Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMAGE + SOUND  (Read 12318 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
IMAGE + SOUND
« on: August 27, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had imagery and sound, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently trying to find a caMOOra and sound person to shoot them coming home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: IMAGE + SOUND
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 12:15:13 AM »

And the word of the day is: FATILOQUENT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 12:29:46 AM »

As promised, the new Kritzerland release - if you like stunningly beautiful music, this is for you.  You know the routine - it's 19.98 plust 3.75 shipping (23.73) paid via paypal to kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

Kritzerland is proud to present a limited edition soundtrack release, first time on CD:

ANOTHER MAN, ANOTHER CHANCE
Music Composed by Francis Lai

Fate.  Chance.  Destiny.  These three themes recur constantly in the work of Claude Lelouch, one of the most distinctive and interesting filmmakers in French cinema.  In 1966, Lelouch burst on the scene with Un Homme et Une Femme (A Man and a Woman), which became an international sensation and a hugely influential film, style-wise, music-wise, and every otherwise-wise, Lelouch never quite achieved success like that again – but he continued and continues to make interesting, intriguing, occasionally brilliant, moving, funny, thought-provoking and wildly enjoyable films.

Another Man, Another Chance is a wonderful film, much maligned at the time of its release (Star Wars had just come out and that’s all anyone wanted to see and/or talk about, although it was a very strong year for films and there were many other hits – they certainly didn’t want to see a slow-moving, adult art film set in the old West), and the film disappeared quickly after tepid reviews and no business.  But time has been kind to Another Man, Another Chance and seeing it today simply makes one appreciate what a fine film it is.   The photography, the acting, the style, the leisurely pace, the way you find out certain key information as almost an afterthought – it’s unique filmmaking and storytelling and no one does this sort of thing better than Lelouch, not that many people have tried.  And his partner in crime for so many of his films has been composer Francis Lai – it’s one of the longest composer/director relationships in cinema and Lai’s music has helped give Lelouch’s films their unique quality.

Like Lelouch, Lai burst on the scene with A Man and a Woman – the soundtrack album was a major seller, and Lai’s memorable theme was recorded over and over again, with lyrics, without lyrics, and several other themes from the film were also oft recorded.  Then Lai struck gold doing the score to Love Story in 1970.   Once again, he created a theme that could be hummed by everyone and was, with many cover versions and a best-selling soundtrack album – and it garnered him his first and only Oscar nomination and his first and only Oscar win for Best Score.  In addition to the Lelouch films, all of which contain wonderful and melodic scores, Lai also wrote masterful scores for such films as Mayerling, The Bobo (another delectably memorable theme), Hannibal Brooks, Rider On The Rain, The Games, Hello-Goodbye, Bilitis, International Velvet, Oliver’s Story, My New Partner, Marie, just to name a few.

Lai’s score for Another Man, Another Chance is absolutely gorgeous, with only a handful of themes, but as always with Lai, they are memorably melodic and give the film a dreamlike quality.  There are a few short snippets of Beethoven’s Fifth and a lot of Lai, used in all sorts of interesting and different ways in the film.  No one else’s film music sounds quite like Francis Lai’s – and this score is one of his finest.

Another Man, Another Chance was released on LP, but only as a hard-to-find import.   For this first ever CD release, we’ve gone back to the original French two-track stereo tapes housed in the MGM vaults.  The cues were in slightly different order due to time constraints for LPs, but we’ve left them in their original order.  The track titles on the LP were weird, with most of the titles listing as “Un Autre Homme, Une Autre Chance” over and over again.  We’ve opted to use the titles listed exactly as they were on the tape boxes.  Another interesting thing about this score is that Gabriel Yared did most of the musical arrangements.

We’re very happy to bring this wonderful Francis Lai score to CD for the first time.  His name may not be first on a film score fan’s lips, but Lai has created some great scores and it’s great to know that he’s alive and well and regularly composing music for films.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the second week of October – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »

Welcome twenty-nine GUESTS.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 03:28:42 AM »

TOD - The mid-fifties:

Bermuda Suit Tuxedos
Power Blue peg-leg high-risers with pink saddle stitching
Blue Suede wing-tips
Real bow ties (ones you tied yourself, not clip-ons)
Grey Flannel Slacks, white bucks and argyle vest sweaters

and for the ladies - Poodle skirts!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 04:11:44 AM »

Good morning, all! I was wide awake at 5:15 am, thinking it's 10:15 in Dublin! I will adjust, and I will accomplish it by Monday.

A lot of my day - as for most folk on the East Coast - seems to be about waiting out the storm. My beloved goddaughter Charlotte's boyfriend is visiting from Michigan and the storm has cancelled his flight back tomorrow, so I hope to meet him. She's had a couple of losers and I want to be sure this kid is on a higher plane. Dominic McHugh is here from London and I hope to see him this weekend as well. I've already got my instructions on the next shows to be recorded in Dublin, so I have to put EILEEN away and begin thinking about them.

That's my weekend.

I also have lots of DVDs waiting for me along with these four CDs from my Dublin players. And that's my news.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 04:13:27 AM »

I knew I forgot something! BK, I've been getting all these "pay later" things from Paypal, but after my financial crises of 2004, the IRS mess, etc., I decided to never buy on credit again. I'm not saying you shouldn't look into it, but I'm not.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 04:24:12 AM »

Larry, I'm so glad you'll be going back to Dublin for more recordings! That's the best way to travel, when someone else is paying for it.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 04:24:42 AM »

RE: Pay later

I tried it and didn't like it. I thought I could charge it to a CC to get points and if memory serves I had to pay with a check.

Now I get nothing but spam mail from that company. Never again. It isn't worth it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 04:25:03 AM »

TOD

the 20's art deco era
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 04:25:15 AM »

We aren't doing much today. I was going to get a haircut but my barber comes in from Queens and since travel is such a mess today and tomorrow he won't be here. I'll have to wait until next week for the haircut.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 04:25:42 AM »

It is grey out. The storm in North Carolina looks pretty intense.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 04:26:45 AM »

And everyone on the east coast play it safe. If they tell you to get out do so!

Former DR Matt Hough lives in NC where I believe it made landfall. So vibes to him that he will be okay.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 04:27:17 AM »

oh I forgot.

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 04:27:52 AM »

All kinds of vibes to anyone and anything that needs them
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 04:29:28 AM »

That's sort of the way I feel, DR ELMORE - I don't buy something if I don't have the funds......and there HAS to be some kind of charge for it somewhere.....

It would take further study, I think before I would use it.....I get notifications that I can use the PAY LATER feature, but I have never been tempted to do so.

Nice note you shared with us yesterday......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 04:30:15 AM »

Saturday.....a work day.

Yes the storm looks very destructive.

Safety vibes for those on the right coast.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 04:30:49 AM »

Glad that you found sound + camera persons MR BK......

Michael

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 04:35:15 AM »

You know I was going to post the lyrics to Good Night Irene, Good Night. But boy are they downer lyrics. The "male" voice in the lyrics is very bitter about Irene. Talks about commiting suicide. this is from the 1950's.

I wonder if there is another song called Goodnight Irene Goodnight with happier lyrics?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 04:37:42 AM »

My sister Paula had a pretty kitty for about 4 years.  Earlier this year, Smudge had a growth on one of her hind legs.....the doctor had to scrape it.....and Smudge had a tough time dealing with it.

Last week when my sister got home from the Dark Shadows Festival, Smudge had another tumor.....she took her to the vet who said that kitty would lose her leg. 

The surgery was yesterday morning, but Smudge didn't survive.....she couldn't breathe after the surgery, and they were unable to revive her.....

So she has gone to the Rainbow Bridge.  Not earth shaking in the light of world events, but a sad day at my sister's house.  :'(

I only have this tiny photo right now.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 04:43:56 AM »

The revival of Chicago has moved past A Chorus Line as the 4th longest running show ever. It surpasses A Chorus Line. The original production open in matter of days of ACL and was over shadowed in its time. I saw the original production with everyone but Chita Rivera as she had left the show. It was one of the first Broadway shows I ever saw.

IMHO I think Chicago is better show and it lights of what has happened with public trials on tv and other medium the show has become more relevant than it was when it first opened.

The show keeps on being rediscovered my younger audiences. I read that they get a lot of High School groups seeing it and for man teenagers this is the first exposure to Broadway.

It also helps with the revolving door of actors every 4 months or so. Some well known some not.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 04:59:39 AM »

We aren't doing much today. I was going to get a haircut but my barber comes in from Queens and since travel is such a mess today and tomorrow he won't be here. I'll have to wait until next week for the haircut.

DR Ben, you're so handsome that you can take comfort in the fact that, when it comes to bad hair days, you will never look as bad as I!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:02:16 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 05:01:38 AM »

My sister Paula had a pretty kitty for about 4 years.  Earlier this year, Smudge had a growth on one of her hind legs.....the doctor had to scrape it.....and Smudge had a tough time dealing with it.

Last week when my sister got home from the Dark Shadows Festival, Smudge had another tumor.....she took her to the vet who said that kitty would lose her leg. 

The surgery was yesterday morning, but Smudge didn't survive.....she couldn't breathe after the surgery, and they were unable to revive her.....

So she has gone to the Rainbow Bridge.  Not earth shaking in the light of world events, but a sad day at my sister's house.  :'(

I only have this tiny photo right now.

Awww! That's really sad! I share their pain.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:05:47 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 05:05:07 AM »

The revival of Chicago has moved past A Chorus Line as the 4th longest running show ever. It surpasses A Chorus Line. The original production open in matter of days of ACL and was over shadowed in its time. I saw the original production with everyone but Chita Rivera as she had left the show. It was one of the first Broadway shows I ever saw.

IMHO I think Chicago is better show and it lights of what has happened with public trials on tv and other medium the show has become more relevant than it was when it first opened.

The show keeps on being rediscovered my younger audiences. I read that they get a lot of High School groups seeing it and for man teenagers this is the first exposure to Broadway.

It also helps with the revolving door of actors every 4 months or so. Some well known some not.

I agree with you about the show's being better than A CHORUS LINE, DR MichaelS, but I don't agree with your last comment; the Weislers will put anyone into that show - regardless of dancing , acting or singing chops - as they are wont to do with any show they produce.

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 05:12:32 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Quiet Saturday here - we're expecting Rob home from Michigan.  I have to sit myself down in front of a long movie and get those centerpiece bases done.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 05:20:53 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mega Vbes to Anyone in the Path of Hurricane Irene! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 05:46:31 AM »

All of my bad hair days are behind me - so to speak.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 05:47:02 AM »

Off to a FULL day of work......if I can survive....   Oh well.

But NO hurricane, so I am lucky.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 06:32:36 AM »

I've vacuumed, made the bed and had a trip to the post office for all of my mail. The streets are deserted: there are very few vehicles driving on Amsterdam, and I'm wondering how many people have abandoned NYC for trips up the Hudson and all points west

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 06:48:11 AM »

good morning -  it is a grey and humid day here

I went out at 7 Am and was able to score four bags of ice for the cooler and a loaf of white bead
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up