Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ZOTZ AND THE ZING  (Read 66996 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THE ZOTZ AND THE ZING
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2006, 06:07:14 AM »

And here we are!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2006, 06:12:56 AM »

Page Two Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2006, 06:13:35 AM »

I am back from Philadelphia (been back since Saturday evening) and I'm all caught up. I will post later about Philly and our fun day.

Congrats to Jose on Lestat!

I found out that my friend with whom I went to Philadelphia has a friend in Lestat. I don't know Dominique Plaisant but she's a good friend of my friend David. Apparently she was in all the workshops and has been with the show since the beginning and I believe she, like DR Jose, is making her Broadway debut! Hooray for Dominque and Jose!!!

I will most likely see the show from the balcony of the Palace since that's where the cheap tickets are located. $30 something dollars if I recall correctly.

Since it's 9:15 and I should be working with Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer (they are the parents of Katherine Graham, the long time owner of the Washington Post) I needs must leave for a while.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2006, 06:14:15 AM »

Hmmm...  It strikes me as a bit unseemly to be doing a frenzy this early in the morning, let alone on a Monday morning.  

But there it is.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2006, 06:31:47 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful day here and mcuh warmer today than yesterday or the days before. Still won't get to 70 until later in the week, but we're inching up toward that figure every day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2006, 06:33:26 AM »

Sorry about being E & T last night, and especially sorry I missed getting to read DR Jose's beautiful descriptions of his first Broadway preview as they were being posted. I honestly had tears in my eyes reading them just now because I could sense his own excitement and sense of wonder at a dream coming to fruition. I'm so thrilled for you, DR Jose!!

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2006, 06:34:37 AM »

I managed to keep my eyes open last night for all the shows I watch on TV, but no sooner did I snap off the TV at 11 p.m. than I put my head back in the recliner for a few minutes and was out like a light. When I woke up an hour later, I just dragged myself to bed and fell in.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2006, 06:35:28 AM »

The basketball games on CBS ran long, of course, so I didn't get to see COLD CASE at 8. I watched another ANGEL episode off the DVD set. His son is about to be born, so the tension is palpable.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2006, 06:36:58 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I believe I'll probably be taking a nap sometime this afternoon. ;)  -I just had to get up to move my car - and I'll be moving it back in about an hour.  However, since I'm back on a semi-normal schedule this week, I'm also getting back into my exercise and healthy eating routine.  So, getting up "early" was a good a thing this morning.  And with the weather starting to warm up this week...

:)

*And I have an Opening Night outfit to start looking for in a few weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2006, 06:39:12 AM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES had another off and on episode for me. Bree's story of her denied alcoholism makes me very uncomfortable for some reason. Nice to see Lee Tergesen, one of my favorite actors, on board for a few episodes as her AA counselor (and looks like love interest but I'll bet not for long).

I'm liking the Susan and Karl storyline (mainly because I like Richard Burgi so much). Lynette is mired in an office storyline this season that just hasn't cut it with me. The Applewhites continue to be dull as dishwater. I can see blackmail ahead for Gabby and Carlos with this scheming soon-to-be mother.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2006, 06:40:41 AM »

Liked CROSSING JORDAN, too, especially seeing old TV favorites like Janet DuBois and Ken Kerchival in guest star roles.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2006, 06:44:24 AM »

Also finally found time to watch the ladies short programs at the world championships. This is after seeing the long progreams and knowing who won! Still, interesting to see how the finalists got to the positions they eventually landed in.

Sad to see Sasha Cohen and Jhonnie Rochette fall apart in their programs. I wouldn't be surprised if Sasha doesn't retire from amateur skating now. I think she's convinced she won't ever be able to skate two top-flight programs in a major competition in order to win the gold. Even when she won the U.S. Championships this year, she fell on a jump and was helped by her competition also falling.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2006, 06:46:07 AM »

I read about director Richard Fleischer's death in this morning's newspaper (he died on Saturday). Very sorry to read this. He made some really wonderful films in his career and approached his job with such directness and a lack of flash. Might have to watch SOYLENT GREEN or DOCTOR DOOLITTLE this week in tribute.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2006, 06:58:11 AM »

As for the Topics of the Day...

I can't remember the name of the first Word Processing program I used, but it was a WordPerfect knock-off - all those formatting tags.  And since this was in the days before WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) and HTML, I never really knew how it was going to look until I printed it out.  So, I usually ended up printing out whatever I needed a couple of times until I got it right.  -Oh, and, of course, there was that "wonderful" dot matrix printer with the continuous feed paper...

However, the one program I remember using a lot - pre-Word - was AmiPro.  It was WYSIWYG and I used it until it was no longer being updated/manufactured.  I think it eventually got bought by another software manufacturer.

...And I also used one of those TANG consoles when I was working as a clerk at Coast Guard HQ during my college summers.

And as for video games...

I did have Pong.  And, yes, there were those times when my brothers and I would set it up so the ball just kept going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth... Sometimes we would leave it on like that overnight.

;)

Otherwise, I remember an Atari system - Asteroids and QBert.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2006, 07:00:17 AM »

Aren't ZOTZ those super-sour hard candies? If so, they definitely have ZING!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2006, 07:22:26 AM »

My first word processor went with the Atari 800 XL that was my first computer. The Atari series had a cartridge slot that could be used for programs or games, and the first word processor I had was Atari Write, a word processing cartridge that was surprisingly powerful. You could write using it, and then save the document on the single floppy drive thus not having to swap program discs into the floppy. I used this program for a year or two until I bought a more powerful word processor for the Atari that was on a floppy disc.

Funny that those old word processors did not have spell check or very sophisticated formatting options, but I still thought I had died and gone to heaven once I started using a word processor as opposed to a typewriter on which to write my reviews. When I hear professional writers like Larry McMurtry still use portable typewriters, I am amazed. I know every writer has his own technique and you stick with what works for you, but I have a couple of typewriters sitting around here that will never get used again.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2006, 07:25:11 AM »

We had Pong, too, which was my first video game.

Later, when I bought the Atari computer, I swore I'd never use it for anything but word processing and other work related uses. That lasted about a month. Too much fun playing Donkey Kong and other games to give them up!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2006, 07:50:05 AM »

We had PONG when I was a child.  My first wordprocessing computer was a  ADAM, then I moved to a Smith-Carona Word Processing typewriter.

I prefer Wordperfect and use Word only under duress (such as at home where we don't have a full Wordperfect package)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2006, 07:51:42 AM »

Oh FJL, I don't believe I mentioned, your package went out on Friday too so hopefully you shall have a package waitng for you at home today!!

I hope you are not lactose intolerant as nothing goes with Cookies as well as milk!!!

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2006, 07:52:36 AM »

The first gaming computer I bought was a Nintendo which I bought for Vixdad in 87 or 88 when we were first married.

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2006, 08:28:24 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  DH Richard and I are home after his procedure, which went smoothly and found nothing significant (which is what we wanted).  He's pretty groggy, but awake enough to be eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and watching a DVD (which he set  up himself).  Off to join him and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2006, 08:46:08 AM »

~~~Health Vibes~~~~ for Ginny's DH Richard

vixmom

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2006, 08:46:40 AM »

~~~Continued JOB VIBES~~~~ for DR Ginny

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2006, 08:58:21 AM »

Before I do, I've a request of the DRs:

When you go shopping, particularly in a grocery store, how is that store laid out?  Do you generally find yourself shopping in a clockwise direction around the store, or in a counterclockwise direction?

(I am, of course, assuming that you shop for groceries.  If you don't eat, please ignore this question.)

The grocery stores here start with the fruits and veggies down the first side aisle. Then you are supposed to go up and down each aisle, till you get to the last row which has the frozen stuff.  Although the end of the first fruit/veggie aisle also has meat.

There are two i go to the most. One has the fruits/veggies to the left and so you start going clockwise.  But the other one i go to has the fruite/veggies on the right but the aisles are perpendicular (instead of parallel).  But that store also sells pharmacy items/toys/some clothes and more!

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2006, 08:59:35 AM »

DR Jose I also enjoyed your Opening Night (first preview) stories.  And I actually had tears at the part where you came out the stage door and found your friend standing with chocolate and champagne.

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2006, 09:03:37 AM »

Memory Lapse Department

WASHINGTON - Commuters racing to catch the train typically forget things in the car — keys, wallets, briefcases. But a baby daughter?

That’s what happened Thursday just north of Washington, police say.

“Dad forgot baby was in the car, parked the car, got on the Metro,” said Lucille Baur, a spokeswoman for the Montgomery County, Md., Police Department.

“I don’t know exactly when he got the memory flash, but he was in D.C. when it was the horrible defining moment, ‘Oh, my goodness, I think I’ve left my child back in my car,”’ Baur said.

At that point, she said, Jonathan Sander got off the southbound train and onto a northbound one, returning to the Shady Grove Metrorail station about 12 miles north of Washington.

By that time, other commuters had noticed the 7 1/2-month-old girl in the back seat of the car, firefighters had opened the locked door and the child had been taken to a hospital as a precaution.

She was reunited there with her mother.

“Child Protective Services was comfortable with releasing the child back to the mom,” said Baur. “We all believe that the child was not intentionally left in the car.”

Sander, described as “terrified, embarrassed,” was charged with leaving a child under 8 unattended in a car or building. He could face a fine of up to $500 and 30 days in jail.

Not quite as bad a the guy we had here on Long Island 20 years or so ago who put the baby inits carseat on the roof of the car, while putting other stuff in the car, then got in the car and drove off leaving the baby on the roof.... the baby in its car seat was found unharmed by the side of the road

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2006, 09:06:30 AM »

Oh and for Woody, I start at produce which is as soon as I enter the store on the right and work my way to dairy, the far left aisle.  However the frozen foods are dead center, so I then walk across the back from left to right stopping at meat against the back wall and then up the frozen aisle to the registers

Does that help?

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2006, 09:10:07 AM »

Not Dressed For Success

MONTEREY, Calif. - Authorities said a thief’s getaway plan was foiled when the stockings he was wearing got caught in a car door.

An unshaven man wearing a black evening gown, fishnet stockings, calf-high boots and a black wig robbed a USA Gas station earlier this week, police alleged.

The armed man stuffed $290 in cash into an ensemble-matching black purse.

“I’ve been with the department for 22 years, and this is the first time I’ve heard of this happening anywhere here,” Lt. Phil Penko said.

About 35 minutes after Monday’s robbery, Officer Chad Ventimiglia spotted a black Saab with fishnet pantyhose hanging from the front driver’s-side door, dragging on the ground, investigators said.

The car was pulled over and Michael Leslie Clouse, 26, was arrested and booked for investigation of armed robbery.

A plastic replica handgun was found inside his purse, Penko said.

vixmom

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2006, 09:12:59 AM »

Help Wanted: Security

TAMPA, Fla. - A man is behind bars in Tampa after allegedly asking two uniformed officers to test a crack pipe.

Police say the man doubted whether he was being sold actual crack cocaine, so he approached the officers and asked them to test his pipe so he could be sure.

Turned out it was the real thing. Authorities say the man was arrested after the residue in his pipe tested positive for crack cocaine.

He's listed in jail records as a security worker at MacDill Air Force Base.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2006, 09:13:03 AM »

**Health Vibes*** to Ginny's DH!

TOD - The Xerox Memory Writer was my first word processing system. (Xerox adapted the daisywheel printer to a typewriter. For several years Xerox outsold IBM. The Memorywriter was quieter, cheaper and easier to use.) I thought it was just SO great. Loved it. As did my DXH (Dear EX-Husband) who was then just my DH. He was a producer in the CBC Drama Department at the time and convinced the whole department to switch over to this fancy state-of-the-art device. We're talking a government subsidized network here. Canadian government, at that. And they agreed!

As for games, I have no memory. DD (Dear Daughter) loved Nintendo and we had all that stuff. Before she came along, DSS (Dear Step-Son, son of DXH) played all the games -- and we bought him everything! As I recall, these game systems were mighty expensive. Kept the boy busy, though. He now lives in Taiwan and is probably still playing. The End.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up