Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ZOTZ AND THE ZING  (Read 66989 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:THE ZOTZ AND THE ZING
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2006, 09:15:10 AM »

TOD:

First word processor:  Ugh!--I remember it well.  It was WordPerfect.  The DOS version.  The blue screen with all the edit characters that you had to sprinkle throughout your document in order to have it print out half decent looking.  I first encountered it one day after classes in college, when a friend recommended I use it on one of the library computers to type up a paper that was due the following day.  I was there for over three hours trying to type and print a simple 500 word paper.  Stupid WordPerfect!

First Video Game System:  While all the world was going crazy for the first Atari home system, I held out and purchased the sleek and ultra modern Atari 5200.  It was the Sony Playstation of its time.  Very cool graphics and sound.  Unfortunately, the controllers always broke down.  The joysticks would become wildly inaccurate and the touchpad buttons would cease to respond.  The Atari replacement controllers were expensive and hard to find.  There were third party controllers that were cheaper, but they lacked the touchpad and they eventually broke down as well.  But aside from those drawbacks, I spent many a happy hour with this system.  It had a great variety of games, plus its versions of the arcade games (Pac-Man, Centipede, Space Invaders) actually resembled the arcade games.  I still have the console and the cartridges.  I should drag it out sometime and give it a spin.  I'm sure I could easily find controllers on eBay.

Yes, I also used Word Perfect adn I hated it!!

Atari was fun. Check out the links I posted earlier DTM...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Danise

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2006, 09:16:09 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  DH Richard and I are home after his procedure, which went smoothly and found nothing significant (which is what we wanted).  He's pretty groggy, but awake enough to be eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and watching a DVD (which he set  up himself).  Off to join him and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

I'm so glad that everything went ok for you and DH Richard, DR Ginny.  Nothing like a good report to brighten up your day.  :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2006, 09:16:48 AM »

Good morning all!

Oh, and I do know about “Puke and Snot”.  Has anyone here heard of “Empty Hats”?  They are also musicians/singers that I make a point to go and hear every year.

I am not familiar with them Danise.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2006, 09:16:53 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

I think my first word processing thing was an IBM Selectric typewriter with some sort of built-in program.  Does that sound familiar?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2006, 09:17:54 AM »

JoseSPiano...at work:
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2006, 09:18:38 AM »

He's to the left of the French horn player above....and below is an unobstructed (he's on the far-r-r-r left in the back) view:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 09:19:07 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2006, 09:20:02 AM »

I received:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=30]COOKIES[/size][/glow][/move]
in the mail today!

Thank you, Vixmom!!!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2006, 09:21:42 AM »

Good JOb vibes to DR Ginny!!

Good health vibes to Ginny's DH, Richard!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2006, 09:21:52 AM »

Whew!  Such great Broadway first night stories.  Thanks for sharing DRJOSE.

DRVIXMOM I loved the stories and the pics from CON!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2006, 09:22:45 AM »

And the HOSAY pics from DRRLP.

DR JOSE....do you pronounce the "s" in your name with the Z sound or the S sound?  Which is correct?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2006, 09:23:11 AM »

DRGINNY - having those letters in the file couldn't hurt!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2006, 09:23:59 AM »

It was fun to watch the journey of Lestat. Jose was working very hard and I suspect it went beautifully. Good Job Jose!!

Thanks for capping it RLP!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2006, 09:26:17 AM »

I bought PONG for my three little brothers in 1976 or so.  I thought it was the ultimate home item....and thought I was living in 2001 - at LEAST!!

Danise

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2006, 09:26:53 AM »

My first word processor was part of something called GEOS.  That stood for Graphic Environmental Operating System and was very much like Windows is today.  It ran on the old Commodore 64’s .  

It also had an "Excel", "Calandar", "Database" program along with some others that I can't quite remember right now.  It worked pretty good as I recall.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 09:27:29 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2006, 09:30:42 AM »

We also had "Pong".  Heck, I remember my old TRS80 that had 4k of memory that I upgraded to a screaming 16k.  LOL.  

Those computers didn't have a hard drive.  If you wanted to use a program, you had to load it using a casette player.  It could take a half hour or more and as soon as you shut the computer off, you had to reload everything you wanted.  Ahhh, those were the days.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2006, 09:31:30 AM »

The grocery store layout where I shop here is exactly the same as DR Jennifer described. I don't shop in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction. I keep a running list of things I'm out of or need to purchase, and I head for those things specifically. I don't walk up and down all the aisles.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2006, 09:34:17 AM »

Thanks for those pics of DR Jose hard at work. Priceless.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2006, 09:34:47 AM »

Hope recovery goes very well for your DH, DR Ginny.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 09:35:15 AM by Matt H. »

Danise

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2006, 09:35:11 AM »

I remember when AOL was only for the C64's and was called Q-link.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2006, 09:36:46 AM »

My first word processing software was on my first computer - the Tandy 1000X.  I loved that computer - with it's HUGE 13" monitor, little square keyboard, dot matrix printer, AND 5 1/4" floppy disks.  Again I thought I was living in 2001!!!

I use Microsoft Works now and it's pretty good.  Much more sophisticated of course.

But with OFFICE MATE you could address envelopes, make labels, make a mailing list database, all kinds of neat stuff in addition to formatting pages for writing plays or lists or menus or anything.  Yup I liked OFFICE MATE...but as the changeover to IBM and IBM Compatibles happened and all of my friends needed THOSE programs so we could email documents, etc....I had to give up my Tandy.

We were doing THE KING AND I, so I loaded up the computer and printer and all the software and books and cords and cables and monitor....hooked it up in the lobby of the theatre during a rehearsal and put a note on it....FREE....SEE JACK...

And before the end of the night it was on its way to a new home where NO COMPUTER had gone before.  My only stipulation was - keep it until you get a new one - and then do the same thing.  Probably in the trash by now.....but it was a nice computer....

Now I must grieve for my Tandy....

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2006, 09:36:51 AM »

I remember my first modem for my Atari 800XL. It was a 300 baud modem, and though that was slow even for its day, everything was text-based so it wasn't too bad. When I upgraded to a 600 baud and later a 1200 baud, I thought I had the fastest computer set-up EVER!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2006, 09:37:44 AM »

And the HOSAY pics from DRRLP.

DR JOSE....do you pronounce the "s" in your name with the Z sound or the S sound?  Which is correct?

That reminds me of a joke that doesn't translate well when written out:

A fireman announces to his fellow firefighters that his wife has just given birth to twins--a boy and a girl.

"What did you name the boy?",  his chief asked.

"Jose!",  the new dad replied.

"And what do you call the girl?"

"Hose B!"

It's funnier if you tell it out loud.

"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Danise

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2006, 09:38:29 AM »

I never noticed what direction the grocery store is set up.  I think the meat is always in the back, the produce is to my right when I go in and the frozen/dairy/deli is to my left.  The rest of the store is all the can/boxed goods.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2006, 09:40:22 AM »

Best job vibes to DR Ginny!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2006, 09:42:38 AM »

...in a similar vein...

A fruit vendor is happy as a lark.  He tells all his customers that his sister has just given birth to twins--a girl and a boy.

"Heya, Joe--what do you call the girl?", one customer asks.

"Denise!", Joe replies.

"And what do you call the boy?"

"De nephew!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2006, 09:45:11 AM »

No matter how your supermarket is laid out, you will always have to travel to the furthest corner from the entrance to find milk.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2006, 09:45:15 AM »

So whatcha been up to Danise? Parachuting? Trampoline acrobatics? Hanggliding?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

FJL

« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2006, 09:46:10 AM »

Vixmom - Skip says there's a slip for a parcel in the mailroom, which will be open again after 4 pm.  I'm hoping it's the cookies.  We got extra skim milk yesterday in anticipation of the cookies' arrival.  I understand that when you eat cookies with skim milk, it does something to the calories.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2006, 09:47:25 AM »

No matter how your supermarket is laid out, you will always have to travel to the furthest corner from the entrance to find milk.

Not in my new and improved Waldbaums!!!  They have put in a "convenience  fridge" right in the front just for milk!!!

Of course if you want SKIM  (which we use) you have to travel to the furthest corner from the entrance.......
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Danise

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2006, 09:47:58 AM »

DR JRand, we think we're living now but who know what computers will be like in a few years.

Wouldn't it be great to sign on to the board and instead of having to type everything it will be like a holo Environment.  It would be like walking into a living room and whoever is online at the time will be there.  You'd be able to see and talk to each person instead of type to them.  Wouldn't that be cool?  

Of course, it is nice to be able to go back and read the posts from before when you weren't signed on.   Hummm, maybe  they could come up with a Tivo type thing  so you could rewind the room back to see what happened there before you arrived.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up