Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ZOTZ AND THE ZING  (Read 66942 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE ZOTZ AND THE ZING
« on: March 27, 2006, 12:19:06 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes lacked both zotz and zing, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're trying to locate the zotz and the zing, and they won't be back until they find it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 12:08:29 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE ZOTZ AND THE ZING
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 12:19:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: LACTOSE!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 12:31:32 AM »

TOD: My first foray into word processing was a typewriter that had a word processing type program...

My first true computer experience was at MSUM in the puter lab on Macs... We used MacWord.. IT was not too bad of a program to use..

I had an Atari type game system. Some of the games I played were Pacman, Breakout, Space Invaders, Tank, Frogger, and a number of other games. My favorite was Frogger and Pacman
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 12:33:47 AM »

THis game got me in trouble quite often but it is such an intregal part of the 1980s along with Moon Unit Zappa and Valspeak!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pacman.html
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 12:36:37 AM »

Breakout was another one of my downfalls!!

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/6879/Breakout.html

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 12:43:03 AM »

I have bookmarked both of these games, DakotaCelt. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 12:44:34 AM »

I am going to hit the sack... Pleasant dreams George!! Take care!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 12:45:30 AM »

Have fun with the games. I hope the rest of the DR's enjoy them also. One of my workstudy students sent me the sites after our chat of old games we would play and I mentioned the above ones.

George

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 12:47:12 AM »

Goodnight!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 01:03:56 AM »

The first word processing program that I ever used was when I was in high school.  It wasn't a program on a PC, it was its own self-contained piece of equiment called a Vydec Text Editor.  It was like a program as simple as Wordpad, but in a whole big desk unit with a built in keyboard, screen and printer and all you did was type on it.  I wasn't able to use it until I took Typing 3 in my senior year.  It was cool.  It had a green screen and 8 inch floppy discs!  After PCs came along and made the Vydec Text Editor obsolete (and I graduated from high school), the first actual program that I used was Works.  I didn't use Word until much later.

George

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 01:05:07 AM »

Now, I must be going to sleep.  Goodnight, BK. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 01:07:05 AM »

I shall now toddle off to the bedroom environment as well.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 04:39:48 AM »

Good morning, all!  As soon as SLINGS & ARROWS ended, I turned off the phone and at some point after that I missed a call from our DR Rodzinski!  As soon as THE SOPRANOS ended, I went to bed and slept rather well, except for this strange dream involving Oxford, Ohio, and a creepy old house I was housesitting.   It wasn't a nightmare, thank God, but it did have a bizarre owner.  And that's all I remember of it.

Today I score a number for Miss Karen Ziemba and work at home, so I need to line up some listening.  Perhaps Mozart.

TOD:  Vidoe games?  Never!
         Word processor?  This eMac's TextEdit.  Before that, Smith & Corona.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 04:49:52 AM »

And the word of the day is: LACTOSE!
Cows lack toes.  They have hooves.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 04:50:46 AM »

Good morning, dear Larry!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 04:54:34 AM »

Yea, and verily, I have been quite absent, errant and truant.  This is the first day off I've had in quite some time that hasn't been overscheduled or disconnected.

Yes, disconnected.  The construction on the house being erected (don't get excited, DR TCB) next door once again cut through our phone line, leading to our not having phones or internet access.  I very dearly miss the untrampled lot that the lot next door used to be, with the deer using it as a playground.

No antelope, however, in Delaware.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 05:04:57 AM »

Hokay, time to give a report on Shenandoah.

Any chance to see a play at the Ford's Theater in DC in a treat, of course.  Seeing a play there in mid-week, with the seats filled with teenagers, is even better, even if they don't know how to contain their rowdiness before the show begins.  At least they fill the theater with a lot of energy.

Shenandoah bothers me as a play.  The lead character is an isolationist, who only enters the action of the Civil War because his youngest son has been kidnapped.  His actions, when he finally does become involved, are as terrible as the war itself, and result in the deaths of his two eldest sons and his daughter-in-law.  He also murders another person in revenge, even though that person has confessed that what he did was wrong.  Yet, through all of this, he never stops to consider that he himself might be wrong in his actions and motivations, even though his sons question his actions and motivations (while still following their father).  This bothers me greatly.

So, I find the play itself questionable.  But it remains a powerful work, and I'm glad that I've seen it.

Danise

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 05:17:06 AM »

Good morning all!

What a wonderful evening with all of the stories of Broadway, the Doctor, the RenFaires and the cons. I loved all the pictures as well.

I used to do all of those things.  In fact, there is a RenFaire going on right now that I usually go to every year.  If I feel up to it, I might even be going this Saturday.  

Wow, its so nice to meet like minded people!

I know about the SCA and considered joining them some years back.  I think I have their handbook floating around here someplace.

If only I hadn’t lost all of my pictures in the flood I would have tons to share of old RenFaires and Cons from “back in the day”.   Oh it sometimes just kills me that I lost so many wonderful pictures!

Oh, and I do know about “Puke and Snot”.  Has anyone here heard of “Empty Hats”?  They are also musicians/singers that I make a point to go and hear every year.

Maria, I think Bears mourning is just another example that animals are more “human” then people give them credit for.  He’s so cute right now.  He’s asleep on the couch with the blanket I put over him.  His head on the pillow and he’s snoring.   Wish I had a camera to get a shot of him.  

I have to run and help Mom get ready for her appointment.  I’ll be back later!

Oh and Jose, I had a thought.  As exciting as it all is right now, just think, a couple of years from now you’ll be thinking, “I have to go that darned place and WORK!”  Enjoy every moment of it now while it’s all new.    ;) :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 05:17:57 AM »

Shenandoah, continued.

Scott Bakula is a good actor, perhaps better on film than on stage.  His charisma plays better through a lens than it does through the diffusion of a theater.  Plus, his barritone isn't quite rich enough for the part of Charlie Anderson.  Even from just listening to the OCR, I can understand how John Cullum won his Tony for the role.  Bakula isn't there.

Meanwhile, our esteemed BK would do well to take note of an actress named Megan Lewis.  She played the part of daughter Jenny, and has a powerful, spritely singing voice, much in line with Chenowith.  In a show that has so much masculinity going for it, she took one of the two women's roles and made it prominent.  (She has already worked in the recording studio, as part of Forbidden Broadway: Special Victims Unit.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 05:18:47 AM »

Good Morning, Danise!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 05:20:35 AM »

Good morning, dear Larry!

Howdy, Woody!  I've wondered where you've been.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 05:30:12 AM »

No more Lactose, EVER!!!

I'm Lactose intolerant.

Tee!  Hee!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 05:33:40 AM »

Shenandoah, third post.

Finally, let me get a word in about the use of unit sets for shows that didn't use them when first produced.

BAD IDEA!

The problem faced at the Ford's is that they don't really have the space for a curtain, so that scenes can be performed in front of said curtain while the set behind is being changed.  The result is that sets must be changed in front of the audience, with some other action being performed as a distraction.  

Through most of Shenandoah, this isn't really a problem.  However, for the conclusion of the show, it's a disaster.

Early in the first act, there is a scene set in the local church.  The Anderson family arrives, late as usual, and takes their seats at the front of the church.  "Boy," the youngest son, is the last to arrive, to the titters of the others in the congregation.

As der Brucer has told me quite often, this scene is repeated at the end of the play, with the Anderson family (or what is left of it) arriving late and taking their seats at the front of the church.  Then Boy arrives, his family unaware of his presence, his father the last to become aware that his kidnapped son has returned at last.  As der B has told me, this is a very strong staging, and key to the success of the play.

The scene before this finale, in the original staging, is done in front of the curtain, while the church set is being put in place.

However, remove the curtain, and there's a problem.  Getting that church on stage takes time, as was clear when it was put on the Ford's stage in Act One.  There's a lot of benches that need to get on that stage, and a lot of people.  This doesn't happen in an instant.  Sadly, when you get to the return to the church in Act Two, there's no time to get that church in place.  Remove that curtain, and setting the stage behind Charlie during his final meditation would distract from that meditiation.  Take the time to set the stage after the meditation, and the timing is blown into the proverbial handbasket.

The solution at the Ford's was to not have Boy's return take place in the church.  He just shows up, and runs into Charlie's arms.  All the oomph of the finale was gone.  

Dammit, the show needed the curtain, or some way of getting the church on stage quickly.

Unit sets for shows written before the unit set craze begain just don't work.  Bleh.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 05:35:39 AM »

I am well, Larry!  And good morning, Dan (the Man)!

I'll try to catch up with what's been going on later.  Right now, I think I want to get back to bed.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 05:38:06 AM »

Before I do, I've a request of the DRs:

When you go shopping, particularly in a grocery store, how is that store laid out?  Do you generally find yourself shopping in a clockwise direction around the store, or in a counterclockwise direction?

(I am, of course, assuming that you shop for groceries.  If you don't eat, please ignore this question.)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 05:46:45 AM »

TOD:

First word processor:  Ugh!--I remember it well.  It was WordPerfect.  The DOS version.  The blue screen with all the edit characters that you had to sprinkle throughout your document in order to have it print out half decent looking.  I first encountered it one day after classes in college, when a friend recommended I use it on one of the library computers to type up a paper that was due the following day.  I was there for over three hours trying to type and print a simple 500 word paper.  Stupid WordPerfect!

First Video Game System:  While all the world was going crazy for the first Atari home system, I held out and purchased the sleek and ultra modern Atari 5200.  It was the Sony Playstation of its time.  Very cool graphics and sound.  Unfortunately, the controllers always broke down.  The joysticks would become wildly inaccurate and the touchpad buttons would cease to respond.  The Atari replacement controllers were expensive and hard to find.  There were third party controllers that were cheaper, but they lacked the touchpad and they eventually broke down as well.  But aside from those drawbacks, I spent many a happy hour with this system.  It had a great variety of games, plus its versions of the arcade games (Pac-Man, Centipede, Space Invaders) actually resembled the arcade games.  I still have the console and the cartridges.  I should drag it out sometime and give it a spin.  I'm sure I could easily find controllers on eBay.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2006, 05:48:43 AM »

'Morning, Woody!

Have you and DerBrucer any plans to see WICKED in Philly?
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 05:56:12 AM »

Before I do, I've a request of the DRs:

When you go shopping, particularly in a grocery store, how is that store laid out?  Do you generally find yourself shopping in a clockwise direction around the store, or in a counterclockwise direction?

(I am, of course, assuming that you shop for groceries.  If you don't eat, please ignore this question.)

Ya, know, now that you mention it, I realize that most of the supermarkets I've been familiar with have shifted from a counterclockwise layout to a clockwise one.  In fact, I can't think of any markets in the area that are still counterclockwise.  It has to be due to a master marketing strategy.  

Do you have any insider knowledge on this, DR Woody?
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 06:01:11 AM »

An Adobe Acrobat update (try saying that ten times fast) is informing me that I have to reboot my laptop.  I told it that I'll reboot my machine when I am good and ready, dammit!
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2006, 06:06:47 AM »

Shall we go to Page Two?

Yes, let's!
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up