Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: UP TO PAR  (Read 23243 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:UP TO PAR
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2006, 12:29:38 PM »

DB - I'll respectfully disagree on the "clever scripting" verdict.

I was being facetious!

(Where's a good emoticon when you need one!)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2006, 12:32:13 PM »

I was being facetious!

In that case, I respectfully agree.

Cillaliz

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2006, 12:34:31 PM »

Cillaliz I enjoyed the photo of you and Mary Badham.  She looks like a fun person to know.  Interesting  background story, do you have any more?  

Here's an article from the SC Journal.  This is a lot of what she talked about.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2006/04/21/entertainment/local/b576165f7d8cad798625715700130d55.txt

She also said that Phillip Alford (Jem) retired from acting at about age 21 and went to work with his father's construction firm.   Phillip was in charge of the project to rebuild all the hospitals in Kuwait (sp) after the first Gulf War.  He recently did a big mall in Arkansas and is next going to either rebuild hospitals damaged by Katrina or do a mall somewhere else.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2006, 12:36:10 PM »

There are more stories and some other great info at this site

http://mockingbird.chebucto.org/index.html

Cillaliz

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2006, 12:37:55 PM »

One last story is that just prior to the scene where she rolls down the street in the the tire, she had been fighting with Phillip and John and I guess they were really sick and tired of her, so they decided if they pushed her really hard into a utility truck that was parked off camera they could kill her and then they could go home. So when they gave it a push they REALLY gave it a push.

Cillaliz

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2006, 12:41:14 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Thanks for the photo and the report on your To Kill a Mockingbird gala.  Having just been through a community reading program using the same book, it's been interesting to compare events.

My ladies book group, every August, reads a book that has been made into a movie.  We then have a covered dish dinner and watch the movie together.  Here are the titles we've used (not all suitable for a community read, though):

The House of the Spirits
Possession
Like Water for Chocolate
Cold Mountain
Snow Falling on Cedars
A River Runs Through It
The Shipping News
Pay It Forward
Vanity Fair

This summer's selection is Bee Season.

Thanks DR Ginny - That sounds like a great book club!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2006, 12:41:24 PM »

Re: the Disney decision about not releasing SONG OF THE SOUTH.  Cowardice, not sensitivity...and don't think for a moment that Iger is being noble when he suggests Disney is sacrificing profits for the greater good.  What he is afraid of is that if they release the DVD of SONG protests and the like will impact their profits negatively.  

It's time to stop giving into the hyper-sensitivity of people trying to make issues out-of-non-issues.   It's not enough they rabidly seek offense in even the most casual remarks (remember the poor guy who used the word, "niggardly" and  suddenly a whole bunch of people who obviously didn't understand the word were shouting for his "racist" blood), they now think that things that happened years ago were done to personally thwart and offend them.

We're currently facing a similar over-reaction at the University of Kentucky, where a coalition of students are demanding that a mural painted in a school building why back in 1934 either be destroyed or covered up, because it depicts scenes of black people working in the fields and playing instruments while a white couple in 1800's garb dances.  The mural depicts the history of the state.  These people would rather censor and re-write history than admit that black people picked crops and played musical instruments, god forbid, for the entertainment of white people.  Mind you, there is no pov from the mural, it merely depicts a certain time in Kentucky's history and the connotation of those events is left to the viewer.  The viewer can either see them through an historical prism or be offended by them (and isn't a lot of art offensive to a lot of people?), but eradicating a work of art cannot eradicate  the facts of history.  Would someone explain to me how this is any different than the Nazi's destroying Art or burning books that depicted things they didn't want the masses exposed to?

People can chose to experience Art, if they wish.  They don't  have to go see it.  Depicting our history in our art is not necessarily an endorsement or a condemnation of it (it can be).  Imposing the morals and attitudes on a piece of art done at another time when another attitude and set of moral strictures were in play is absurd.  One has to viewed  it in the historical context of its time.

Both the mural and Song of the South are both cases where the art has, in a way, also become history...because it reflects the mindset and attitudes of a people at a certain point in time when it was done.

If Disney wants to put a disclaimer on SONG OF THE SOUTH that says they don't endorse some of the views in the movie and that some people may be offended by some of the things in the movie, fine.  But put it out and let people decide for themselves.

It is this sort of politically correct smugness of knowing  "what is best for us" that makes the Left just as repressive and frightening as the arrogant Far Right and  the condemning Religious Demagogues...They all want to tell us what and how we must think and how we must act.  They all think they are somehow smarter than us, better than us, holier than us, and that they must protect us from ourselves.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 12:52:05 PM by Charles Pogue »

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2006, 12:46:33 PM »

VERY well said CP!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2006, 12:47:10 PM »

It's a beautiful day in Sioux City.  

Same here Cilla... Went to a powwow last night and that was fun.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Cillaliz

« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2006, 12:51:30 PM »

Well I'm off. I'm having a huge craving for grilled chicken, as in from the charcoal grill.  So, I'm off to get all the necessary supplies.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2006, 12:52:04 PM »

Happy Birthday William Shakespeare!!!

and in honor of the bard's birthday... A bit to be shared from one of my favorite plays....Romeo and Juliet.

Amen, amen! but come what sorrow can,
It cannot countervail the exchange of joy
That one short minute gives me in her sight:
Do thou but close our hands with holy words,
Then love-devouring death do what he dare;
It is enough I may but call her mine.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Cillaliz

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2006, 12:52:14 PM »

CP - I couldn't agree with you more

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2006, 12:55:53 PM »

DakotaCelt, lovely photos-thank you.  It was fun talking to you and hearing your charming accent.

Taht was fun and you are welcome when it comes to the pictures.

BTW, love your accent also!! :-)

Gee, I have one?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2006, 12:58:06 PM »

And in the case of both the mural and Song of the South, they are both cases where the art has, in a way, also become history...because it reflects the mindset and attitudes of a people at a certain point in time.

When I first saw Song of the South I was in elementary school in suburban Philadelphia.

A. The school regularly produced an annual minstrel show (all whites in black face, naturally)

B. The school yard selection poem "eeny, meeny, miney, mo" had a very un-PC ending line.

C. My favorite picture book was "Little Black Sambo".

D. A scant hour south, the Wilmington DE train station had all the facilities, including water fountains" labeled "White" and "Colored".

Even when I got to the Naval Academy, black Midshipmen had to sit in balcony of the town Cinema.

der Brucer - how times change!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2006, 12:58:11 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Thanks for the photo and the report on your To Kill a Mockingbird gala.  Having just been through a community reading program using the same book, it's been interesting to compare events.

My ladies book group, every August, reads a book that has been made into a movie.  We then have a covered dish dinner and watch the movie together.  Here are the titles we've used (not all suitable for a community read, though):

The House of the Spirits
Possession
Like Water for Chocolate
Cold Mountain
Snow Falling on Cedars
A River Runs Through It
The Shipping News
Pay It Forward
Vanity Fair

This summer's selection is Bee Season.

Ginny, I loved the book, Like water for Chocolate.

Excellent book and the movie was good also.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2006, 12:59:41 PM »

Well I'm off. I'm having a huge craving for grilled chicken, as in from the charcoal grill.  So, I'm off to get all the necessary supplies.

And do you know how to pluck and clean a bird?

der Brucer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2006, 01:04:59 PM »

Just flipped on the tube to catch the last 10 minutes of a M*A*S*H featuring our own BK as "Private Gilbert."

He got admonished in his hospital bed by Alan Alda and Marcia Strassman. Then he was included as "special guest wounded" at the cease-fire celebration party and is seen in a wheelchair singing a bit of auld lang syne before the news comes in that the cease fire was false. This was during the Wayne Rogers era, so a cease fire was about 10 years away.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2006, 01:05:20 PM »

der Brucer, yes indeed times have changed.

And somehow, I think the vast majority of viewers called safely watch The Song of The South with all its flaws and not turn into bigots or use the film as some sort of recruitment for White Supremacists.  After all, what power can a little ole film have when we have vast religious institutions who have turned bigotry, hatred, and intolerance into a Fine Art?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2006, 01:08:35 PM »

Pogue as Claudio in MEASURE FOR MEASURE.  The lovely wife is kneeling behind me.

nice...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2006, 01:09:39 PM »

The Blonds are upset that Angie has been getting all the good press, so:

Bonnie:

Buster:

Here's the pair: (When they were still Bonnie & Clyde)

der Brucer

Nice pictures derBrucer...

Do you have pics of Fletcher?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2006, 01:11:10 PM »

Congratulations DR Jose on becoming an uncle again!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2006, 01:19:43 PM »

Well - two raves.....like DRJANE - it will be the ELIZABETH dvd for me.

Excuse me. Three raves. I crowed about it as well last evening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2006, 01:22:44 PM »

Do you have pics of Fletcher?

Silly question...

Frolicking with Alex

Posturing

Ginny

« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2006, 01:23:29 PM »

Welcome to the world to Emily, the new DN of DR Jose!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2006, 01:25:59 PM »

Iger's "excuse" about SONG OF THE SOUTH is so much vague doubletalk. What SPECIFICALLY do they have problems with that was portrayed in GONE WITH THE WIND, THE LITTLE COLONEL, or other similarly set films that they think folks would go up in arms about? I want to know specifics so folks can address them individually.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2006, 01:28:36 PM »

Oops (Spoo). I wrote my little rant before reading Charles Pogue's. We certainly see eye-to-eye on this.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2006, 01:29:52 PM »

After all, what power can a little ole film have when we have vast religious institutions who have turned bigotry, hatred, and intolerance into a Fine Art?

Maybe these vast bastions of bigotry are envious!

On reflection, Little Black Sambo was a very subversive book:

Features a very well dressed, traditional nuclear family - Dad works, Mom keeps house. They live in a world where hard work is rewarded and miscreants are punished.

The Sambo household was the envy of every white-boy reader I knew.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2006, 01:31:07 PM »

I spent the whole of the afternoon with the exquisite PRIDE & PREJUDICE. I hadn't watched this in six or seven years, and it was like I was lifted back through the decades and spirited away with these wonderful characters. Simply sensational.

Didn't finish it, of course. but I'm hurrying my afternoon internet surf so I can get back down to it and continue to revel in it.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2006, 01:33:15 PM »

I meant to add that I have the recently released Special Edition of PRIDE & PREJUDICE which features an anamorphic transfer (1.85:1, not the wider aspect ratio stated on the box) and Dolby Surround sound.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2006, 01:42:14 PM »

Silly question...

Frolicking with Alex

Posturing

What a beautiful dog.... I suspect he is a dalmation. His markings are impressive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up