Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAY DAY  (Read 52403 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PLAY DAY
« on: March 23, 2006, 12:04:53 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are now happening and with it, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're all thinking about attending tomorrow night's performance of the play.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 12:07:18 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PLAY DAY
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 12:08:52 AM »

And the word of the day is: PETARD!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 12:33:29 AM »

Jean Luc Petard?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:35:29 AM »

I have no idea why I am awake at this hour.  I should be very asleep at this hour., but instead I am awake.

Good eve, DakotaCelt!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 12:36:44 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 12:36:14 AM »

And why do you morn, good George?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 12:39:10 AM »

And why do you morn, good George?

I morn (not to be confused with mourn) because I'm a procrastinator and I just haven't gone to sleep, yet...which I must do now. :)

Goodnight!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 12:48:11 AM »

Good evening SWW

I was just about to turn in for the night... It is nearly 3am here...

Pleasant dreams one and all!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 12:51:27 AM »

Today, der Brucer and I shall toodle down to DC, that toodling town, to witness Scott Bacula singing and hoofing his way through a production of Shenandoah, which is being staged at the Ford's Theater. We have high hopes for this staging, as we thoroughly enjoyed Children Of God as presented by this company, which was the first time we had the pleasure of meeting our DR Jose, who played keyboards at that production.

The connection with DR Jose is a bit more precarious this time, of course, but it exists nevertheless.  It turns out that the choreographer for Shendandoah is someone named Scott, whom he knows.  (Scott has a partner named Michael, who is adored, as well.)  I have a new co-worker, named Kathy, who is in training for the new Super G store that is opening in Middletown, DE, about a month from now.  Kathy was thrilled to learn that we would see Shenandoah, since it's choreographer happens to be her cousin!

Isn't it amazing what we can blame on Jose?

If we get the chance to connect with the cousin named Scott, so much the better!

And I really must get back to that beauty sleep thing people keep talking about.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 12:55:06 AM »

I must to beddibye again myself, for my one day off from work will be busy indeed.  My best wishes to all, and to all wishes that our esteemed BK would soon regale us all with the tale of The Randy Vicar and the Red Miniature Banana.  It is, of course, a classic.

:o

Ben

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 04:38:05 AM »

Hmm, must think about today's question.

I will be E & T all day tomorrow. I am actually taking a day off work and it's not in December. A dear friend won a free night at a hotel in Philadelphia last year at a raffle. He has to use the gift soon before it expires. Since we both collect the State Quarters he thought it would be fun to go see The Mint. Because last year I took no sick days at work I was awarded an extra floating holiday and a $50 Barnes & Noble Gift Card. I haven't used the Gift Card yet but tomorrow I'm using my floating holiday to go to Philly to play tourist. We will go to the Mint and we will look at the theatre where David played in They're Playing Our Song and we will do whatever else enters our little minds. We return on Saturday afternoon. It will be a nice break from the City.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 04:48:42 AM »

I saw Rabbit Hole last night. Although the plot sounds like a Lifetime Movie Network film I really do recommend the show. The performances are excellent and the show rises well above the slightly soap opera sounding plot.

Without giving anything away it's about how a family grieves for the loss of their 4-year old son who died in a traffic accident. Tyne Daly has a heartbreaking scene with Cynthia Nixon in the second act. It's my prediction that they will both recieve Tony nominations for Best Actress and Best Featured Actress. The set is gorgeous and the direction is the good kind where you don't notice it. I abhor cheap sentimentality, the kind you get in most television drama (IMHO). Other people cry, I retch at the sappy dialogue, maudlin and obvious plot points, silly music cues, etc. I find most "drama" today to be over-acted, manipulative and cheap, better at showing you how sensitive the writers and actors are rather than portraying actual situations and evens. I avoid it like the plague. I don't find this to be the case with Rabbit Hole. It's a moving, beautifully acted and brief (two hours and five minutes) look into a family's life as they try to cope with a heartbreaking time in their lives. If you're in New York and you're a fan of well-written drama with excellent performances, I highly recommend this play.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 04:49:07 AM »

I am here all alone and now I'm leaving for a while.

See ya later.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 06:06:13 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've had a liesurely morning and  have to put myself in gear and accomplish a few things while the day is young.

I had a lovely luncheon yesterday with friends from Barnes and Noble -  Tara, Tiffany, Patrick, and Blair - and caught up their lives and the gossip.  I need to run down to the recording office this morning and dtop at  the bank on the way,  After that, the Men's Chorus work arrangements continue.

TOD:  
   1.  Michael Weller:  where is he these days?  I liked Michael very much; he once dated the lady who was my first roommate in New York.  I always liked MOONCHILDREN, which reminded me a lot of the friends I had at Miami University around 1971.  I saw the original LOOSE ENDS with Kevin Kline, and I liked it quite a lot.  I think, like MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG, it's a play for actors who can look young and not for young actors.
  2.  Steve Tesich:  I liked his quirkiness; NOURISH THE BEAST is a play that made me laugh a lot.  I like his screenplay for BREAKING AWAY.  His daughter Amy is my goddaughter Charlotte's best friend. He died too young.
  3.  Beth Henley:  the original production of CRIMES OF THE HEART had a fantastic cast, and I saw it twice.  MISS FIRECRACKER has about half a good play in it, and I liked the film version better.
  4.  Tina Howe:  I never liked her work.
  5.  Larry Shue:  Died too young.  I think THE NERD and THE FOREIGNER are both very funny.
  6.  Thomas Babe:  whatever became of him?  KID CHAMPION is one great play, and i've always found his plays interesting.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 06:08:22 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 06:09:46 AM »

Elmore - I believe that Michael Weller is the bookwriter for the new musical ZHIVAGO, which just went into rehearsal at La Jolla Playhourse (Music by Lucy Simon, Lyrics by Amy Powers and Michael Korie)

FJL

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 06:14:17 AM »

TOD:   I'd say STREAMERS was the most exciting new American play by a new emerging writer that I saw live onstage during this period.  I haven't seen it in a long time, so I don't know how it's held up.

I really enjoyed COASTAL DISTURBANCES in its Broadway production starring Tim Daly and Annette Bening, as we discussed here a while back, but from what I hear, it's turned out to be very dependent on the quality of its two leads.  That Bway production was certainly a blessed event, IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 06:21:40 AM by FJL »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 06:27:15 AM »

TOD:   I'd say STREAMERS was the most exciting new American play by a new emerging writer that I saw live onstage during this period.  I haven't seen it in a long time, so I don't know how it's held up.

DR FJL, I agree!  I always liked David Rabe's plays.  Thanks for the info on Michael Weller.  I haven't seen him since the late 1980s.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 07:05:21 AM »

Good morning!

A beautifuly sunny day here, and highs will be in the mid-50s, so when I go out to lunch later, I won't have to bundle up too tightly.

Rain tomorrow. Yuck!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 07:08:23 AM »

I hadn't even thought about STREAMERS, but I agree that it's powerful and a wonderful play.

I liked Lanford Wilson's trilogy very much and also thought Ernest Thompson's ON GOLDEN POND was very moving. Ditto THE SHADOW BOX by Michael Cristofer.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 07:11:23 AM »

Only two shows that I normally watch have new episodes tonight: WILL & GRACE and MY NAME IS EARL. There is an EARL rerun at 8:30 taking the place of the canceled FOUR KINGS, and THE OFFICE is also a rerun tonight. CBS' shows are all preempted for basketball.

So, I'll be filling in these spots with shows from last night that I've got on the DVR. I'll put OUT OF PRACTICE on at 8:30. I'll do COURTING ALEX at 9:30, and CSI: NY at 10.

That will leave me this afternoon to watch last night's LAW & ORDER, HEIST, and VERONICA MARS. That should clear off the DVR by the end of the evening.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 07:18:44 AM »

I am sorry to say that I don't know from the TOD!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 07:35:59 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Very blue skies even at this early hour.

FJL

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 07:46:11 AM »

Excerpt from a Variety article which might be of interest to MBarnum:

Posted: Wed., Mar. 22, 2006, 5:23pm PT

Passage to India
Par curries favor with Bollywood

By SHILPA BHARATAN IYER, BRYAN PEARSON

Viacom has become the latest Hollywood major to beat a path to India to tap into the country's potentially lucrative film production industry.

PrexyPrexy-CEO Tom Freston kicked off the three-day Frames showbiz confabconfab in Mumbai on Wednesday by announcing that Paramount is mulling the co-production of pics with Bollywood. India's vast filmmaking community turns out some 800 per year.

"We want to produce films here; we don't want to just distribute," he said. "We want to work with Indian producers" in what he called a young market.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 07:47:36 AM »

Re: last night's AMERICAN IDOL elimination.

I was actually surprised that the bottom 3 were as predicted. Usually there is a surprise in there!  I was a bit disappointed that it was kevin and not bucky. But Kevin clearly was not good enough (or going to) win. So i don't mind.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 07:48:09 AM »

Heading down now to do some chores until it's time to clean up for my lunch date.

WBBL.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 07:50:10 AM »

As for last night's LOST

I don't think they showed a preview, which i guess is good.

I ended up watching the show in HD at my sister's house.  It was quite good and the info the prisoner gave locke/jack at the end was creepy. In fact that guy is really creepy, i don't care if he is an other or not.

One thing that I was wondering was whether the baby will really be jin's baby. My sis was thinking that they were gonna show a scene at the end showing that sun slept with the other guy.  I was saying, "sun doesn't lie, and she told jin she'd never been with another man so it can't be so!"
It was so obvious that she was going to be pregnant though.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 08:21:18 AM »

Good Morning!

Ah, soooo nice to be able to sleep past 7:00am this morning.  And now I'm doing laundry!  Exciting, huh?

Well, I have to attend to some other things around the apartment before heading in to the theatre.  We're basically going from 1:30 to 11:00 today - with a nice dinner break in there.  And then we have the same schedule tomorrow.  I'll be bringing my laptop with me, so I should be able to check in and post from there.  So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 08:23:31 AM »

SPOILER

As for last night's LOST

I don't think they showed a preview, which i guess is good.

I ended up watching the show in HD at my sister's house.  It was quite good and the info the prisoner gave locke/jack at the end was creepy. In fact that guy is really creepy, i don't care if he is an other or not.

One thing that I was wondering was whether the baby will really be jin's baby. My sis was thinking that they were gonna show a scene at the end showing that sun slept with the other guy.  I was saying, "sun doesn't lie, and she told jin she'd never been with another man so it can't be so!"
It was so obvious that she was going to be pregnant though.

There were previews on the ABC telecast of the show.  Lots of high drama will ensue next week -- and many things will be revealed!

I think Sun's baby can only be Jin's...even if she HAD slept with that other guy....I think she'd have to be further along in her pregnancy if he were the father.  

I can't remember what the timeline is, so they may be playing tricks with us.  But I believed Sun when she told Jin she's never been with another man.  I think it's "the island"...if Locke, who was paralyzed, can now walk, then surely Jin can father a child.  :)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 08:33:33 AM »

Re: last night's AMERICAN IDOL elimination.

I was actually surprised that the bottom 3 were as predicted. Usually there is a surprise in there!  I was a bit disappointed that it was kevin and not bucky. But Kevin clearly was not good enough (or going to) win. So i don't mind.

Actually, Kevin's voice is much better -- both in quality and range -- than most of the other men and several of the women.

The "not good enough to win" part basically equates to his being too weird-looking/unattractive to win.  Folks like to say he's not good enough...but they never mean vocally, because "vocally" he's better than most.  

Despite Simon's protestations to Paula that it's a "singing competition," it's all about "looks" and "presence" combined with an acceptable vocal ability and has little to do with real vocal talent.  As shallow as that sounds, it's business and the ability to sell a product (i.e. person) that's at stake.  

I think it would be very interesting if, during one week's competition, each singer would stand behind a screen and sing without anyone being able to see them.  The vocals would have to stand alone (like listening to a CD!).  

That would be VERY telling, I think, as to who has the ability to sing and who doesn't.

At the end of the day, however, people have to be attracted to the singer if they're going to buy the singer's albums.  At least in the "real world" market that Simon alludes to.

So...put that Reuben/Fantasia/Carrie Underwood CD on right now and revel in the "real world ideal" of the American Idol program.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 08:56:10 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 08:41:06 AM »

Heading down now to do some chores until it's time to clean up for my lunch date.

WBBL.

I hate to steal anyone's thunder (not)...but I gave my kitchen floor a thorough scrubbing last night.

I had to...it was appalling...and I was so appalled by it that I had to scrub it between 9 and 10:30 p.m. .... Well!  Believe me!  It needed it.

Had I waited another week, it would have taken a petard to clean some of the dirt off it.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 09:11:40 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 08:42:54 AM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC.

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  As we head into our final week and a half of March, we're poised to perhaps set a new record, but not if we start becoming lazy and complacent fish.  So, let's get off our complacent butt cheeks and get some postin' goin' on before I have to bitch-slap the errant and truant from here to eternity and hell and back.

So it is written, so it shall be done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up