Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAY DAY  (Read 52380 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:PLAY DAY
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 08:48:37 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  As

I'm right here!

;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2006, 08:49:22 AM »

And a happy "7 Brides for 7 Brothers" Page 2 dance:
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2006, 08:51:37 AM »

BIG A

BK

BEE GAY

BEE KAY

Oh!

Now I get it!

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2006, 09:06:16 AM »

From "The Straight Dope", a column by Cecil Adams:

The word "petard," we note with a barely suppressed giggle, comes from the Middle French peter, which is derived in turn from the Latin peditum--the sense of which (heh, heh) is "to break wind." Which must mean either that the French had a serious gas problem in those days, or that the petard was of something less than nuclear impact.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 09:08:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2006, 09:12:50 AM »

I don't agree about Kevin. I couldn't have been happier about his ouster, and I don't think his voice is any better than anyone else's and quite frankly worse than almost all of the top contenders.

I have written in my notes from Wednesday that his higher notes in the song were really flat and that combined with no on-camera charisma  made him an easy choice for me to want him gone.

I think Bucky and Lisa will be the next two singers that will leave, and then it will be a shootout. I can't wait to see what they can come up with once we're left with people who can sing AND who have strong audience identification.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2006, 09:16:22 AM »

Re LOST:

I suppose the island IS responsible for what's happening with Sun, but I'm not sure I'm so quick to believe every word she says. There really seemed to be a strong, sexual connection between her and her English teacher, and I think they deliberately didn't show us everything that was going on to keep us guessing.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2006, 09:24:08 AM »

In Re:  Sliver

Joe and I saw that movie some years ago, and I do recall it's being rather bad.  

It seems Sharon Stone was hot off her success in the ludicrous Basic Instinct, and the screenplay of Sliver continued the former film's fascination with her panties or lack thereof as a major plot device.

What is more interesting about Sliver is that the basic concept is taken from Fritz Lang's Die Tausend Augen des Dr. Mabuse (The Thousand Eyes of Dr. Mabuse), which is based in turn on a novel by Lang's friend, Polish film director Jan Fethke.

Fethke's novel, written in 1931 under the nom de plume of Jean Forge is entitled Mr. Tot Achetas Mil Okulojn (Mr. Tot Buys a Thousand Eyes), and is in Esperanto, as are all of his novels.  I have a copy, of course, as Forge is considered a major writer of science fiction in Esperanto, and his books are often reprinted.

It is interesting that the embryonic concept of television was seen by Fethke/Forge not in terms of entertainment but as a spying devise.
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2006, 09:57:19 AM »

Discussion of last night's LOST

SPOILER
Even if she HAD slept with that other guy....I think she'd have to be further along in her pregnancy if he were the father.  

I can't remember what the timeline is, so they may be playing tricks with us.  But I believed Sun when she told Jin she's never been with another man.  I think it's "the island"...if Locke, who was paralyzed, can now walk, then surely Jin can father a child.  :)

I was assuming that she got pregnant BEFORE coming to the island. But your point about the power of the island is a good one. That makes sense.

The reason I thought she was pregnant before the island is because of a comment that was made on last night's show. Ana lucia mentioned that she and the tailsection people had only been with the front section for a week. That means that she killed shannon only a week ago! I'm thinking they've only been on the island for like a month.

That comment coupled with what jack (or somebody) said about the pregnancy test (they said that they are not that accurate if you are only a week pregnant) made me think she was a couple months pregnant at least.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2006, 09:58:19 AM »

Oooh!  While googling around for exact names and dates for the post above, I came across Wikipedia, which I have encountered before.

For those of you who don't know, it is an on-line encyclopędia with over a million articles in English and also dozens of other languages.

I encountered the Esperanto version, which has over 41,000 articles.  Well, that's more than Kurdish.  Or Latin.
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2006, 09:59:32 AM »

Re: last night's LOST

Re LOST:

I suppose the island IS responsible for what's happening with Sun, but I'm not sure I'm so quick to believe every word she says. There really seemed to be a strong, sexual connection between her and her English teacher, and I think they deliberately didn't show us everything that was going on to keep us guessing.

That guy is the same one who they showed Sun dating before, right? But he told her he was in love with someone else?

I think that they would have shown us if there was something else going on with sun and the guy.  

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2006, 10:04:31 AM »

If any IDOL fans want to know next week's theme:

American Idol 5: Top 10 To Sing Songs From The 21st Century

http://www.tvrules.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=9894

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2006, 10:09:18 AM »

If any IDOL fans want to know next week's theme:

American Idol 5: Top 10 To Sing Songs From The 21st Century
http://www.tvrules.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=9894

Well that's gonna be boring.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2006, 10:28:19 AM »

I think Bucky and Lisa will be the next two singers that will leave, and then it will be a shootout. I can't wait to see what they can come up with once we're left with people who can sing AND who have strong audience identification.

I agree that if they step it up a notch each week, a shootout can be the end result.

Sadly, though, I don't think it will happen that way, simply because we've been let down so many times in past competitions...if only Scott was gone or if only so-and-so was gone.

My favorite two singers are Mandisa and Elliot.  Next are Kellie and Katherine.

I'm waiting for Chris to actually do something different (i.e., "compromise" his style, in Simon's words).

I want to like Paris, but I don't.

I think that, in many ways, Taylor is more of a letdown than either Ace or Bucky or Lisa, because one week he's on and the next week he's a dud.  I stand by my assertion that Kevin outsang every one of this lot on Tuesday's show.  He was certainly no more off pitch than any one of them.  He also has a greater range and better tone -- which was my original assertion on page 1 -- than any of the men except for Elliot.  What one perceives of his use of the voice is an individual matter.  I never said he was a better performer or more worthy candidate.

I have no expectations that the best "singer" will win.  In fact, I expect another disappointment.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 10:41:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2006, 10:37:23 AM »

The reason I thought she was pregnant before the island is because of a comment that was made on last night's show. Ana lucia mentioned that she and the tailsection people had only been with the front section for a week. That means that she killed shannon only a week ago! I'm thinking they've only been on the island for like a month.

IIRC, a statement was made earlier this season -- I think by Jack -- that they'd been on the island 45 days up to that point.  He may have said it when he had that confrontation with the representative of "the others."

I've "Googled" about the timeline and there are some interesting comments out there...some have said that what is happening on the island first started out "in the future" but that, because things are moving slowly there, we've actually begun to catch up to their time.

Another viewer with HDTV indicated there was a date on an X-Ray Jack was looking at in a flashback that had a date of November 2005 on it.

Additionally, there have been photos of Mega-Lotto winners in flashbacks (Hurley's flashbacks)...some holding checks bearing the date 2009 on them.

So, yes, time is very much a consideration.

I believe Sun.....for now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 10:43:29 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2006, 10:46:32 AM »

All caught up!

Yep, Cillaliz, Iowa's looking pretty good to Alford now. Of course if IU gets turned down by their top choices, they'll come crawling back to him.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2006, 11:10:30 AM »

I wonder if the number of posts...and posters...we've had thus far today has anything to do with difficulty accessing this site.

I've had considerable troubles this morning getting in....of course, once I got in, I wasn't booted out...but I've gotten strange messages several times saying something about a "sock" in my "SQL".

I wondered where the odd socks ended up...

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2006, 11:12:27 AM »

Nah, RLP!  It's just that I showed up today for a change, and everybody left in droves.
--Wayland Flowers

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2006, 11:36:39 AM »

Thursday greetings!  Just popping in between off-site meetings.  This morning, through lunch, I was at Mandalay Banquet Center for a nonprofit seminar and soon I will be leaving for an agency to attend a teleconference with Dr. Bev Browning, author of Grant Writing for Dummies.

TOD - Vanities, by Jack Heifner.  Saw this produced at Cincinnati's Showboat Majestic and Faith Prince was in the cast (she was a CCM student at the time, I think).  Also saw it at the Fisher Theater in Detroit with Carrie Snodgrass.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2006, 11:44:54 AM »

As for last night's LOST

....One thing that I was wondering was whether the baby will really be jin's baby. My sis was thinking that they were gonna show a scene at the end showing that sun slept with the other guy.  I was saying, "sun doesn't lie, and she told jin she'd never been with another man so it can't be so!"....

I was wondering this exact same thing.  Her look as she and Jin were hugging really made me question if she was lying or not. :-\ But I never thought about Ron's theory:

I can't remember what the timeline is, so they may be playing tricks with us.  But I believed Sun when she told Jin she's never been with another man.  I think it's "the island"...if Locke, who was paralyzed, can now walk, then surely Jin can father a child.  :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  As we head into our final week and a half of March, we're poised to perhaps set a new record, but not if we start becoming lazy and complacent fish.  

I have been running newsletters. Now I am off to lunch with DR Kerry.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2006, 11:49:36 AM »

I'm back from LACC, and shall now start doing the fixes on the musical.  Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  This will NOT do, oh, no, this will NOT do.

Ben

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2006, 11:56:28 AM »

Mr. Kerry has time for lunch but not time to drop by and say Hello? Well, I nevah ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2006, 12:05:10 PM »

DearReaderLaura tell DR Kerry we all say Howdy!

Tomovoz

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2006, 01:01:31 PM »

TOTD: See DR MBarnum's post!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2006, 01:10:27 PM »

Re: american idol.

I think it's too early to know now who will win.  Performers grow. I think Kelly Clarkson is the most successful Idol contestant and she didn't stand out big time in the beginning.

I think many of the remaining contestants have the potential to win.  But I think it depends on how they continue to grow, and how the judges and the public (in turn) react to them.  I do feel though that the judges can and do manipulate the public into liking certain contestants.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2006, 01:11:48 PM »

Re LOST:

I either read on-line or someone on the show at the first of this season made it clear that the first season covered 43 days. I'm not sure about how many more days this has added to that total.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 01:12:57 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2006, 01:15:47 PM »

As for IDOL, the difference this season is there are no Scott Savol-caliber contestants left. Everyone left is a FAR better singer than Scott, even Bucky. So, I'm going to enjoy the competition because at least they all can sing on pitch consistently.

That said, I think this week's song choices from the 21st century will mirror the atrocious choices of last season's "Music of the 1990s" which was, by far, the worst show of the season.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2006, 01:17:39 PM »

Watched another MURDER SHE WROTE episode from the 3rd season boxed set.

This one had guest stars like Bernard Fox, John Glover, Len Cariou, and Eric Braeden. Good episode that I enjoyed very much.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2006, 01:20:42 PM »

VERONICA MARS offered up a fun missing person mystery for Veronica to solve. I liked that plot very much.

The ongoing mystery about the bus accident has now gotten so complicated that I feel lost. The show tried to give a lengthier recap than usual at the beginning of the show, but it diidn't straighten out the clues in my mind at all. This is a show which because of its complicated scenario might benefit from the same kind of half season run without repeats that '24' now enjoys. All these weeks between new episodes allows the clues to get shuffled and lost in my fevered brain.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2006, 01:23:29 PM »

Last night's LAW & ORDER found a way to bring in the Iraq war and American mercenaries fighting there in a very disturbing fashion. I really had no idea our state department hires these independent military contractors to send their own hired soldiers (at a much higher salary than our own fighting forces in the military get) to do fighting over there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up