM »

Thanks, Vixmom!!! Jeez, auditions at MY AGE!!! Actually, I'm having more fun than I've had in decades. I actually LIKE auditioning again, as I did when I were a wee slip of a young actress...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2006, 07:26:16 AM »

Maybe it's that I'm thinking of these auditions as a solo show... after six years of my grueling 90-minute solo show, a three or four minute audition is a piece of cake, and no worries about misplaced -or missed- sound cues or badly-timed light-cues...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2006, 07:26:51 AM »

Well, maybe that's an article: The Audition as Solo Show...
PennyO

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2006, 07:33:41 AM »

The Media Check of Myself

iPod:  I be playin' the fine tunes of those lads from the colonies, Gaelic Storm.  Music to quickin' yer pulse, indeed.  You'll be findin' yourself bangin' your pint upon the tabletop to the beat, if not actually getting up on your feet and poundin' out a step or two with the first pretty miss or mister who's happenin' to walk on by your way.  

Tivo:  THE NEW ADVERTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE -- I have to confess--I've always had a space in me heart for Julia Louise-Dreyfus.  The lass doesn't have to do much in the way of anythin' to keep me captivated.  I'll be catchin' up with her new sitcom this weekend, I'm sure.

DVD:  THE QUIET MAN.  Why, what else would I be watchin'. you fool?  And it's the DVD you must be watchin', for the grasses of Innisfree are no where else greener and the glorious red hair of Maureen O'Hara is not to be matched for its tempermental firey hue.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2006, 07:35:07 AM »

I see that next week's AMERICAN IDOL theme is music from the 1950s. FINALLY, a week where I expect to know every single song that is sung.
But how many will be sung in ways that you will recognize?  Aye, there's the rub!

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2006, 07:36:41 AM »

DR Dan: I read somewhere that the DVD of THE QUIET MAN is a very disappointing transfer. Please give us your impressions of the color quality and sharpness after you've watched. Thanks.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2006, 07:38:18 AM »

I just read that neither the men's nor ladies' champions from the Olympics will be competing at the World Figure Skating Championships next week. Irina Slutskya, the bronze medalist, will also not be competing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2006, 07:40:28 AM »

Media Check:

Der B watched The Wedding Crashers yesterday.  He is now doing the commentary track.

He has been warned: he'd better have Doctor Who recorded for when I get off work tonight, or I shall be quite angry with him.  He managed to bollox up recording Good Eats for me on Wednesday, and I was not at all pleased.

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2006, 07:41:58 AM »

Media Check:

Der B watched The Wedding Crashers yesterday.  He is now doing the commentary track.

He has been warned: he'd better have Doctor Who recorded for when I get off work tonight, or I shall be quite angry with him.  He managed to bollox up recording Good Eats for me on Wednesday, and I was not at all pleased.

OOH!! Dr. Who tonight on SciFi I almost forgot!!! Thanks for the reminder!!!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2006, 07:48:43 AM »

Some of the reviews are in for Entertaining Mr. Sloane, the Roundabout's next entry (Off-Broadway) in their season. The reviews are decidedly mixed. Oh, well. Not surprised. Every so often Roundabout hits a home run but 9 times out of 10 stuck their productions are stuckin the middle, ranging from truly embarrassing (The Women) to just plain mediocre (not walk out at intermission bad, just kind of tedious).

Try being an employee and having to see and discuss the shows constantly with donors and subscribers!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2006, 07:53:11 AM »

Vixmom, vibes and good thoughts to your friends for good health.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2006, 07:54:03 AM »

Does anyone want to write my midterm paper for me.  I have an advanced case of senioritus.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up